Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New Logitech Wireless Controllers available (Xbox / PS2)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Logitech Wireless Controllers available (Xbox / PS2)

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-04, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts
Originally posted by edstein
The D-pad gets used alot in Splinter Cell.
For turning the night vision on and off and selecting inventory. It works fine for that; I tried it yesterday on SC : PT. I just wouldn't use it for an extreme game like SSX 3 or for a fighting game like SC 2.

And I don't mind the triggers at all, they have a little diffent shap and a little less travel, but they work fine and don't present any problems for either shooting or racing games.

I found the buttons very responsive, but I can't really comment on range since I have a smallish family room. I'll try playing while standing outside this evening.
Old 05-17-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ahhaha.. SSX 3.. yes.. okay, I've used my D-Pad A LOT.
Old 05-17-04, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
For what? Directing your squad or something? If so I would still consider that is minor.

I just realized that this new one only takes 2 batteries vs. 4 in the original. I use rechargables so it isn't that big a deal to me, but still impressive. I might hit wal-mart tonight.

Yep, it only uses 2 AA batteries, and has an estimated life of 100+ hours with no vibration. Not too shabby. At that rate, they will last me about a year.
Old 05-18-04, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Logitech also has a mail-in rebate to save $10 each on the Xbox and PS2 wireless controllers, that along with the prices you guys mentioned at Wal-Mart make it a pretty good deal.

Here's the Logitech rebate link: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/wh.../US/EN,crid=50

It's the last two rebates on the page and they must be sent in within 30 days of purchase. Expires: Sept. 30, 2004
Old 05-18-04, 01:46 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nice deal on the rebate. I may have to bite the bullet and get a couple of these. I haven't had sterling experiences with wireless controllers but I tend to trust Logitech. Glad to hear that this unit is getting good reviews.
Old 05-18-04, 07:35 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Just so you know, the part number on the rebate is for the older wirelesss controller not the new one.

rebate - 963279-0403
new controller - 963321-0403
Old 05-18-04, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvd-fanman
Logitech also has a mail-in rebate to save $10 each on the Xbox and PS2 wireless controllers, that along with the prices you guys mentioned at Wal-Mart make it a pretty good deal.

Here's the Logitech rebate link: http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/wh.../US/EN,crid=50

It's the last two rebates on the page and they must be sent in within 30 days of purchase. Expires: Sept. 30, 2004
It's actually $5 Dollar Rebate. This applies to the new controller.

The older and bigger one is $10 Dollars Rebate.
Old 05-18-04, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Well picked one up last night. I was hoping to PM at Best Buy but they didn't have it. Haven't used it yet, but first thing I noticed was how light this is compared to the original.

And the D-pad is quite 'loose' compared to the original as well. Not sure if that is a good thing or not.

Thanks for the heads up on the rebate. Definite bargain, compared to the $60 I payed for the original when it came out.
Old 05-18-04, 07:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think once I get use to the D-Pad it will be fine.
Old 05-18-04, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kar10
It's actually $5 Dollar Rebate. This applies to the new controller.

The older and bigger one is $10 Dollars Rebate.
as far as i can tell, none of the rebates on that link seems valid; the part numbers don't match.

which one are you specifically talking about?
Old 05-18-04, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

^^ I was getting ready to post the same thing. The precision pictured is the wired version. And the cordless pictured is the original one. Who knows? I may send in the cordless one. If I get lucky, great. If not, oh well, worth a shot.
Old 05-18-04, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the d-pad gets used a lot in Shenmue 2. That game requires a lot of precise & timed d-pad inputs for all the quick-timer events. I had to put away my older logitech wireless controller and go back to the original wired S controller for that game. the d-pad on the original logitech wireless is not good.

How is the rumble in the new logitech wireless? How is the range? The older wireless controller from logitech had a huge range of over 30 ft (at least, in my experience). Also the rumble on it was stronger than the rumble on either of the original Microsoft wired controllers - which is pretty awesome for a wireless controller! and I love rumble! hehe
Old 05-18-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by young
as far as i can tell, none of the rebates on that link seems valid; the part numbers don't match.

which one are you specifically talking about?
I was talking about the Xbox version. The new controller is actually called:

"Logitech® Precision™ Controller for Xbox®"

It has a $5 Mail In Rebate
Old 05-18-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

here's my understanding.

"Logitech® Precision™ Controller for Xbox®" = wired controller, use rebate at logitech's link part number 963309-0403

"Logitech® Cordless Precision™ Controller for Xbox®" = wireless controller, Logitech® part number 963321-0403 - no rebate

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...S/EN,crid=1579
Old 05-18-04, 04:29 PM
Suspended

Yep, nothing to indicate ANY rebates for the new controllers. I'd pick one of these up for $25. Don't need one badly enough to drop $40.
Old 05-18-04, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I called Logitech and, they do not have a rebate for the Cordless Precision controller right now. They did offer a $10 discount if you currently own any other logitech product if you buy from them directly. This then gets you down to the $40 wal-mart price so deal here.
Old 05-18-04, 04:42 PM

I'd like to get this, but i play on Live 90% of the time. How does the headphone reciver work?
DO you plug it in a controller posrt and run the wire to your headset?
If so, i might as well keep the wired controller.
Old 05-18-04, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by mee2
I'd like to get this, but i play on Live 90% of the time. How does the headphone reciver work?
DO you plug it in a controller posrt and run the wire to your headset?
If so, i might as well keep the wired controller.
Yes, barring a complicated, expensive and cumbersome solution, you won't be able to play Live with this controller. Apparently Hip Gear will be maiking one that works for voice soon.

See the discussion here.
Old 05-19-04, 02:11 PM

I went to EB looking for this controller yesterday thinking I can finally use my $20 gift voucher for buying UT2k4SE. The guy behind the counter had no idea what i was talking about and tried to peddle an crappy no name, used wireless controller on me.

Anyone have any luck finding it at an EB?
Old 05-19-04, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by WepaMan
I went to EB looking for this controller yesterday thinking I can finally use my $20 gift voucher for buying UT2k4SE. The guy behind the counter had no idea what i was talking about and tried to peddle an crappy no name, used wireless controller on me.

Anyone have any luck finding it at an EB?
That probably isn't the best use of that GC, since they would surely charge the full MSRP of $49.99 if it were in stock. Better off putting it towards a preorder of the Halo 2 Limited tin or some other preorder (perhaps one that comes with an exclusive bonus) and buying this controller at Wal Mart for $39.99 instead.
Old 05-19-04, 06:56 PM
Premium Member

looks good I dont like my pelican very much the stick is too touchy. However my firend has the same model and his is not so bad so it must be a quality issue

I will be getting one of these
Old 05-19-04, 11:41 PM

Good call Decker. I'll check Walmart tomorrow.
Old 05-22-04, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I picked up a couple of these today. So far I like them very much. I haven't played any game that uses the d-pad yet. But, otherwise .
Old 05-23-04, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, I have been using the new one for the past two days. Just beat Beyond Good & Evil with it. I like the new model much better than the original and I think it is more ergonomic than both of MS controllers. Quite comfy in the hands. Not as comfy as a WaveBird, but pretty close.

The Analog thumbstick buttons are a 200% improvement over the original as well.

BTW, BG&E uses the D-pad a bit. Never had a lick of trouble. But I can see if you were to use it for a fighting game or something like Tony Hawk or SSX you might have some problems.
Old 05-23-04, 03:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Decker
Yes, barring a complicated, expensive and cumbersome solution, you won't be able to play Live with this controller. Apparently Hip Gear will be maiking one that works for voice soon.

See the discussion here.
the "discussion" is just me saying that Hip Gear is coming out with a wireless controller that has a headset jack built in.

I played around with it at E3 and while it was fairly heavy, it did work well. Memory cards go in the base part and the headset jack is located in the part of the controller that faces you. The controller was responsive and worked well - had a decent range and the buttons all worked well and felt right. They said they weren't going to use rechargeable batteries because 'gamers want to play right now rather than wait for their controller to charge up'. Makes sense I guess.

Another wireless controller that caught my eye (and hand) was made by Arsenal. The casing was rubberized and felt really nice to hold and on top of that, it worked tremendously well. They had a PS2 wireless controller as well which also worked flawlessly. Although, the D-pad on the PS2 wasn't like the dualshock.

Here's some pics of the Arsenal stuff (they have other models and also wireless light guns and racing wheels too www.arsenalgaming.com)...

Here's a crappy webcam pic (too much work to bust out the scanner or digital cam) of the Hip Gear product sheet from E3:

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.