Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

New Logitech Wireless Controllers available (Xbox / PS2)

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

New Logitech Wireless Controllers available (Xbox / PS2)

Old 05-16-04, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Logitech Xbox + PS2 Wireless Controllers available!

It seems the new and improved Logitech Wireless Controllers are appearing at stores.

http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/pr...CONTENTID=8182

I just got back from WalMart where they had them for only $40, instead of the retail $50. I will report back later on it.

Last edited by flashburn; 05-17-04 at 12:03 PM.
Old 05-16-04, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I just played Metal Arms for about an hour, and Project Gotham Racing for about 40 minutes. I am very happy with this controller. If it does even close to its expected 50+ hours w/ vibration on (100+ without), then I don't see myself using the wired controller any time in the near future.

That said, it isn't perfect. The digital pad seems very flimsy; I much prefer the original d-pad, even though that one isn't very good either. I noticed that the triggers allow for less depression, but they make up for this by being a little bit tighter. I don't really see that as being a problem, just a small adjustment.

I did not notice any lag or loss of feedback while using the pad. I also have to say that the vibration is just as good, if not better than the original pad.

I also like the ergonomics of this pad more than the S-Controller, it feels more comfortable in my hands.

For $40, this controller is fantastic. I am eagerly looking forward to their PS2 version, that should be out shortly.
Old 05-16-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you tried it on Live yet? $40 for this controller sounds like a good deal. I would have liked to see a built in battery pack with a charging station. Keep us posted.
Old 05-16-04, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pics
Old 05-16-04, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by edstein
Have you tried it on Live yet? $40 for this controller sounds like a good deal. I would have liked to see a built in battery pack with a charging station. Keep us posted.
I was playing PGR2 on Live with it. I wasn't using a headset though. It comes with a base station to plug in headset.
Old 05-17-04, 01:45 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 1,227 Likes on 747 Posts
Originally posted by kar10
Pics
OK, since you asked I'll oblige.

Damn, you flashburn, you made me spend unnecessarily today.
I was all set to get the Hip Gear controller from Fry's with a $19.99 rain check when I read about this. I went to Wal Mart and that thing is so damned beautiful I couldn't resist. I guess for $40 it's a good deal, but I certainly didn't need it. I'm really impressed so far after a couple of hours. I was concerned that it would feel awkward with that left stick so high on the pad, but it works fine. I like the dual sticks more than on the controller S -- they're rounded and rubberized like a PS2 Dual Shock, not dimpled like an S. Thay have a nice amount of resistance, unlike many third party controllers. The triggers are smaller slightly, but they have good travel and resistance. Gotta agree about the D-pad, I don't like that at all. It's raised and that makes it less sturdy and responsive (fortunately you don't use it that much except in fighting games, and I have a stick for them). The buttons are pretty good, but ever so slightly clicky compared to the S. I like the placement of the black and white buttons much more than the S; they're much easiter to reach. I was concerned they'd be too easy to hit accidently, but there's a little protective ridge that seems to do the trick. It's weird not to have an on/of switch, but I guess the auto-off feature works well enough. (Maybe that's how the Wavebird works as well, I don't know since I don't have one)
I was shocked at how light the controller is, even with batteries. It must weigh a couple more ounces than an S, but you wouldn't really notice a difference. The rumble is strong, but it does feel "different" than the S. I love that there's an easy button to turn the vibration off -- a great idea in any controller, especially a wireless one. Overall, I'm really impressed so far.

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-04 at 02:24 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Looks nice, I might have to upgrade.

I have the older version which makes the original MS controller look small. The old one is extremely large but I have large hands so it was'nt a big issue but for some games I like using S-Type size controllers.
Old 05-17-04, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 335 Likes on 242 Posts
So the new one is smaller? I found the original was a nice balance between the S and original monster, size wise.

I've used mine for almost a year and a half. Wouldn't go with anything else(wired). I might have to check this one out though.

Last edited by Michael Corvin; 05-17-04 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what does the receiver unit look like on this new controller? pics of it please?
Old 05-17-04, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by Joshic
what does the receiver unit look like on this new controller? pics of it please?
Ok. It actually looks pretty cool with translucent green plastic on the front and top button.

And yes, the controller is considerably smaller than the older model.

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-04 at 10:25 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I would really like one of these, but I don't know if I can break my lack of trust for 3rd party gear.
Old 05-17-04, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks fot the PICS!

I heading to walmart and get me 2 controllers.
Old 05-17-04, 10:39 AM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I would really like one of these, but I don't know if I can break my lack of trust for 3rd party gear.
According to their website the product is "approved by Microsoft". So I'd think while this is a third party item, like the Logitech USB Headset and the Xbox Music Mixer Microphone (made by Mad Catz), this is a high-quality licensed product

edit: BTW, my WalMart also had the new Logitech wireless PS2 controller. It was almost exactly the same size as the Xbox one (ie larger than the Dual Shock). It also looked well made, but without the color coordinating plastic accents, somehow looked less "cool". Same price, $39.99.

Last edited by Decker; 05-17-04 at 11:08 AM.
Old 05-17-04, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have never had any problems with Logitech gear. They make good products IMO. Just with they would make a force feedback wheel for the xbox.
Old 05-17-04, 11:44 AM

How is the button responsiveness? I tried the other ones and the buttons didn't seem to react quickly enough for me. I play only sports games, so its pretty important. Thanks for opinions!!!
Old 05-17-04, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker

edit: BTW, my WalMart also had the new Logitech wireless PS2 controller. It was almost exactly the same size as the Xbox one (ie larger than the Dual Shock). It also looked well made, but without the color coordinating plastic accents, somehow looked less "cool". Same price, $39.99.
Crap! I didn't really look. I guess I will be heading back over there soon. I know I will still have to use my AirStyle and the wired pad, since the Digital pad on the PS2 model is just like the Xbox pad. They really should of just stuck with a similiar design for the D-Pad.

If the digital pad didn't suck so much, this would almost be as good as a Wavebird.
Old 05-17-04, 12:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Ditto.

Plus I just can't see paying $40-50 for a third party wireless, when Nintendo can sell the wavebird for $30-35.

Sure this has rumble, but IMO rumble's just a useless gimmic and annoys me most of the time, so that's not a factor for me.

I really wish MS and Sony would get on the ball and put out first party wireless controllers. You know they would be high quality, and they could keep the exact same layout, so there would be no adusting to different d-pads, less sensitive triggers and so on.
Old 05-17-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Ditto.

Plus I just can't see paying $40-50 for a third party wireless, when Nintendo can sell the wavebird for $30-35.
Well if you look at it that way, Wavebird $35 (originally), Logitech- $40. You are talking about a $5 difference. I'm not a fan of the rumble, but 5 extra bucks is justifiable.
Old 05-17-04, 01:54 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Well if you look at it that way, Wavebird $35 (originally), Logitech- $40. You are talking about a $5 difference. I'm not a fan of the rumble, but 5 extra bucks is justifiable.
Wavebird was always $30 at Wal-mart, I bought one the day it came out.

So it's $10 difference, for a third party contoller, that will take some getting used to, and from the impressions here isn't quite as good as the first party wired controller (crappy D-pad, triggers are different).

That's enough to keep me from buying, even though I'd love a wireless controller for my other two systems.
Old 05-17-04, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually think the triggers are better than the S-Controller. But, yeah, the D-Pad sucks.
Old 05-17-04, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Looks like I may be trading in my pelican wireless controllers for one of these... Hope they hit my store soon.
Old 05-17-04, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I agree with flashburn. The triggers are fine.

I don't use the d-pad all that much so that makes no impact for me. I use it for games that require it as a third pad in addition to the analog ones. i.e. switching weapons or accessing a map or something silly. So I have no qualms with it.
Old 05-17-04, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to think if I've used my D-Pad on my Xbox games.. maybe for Midway's Arcade pack.. but I know on Sinistar, Robotron, and Smash TV I'm using the analogs.
Old 05-17-04, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The D-pad gets used alot in Splinter Cell.
Old 05-17-04, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by edstein
The D-pad gets used alot in Splinter Cell.
For what? Directing your squad or something? If so I would still consider that is minor.

I just realized that this new one only takes 2 batteries vs. 4 in the original. I use rechargables so it isn't that big a deal to me, but still impressive. I might hit wal-mart tonight.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.