Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

It has begun. - THE E3 THREAD -

Old 05-06-04, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It has begun. - THE E3 THREAD -

Well look what's being put up at the convention center today.

Before:

after:

Interesting poster since tech tv was eaten up by G4

So figured that it's time to kick off the thread for E3. discuss matters of E3 and I'm sure there will be plenty more pictures posted.

Here are some helpful tips from someone with a number of years under their belt.

DO
-look professional. If you go wearing your Big Dog t-shirt don't expect to be taken to seriously. Remember, this is Trade Event. They want to talk to people who will be buying thousands of units or able to promote their product to more then a small group of friends.

-Have a business card. Even if it's fake, aslong as they feel they are going to be doing future business with someone they just spent five minutes talking to.

-Unload your stash. It's very important to drop off your goods when you are carrying to much. They will be happy to give someone who doesn't have five bags jammed pack with crap that free t-shirt. They want professionals, not fanboys.

+These actions will get you more swag

Last edited by Jackskeleton; 05-11-04 at 01:27 AM.
Old 05-06-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cool. The convention center almost has an Atari logo thing going for it.
Old 05-06-04, 06:39 PM
Banned

As some of you may have heard, Sega is slated to make a "big" announcement that "no one would have thought of". Assuming that this announcement is going to be something huge and not just the announcement of some game, what does everyone think it could be?

Personally, I think Sega may be getting back in the hardware business. But not on their own terms. They don't have enough capital to do their own console research, so I don't see them venturing off by themselves. Instead, I see them joining up with an existing hardware developer. Sony is sucessful by themselves, so they won't need to add a company to their resume. Nintendo has always been a loner. But Microsoft, they may be the ticket to hardware revival.

When MS was first developing the Xbox, they tried to buy Sega. That deal fell through, but it was an effort to get one of the top developers onboard. It is possible that Microsoft made the offer again for Xbox2 and that Sega will now be affliated with Microsoft.

We all know that Microsoft is a software company. Some analyst have predicted that Microsoft would license their Xbox technology to other producers. Sort of like how there were a few versions of 3DO IIRC. So could Sega be licensing the hardware from MS? Will they put out their own version of the system (maybe a bare bones version to compete with Nintendo)? I think there is a possibility.

What does everyone else think.
Old 05-06-04, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Shenmue 3 baby!
Old 05-06-04, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Sega is slated to make a "big" announcement that "no one would have thought of"
Maybe Sega's pregnant.
Old 05-06-04, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Damn Jack - your camera must have one heck of a zoom to get pictures like that from Tampa.

But seriously, I would love to see some sort of hardware announcement from Sega. The Dreamcast was lightyears ahead of the competition with their VMU idea, and I'd like to see this implemented again in the future. Hopefully we are lucky this E3.
Old 05-06-04, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I loved Dreamcast. . .even though it was short-lived, if Sega came back, I'd be behind them most definitely.
Old 05-06-04, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by RyoHazuki
Shenmue 3 baby!
sweet lord in heaven! i hope so!
Old 05-06-04, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sega will buy Nintendo and then Microsoft will buy Sega and then Sony will buy Microsoft and then they'll create a super console to go up against the Phantom which is expected to take over the console market. It's the only way any of those companies can hope to compete against Phantom.
Old 05-06-04, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Damn Jack - your camera must have one heck of a zoom to get pictures like that from Tampa
My love for E3 made me break it up and move back to los angeles. <3 <3 <3
Old 05-06-04, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
Sega will buy Nintendo and then Microsoft will buy Sega and then Sony will buy Microsoft and then they'll create a super console to go up against the Phantom which is expected to take over the console market.

The Imagination Machine.....Reloaded!

http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=584
Old 05-06-04, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^

I thought it would look a little something more like this:

Old 05-06-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So who are the swag daddies this year?
Old 05-06-04, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Uh - oh - schwaag seekers. Should we have a separate swag request thread so this one doesn't get cluttered with that?
Old 05-06-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I still think Sega is going to go back into the hardware business...maybe a portable? If Sega says a 'big announcement' I really don't think they mean a game...maybe exclusive partnership with Nintendo/Microsoft?

Less then 1 week...sweet... I'm gonna go all three days!
Old 05-06-04, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nickdawgy
So who are the swag daddies this year?
I thought we did this already in another thread....I know I'm already taking care of a few.
Old 05-07-04, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Copenhagen
I thought we did this already in another thread....I know I'm already taking care of a few.
What thread? I'd like to get in on some action
Old 05-07-04, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Here, here.
Old 05-07-04, 01:14 AM

It's a speculation that Sega might make another console. Gamespot had a good assumption that since Sammy & Sega are in the same boat, and Sammy working on the next Guilty Gear on a new Atomiswave board, that Sega may develop a new system to handle that specific realm of games seeing as how the Dreamcast was pretty much arcade hardware as well.
Old 05-07-04, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nickdawgy
What thread? I'd like to get in on some action
My mistake some people pimped out already in this thread..I'll start the 2004 edition.

Last edited by Copenhagen; 05-07-04 at 01:51 AM.
Old 05-07-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have my Barcode ready to get my ID. This will be my 5th year in a row.
Old 05-07-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

seeing as how the Dreamcast was pretty much arcade hardware as well.
Except in the case of the Dreamcast the console predated the arcade hardware.

Seeing how Sega's original invite specifically said that we "won't be able to guess" what their big surprise will be, it's a fairly safe bet it's not going to be a new console or an exclusive partnership, seeing how those are the two most obvious scenarios imaginable.
Old 05-07-04, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well - there's only so many things it could be... most of them simply aren't exciting enough to make it worth announcing a secret surprise.

Getting back into the hardware business... either handheld or home console. Now, their new partner does the whole NeoGeo thing, so these two together making a console would probably be the biggest thing they could announce. Would it be wise? I dunno. It would either be a really good idea or a really bad one. Handheld? Well, this market is dominated by a single company, so it could be good timing. But then - the PSP is coming out and of course Nintendo has new handhelds coming - and in spite of the failure of the nGage, the cell-phone/pda game market has potential to take off. Who knows.

They already announced they are excited about their new lineup of games in the same message, so it's probably not related to games they are releasing - or is it? Perhaps they have snapped up some other developers and are expanding their library. Or perhaps they have some new series of revolutionary games that will blow our minds. Personally, I can't see any software announcement being anything but anticlimactic given the weight of the "big surprise" they're keeping so secret.

Then there's the idea that they'll be merging with another company - not likely since they're so pumped about their new lineup - unless they're pumped about their new lineup and how it can contribute to Nintendo, Sony or Microsoft exclusively.

I'm thinking it is gonna either have to do with some new hardware or else some major company merger or buyout. If they announce new Arcade machines, that's still hardware... We'll see next week I guess.
Old 05-07-04, 09:46 PM
Banned

This just popped in my head. Where is Sega popular? Japan. Where is Microsoft not popular? Japan. What if Sega released the Japanese version of the Xbox2 under their brand name? That would allow Microsoft to pull funding out of Japan completely and let Sega have a stab at putting a console on top.

It would basicaly be an Xbox2, but Sega would design the controller (lets hope they can do better than the horrible DC controller) and exterior to meet a more Japanese feel. Makes sence to me. Any comments?
Old 05-07-04, 09:55 PM
Suspended

Wow - that's BRILLIANT! We may have a winner.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.