Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The X-Box Price Drop Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-04, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Daryl
I bought one at FYE for the $119 after rebate price so I could have a Live machine separate from my modded one.

If you don't have an FYE near you, you can see if you have one of the other TransWorld Entertainment stores (Coconuts, Wherehouse, etc) near you. The rebate is good at all of their stores:

Store Locator
How long is the rebate going on for? And does anyone know if the 30 MIR is good only for the regular Xbox or is it also good on the Halo bundle?
Old 04-01-04, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn.... I'm thinking about selling mine to get this one!
Old 04-02-04, 04:19 PM

fye.com sale/rebate end 4/28
Old 04-14-04, 01:46 PM

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content...e=ret&aid=3267

US Xbox sales double after price cut; Sony plans next move

Rob Fahey 11:57 08/04/2004
New $149 price point does wonders for US Xbox; Sony prepares to respond

Microsoft's decision to cut the price of the Xbox by $30 in North America at the end of last month caused weekly sales in the USA to double - while Sony is rumoured to be planning to drop the PS2 to $149 with two bundled games in the coming weeks.

The Xbox cut dropped the US price tag to $149 as of March 30th, and the company has confirmed that retailer feedback indicates that sales of the console doubled in the week immediately following the cut.

Some commentators expected that the impact of the cut would be minimal, with $30 being seen as too small a drop to cause significant consumer interest - but with the launch of a special $169 Halo bundle next week, strong sales are likely to be sustained for a few more weeks.

The question, however, is just how long the sales boost will last - with some analysts suggesting that the "bounce" isn't sustainable. Certainly, there are many factors which suggest that Microsoft will cut the Xbox price again before Christmas 2004.

All eyes are now on rival Sony, with sources close to the Japanese giant suggesting that it plans to drop the US PS2 price point to $149 later this month - and will add two games (as yet unnamed) to the bundle as well, bringing the effective price of the hardware below the Xbox.

Sony's ability to respond quickly to Microsoft's price cut (assuming that it had any particular desire to do so) has been hampered by the fact that its financial year ended on March 31st - and making a major alteration to the price point of the PS2 in the fortnight following that date would have raised eyebrows in the Japanese financial community.

Here in the UK, the Xbox situation is confused somewhat by the preponderance of software bundle deals, with Microsoft's EMEA team viewing the price structure in Europe as a completely different proposition to the US structure. However, the team is known to be observing sales trends in the United States carefully, and may implement price cuts here depending on the impact of the Stateside cuts.

Chris
Old 04-14-04, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 401 Likes on 301 Posts
If the PS2 adds a couple of halfway decent games to the bundle, then I might buy the system.
Old 04-15-04, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just picked up an X-Box this morning with the 2 free games at Coconuts for the $149, and got the rebate form. I'm happy I called and got the last one put on hold .
Old 04-15-04, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 165 Posts
There's a chance the PS2 price drop might not happen until E3, but that's less than a month away now.
Old 04-15-04, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up the Halo X-Box set this afternoon from Gamestop, they said they had only received two for the entire store.
Old 04-16-04, 01:45 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
My store got 4. Good luck trying to find one next week.
Old 04-16-04, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
The store I work at got 8, but we had 7 pre-orders.
Old 04-16-04, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I managed to get 1 of 2 remaining holiday bundles at Walmart. Too bad the expiration date for the 2 free months of X-BOX live was 3-31-04
Old 04-16-04, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Mine is currently being shipped to me.

I had heard that is was going to be more limited than originally thought. Can not wait. I should have it in my hands early next week.
Old 04-16-04, 01:09 PM

I had the choice between the special edition and normal x-box and I chose the black one. The green color just looks ugly from the pictures I've seen so far. Plus, the rest of my HT is black.

Can anyone who's seen the green x-box personally chime in on how ugly/beautiful it looks?