Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-04, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I downloaded the rosters from mvprosters.com. They're pretty good. The only thing is, once you move guys up and down.. you'll have to "fix" many/most of the rosters. That means not just the majors, but AAA and AA too. That did take awhile. Especially because all the minor league rosters must have at least 10 hitters... so you'll have to sign some of the bogus FAs to fill in.

I played game #1 with my Mets dynasty, with Glavine beating the Braves (wish he could have done that last year!) 7-0 on Pro level. I hit five solo homers.

Then I realized when I started game #2 that they've got Jose Reyes as a righthanded batter, instead of a switch hitter. But it seemed that even though I changed the rosters... the correction didn't come through. So I had to fix the roster and then restart the dynasty.

So, unless I missed the way to make a correction in-season, please make sure you're happy with your rosters before you start a dynasty!
Old 03-22-04, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Go to Create/Edit Player while on the dynasty mode menu.
Old 03-22-04, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anybody have any tips for making trades. I'm giving up my full team and get a trade to go through, other then Nomar, who they couldn't wait to unload

Also, is there a way to get more revenu? I need some payroll room. ha Also, is it possible to tyour team manager and chemisty above a C or so?

Fun game.. I must say.
Old 03-22-04, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts
Originally posted by SpaceBoy
Anybody have any tips for making trades. I'm giving up my full team and get a trade to go through, other then Nomar, who they couldn't wait to unload

Also, is there a way to get more revenu? I need some payroll room. ha Also, is it possible to tyour team manager and chemisty above a C or so?

Fun game.. I must say.
Trade some higher salaried players for cheaper ones is the best way to free up revenue. Of course then your players making 100 points per year will start complaining and saying they are underpaid

It's a vicious cycle
Old 03-23-04, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man..I've been having a blast since figuring out how to hit more homers.

I was up 3-2 in the 8th when Pedro gave up a solo home run (my finger slipped and I gave the guy a meatball to hit). So now it was tied 3-3.

With 1 out on the 9th I pinch hit Kevin Millar for Pokey Reese and WHAM! a Walk-off homerun!

I also have a bigger selection of bats to choose from, and I even gave the Red Sox their official cleats! mvpmods.com has like everything on there.
Old 03-23-04, 12:16 PM

Off to a 3-0 start with my Mets dynasty on the Pro level. Seems a bit too easy to homer (Piazza has five in three games), and it's nearly impossible to draw walks (one in three games), but otherwise I think it's a lot of fun.
Old 03-23-04, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ESPN has been pushed back til april...... AHHHHHHHHHHH
Old 03-23-04, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by raven56706
ESPN has been pushed back til april...... AHHHHHHHHHHH
Bah! I just want a good baseball game to play on Xbox Live... am I asking too much?
Old 03-23-04, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm liking MVP... about 10 games in. Played a few games on Rookie, a few on Pro, and now i'm playing on All-Star. Home runs havent been a problem for me at all, neither has pitching. A few nitpicks that are starting to get annoying.

First, MVP Baseball must be the stupidest game at judging what constitutes an error. I had two clean hits taken away on what were called errors for no reason, and a few mishaps that should have been called errors but ruled extra base hits. Another is that the CPU starts warming up pitchers in the bull pen for no reason, as early as the 4th inning. And finally, i have yet to walk once in my season. While i do swing at a lot of bad pitches, i have yet to see a 3-2 count result in a walk. The CPU always seems to throw strikes. Very annoying.
Old 03-23-04, 06:14 PM

Originally posted by Achtung
Bah! I just want a good baseball game to play on Xbox Live... am I asking too much?
Plenty of people will be picking up a good baseball game for Xbox Live tomorrow.

Old 03-23-04, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I have drawn a few walks, and am a pretty free swinger. I norm just take a ton of pitchers early in the first few innings, because the computer always leaves the pitcher into until I shell him...

I agree, about them warming them up for no reason. I see them in the 4th inning all the time.

My major gripe is the fact there are so many triples. If you misplay the ball even a littel, automatic triple by the computer. Also, it shows your runner as being close to the base, when you're watching the little diamond to advance runners etc.. yet will get thrown out easy, ends up I'm not even halfway there really...
Old 03-23-04, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Plenty of people will be picking up a good baseball game for Xbox Live tomorrow.

Unless you're talking about ASB 2005, they won't. ESPN was delayed.

EDIT: Bah, shoulda read up further, someone already mentioned it.

Last edited by nickdawgy; 03-23-04 at 07:49 PM.
Old 03-23-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by fumanstan
I'm liking MVP... about 10 games in. Played a few games on Rookie, a few on Pro, and now i'm playing on All-Star. Home runs havent been a problem for me at all, neither has pitching. A few nitpicks that are starting to get annoying.

First, MVP Baseball must be the stupidest game at judging what constitutes an error. I had two clean hits taken away on what were called errors for no reason, and a few mishaps that should have been called errors but ruled extra base hits. Another is that the CPU starts warming up pitchers in the bull pen for no reason, as early as the 4th inning. And finally, i have yet to walk once in my season. While i do swing at a lot of bad pitches, i have yet to see a 3-2 count result in a walk. The CPU always seems to throw strikes. Very annoying.
Yeah, as I mentioned earlier, they are horrible at errors. When someone is safe at first because you bobbled the ball, I think that's an error. But it's called a base hit. However, when my player hits a line drive and the computer doesn't come anywhere close to catching it (or even trying to) it's called an error.
Old 03-23-04, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone play All Star 2005 yet?
Old 03-23-04, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
I rented the game and it didn't come with directions, how do you peg someone?
Old 03-24-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Frank_M
Anyone know of a good site to download updated rosters (majors and minors) for PS2? I'm not online with the PS2, but I do have a sharkport, so I'm able to update that way.

Thanks
www.geekrosters.com

the site is run by one guy and he has the most accurate rosters you can find...MLB....AAA...AA...theyre all good....he also has multiple updates with his rosters...so anything that might actually be wrong early, will be right in a later update...and he has lots of them
Old 03-24-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Tarantino
Haven't played it, but IGN gave it an 8.0. MVP 2004 got a 9.0. but no Live = no sale.
Old 03-24-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Okay, I played 3 games last night and I am 1-2, on pro I lost 3-0 and 2-0 and I can't hit to save my life. On rookie I won 15-0 there has to be an in between...

Jason
Old 03-24-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've found that tweaking the sliders makes for a much more "realistic" game. My current record with the Yanks is 22-6 on pro mode. Most games are 3-2, 2-0, etc. with the occasional blowout. Anyone interested in adjusting the sliders might want to check over at gamefaqs. There are several threads regarding gameplay tuning.
Old 03-24-04, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Any issues with ASB on XBOX? I've heard things...
Old 03-24-04, 09:17 PM

Maybe if you could be more specific, an answer would be possible.

To be honest, though, if you're interested in finding out about any sports game, you'll learn more (and more accurately) about them in the Operation Sports forums after just a day or two of general release than you would by reading any number of rushed reviews.

And, sadly, this is even more the case with baseball than the other sports.
Old 03-25-04, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TaTTooD
www.geekrosters.com

the site is run by one guy and he has the most accurate rosters you can find...MLB....AAA...AA...theyre all good....he also has multiple updates with his rosters...so anything that might actually be wrong early, will be right in a later update...and he has lots of them
Whoa. Thanks a bunch. The geekrosters guy is on the ball. I'll try to DL it tonight.
Old 03-26-04, 08:06 AM

Originally posted by Tarantino
yeah I played around a little bit with it last night

I like the new Broadcast camera when it comes to pitching only, hitting is the shits with it, IMO

it's alot harder to strike someone out now though

unless i'm missing something, when youre in franchise and someone gets hurt, you cannot manually put the player on the DL, like I said maybe i'm missing something.

but the game itself is an improvement over last year.

although the game play is accurate...I was playing as my hometown Red Sox, and I got the bases loaded up, and Halladay (I was playing Toronto) got yanked for Bruce Chen, David Ortiz came up and on the first pitch he wrapped a Grand Slam off of Chen...so at least it's accurate
Old 03-26-04, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by El Talon Del Monstruo
although the game play is accurate...I was playing as my hometown Red Sox, and I got the bases loaded up, and Halladay (I was playing Toronto) got yanked for Bruce Chen, David Ortiz came up and on the first pitch he grounded into a game ending double play...so at least it's accurate
fixed
Old 03-26-04, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

(MVP) I'm 30 games into my season(Pro Level, 25-5). The one thing i have noticed the most is that the computer doesn't steal a base. Doesn't even attempt to, it's like they know i wanna throw their ass out so they don't even bother trying. Anyone else notice that?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.