Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-04, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts
I have had the computer steal a base a few times. Ichiro tried it twice in one game. But yeah, they definitely don't do it enough.
Old 03-28-04, 07:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a warning, a minor whining session follows...

Can anybody give me a quick comparison between WSB 2K3 and the new MVP? I just recently started WSB. I played a few games on the easiest level and really enjoyed it. However, since I've bumped it up to Pro, I'm not having any fun at all.

Through 8 games or so, I was hitting the ball pretty consistently using the standard hitting system, but only had about 2 HRs. The last 3 games, though, I have a total of 4 hits. FOUR! I've reached base by error more often than I have by actual hits. I thought that I may have accidentally changed the difficulty level to Legendary, but it's still on Pro.

For whatever reason, it seems like the CPU just got tougher. When I did make contact, 50% of my outs were infield popouts (no exaggeration). So I changed to the timed hitting (supposedly easier) and it wasn't any better. Factor this ridiculous inability to get a hit in with some other flaws such as getting the wrong fielder selected when the AI puts the ball in play, the AI pitcher only throwing strikes that hit the outside edges of the zone (it never hangs one over the middle), the AI hit streaks where it gets 4-7 hits in a row, no matter where I throw the ball (even when it's WAY out of the zone), etc...

I'm certainly not expecting to hit .600 as a team with 5 HRs per games, but this is not much fun as is. So back to my original question: How does MVP stack up in comparison?
Old 03-29-04, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am waiting to get ESPN because of the broadcast and the feel of real tv presentation.....

But whats the difference between MVP Baseball and ESPN Baseball.
Old 03-29-04, 09:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Because of Live play I'll be deciding between ASB 2005 and ESPN Baseball. I'm leaning toward ESPN also because of the graphical presentation - I think they've done a great job with the ESPN license. But ASB got a decent score on IGN and since I loved the series on the N64 I'm going to also consider it once both have been released. From what I've read, ASB has some good scenario modes (including Bartman!), detailed stadiums, and good play-by-play. WSB and ESPN games have always had the best graphics, great gameplay, and awesome commentary, so right now it's between those two for me.

Incidentally, the lack of Live play alone didn't sway me from considering MVP this year - it's those cartoony EA graphics. Why must they make every sports game look like the players just came out of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade? Or a comic strip?

Jeremy
Old 03-29-04, 01:21 PM

Originally posted by jrutz
Because of Live play I'll be deciding between ASB 2005 and ESPN Baseball.
If Acclaim had simply been able to make the classic view for fielding the mandatory view when playing online, it would have been very tough to beat.

Instead, you're forced into a new, unorthodox camera that has some issues. The first game you play with it, you'll think the Fielder Cam is horrid, but eventually you do get more used to it. However, its presence alone will drive most online gamers to ESPN by default.

It's a damn shame since the actual game is excellent.
Old 03-30-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Does ESPN for the xbox have online (live) play? If so how does it work? do you sit in a 'chat' style room waiting for someone to start a game?
Old 03-30-04, 11:52 AM
Retired

I had pretty much decided to get ESPN as the reviews in EGM said it was pretty close to being as good as MVP, and it was priced $10 less.

But I went to Target yesterday, and saw MVP for $39.99 for the X-box and picked that up instead.

I'm very pleased with it so far. Especially the pitching system.
Old 03-30-04, 12:56 PM

i've played wsb for the last 2 years, but i picked up mvp since this year's version isn't out yet; the graphics are crap! the players are so so, but the stadiums are a joke. it looks like a five year old drew the stadium & cityscapes 2 slap in the background. the dynasty made has nice depth, but i can't take an xbox game that looks like belongs on my old nes. wait another week & buy espn baseball.
Old 03-30-04, 01:22 PM
Retired

Well, some people care more about gameplay than graphics.

But if graphics are your bag, definitely go with ESPN as the reviews say it's close to MVP in gameplay and a little better in graphics (better stadiums, crowds, and player models, player faces not as good).
Old 03-30-04, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Well, some people care more about gameplay than graphics.

But if graphics are your bag, definitely go with ESPN as the reviews say it's close to MVP in gameplay and a little better in graphics (better stadiums, crowds, and player models, player faces not as good).
Hy Josh, was this reviewed in the newest EGM? What's on the cover? I'll have to go look for this after work. Is the review a full page or one of those smaller column reviews?

Jeremy
Old 03-30-04, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just pitched my first no-hitter in this game... with Brandon Duckworth, threw a perfect game for Houston's AAA team (New Orleans). First baseball game I've ever had that actually acknowledges the no-no in the post-game commentary.
Old 03-30-04, 01:54 PM

Well I'm almost sure I'm gonna buy MVP, but I was just curious:

What does everyone think is the worst/most annoying thing about MVP?

Sometimes this is a better way to judge a game than just what is good about it. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-04, 02:00 PM
Retired

Originally posted by jrutz
Hy Josh, was this reviewed in the newest EGM? What's on the cover? I'll have to go look for this after work. Is the review a full page or one of those smaller column reviews?

Jeremy
Smaller reviews. MVP was reviewed last month, the rest of the games this month. Metal Gear Solid 3 is on the cover this month, can't remember last month for sure, maybe Splinter Cell or Hitman 3.
Old 03-30-04, 02:02 PM
Retired

Originally posted by BubbaTC

The game miscores stuff sometimes. i.e and error when it shouldn't be one, a sacrifice when it should be a fielder's choice (for instance, on a failed bunt when the lead runner gets thrown out).

There seems to be too few homers as well, I've given up 2, and hit none in 4 games so far. But that's better than too many IMO, so not really annoying.
Old 03-30-04, 09:44 PM

Ok I bought MVP today for PS2, and so far it's awesome. However, when I tried to plug in a 2nd controller, the game would not recognize it. This controller works with every other game I have, and I tried both controller slots. Has anyone else had this problem? I think it's probably an error on the disc, so I'll probably exchange it for another copy. Any advice? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-30-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I would say, the fielding at times. It seems to select the wrong fielder quite often on balls near the gap, and they fall in for a bloop hit. What makes it worse, is how slow your guys will recover, and a bloop hit will be a double-triple most the time.

I also really can't stand the way, it's almost impossible to turn a double play. The guy always takes out your guy at 2nd, even if you don't hold onto the ball. That, and when you catch a ball and have to turn toward the bag for a throw to the base, you guy comes to a complete stop etc.

Overall though, I couldn't be happier. A really fun game, can't wait for my buddies who have it on various systems come over and we get some 4 player battles going..
Old 03-30-04, 10:04 PM

Overall AI.
Old 03-30-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the most annoying thing is the amount of retro jerseys in the game. WSB 2k3 had tons more, and they were all unlocked at the start, no need for points to unlock them, etc.

As far as gameplay, the error bug is the worst. When real errors happen, they aren't called. When I should be awarded a triple, it's an error because supposedly the fielder misplayed it, even though he wasn't even close to it.

Still a great game, though. Glad I bought it. I hope ESPN is even half as good.
Old 03-30-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Miscalled errors, hits, etc are annoying in MVP. Too big of a penalty on misplayed balls leading to easy doubles and triples for the CPU. And slow movements by the infield. A routine ground ball to the first baseman results in some weird animations and abnormal movements that make plays closer then they need to be.
Old 03-31-04, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Also, the players complain too much. It's like you gotta use them every game, or they complain about playing time.
Old 03-31-04, 10:39 AM
Retired

Another minor annoyance in MVP, is that there seems to be too many line drive outs, both hit by me and the computer.

I take back my homer gripe, I hit two last night, one was a game winning shot off of Mariano Rivera to beat the Yankees.

Also, according to gamepro, ESPN looks worse than MVP and even MLB. They said the stadiums and crowds were better (as did other reviews) but that the lighting was off and that the animation wasn't fluid and thus was unrealistic.

From all the reviews I've read, and some time playing MVP, it looks like I made the right choice.
Old 03-31-04, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Also, according to gamepro, ESPN looks worse than MVP and even MLB. They said the stadiums and crowds were better (as did other reviews) but that the lighting was off and that the animation wasn't fluid and thus was unrealistic.

From all the reviews I've read, and some time playing MVP, it looks like I made the right choice.
GMR reviewed all four baseball games. The choice is pretty clear - MVP is the gamer's choice for this year. They gave MVP a 9/10, and all the others a 7/10.

Specifically about ESPN, they said it was simply boring. The crowd noise didn't get excited about any particular part in the game. They also said the confidence meter was a non-factor - something about Clemens pitching with an 11-1 lead and having an empty confidence meter. Other than that it was pretty solid, no bugs or anything except for the occasional line drive over an infielder's head.

But something I'm interested about - Sega has delayed release, so no doubt there will be differences with what was reviewed. And there's something going on at Operation Sports - they aren't commenting AT ALL on the beta and it seems this is caused by some differences between them and Sega. I don't know if Sega wants them to hold off comment until the final has gone gold? Who knows, anything can change.

Based on everything I've read so far, however, I'm going to stick with ESPN. MVP might be better from a gamer's standpoint, but I like the entire package - presentation, online play, realistic play and situations.

Jeremy
Old 03-31-04, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, I'll be picking up ESPN also. Need a comsole baseball game, and ASB 2005 won't cut it. Plus, the $39.99 price minus the $5 GGC at Best Buy is even better.

Now if they'll ever release it
Old 04-02-04, 02:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm loving MVP. My roommate bought it after I'd been waiting for ESPN, but once I started playing it there's no need for ESPN. Hell, the online play was a factor at first, but think of the opportunity for dropped games playing 9 innings...I bet half of the games aren't even finished.
Old 04-07-04, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So, anyone pick up ESPN yet?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.