Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What 2 games are you buying from Toys 'R' Us?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What 2 games are you buying from Toys 'R' Us?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I stopped by this morning and picked up Midnight Club 2 and The Hulk (got the last copy I could see that was there) for the XBOX.

Then when I was at BestBuy I was able to PM KMart for Ghost Recon Island Thunder and got that for around $28.XX.
Old 08-20-03, 07:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. Got GC Enter the Matrix and Splinter Cell. Wanted Hulk instead of Splinter Cell but the only other GC game they had available from the promotion was Finding Nemo.

BTW - I DID try to get Best Buy to match it and they flat out refused. They don't "do buy-1-get-1 free" matches.
Old 08-20-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts
I'd go to another Best Buy or Circuit City, they should match it. They did for me with no problems, the employee didn't even ask for the ad, she already knew what it was about.
Old 08-20-03, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So if you price match do they let you choose from any games or the same games from the TRU list?
Old 08-20-03, 10:50 AM

circuit city will only price match the ones in the ad--and they were going to call to make sure it was in stock and at that price...bla bla bla...
Old 08-20-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well they might let you choose different games if you can act like that it's any game and not just a list. Sometimes the people want to get it over with and won't care, sometimes you have the "by the book" type of people that read the fine print, and all that.

It's basically a total case of YMMV.
Old 08-20-03, 12:46 PM

I stopped by yesterday and picked up Midnight Club II (had no tags, but asked a friend who worked there and he went back and got me a copy) and Tomb Raider (which probably wasn't the best idea for my free game). I was gonna sell my second game anyhow, which is what I'm doing with the Tomb Raider game after reading the reviews...gah! But I'm keeping Midnight Club II for sure.
Old 08-20-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went in on Sunday at around 11:30am and picked up the last copy they had of NBA Street Vol. 2 and Midnight Club 2 both for the Xbox. Didn't really want Midnight Club 2 so I've kept it sealed until I find someone who wants it more than I do.

Oh yeah...
Originally posted by Setzer
The gal at the counter was cute and she told me to check back on Wednesday...I ended up getting her number so my trip wasn't a total loss.
Bro, she gave you her work number.
Old 08-20-03, 04:18 PM

This is how my story has gone so far with this deal.

Sunday:
Went to Best Buy to price match. They said they could not price match cause they would lose money. The guy at the counter said that as an employee, they get the games at $40 each. Like I cared. :-) So, he told me the best thing to do was to get them at TRU. So off to TRU I go. There, I picked up ENTER THE MATRIX (XBOX) and TOMB RAIDER (PS2). Headed home. Logged on to ign.com and read the reviews. I hanged my head in shame. Especially for Tomb Raider. So....

Monday:
Took Tomb Raider back (since I did not open it) and exhanged it fo SPLINTER CELL (XBOX).

Wednesday:
Coming back to work from lunch, I decided to take another chance with BB, making sure I didn't go to the same guy. This time, the girl behind the counter, said she would be able to price match if TRU had it in stock. I love it when policies change from one rep to another. I picked NBA STREET VOL. 2 (XBOX), and MIDNIGHT CLUB II (XBOX). She called TRU, waited for a long time, and finally i was told that NBA STREET VOL. 2 was out at TRU. So, I tell her, can you ask about THE HULK? Unfortunately she had hunged up as I was saying that. She asked if I wanted her to call back. I said, yes....she sighed. Started dailing, and hung up. She says, ...."You want NBA, right?". I said yes. So she discounts them to the same deal as TRU has. So I walked out with those games for $25 each.

So....
Splinter Cell (XBOX)
Enter the Matrix (XBOX)
NBA Street Vol. 2 (XBOX)
Midnight Club II (XBOX)

for a total of $100. plus tax of course.

Not bad. Now...I'm bored.
Old 08-20-03, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I got her number too... it's 1-800-869-7787

We're gonna double date with the giraffe...
Old 08-20-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Originally posted by NoirTech
This is how my story has gone so far with this deal.

.... This time, the girl behind the counter, said she would be able to price match if TRU had it in stock. I love it when policies change from one rep to another. I picked NBA STREET VOL. 2 (XBOX), and MIDNIGHT CLUB II (XBOX). She called TRU, waited for a long time, and finally i was told that NBA STREET VOL. 2 was out at TRU. So, I tell her, can you ask about THE HULK? Unfortunately she had hunged up as I was saying that. She asked if I wanted her to call back. I said, yes....she sighed. Started dailing, and hung up. She says, ...."You want NBA, right?". I said yes. So she discounts them to the same deal as TRU has. So I walked out with those games for $25 each.
Whenever they start that "call the store to see if it's in stock" crap, I
If they come back with "That game isn't in stock" I'll reply, "Could you please check every store in the greater metropolitan area? I'll wait". That always works!
Old 08-20-03, 05:47 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Whenever they start that "call the store to see if it's in stock" crap, I
If they come back with "That game isn't in stock" I'll reply, "Could you please check every store in the greater metropolitan area? I'll wait". That always works!
I've been waiting to use that line for years. Haven't had to yet....but I'm always ready to pull the trigger on it.
Old 08-20-03, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Trevor
I've been waiting to use that line for years. Haven't had to yet....but I'm always ready to pull the trigger on it.
Me Too!
Old 08-20-03, 07:10 PM

Very good line!!! I think the stores that offer a price match, should at least be honored that you are choosing to purchase the product from there store, instead of the one with the advertised price. I usually buy my stuff from Best Buy just because I like the store, company etc....but if I get slack like this from them, I can easily change my allience.
Old 08-20-03, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

When I went, I had no problems. She said one person had already come in requesting the price match, and she knew exactly what to do. She didn't look at the ad, nor did she call Toys R Us. I was in and out in 5 minutes. I spent more time waiting in line then I did with her, lol.
Old 08-21-03, 01:47 AM
Banned

I don't understand why some store employees bother to call the store to see if it's in stock. If I were working there, I would skip that annoying process and give the deal to the customer. It's not I'll get in any trouble for it...
Old 08-21-03, 02:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by William Wallace
I don't understand why some store employees bother to call the store to see if it's in stock. If I were working there, I would skip that annoying process and give the deal to the customer. It's not I'll get in any trouble for it...
Many company insist upon calling for verification simply because (and probably rightly so) they shouldn't have to take a hit in the wallet for a competitor lowering a price if the person coming in couldn't get it from them in the first place.

Why should one store give me something for cheaper when the real store where I can get the deal at doesn't even have the product in stock?

I know I'll probably hear claims of good marketing and public relations from some, but a store can't stay in business if all they do all the time is loose money to their competitors.

(Yes, I will admit that I don't like it when the people call the stores and I do try to find the person who I don't think will call, so yes I'm guilty of sending the stores out of business as well.)
Old 08-21-03, 04:14 AM
Banned

I was referring to the actual employees who don't give you the price match because the other store doesn't have the item in stock. From the employees point of view, he/she loses nothing by just giving the price match to the customer. Its not the like the store manager will ever find out that the other store didn't have the item in stock.

One thing I find funny is that I can tell by just looking at the employee whether he will be willing to help me out in these situations...usually the "I'm just working part time while attending high school/college" types are much more laid back about it.
Old 08-21-03, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But if the manager does find out, he/she could loss his/her job, and why would anyone risk that for someone they don't know?

Especially at BB, an employee told me of someone who filled out a form and mispriced an item, by accident, and was fired without any warnings. He said BB manages everyone by fear. Not a good way to manage IMO.

Last edited by Gideon68; 08-21-03 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-21-03, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

He said BB manages everyone by fear. Not a good way to manage IMO.
Actually, it's a great way to manage if you are only looking at the short term prospect of your employees. Fear is very effective in the short term, but obviously not in the long term. Consider that most Best Buy employees don't intend to make a career out of working there, managing by fear is very logical.
Old 08-21-03, 02:19 PM
Banned

But if the manager does find out
that would NEVER happen. How would a manager ever know? Even if he/she double checks, there is no proof that the item was not in stock at the time you called. And even then, how does the manager know whether the employee of the other store was mistakened?
Old 08-22-03, 02:15 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by William Wallace
that would NEVER happen. How would a manager ever know? Even if he/she double checks, there is no proof that the item was not in stock at the time you called. And even then, how does the manager know whether the employee of the other store was mistakened?
If I were a member of Management and I had an employee who was constantly granting price matches for competitors that I knew did not receive large quantities of merchandise that last the entire week I would begin to become wary of their price matching and either not allow them to do it anymore with out Manager Approval first (all PMs at BestBuy are supposed to be approved by Management anyway), or take them off the Service Desk.

I know in my area Target consistently does not have many of the new releases in stock later in the week. If I had an employee granting PMs for Target later in the week and I personally knew that Target generally doesn't have them in stock, I would begin to be suspicious of that employees activity.

In the end Price Matching only hurts the places that we price match at as they are losing the money off the wholesale prices that they bought it from their distributors. Their profit is going down (albeit it being very small).
Old 08-22-03, 03:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think they should honor the price regardless of whether the item is in stock or not. Chances are, it'll be in stock somewhere, so yeah you can always have them call like 20 stores, lol.

But I usually end up spending alot of money in BB, and you'd think that they'd match the price with hopes of keeping you at the store to buy more things. Sure they might lose a little money on the price match, but in the long run, I am sure they come out ahead.

It's like when gas prices are really high, and every station in town is within pennies of each others price. I always wondered why one place didn't slash their prices by 25 cents or more, just to get more people to the station. You'd think if all those people are coming to their store, some of them are going to buy lotto tickets, cigarettes, beer, nachos, soda, etc.

If BB would do that and match prices all the time, I am sure they'd get alot more people in their store buying stuff they'd normally buy somewhere else.

Just my opinion
Old 08-22-03, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Follow up to my online order from Toyrus.com:

Received Splinter Cell and Matrix, both for the 'cube, yesterday. The only issue was that the case for Splinter Cell was cut to shreads, looks like someone cut right across the cover with a utility knife.

Last edited by flix1; 08-22-03 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-22-03, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Probably so you couldn't return it. Still, that is pretty extreme. Usually they'll just slash the barcode or something. That is what hapened when I got a free DVD a while back.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.