Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What 2 games are you buying from Toys 'R' Us?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

What 2 games are you buying from Toys 'R' Us?

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That did it. Thanks.
Old 08-17-03, 12:14 PM

Good luck finding any Gamecube games. I went to one store where they only had "Finding Nemo" available. They called two other stores for me and none of them had that many more titles. The "R-Zone" girl said she hadn't seen "Splinter Cell" since it first shipped, and doubted more would show up this week. They wouldn't give a raincheck because the ad says "While Supplies Last," even though it was obvious when I walked through the door at 10 AM that they hadn't had an actual "Supply" in the first place.

I feel bad for the sales people. They don't expect to get more shipments of the ad games, and as the PS2 and XBox supply dwindles they are going to take more and more heat for a corporate blunder they had no control over. The kid even told me to call 1-800-ToysRUs and complain. They suggested I order it online and told me shipping would be free, but that doesn't seem to be the case. In fact, when I tried checking out it didn't even deduct the 2nd game from the total and tried to charge me the full amount.

Thanks for those coupon codes Bahgee, but am I crazy or just stupid for not actually finding those anywhere on the Amazon TRU site itself? No one should have to look at non-affiliated message boards to know how to take advantage of an advertised sale, and I think that expecting people to call or show up every day for the rest of the week just to find out if something might have showed up on a truck is pretty bad customer service. I know it's only a few hours after this sale actually went into effect, but so far it looks like it's going to be a big headache.
Old 08-17-03, 12:45 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I went down there today right after the store opened. They didn't have the one title that I really wanted: Midnight Club 2. Not for ANY of the consoles. They didn't even have a slot for it. False advertising?
Old 08-17-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Geist
Good luck finding any Gamecube games. I went to one store where they only had "Finding Nemo" available.
Don't want to hijack this thread, but that was the case at two TRU I visited this morning. I wanted to get Enter the Matrix for the Cube and Midnight Club for my PS2. I've rented Matrix for my GC and figured I would give Nintendo some love. The only game on the list for the Cube was Nemo.

About six months ago, the TRU I frequent had quite a fine display of GC games in stock. Today, I didn't see ANY new games. Not even Madden 04. In fact, except for the presale of Soul Caliber, I didnt' see anything from the last six months. In addition, most of the GC games were marked down. I wonder if Toys R Us has given up on the Game Cube.
Old 08-17-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just got back from my local TRU and the had a table set up with all the Xbox games, sans Splinter Cell. I didn't check out the GC and PS2 selections though as I wanted to just grab Midnight Club II and NBA Street V2 for the Xbox.

Groucho YGM
Old 08-17-03, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Take the ad to Circuit City for a pricematch. Why bother walking into a Toys-R-Us?
Old 08-17-03, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts
will Best Buy match this offer? I am not sure how they are with price matching, as I have never tried.
Old 08-17-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Originally posted by nickdawgy
will Best Buy match this offer? I am not sure how they are with price matching, as I have never tried.
I would think they have to, per their policy. The TRU ad is pretty clear, and it doesn't have any "While Supplies Last" limitations. Go ahead and try it.
Old 08-18-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

In my experience, BB and CC will only price match advertised prices and not promo offers, that meaning each game is clearly marked with a price, but you never know.

I bought Splinter Cel and The Hulk for the X-Box. I got lucky and picked up the last Splinter Cel they had. I'm considering NBA Street 2 and Midnight Club 2 but I'm not sure if I really want a racing game right now.
Old 08-18-03, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gideon68
In my experience, BB and CC will only price match advertised prices and not promo offers, that meaning each game is clearly marked with a price, but you never know.
Yup, I've been gettin' this more and more too...it's hit or miss and YMMV as always.

Ahh, but PMin' is so fun...seeing the face of an employee when they have to do a big PM is priceless.
Old 08-18-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Since I knew I was not going to be able to get into a TRU store for a few days, I ordered online, as I mentioned above. I was ticked that I had to pay Shipping AND Tax, so my order ended up being $58 and change.

After reading all the experiences here, I don't feel so bad anymore.

Thanks all.
Old 08-18-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,207 Likes on 4,234 Posts
Was Splinter Cell $50? Because I've seen it as a "Price Cut" at Target for $29.99 and you really aren't saving much at all with this sale in that case
Old 08-18-03, 10:22 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thankfully for my budget, I don't want any of those games.
Old 08-18-03, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I got Splinter Cell and Hulk for the GameCube and Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness and Midnight Club II for the PS2 for $107.XX after tax. ~$27 a game, about the same as a GBA title after the BB $5 off coupon and tax. Not bad
Old 08-18-03, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Picked up Midnight Club II and Splinter Cell for my XBox. I wanted NBA Street Vol. 2, but it was the only title they were out of...
Old 08-18-03, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
I was going to pick up Splinter Cell and NBA Street Vol. 2 for XBOX and the only game they had in stock was Matrix. bah. The gal at the counter was cute and she told me to check back on Wednesday...I ended up getting her number so my trip wasn't a total loss.
Old 08-18-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Decker
Was Splinter Cell $50? Because I've seen it as a "Price Cut" at Target for $29.99 and you really aren't saving much at all with this sale in that case
TRU has Splinter Cel for $39.99 but I wasn't really interested in the other games.
Old 08-18-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
2 games for $50 equals $25 per game. That's $5 cheaper than the price right now at Target. Now if Splinter Cell was the ONLY game you wanted, then yes Target would be the way to go.

I took advantage of the Target deal a week ago. I've been known to pricematch for $1. If I didn't have the game it would have been worth it to save $5.
Old 08-18-03, 07:50 PM

I did the price match at Best Buy and got Splinter Cell and NBA Street Vol 2. Thanks for the heads up on this deal!!!
Old 08-19-03, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 404 Likes on 304 Posts
I also did the price match at BB, picked up NBA Street 2 and Enter the Matrix for the Cube. They wouldn't let me use the BB gamers $5 coupon, though. Said it wasn't able to combine with the offer. Oh well, still a great deal.
Old 08-19-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do they even make Splinter Cell for the GC anymore?

Both Toys R' Us in Manhattan NYC don't have it in stock and they said that the warehouse doesn't have any in stock either. Matter of fact, the Union Square location didn't even have any in stock on Sunday when the sale started. None of the Circuit City's have it either.

This is the only game that I really wanted (I have NBA Street 2 and Enter the Matrix already). I was gonna get Def Jam Vendetta as the other game cuz it might be fun to play with 3 other friends since it's a 4 player game.
Old 08-19-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Of these for the GC -

Enter the Matrix
Splinter Cell
Dff Jam Vendetta
Hulk
NBA Street V2
Finding Nemo

Which does anyone recommend? I think I want to get Matrix but are any of the others any good? If not, I can wait until Matrix gets a genuine price drop. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 08-19-03, 11:56 AM

I would say Splinter Cell is the best out of the bunch, with NBA Street coming in 2nd.
Old 08-19-03, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by rfduncan
Of these for the GC -

Enter the Matrix
Splinter Cell
Dff Jam Vendetta
Hulk
NBA Street V2
Finding Nemo

Which does anyone recommend? I think I want to get Matrix but are any of the others any good? If not, I can wait until Matrix gets a genuine price drop. Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Depends on what you like. I believe the two most highly rated games would be Splinter Cell and NBA Street. Hulk got decent reviews and so did Def Jam. Depending on whether or not you like playing out a lot of stealth mission(Splinter Cell), I personally would recommend NBA Street and Def Jam. Both can be played multi-player or single player. Hope that helps.
Old 08-19-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by Dabaomb
Do they even make Splinter Cell for the GC anymore?

Both Toys R' Us in Manhattan NYC don't have it in stock and they said that the warehouse doesn't have any in stock either. Matter of fact, the Union Square location didn't even have any in stock on Sunday when the sale started. None of the Circuit City's have it either.

This is the only game that I really wanted (I have NBA Street 2 and Enter the Matrix already). I was gonna get Def Jam Vendetta as the other game cuz it might be fun to play with 3 other friends since it's a 4 player game.
If your local B&M is out of a game, you can get the same deal from Amazon, since Amazon and TRU are affiliated with each other.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.