Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Which version of Soul Caliber 2 are you getting?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Which version of Soul Caliber are you picking up?
Gamecube
44.19%
Xbox
49.61%
PS2
6.20%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-03, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty torn about it, part of me wants it on the Xbox for Spawn then the other wants Link for the Cube.. Think im gonna rent both versions before deciding which one to buy.. but if i had to right now i'd take the Gamecube version..

So which one are you getting?
Old 08-04-03, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got it for the GC a few months ago (jpn version) along with the arcade stick.
Old 08-04-03, 09:11 PM
Retired

Gamecube. Link is the only extra character that interests me.
Old 08-04-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Probably Xbox and GC.
Old 08-04-03, 09:16 PM
Banned

XBox. Best graphics, second best controls, best secret character, IMO.
Old 08-04-03, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Xbox no question. Although it was very clever to include a different extra character specific to each console, when it comes down to it, serious players will forgo using Spawn, Link, or Heihachi. This is for the simple reason that when you go to play with other people, they may not have the system you played on. How useful is it going to be for you to know how to play Link when you play other people who don't own GCNs? The same can be said for Heihachi and Spawn.

Of course, truly serious players will own all 3. But barring that, Xbox is the version to own if you have a HDTV. Xbox is going to be in 720p HD. There is a HUGE difference between Xbox and GCN/PS2 versions in terms of graphics here - much, much more so than other multi-platform games.
Old 08-04-03, 09:54 PM
Retired

No HDTV, pretty much only play games out my place (usually have people over here in the rare occasions I play multiplaer) so neither are issues for me.

Thus it comes down to the extra character for me.
Old 08-04-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Cube, it's the only next gen system I got. I would get it anyways, the other special chars dont' interest me..

Hopefully I'll bring myself to buy one of those sweet looking joysticks too, but who knows.. I really need two if I get one
Old 08-04-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by evenflowddt
XBox. Best graphics, second best controls, best secret character, IMO.
ditto
Old 08-04-03, 10:47 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

I wanted it for the PS2 solely because i think its controller is probably the best. But after reading the reviews on EGM this month, it seems that PS2 version has the worst load time and the worst graphics among the three, i decided to go to the XBox version(fastest and better looking among the 3). And i think Spawn is cooler. Also, played on the Gamecube and the controls are just horrible. So XBox gets my vote.
Old 08-04-03, 11:15 PM
Suspended

Wow, 0 votes for the most common of the 3 consoles.

I own all 3 systems but will be going with the XBox version. Faster load times, better graphics, and 5.1 sound. I don't think I like the GC controller layout for SC2. I like Link the best out of the 3 bonus characters (Spawn is so last decade, and I don't even like Heihachi in the Tekken series), but will probably use the main characters 98% of the time.

I need to get the Xbox adapter for my X-Arcade stick.
Old 08-04-03, 11:28 PM
Retired

If the controller is the only issue, couldn't you get an adapter for your arcade stick for the GC? I'm assuming it's a PS2 stick, and I know there are adapters out their to use PS2 controlers on the GC.
Old 08-04-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=3

I didn't bump a dead and buried thread for nothing!
Old 08-05-03, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

GCN
Old 08-05-03, 01:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...5&pagenumber=3

I didn't bump a dead and buried thread for nothing!
I wanted to get the lurker's opinion's too thus my poll thread
Old 08-05-03, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
damn those evil lurkers! I'm getting GC version and picking up an Xbox version when I eventually get one of those bricks. but for the love of god, I'm stay far away from PS2's version.
Old 08-05-03, 06:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'll be getting it for XBox. I was intending on getting it for PS2(I love Heihachi, what can I say)but I have read many reviews stating that there is terrible slowdown and the load times are ridiculous. I just hope I can find time to play it cuz I'm having so much fun with Knights of the Old Republic!
Old 08-05-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't let controller preferences dictate which version of Soul Caliber 2 that you buy.

I think picking a version of Soul Calibur based on controller preferences is really stupid. There are adapters that let you use virtually any controller on any system. So you can use your PS2 gamepad on an XBox or GCN if you want to. Not only that, I question why people would use gamepads for a fighting game in the first place. It's impossible to be as good at a fighting game with a gamepad compared to using a joystick. And there are plenty of quality joysticks out there for all 3 systems.
Old 08-05-03, 09:17 AM

My HDTV will get tons of use that week-FZero & Soul Calibur. GCN all the way.
Old 08-05-03, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Joshic
stupid. There are adapters that let you use virtually any controller on any system. So you can use your PS2 gamepad on an XBox or GCN if you want to. Not only that,
Can you recommend a good adapter for Xbox that allows use of the PS2 controller? Most of the ones I read about sounded like they didn't work too well, or required you to unplug the controller everytime you powered up.
Old 08-05-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Can you recommend a good adapter for Xbox that allows use of the PS2 controller?
I have 2 X-Connection adapters. Each is a slightly different model but both perform flawlessly. The X-Connection allows use of PS2 controllers on Xbox. It is a discontinued product, but sometimes you can find them at EB and Gamestop B&M stores. I have a Shadowblade joystick which I really like to use for fighting games. It was only made for the PS2, so the adapter allows me to use it for DOA3 on Xbox (and Soul Calibur 2 in the near future).

You can also get the Magic Box, which allows you to use PS2/Dreamcast/Saturn controllers on Xbox. It also includes a memory card slot. It is bulkier than the X-Connection (which I don't like, but necessary for supporting Dreamcast & Saturn controllers), but it works just as well.

Hard-to-find peripherals and accessories such as controller adapters are best found at import and online game specialty stores. Here are the ones I frequent:
www.therage.com
www.ncsx.com
www.levelsix.com
www.lik-sang.com
www.play-asia.com
Old 08-05-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also note. I'm one not to enjoy the GC control set up, but after about 2 minutes I got so used to it and considering all the buttons were on the face of the controller, it felt pretty good. either way, GC and xbox versions will be the two top choice.
Old 08-05-03, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Xbox duh.
Old 08-05-03, 12:06 PM
Suspended

Well, I dont have an adapter for my X-Box -> HDTV yet but I *DO* have one for my GC (I've only got one high rez port in the back, so I need to get a switchbox or something). So the Box may look better than the cube, but the cube will look better on my system overall.

Beyond that - I'm really undecided. I'm going to wait until launch and check out some reviews first.
Old 08-05-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Gamecube of course. Link being in this game was some of the biggest videogaming news I've heard in a long time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.