Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime review and impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-02, 11:48 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I played this a bunch last night. I'm having a lot of problems seeing the difference between ledges and just outcroppings on walls. I don't know if its brightness or just the way the graphics are. I'm going to go on the assumption that unless it looks like a big ledge I can't jump up on it (well at least until I find otherwise). I also think the gun arm is WAY too big so the actual display view is pretty small. All the constant scanning is quite annoying also. I keep hitting the missle button instead of the ball button (but thats just my stupidity, I'll get it right eventually). Its alright I guess, but I'm having more fun just looking at the graphics and looking forward to cutscenes than I am actually playing the game. I'm up to the plant & mirrors boss, so maybe it picks up even more later.
Old 11-21-02, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Got pass the plant. Its was actually pretty easy this time around without me walking off in the poison water by accident.

I'm really getting the controls down now and I'm heading to the new elevator and I guess the next level.

BTW make sure you don't miss the energy tank in the part where you have to lower the water level.
Old 11-21-02, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This game rules!

I played if for about 2 hours last night. The games disorienting at first because of the great graphics and atmosphere (and darkness), but if you watch your radar and map, it gets easier. I like the scanning idea, I feel like a science officer or something. And with all the space junk and stuff laying around, I feel sometimes like I'm passing by some secret stuff, especially this one part (trying not to be spoilerish) where you are forced to run through all these rooms and corridors and you don't have time to scan everything.

BTW for the lazy person that asked: In order to STRAFE you have to hold down the L button while you move left/right with the grey joystick (or I should say, thumb stick).
Old 11-21-02, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i freakin was escapin the fridgate and got stuck for like 2 min and i was on my way out and i saw space and then i died

Old 11-21-02, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Super Metroid has been my favorite game for a long time, I think it may be being replaced . I never thought this game wouldn't be good but I was a little hesitant about the first person perspective - it's hard to describe but it still feels like a 2d game but from a 3d perspective.
Old 11-21-02, 08:22 PM
zig

The farther I get into this game, the more I love it. Some of the areas are really beautiful. So much detail in everything. And then there's the actual gameplay. It's soo Metroid, except better. I can't believe that this game was rumored to only be 7 hours long a few months ago. I've played over 7 hours and I'm only 14% complete.
Old 11-21-02, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was a Metroid hater. I didn't like any of the past games, but I gave this game a rent tonight. All I can say is "Damn." This game is amazing. This has got to be the best visuals I have ever seen (I'm running progressive). The game play is far beyond what I expected. How could anyone not like this game? I'm running out to buy it tomorrow.
Old 11-22-02, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have got to play this a little. And from my limited time, I can tell gamers out there, you have to own this game. It is that good.

That said, I won't be playing it anymore until around xmas... Have school and work to deal with before I can sit down and give this game my full attention. I feel that it deserves it.
Old 11-22-02, 11:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
OK, the world is starting to get really big, and harder to find things, but so far I'm not frustrated yet. Just slightly stuck. I'm at 24% complete about 5 hours in. I just acquired the double jump which makes the game about 20 times more fun to play. It opened up some new areas but I really need to know where to get either the grapple gun, ice beam, or plasma beam. There are areas I know right off the bat I could access with these weapons. Oh, and finding the spider ball would be nice. DAMN YOU METROID WHERE ARE THESE THINGS?!?!?
Old 11-22-02, 11:49 AM
Retired

I played for a while last night.

Beat the Plant boss, got the ball boost and several missle expansions (up to 50 missles).

The snow and lava areas are awesome.

The game just keeps blowing me away at every turn.
Old 11-22-02, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

spainlinx0: You can only get one upgrade at a time so stop worrying about it and just go to the areas you can access. The game will take care of the rest.
Old 11-22-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Played it for 3 more hours last night and I've mastered the controls finally and am used to the interface/visuals. This game rules so hard. It's a lot of fun once you get to the first planet area (and the lighting is more..... well, lighter), and I'm getting old school Metroid flashbacks from all the searching the nooks and crannies for hidden areas and items. I got a little frustrated because I couldn't seem to get anywhere because I needed either the Morph Ball or Missles. I finally found some Missles and then the Morph Ball and now it's really kicking into gear!!! Wish I had the Ice Beam.

Best Game Of The Year, easily.

Last edited by darqleo; 11-22-02 at 12:24 PM.
Old 11-22-02, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Kellehair
spainlinx0: You can only get one upgrade at a time so stop worrying about it and just go to the areas you can access. The game will take care of the rest.
The problem is I need at least one of those items to progress because I'm clueless as to where I should be going next. Everywhere I go seems to be blocked off by lack of one of those items. The last item I got was the double jump, but I don't know what or where the next item is.
Old 11-22-02, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by spainlinx0
The problem is I need at least one of those items to progress because I'm clueless as to where I should be going next. Everywhere I go seems to be blocked off by lack of one of those items. The last item I got was the double jump, but I don't know what or where the next item is.
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I can give you this advice:

Have you used your double jump to get a new powerup yet? Odds are that the next powerup that you need to get is hidden off somewhere that you can only reach by double jumping. I'd check for platforms that seem too far off for normal jumping. I seem to remember seeing something like that in the snowy world...
Old 11-22-02, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by joeblow69
I haven't gotten that far yet, but I can give you this advice:

Have you used your double jump to get a new powerup yet? Odds are that the next powerup that you need to get is hidden off somewhere that you can only reach by double jumping. I'd check for platforms that seem too far off for normal jumping. I seem to remember seeing something like that in the snowy world...
Yeah I did that. I know the plasma beam is next, but I can't seem to find where it is. I did do many double jump things, but this one seems to be eluding me. Oh well, I'm sure I will figure it out.
Old 11-22-02, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

spainlinx0: I'm a lot farther than you and I still haven't gotten the Plasma Beam yet. Don't worry about what you think you should get next. I think joeblow69 is right about what you should do now.
Old 11-22-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Holy Metroid Prime.

My friend bought this on Tuesday, and brought it over so we could check it out.

I beat the first "boss" and then died while escaping.

I decided that I needed this game to be alongside Mario and (soon to be) Link for my GC, so I picked her up today.

Holy hell.

I got the morph ball and the missiles, and i"m having a blast.

Whomever thought that this game would not succeed in a FPS(myself included) is really eating crow right now.
Old 11-22-02, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Figured it out guys. Actually I meant to say I knew the Wave Beam was next not plasma, and now I have it. Getting pretty damn interesting now where I'm at.
Old 11-22-02, 05:59 PM

i have to say i'm playing this more than splinter cell, this game is just awesome.
Old 11-22-02, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm falling behind. I've only just got the boost ball and I'm up to 4 extra energy tanks and 60 missles.

The energy tank you have to get by doing the three double bomb jumps was my biggest challenge yet. I don't know how many times I died in the Lava before I got the timing down.
Old 11-22-02, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I love about this game is that even in a first person mode it feels like metroid, especially the platform jumping...it just does not feel like a typical first person game, and it is just not a first person shooter...it is Metroid in the first person.

Awesome game, and I am only 23 percent done.
Old 11-22-02, 08:28 PM
zig

Another thing that definitely makes it NOT a FPS is that half the time I go everywhere in morph ball mode.. because it's quicker.. and well.. just more fun

The bosses in this game are great.. difficult.. scary.. tricky to beat. Have to figure out their weakness(though the scanning helps).
Old 11-22-02, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm loving this game as well (even though i'm only like 12% complete) and spent a good 1.5 hours tonight just re-going through the areas i've been already trying to puzzle out where to go next.

One question i'm having is when you scan something and it says the granite or sandstone or what have you is cracked is there a particular weapon you have to shoot it with to break it?

Also one other thing and this is a small puzzle near where you recover your charge shot.
Spoiler:
There is the passageway along the wall that you need to run through as a ball. The problem is it is plugged up with some kind of stone that it says needs cleared away. I've tried using the basic gun, a charged shot, and a missile and nothing gives. Is this something i need to come back to or am i missing something?

One thing that is frustrating me now though is i went through a side-scrolling section in a ball and it dropped me out the other side. I can't figure out where to go on the other side and without being able to drop bombs while in a ball i can't pop myself back up into the passageway to go back the way i came. Heh, i wonder how many bounty hunters have that problem
Old 11-22-02, 11:50 PM
Retired

For the sandstone, and the stuff in your spoilers, you need the bombs that you use in morph ball mode.

Darkside,

Is that energy tank in the place where there's the metal things that blow up after two bombs? I figured there was something up there, and I bet that's it as I only have 3 energy tanks, but I got frustrated and quit trying last night.
Old 11-23-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Josh: I think that's what he was talking about. I just got that one today. I have to say it wasn't nearly as hard as I thought it would be. Thankfully I already had 6 Energy Tanks, all full, when I tried this though as I did take a few trips into the lava before getting the timing down.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.