Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime review and impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-02, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
joeblow69: yeah I did that part, but I didn't notice anything happen. I just assumed that I needed the other 2 weapons and then maybe that force field would disappear.
Old 11-29-02, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got fooled by this same part. You should take a good look at what's behind that purple cap after you shoot it.
Old 11-29-02, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ah! I figured it out. And got the frickin' Ice beam too! AW HELL YEAH!

Thanks guys
Old 11-30-02, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, beat it yesterday. Enjoyed it quite a bit. I'm rather proud that it's the first game in a long time that wasn't so freaking complex that I never had to look at any hints or faqs or anything. It all was pretty easy to figure out, yet still challenging and a whole lot of fun.
Old 11-30-02, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what percentage did you end up with?
Old 12-01-02, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

69% I know I missed a few scans here and there, I'm sure I missed a few missle expansions (I know for a fact 1 that I saw but couldn't figure out how to get, though now I have a pretty good idea heh), and I think at least 1 health tank since my squares seemed 1 short of the length of the health bar (so I assume there was another out there).
Old 12-02-02, 09:53 PM

Ok, I have a few questions/comments about Metroid Prime.

First let me just say I own all 3 systems and in no way am I trying to bash this game.

* Does this game get better? I have only played pasted the P. Queen and after I kill her the timer starts to tick down. That is as far as I have gotten.

*I think it looks really cool, but what I have played is kinda boring to me.

Does it get better or is this game just not for me?

Thanks,
Josh
Old 12-02-02, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by JoshUnt
Ok, I have a few questions/comments about Metroid Prime.

First let me just say I own all 3 systems and in no way am I trying to bash this game.

* Does this game get better? I have only played pasted the P. Queen and after I kill her the timer starts to tick down. That is as far as I have gotten.

*I think it looks really cool, but what I have played is kinda boring to me.

Does it get better or is this game just not for me?

Thanks,
Josh

What you've just finished is the "tutorial" intro part. You've barely scratched the surface.
Old 12-02-02, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Yeah - it gets better... but if that's boring to you, then the rest of it might be boring too, just slightly less. The enemies get tougher and you get more powerups and such. After the part you're at it might get really boring for you for awhile because they strip you of all your weapons and start you off with nothing. No morph ball, no jump pack, no multiple visors...
Old 12-03-02, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What a fun game.

<small>BIG Metroid fan here.</small>

I avoided reading this whole until I completed the game. I wasn't completely blown away by the graphics, but they served their job well. For the first 2 hours or so I had a tough time getting used to the controls, but after a while the controls felt natural. It's strange, on the PC I prefer the mouse and keyboard approach to controlling FPS' but felt comfortable with Metroid Prime's control on the console.

Due to the POV I had a hard time accepting it as a Metroid game, but after that "teething" period everything started to flow a lot more nicely. The battles and exploration felt just like the classic Metroids.

I ended up finishing the game at 73% I think for a total of 14 hours and 50 minutes. I did break down to use a guide to find a few of the artifacts, but the game provides enough clues that I shouldn't have had to (I was under time pressures). Oddly enough I didn't get 50% scans until the last stage of the game.

Anyone know what else can be unlocked? After beating the game I unlocked...

Spoiler:
hard mode

I look forward to playing through the game again.
Old 12-03-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the game about a week ago and so far I'm about 35% through with the game, 9 hours or so in, 50% scanned and I just finished getting the Gravity Suit. I personally love the game and am completely amazed by it constantly. The GCN and Metroid Prime are the first game and system that I've owned since I got my N64 and PSX and I've been pleasantly surprised by it. I can't wait to get further into the game!
Old 12-06-02, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wow, this game is awesome! I love this FPS! The worlds are huge! Well I'm off to explore this new world.

Also PRIME is it after the SNES title?
Old 12-06-02, 07:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by White Knight
Wow, this game is awesome! I love this FPS! The worlds are huge! Well I'm off to explore this new world.

Also PRIME is it after the SNES title?
Its right after the original Metroid in the timeline. Fusion is after the SNES one.
Old 12-06-02, 08:38 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thanks
Old 12-06-02, 10:28 AM
zig

All 4 Image Galleries can be unlocked if you get 100% completion on hard mode. There's a site somewhere around that has all the pics from the image galleries.. some really nice ones in there.
Old 12-06-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts
Help!

Where is the Grapple Beam located?
I want my Grapple Beam back!!!
Old 12-06-02, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You can only get one upgrade at a time so don't worry about you'll get any particular ability back.
Old 12-06-02, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by zig
All 4 Image Galleries can be unlocked if you get 100% completion on hard mode. There's a site somewhere around that has all the pics from the image galleries.. some really nice ones in there.
There are difficulty levels? Do they unlock after you beat the game or something?
Old 12-06-02, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep.
Old 12-07-02, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

These Amazon.com reviews are too funny...

Terrible control
December 3, 2002
Reviewer: gorillazruss from USA
I hate this game because the controls annoy me more than anything. You people only care about graphics and sound and stuff, but who cares if you cant control it. I go to shoot, and I got to free-look mode instead. I cant use an elevator without scanning a stupid panel. I have to hit R, then L, then A to hit anything. Maybe the reason I hate this this is because I am used to GOOD FPS's like Timesplitters 2 and Halo and Agent under Fire where you can CUSTOMIZE the controls instead of being aggrivated for hours. I hate this game more than any other because of the controls alone. Rent It before you buy it, like I did.

If Nintendo got a dime for graphics...
November 29, 2002
Reviewer: osirusthegreat from A city away.
If Nintendo had a dime for every graphic horizon, they'd be rich. For starters, always was a fan of First person shooters, but then this game came out. In its seemingly unbeatable box, with even it's graphics to boast on the thing, it came in at 50 bucks. Now, after playing for a few hours, I was content with graphics, but then, the game fell. In my mind it just fell. It hit me like a brick. Where's the story line? What is with Samus. Why doesn't she have her suit, and most importantly, what the heck is up with these dark levels! For one, it sets a mood, but the glares are unbelivable in some levels if you play during the day. Now that can be fixed but, it's feel is lost after you play and shoot things for hours. Oh and yeah by the way, don't forget about those loads OF FUN rune puzzles, which are, by the way, in every single game.

It's over-rated, in my opinion.
November 26, 2002
Reviewer: thirty-three
I guess I'd prefer to give it a 2.7 or so, of the maybe, 7+ hours I've played. I dislike not being able to look up or down easily. I really dislike having the visor restrict my view, the down part is, you probably won't notice anything until it comes inbetween the screen's annoying border, coupled with the graphics which have so many colors and lights for every little thing, it looks more tacky than beautiful to me. You get used to it within ten minutes but it's still annoying to have, esp. when you don't need to pay attention to most info on the border. It does want to be a lot like Halo, which I also found overrated, but with some genuinely brilliant aspects. There isn't much of a story, some aliens have a religion of simple living and have banished these tech pieces all over the area, so collect and kill. The designs are Metroid fused with typical techno-[stuff]. I felt that the worlds were too big for their own good, that backtracking could get you in over your head, getting lost, not knowing what to look for next. The fact is, this is still a very linear game, you can just ignore the one current objective and get lost. I'd have loved a warp hologram, I hated being stuck on one part of the world, needing my arm-cannon, then having to backtrack to one elevator...to the next elevator, etc. etc. to find the arm-cannon, and walk back. I wouldn't be sad at all to have it be more linear, and to move to the next level a little earlier, so you aren't revisiting areas with no use. Using Samus' unique abilities is good fun, scanning and other little puzzles are somewhat tedious, enjoyment largely seems to be graphics, esp. if you played the old games, you'll love the 3D versions. I don't like having to scan everything, though this game brings Metroid into 3D almost as well as Zelda 64 did, they're too similarly made. MP is clearly the one lacking in gameplay, not that it's bad, I just don't find it fun, everything is pretty much as you'd assume, and the most fun is getting to the next area to see the new landscapes. The music would be good, in theory, industrial for the action/synth for the fantasy/sci-fi aspect, but it gets on your nerves soon and while I'm typically not bothered by game music, I had to turn MP's music off. All in all, I'm glad I rented instead of relying on other's reviews and advice to make the purchase.

I think Dr. Evil said it best... "Scott, you just don't GET it, do you?"
Old 12-07-02, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Yeah the day I trust an Amazon review lol.