Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metroid Prime review and impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-02, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know what I'm talking about. Ignore me.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 11-20-02 at 10:32 AM.
Old 11-20-02, 08:56 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Kainan
Ok, I have a question since I'm not one for reading manuals unless I really have to. How do you straff in Metroid?
Hold the top left shoulder button. And it's strafe. And the game tells you how to do it within minutes of starting
Old 11-20-02, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

I'm loving it so far. It definitely feels like a metroid game. They could not have done a better job of taking the game to 3D and retaining the feel of the series. It definitely doesn't feel like an FPS. Mainly due to the lock on auto aim, and the emphasis is definitely on exploration.
I never have been into Metroid, but I played the demo again over at Best Buy, and I did find it quite fun. A friend of mine picked it up yesterday, so I'm sure we'll all get together to play it this weekend. I totally agree about the FPS comment - it didn't feel like one at all.
First Person View != First Person Shooter
Old 11-20-02, 09:57 AM

Hold the top left shoulder button. And it's strafe. And the game tells you how to do it within minutes of starting
Hmm.. odd since I could have sworn that I tried that. Maybe it is because I switched the controls around from default a little. I'll check it when I get home this evening. This pretty much clears up my main complaint about Metroid! This game is too cool. Games like these show how much more powerful the GC is than the PS2. The texture detail is better than the PS2 could handle I'm sure, not to mention the brilliant lighting effects.
Old 11-20-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just tore off the shrinkwrap and found a nasty surprise. I purchased this at Target and the cover art is branded with the Target logo and stupid decal that says "$50 in coupons, only at Target." I got the $5 off plus an addition 10% but this annoys me. A simple sticker on the shrinkwrap would have done the job. Don't defile my Metroid cover.
Old 11-20-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ouch. Are all Target games like that?
Old 11-20-02, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't know... probably. The coupons are actually something I'd consider using but they're not much. Example: $5 off Zelda, which expires on 3/31/03. So if any delays arise, that won't even work.
Old 11-20-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Well I'm about an hour and half or so into it, and am really enjoying myself. The auto-targeting feature works great and allows the focus to be on exploration which so far I find really interesting. I like killing the guys then scanning the room for info. So far I have the morph ball, rockets, and I found 2 energy tanks. I could have done so much more, but I have yet to find the morph bombs, so I can't wait to see where they hid those.
Old 11-20-02, 01:59 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I played a couple more hours last night (paying for it now as I had to work this morning and I'll probably sleep through class tonight).

I got my Charge Beam and Bombs back, and got a couple energy tanks and missle expansions.

I got to a boss, got my ass kicked, and quit for the night.

I won't get a chance to play again until Thursday evening, so I'll post some more impressions sometime over the weekend.

Oh, BTW, you can go to the options screen and turn the visor opacity all the way down and make the on-screen visor display go away.

I personally like it, but someone had complained a while back that they thought it might be distracting, so I wanted to point out that it's not an issue. You can turn it on, off, or anywhere between.
Old 11-20-02, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Cornfed
I don't know... probably. The coupons are actually something I'd consider using but they're not much. Example: $5 off Zelda, which expires on 3/31/03. So if any delays arise, that won't even work.
I sure hope it doesn't take Nintendo over 4 months to translate the game. I don't think it will see a delay in otherwords.
Old 11-20-02, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
BEST.

GAME.

EVER.
Old 11-20-02, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Okay. Just finished the Chozo Ruins and the game is incredible.

This is why I play video games.
Old 11-20-02, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a feeling that all my spare time in the next month will be used to play this game. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I am.

Kudos to the developers...wonderful, wonderful game.
Old 11-20-02, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
I played a couple more hours last night (paying for it now as I had to work this morning and I'll probably sleep through class tonight).

I got my Charge Beam and Bombs back, and got a couple energy tanks and missle expansions.

I got to a boss, got my ass kicked, and quit for the night.

I think I'm about as far along as you. Gotten quite a few butt kickings so far, but I'm really enjoying this game.

I love some of the little touches like the heat waves rising off of the gun after shooting it a lot. The way things splatter or fog up the visor. The effect of the charge beam looks very cool as well.

Oh well back to it.
Old 11-20-02, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah. One of the sweetest things I've seen is how the light bends around a charge beam shot. The visor is every bit as amazing as advertised too.
Old 11-20-02, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Yeah I also got my ass handed to me by the first boss because I was pretty much did when I realized I was wasting shots hitting him instead of the targets I was supposed to. My eyes were hurting so I will simply kick his sorry ass tomorrow. That should complete my time in the Chozo Ruins.
So far I have the Charge Beam, Morph ball and bombs, and missiles. Dying for the spider ball. I loved that thing from Metroid 2, although it looks like it is very different here.
Old 11-21-02, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Picked it up tonight, played it for a little over an hour. I llike it, I know I'll love it, but right now I'm thinking it is too dark. I can barely see any detail- I didn't even really notice any of the space pirates in the orbiting ship except that I was able to lock on to something. I will fool with the opacity of the visor tomorrow first thing.
Old 11-21-02, 12:58 AM

See if your TV has pre-formatted brightness settings. Our Wega has settings such as "vivid" and "sports" - we use vivid for regular TV, and (believe it or not) sports for playing video games. It makes a huge difference in my ability to see detail in Metroid.
Old 11-21-02, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Anyone beat that big plant yet? I'm pretty sure I have the strategy to beat it, but I keep screwing up and dying.

Spoiler:
Looks like you have to lock on and keep shooting it to stun it. When you get to a mirror lock on to it and shoot it till it flips then lock back on to the plant monster and stun it again if you have to move on to more mirrors (You first do just one mirror, then two, then three, and then all four). Tap B while locked on to the monster to move quickly to the next mirror and keep shooting him or he will flip the mirrors you have already shot back down again. Once you've flipped either one, two, three, or all four mirrors up (depending on the round) you then morphball through the little tunnel that opens and bomb him. Very tough battle and I've gotten to the part with all four mirrors, but I keep dying.
Old 11-21-02, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by MrKen
Picked it up tonight, played it for a little over an hour. I llike it, I know I'll love it, but right now I'm thinking it is too dark. I can barely see any detail- I didn't even really notice any of the space pirates in the orbiting ship except that I was able to lock on to something. I will fool with the opacity of the visor tomorrow first thing.

My major complaint so far as well. I'm enjoying playing it, but I seem to be the only person disappointed with it. I'm just really not into this as an FPS. It just doesn't feel like Metroid to me.
Old 11-21-02, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For the plant I:

Spoiler:
Did pretty much what you did darkside, but I didn't go out of my way to stun the plant. I just strafed from mirror to mirror as fast as possible.
Old 11-21-02, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

darkside: That's pretty much what I did except I didn't think to
Spoiler:
"Tap B while locked on to the monster to move quickly to the next mirror."

One tip is that
Spoiler:
you never have to take your target off the plant. You can easily position yourself so you can hit the mirrors while still locked onto the plant.
Old 11-21-02, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

...I'm sooo loving this game. A friend of mine was over last night to check it out. The first time I morphed into the ball and started rolling around we both just turned to each other and said "This is by far the coolest video game I have ever seen."

It's very much a Metroid game. You can just picture the 2D version in your head.... definitely not a FPS.

Vice City and NBA2K3 just got shelved for a little while. Animal Crossing lives on though.
Old 11-21-02, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by MrKen
Also in the options menu you can up the brightness on the game itself.
Old 11-21-02, 09:50 AM
Retired

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
See if your TV has pre-formatted brightness settings. Our Wega has settings such as "vivid" and "sports" - we use vivid for regular TV, and (believe it or not) sports for playing video games. It makes a huge difference in my ability to see detail in Metroid.
Did you adjust the vivid and sports settings? The brightness and contrast is way to high on both of them to use them for anything IMO.

I have standard adjusted to my tastes for games and TV, and the Movie setting calibrated with Avia for Movies.

Also, as mentioed above, the best bet is to adjust the brightness in the options menu, that way you adjust the picture just for this game, without uncalibrating your TV for other games, shows, etc. (especially if you don't have a TV with multiple picture settings.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.