Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Morrowind Question

Old 07-16-02, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morrowind Question

I started playing this game again,a nd I"m actually sort of getting into it.

I finally figured out instead of wandering around outside of the first town, that I take the Strider to Balmora. (d'oh).

Anyway

Which guild do you join first? I tried the thieves guild,a nd when I tried stealing the diamond, I got busted everytime.

So, whats the deal with the guilds.
Old 07-16-02, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You can join any or all of the guilds IIRC. I've only joined the Fighters guild so I couldn't tell you for sure. Balmora is the best place to join though -- intro guilds. Guildmasters in other guildhalls throughout the island normally won't give you orders till you reach a certain rank and you can only get the early quests in Balmora. Once you Advance a few times, you can talk to the masters in Vivec and Ald'ruhn as well. There are a few other halls, but i haven't hit them yet.

If you don't feel comfortable in the Thieves guild, just forget the quest (it won't come back and bite you in the ass), and try another guild. What kind of character are you anyways?

Tuan Jim
Old 07-16-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Spoiler:
Look other places in her house for the diamond.
Some of the thieve's guild quests can be tougher at lower levels, but you can always go to operatives in other cities and get more jobs from them if you get stuck somewhere. I was stuck on the diamond as well. In fact at level 29 or so it can still be tough to steal the diamond that I think you're going after.

You can also join a house and you'll want to join The Blades since it progresses the main plot and then you can also join a faction like the temple or guard. I don't believe you can join two guilds at once though, once you join one you'd need to leave it to join another. You'll find yourself a member of other things as you progress the main story as well.

Don't get disparaged with the thieves guild, just find some other stuff to do until you have the skills you need to finish the job... or get creative and find another way to do it. It can be any diamond after all, doesn't have to be her's.

~Scheherazade
Old 07-16-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It depends on what your character traits are.

I built mine to be a warrior, but still be intelligent.

I joined all of the main guilds: Fighters, Mages, and Thieves.

I'm done with the Fighters Guild and am now doing the Mages Guild. I don't think I'll bother with the Thieves Guild, but who knows.

After that their are the Houses, but I'd stick with Fighters or Mages in the beginning. There's less fighting in the Mages quests, but it really depends on what your character's primary stats are.
Old 07-16-02, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm a Dark Elf and plan to join the Fighter's, Thieves, and Mage's Guilds... I figure I can't be hurt my Fighters, Thieves, or Mages...

I'd like to become an Imperial Assassin, which is a separate side quest I have...
Old 07-16-02, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've joined 3 guilds, 2 factions, and 1 house. The advantage is getting better prices throughout the land, and I can sleep almost anywhere. I haven't done any quests for anyone except House Hlaalu. If you get too high in some of the guilds there will be conflicts of interest if you belong to others. In the Hlaalu quests I haven't had to kill anyone, but I have high speechcraft. This game is awsome. I haven't started the main quest yet and I'm having so much fun.
Spoiler:
I have my fortress and am now working on phase 2.
Old 07-16-02, 12:30 PM

You can be in any and all the guilds at once.

Right now I'm in:
Fighters Guild
Mages Guild
Great House Huaall
Imperial Cult
and the Blades.

I GREATLy recommend joining both the Mages and the Fighters guilds right off at the start of the game.

The Balmora Fighters guild is a great place to build up your char, since the early quests are so simple and "safe".
The mages guild is almost a MUST if you want to use any sort of spells or magical anything in the game. Plus the later mages guild quests make for some great looting.

ALSO... you get discounts and better deals when buying items from inside your guild. Plus who can forget those nifty "supply chests" *grabs 10 restore magicka potions and 2 srolls of open door*

House Huaall is a good place to start off at too, mainly because they pay you about 1,000 for the first 3 quests they send you on (1,000 each quest) and the quests are simple. No fighting, so its good for a starting player.

Your journal gets cluttered and some quests get pushed back to the back burner for other quests, but I HIGHLY reccomend joining as much as possible. Get some exposure.
Can't hurt ya, I don't think.

Ohyea, sometimes they will give you conflicting quests. Like "go kill this theaves guild member" so if your a memeber of the Thieves guild at that time, then you have to ether pay the consequences, or find an alternate method of solveing the quest.
(like lie about killing them) There is generaly always a way.
Old 07-16-02, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm in:
Ashlanders
Blades
House Redoran -- the honorable house
Fighters Guild
Imperial Legion

Very special friend of Ahnassi -- not quite the same thing, but it's still it's own ladder of quests.

Reputation 9.

Tuan Jim
Old 07-16-02, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, this game is a lot better than I thought it was, just have to get into it.
I joined the fighters guild, and I'm on my first mission, to kill some rat things.
They keep kiling me!
I can't seem to hit them, any advice?Or is it just hit or miss?
Old 07-17-02, 12:08 AM

Thunderdude,

Make sure your useing weapons that complement your character.

For Instance:
If "Blunt Weapon" is one of your Primary skills and "Long blade" is one of your Miscelanious skills, then if you use a Long Blade (long Sword, claymore) then you will most likely miss every swing.
Or vice versa.

Check your Primary Skill list.
See what type of weapon your better skilled with (highest number out beside it on the skill list) then use that one.

You may also be setup to use magic instead of weapons, this isn't my forte but I reccomend visiting the Mage Guild Camp first if so.

Also things to remember:

Your Fatige afects your acurace. Lower Fatigue = less chance to hit and less dammage done. Walk to the house, walk to the rats, then bustem up.

Holding the attack button down untill the weapon is all the way back makes for a harder hit. I normaly wait about a second before swinging, helps make sure all my hits count.

If you have room, try running up, attacking then running back. (kind of like a "thrust" tenique) charge your swing before you run up, let it hit, and run back to avoid the rats attacks. Might help.

Main thing I think your problem could be is your not using a weapon that your char is trained to use.
Spend some time doing non-combative quests (mages guild, or one of the great houses) to earn enough money to buy a prefferable weapon.

P.S....
I got a new SWEET sword.
Daedric Claymore, 30-64 per hit.
Then I enchanted it with "Absorb Health" 35-66 points.
And "soul Trap" for 20 seconds.
I'm doing between 65 and 130 points a hit, plus I get about half of that as health, Plus I steal the soul of whatever I kill.
Just hard to keep enough empty soul gems around.
Old 07-17-02, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

very well could be the problem, I didn't even check to see about "primary weapons" or what not. :-/

This game is incredibly deep and I keep missing little things like that.
Old 07-17-02, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Then again, maybe not. It says my primary weapon is an axe, so I bought an axe, and couldn't even hit the rat again. This is pissing me off.
Old 07-17-02, 12:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm also having an absolute blast with this game - playing my own created class that is basically a thief with a touch of majika to aid somewhat. Way fun to play although i'm having a horrible time with this one thieves guild quest because i have to walk a good ways to this little town that i found once and now for some reason can't find it again.... *sigh* i wish i could find the artifacts i need to recover for sale somewhere in Balomar.... either way i'm having an absolute blast robbing houses and selling their stuff.

One question though - how is reputation increased and decreased?
Old 07-17-02, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, finally killed those damn rats. Used my magic skills on the bastards summon a scribe and he took all my damage while I wailed on them.

I'm kind of wondering what to do next, as the quests seem to involve me going out in the woods, and last time I went out there, I got slaughtered.

Any way to skip quests?
Old 07-17-02, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by xmiyux
I'm also having an absolute blast with this game - playing my own created class that is basically a thief with a touch of majika to aid somewhat.
That's what I picked -- thief but with a touch of speechcraft and short blade.

If I can't get it from you through persuasion and I can't steal it behind your back I'll cut you.

Oh, and here's a tip -- get sent to jail at least once. My security skill increased by one point!!!
Old 07-17-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by Thunderball
I'm kind of wondering what to do next, as the quests seem to involve me going out in the woods, and last time I went out there, I got slaughtered.

Any way to skip quests?
I would try joining the Mages Guild. Those first couple of Mage quests are really easy (like go talk to someone, or find some scrolls hidden inside the Mages Guild, or collect some flowers along a path)
Old 07-17-02, 12:09 PM

Originally posted by Thunderball
Ok, finally killed those damn rats. Used my magic skills on the bastards summon a scribe and he took all my damage while I wailed on them.

Any way to skip quests?

Work on another guild's quests untill you level up enough to be good at fighting.
If you want to level up quickly then try to buy/sell your way into a fortune. If you can sell for more than you can buy then you can make alot of free money that is GREAT for paying for "Training".

Whats your stats Thunderdude?
I'll see if there is any kind of better attack plan for ya.
(for example, you must know some magic, magic is good stuff in this game if your good at it. I'm not good at it, so I only learn spells so I can enchant items)

Don't get discouraged.
This game is alot of trial and error at the beguining.
Once you get the hang of it, you'll be very very adicted.

Another interesting thing is how very difrently each player type actualy plays.
I have three chars going now, each of them are fighters, but each of them work TOTALY difrent.
"BrinStar" my main guy has a badarse sword and falls back on Archery if in a bind.
"Norfair" my old PC char is longswords with magic. He hits them with magic, lowers thier armor and stats, then kills them.
and "Babe" the one I made for my GF is short blades and is fast enough to run circles around them.

When I change chars its a whole new style of game almost.
So if your having terrible dificulty with the Char you have now, perhaps it wouldn't be all bad to make a new Char?

Here are the abilities I personaly think are "A Must" but I'm sure everyone has thier favorits.

Combat Style Player with Personality and Magic:
Primary:
Heavy Armor
Long Blade
Destruction Magic
Restore Magic
Merchantism
Speachcraft

Secondary:
Block
Marksman
alchemy
Mysticism
Security (lockpicking)

If your a Red Guard or an Imperial with those skills you'll start off with pretty good Long Blade skill and decent other skills.
With that char I'd reccomend getting a full set of armor, shield, and a one handed long sword before going into any dungeon or combat.

OH, one more thing Thunderdude...
You might be dieing because you dont have on armor.
Just like weapons, armor needs to be used that complements the player.
A "Full" set of armor is:
Cuirass (body)
Helm (head)
Right/Left Palduran (shoulders)
Right/Left Guantlets (hands)
Greeves (upper legs)
Boots (feet, lover legs)
Shield (even if you dont use it in a fight it still helps your armor rating)

The way the game figgers up your Armor Rating is by averaging evey body part together. IE, if you have nothing on your head, you have a 0 on your head, unless you have a good "unarmored" skill then your rating for that replaces the 0.
The moral of the story is, its better to have a full set of cheaper armor, than to be missing afew pieces of nicer armor and go naked there.

Last edited by BrinStar; 07-17-02 at 12:27 PM.
Old 07-17-02, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Also, make sure all your armor is of the same class -- the weaker you are (or the less strenght-oriented you are), the lighter it should be. I'm a thief and I don't need to clunk around in a steel outfit, but Chithlin (IIR the spelling correctly) is light and has a nice armor class rating.
Old 07-17-02, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by The Bus
Also, make sure all your armor is of the same class -- the weaker you are (or the less strenght-oriented you are), the lighter it should be. I'm a thief and I don't need to clunk around in a steel outfit, but Chithlin (IIR the spelling correctly) is light and has a nice armor class rating.
Is it just because I'm a heavy/medium armor guy that the light armor looks so crappy? I'm a major heavy guy and a minor medium guy, and that stuff looks normal, but looking at a chitlin armor (light), it looks like it only gives 2 protection -- is that just because I'm not skilled in it or what? people say that glass is a good and expensive armor but it's Armor class is so low that I don't see the point.

Tuan Jim
Old 07-17-02, 06:49 PM
Shawn

What's the fastest/easiest/cheapest way to get from Balmora to Suran? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
Old 07-17-02, 07:01 PM

Can you transport in the Mage's Guild? That's usually how I travel.

I don't remember if Suran has a Mages Guild.
Old 07-17-02, 07:50 PM
Shawn

I don't think Suran has a Mages Guild because I went to the one in Balmora and they didn't offer to take me there. Anyone has have any ideas? I'm on the quest for the Fighter's Guild to get someone debt money or something like that.
Old 07-17-02, 08:04 PM

Yeah the glass armour sucks because your light armour skill is prolly pretty low. I was puzzled why everyone was singing praises to glass armour when I found my first suit. I too was a heavy / medium armour redguard so my light armour rating was around level 11 or something. The glass cuirass had a defense rating of like 30 or something. But I found a trainer and jacked my light armour rating up to around 50 or so. This boost my glass cuirass armour rating to around 120 or so. Now I can jump and my character moves faster. Hope that helps.
Old 07-18-02, 12:05 AM

Fastest way to Suran from Balmora is by Silt Strider.

Take the Balmora Silt Strider to Ald'ruhn, then turn around and take the Ald'Ruhn silt strider to Suran.

Fastest route I think.

I got a problem....

I think I maxed out my Strength stat. Problem is, I'm no where near ready for it to be maxed out.
I'm running around with minimal stuff in my pack, but UBER heavy gear.
I'm about a level 38.
My Strength is 100 and when I level up it wont let me add any more points to it. Tell me please that 500 isn't the most I can carry My armor alone is about 350. My sword is 85.

Heh, I'm built like a Sherman Tank tho

I got a full set of Ebony Armor. (rated about 175 armor class per piece) And still using the Daedric Claymore.
Old 07-18-02, 12:15 AM
Shawn

Fastest way to Suran from Balmora is by Silt Strider.

Thank you so much!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.