Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

America's Army: Recon has been released and it's spectacular!

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

America's Army: Recon has been released and it's spectacular!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a work around to use the all seeing eye. Dont remember it myself but I know I saw it at the ARS Forums...
http://arstechnica.infopop.net/OpenT...562&f=39309975
Old 07-21-02, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reviving the thread to give a few points of my opinion :

1-I'm just wondering, we were on the bridge map and some dude in our team was shooting inside a door in our own base, as in at a 90 degree angle from where the other team was assaulting from. We thought he was lagging, but he got a kill shooting in a building nowhere near the assault team so I was wondering if they could cheat somehow??

2-All in all, I like it, but there is a shortage of maps, weapons and if you ask me, the Homelan servers should really stream more than 1 map.

3-I also find it relatively bug free game wise, but there are some major bugs.. quite often your team is alive and winning but the round ends with the 'your team is eliminated message' when you have 5-6 guys still alive... plus I always only see 5 names in the opposing team and never more.

4-My biggest beef about it though is people who use the M203 (grenade launcher) and just keep shooting at random... it might give you more kills, but it's way unrealistic. Some people like it, but I don't do it... the one time I tried, I finished with 18 kills (not goals, just kills) and 2 KIA's, but I was shooting over hills where I knew people would be coming since they have no other choice. I much prefer to take a weapon and stay out back defending (I play defense 90% of the time). I kind of wish they would add civilians in place so people would stop blasting anywhere.

5- Gamespy Arcade sucks
Old 07-21-02, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ive noticed the end of game announcement often says you lost when you won. But the scoring is accurate. If you hit F1 after youll see you get credit for the win.

I havent even played all the maps yet. Havent even seen Pipeline or Tunnel. I like HQ and I love Bridge. Insurrgent is impossible to play without working completely as a team. Its just dumb luck if you win or lose, too many routes to the objective, all it takes is one moron to screw everybody. And MOUT just flat out sucks. HQs is a really good balanced map though. The prisoner is in the out in the open surrounded by shacks but the attackers get night vision and the defenders dont. Bridge is a little harder to attack than defend IMO because there are so few routes in.
Old 07-26-02, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got to play this for about 45 minutes yesterday on the pipeline map. I played the whole time on defense and I only killed 2 guys (thankfully both terrorists).

One thing I wish they would do is provide more briefing materials. You have 4 objectives but you have no idea where on the map they are. On the pipeline map you have to protect 3 valves, but its not like they are labled in the game or anything. I'd like to see a simple overhead map, maybe some intel photos with labels, and you should be told where you are going to start. I guess its probably one of those 'nice to have' things that will never be done.

At least the game isn't buggy at all, really.

One question, what determines if you will not play a round? A couple of times after a round was finished I wouldn't be in the next game. Is this a bug?

Sounds like the new patch should be out soon, sounds like some good stuff will be in there.

Last edited by CharlesC; 07-26-02 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-26-02, 10:49 AM

even though the game looks really good, i still prefer counterstrike.
Old 07-26-02, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its been a while since I've played counter strike but it seems that the people playing AA are a little less spazy.
Old 07-26-02, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CharlesC
I guess its probably one of those 'nice to have' things that will never be done.
I dont know. Gabe and Tycho from Penny Arcade said they cornered the developers and grilled them. Supposedly for every "will we be able to" question they shot at them the reply was that they were already working on it. They also implied that if anything they were over-funded for updates. All in all I have high hopes for this game. Its damn good already.

And the pre-planning/staging area you mentioned is desperately needed too.
Old 07-26-02, 04:33 PM

That patch will be great!!

SITREP (7.25.02)
Got great news from HQ: the Marksmanship Pack is nearly complete, troops! Even better, the Marksmanship Pack is packed with much, much more than just the single-player U.S. Army Sniper School missions. Responding to the feedback from our community, we've decided to add a number of additional features in this release, to include the following: tools that kick AFK players; TeamTalk options (allowing you to radio all your live and --er--'retired' team members); added green-tinted tracers to the OFPOR RPK (allowing you to distinguish between friendly and OPFOR MGs); changed the M4A1 to be fully-automatic; removed the MOUT McKenna training requirement; tightened the belt around ROE scoring (violations in the first 30 seconds will earn you an immediate 'kick' and ROE violations in the first 45 seconds doubles the penalty) and fixes for the Ghost Player and Rifle Range bugs. Oh...and one other thing, too: an In-Game Browser. Hooah! Yes, the DEV team has been busy (we let them outside at least one hour a day to stretch...) But rather than releasing these features one-by-one, we've decided to burn the midnight oil and put 'em all in one rucksack. The complete Marksmanship Pack will be ready for prime time in just a matter of days. In the meantime, grab your gear - head to the range - and sharpen your marksmanship skills at the M16 Basic Rifle Marksmanship range. [Bacchus]

Great changes! Although the ROE thing in the first 30 seconds I don't agree with, I would prefer they just lower ROE a bit before you get kicked. The Ingame browser though, forget snipers, THAT is what will help the game... cause Gamespy is complete and utter crap.
Old 07-27-02, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: That patch will be great!!

Originally posted by Feneant
Great changes! Although the ROE thing in the first 30 seconds I don't agree with, I would prefer they just lower ROE a bit before you get kicked.
No no no no no!!! This is the BEST THING EVER!!! I have been playing this alot almost obsessively. One thing I see repeatedly is that somebody gets hit with friendly fire and immediately runs up the guy who shot him next round and justs unloads on him.

And nine times out of ten its a guy who did someting stupid like smoked a key defense route or ran at his teammates without warning them.

The AFK kick is good but they need to make vote kicking a litle more obvious/easy to do as well.
Old 07-27-02, 02:07 PM

Re: Re: That patch will be great!!

Originally posted by joltaddict

And nine times out of ten its a guy who did someting stupid like smoked a key defense route or ran at his teammates without warning them.

Forget smoke, if I say 'I'm covering this place' and someone comes without answering, I usually unload just as the person appears so I have killed teammates a bit. Especially in a place like Insurgent Camp, I often cover the tunnel on defense and make my team well aware, but you STILL get people who come in the back way without warning to they get killed. Even on Bridge, people run to the center arc when on defense to that frequently, you will either nade or shoot them just by defending...

I do normally have an ROE of 0 as I am careful and only hit my teammates when they comes in the attacking way and don't warn and I've only seen 1 person get sent to 'jail' for ROE.
Old 07-27-02, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Man, that bridge level is impossible on assault. The defense doesn't even have to move. Plus people don't seem to grasp how to use their smoke grenades.

Those freaking grenade launchers...
Some guys on defense will just launch from one end of bridge to the other right at the beginning. I got killed a bunch by that.

Tough game...
Old 07-27-02, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Man, that bridge level is impossible on assault.
A good team can win easy. Most wont coordinate an attack though. There are three paths to the end of the bridge, the center and the catwalks on each end. A team working together using smoke and concentrating on the right catwalk (right side from the assault perspective) can win 9 out of 10 times. Its very hard to defend that ledge without being completely exposed. But you rarely see anybody working as a team to cross. I had 8 guys left on assault last night with only me left. I dropped back to the hill on the right side angled so I could see the approach and popped them as they came. They must not have been communicating at all. I got all 8 and not one of them tried to smoke or even flank me. I dont think they even knew how to get on the ladders. 8, one at a time right down the middle. 4 nades in a row followed by 4 head shots.
Old 07-28-02, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hmm, I'll have to try that right hand side thing. But that way is directly in the path of the balcony. Very hard to come up the catwalk while the balcony is looking right at you, especially when you have to go single file.
Old 07-28-02, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

that way is directly in the path of the balcony. Very hard to come up the catwalk while the balcony is looking right at you, especially when you have to go single file.
Yeah you need a good team. Or at least one or two good teammates. That balcony is completely exposed. You cant go prone and if youre crouched any assaulter at the arch has a clear shot at you. And forget it if the assault team takes the roof of the arch. You cant use the balcony any more.

Had fun playing with you tonight too!
Old 07-28-02, 08:17 AM

It's hardly impossible to get a good team... although on defense I've done it a few times with 4-5 good people, all you need are a couple more who realize it's not a game where deathmatch works to play (I've played entire matches firing under 1 clip for 7 rounds). Assault is always much harder to coordinate.

The main reason are the idiots who go in and select the nade launcher over and over and just shoot at random across the map on places like Bridge, I normally try to not get it, it's either the M4A1 for kills or the M249 for support.

That map will change though, read the assault description, they have sniper support so once they add snipers there, it will hopefully help offset the difficulty...
Old 07-28-02, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah that was pretty fun. Gotta tell ya though, you pick just about the most boring spot. Good, but boring.

There seems to be two types of players, those who like to kill and those who don't like to get killed. They are spread equally on both offense and defense it seems. You've got the defenders who run straight at the offense, and you've got the offense guys who camp in the tower. Strange...
Old 07-28-02, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah that was pretty fun. Gotta tell ya though, you pick just about the most boring spot. Good, but boring.
Thats the one spot on D where you can cover all three paths. Thats how I did the 8 against 1 defense. The only ways to get me is to hit two or more routes at the same time or 203 the spot. I wont fire until I have a target so I dont give away my position. They usually dont know I there until its too late.
Old 07-28-02, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You must be a good shot. I tried that spot and I felt like I wouldn't be able to shoot anybody till they were right on top of me.

Right now my favorite spot on defense is the backside of the balcony stairs. I crouch on the stairs so that my gun is just above the little wall. This way when I start taking fire I can quickly scoot down the stairs. I get a very good view of the left of the arch, middle, and some right side. I like being able to see onto the other side of the arch. I get most of my kills off that spot when they try to get up the ladder or when they are on the roof.

Right now I'm getting addicted to assault on the bridge. I still haven't once won but its real fun when you've got 4-5 guys that will work together and cover each others back.

Do you guys have problems connecting to a empty server? I tried (hoping that more people would jump in) but it never connects.

Last edited by CharlesC; 07-28-02 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-29-02, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i must have the worst luck with this game. i do pretty well...usually taking out 3-5 people before i end up dying or else trying to complete the objective depending on which side i'm on, but every single time i die its from the hands of one of my teammates there are too many stupid f**ks that cant shoot for $hit or dont know how to throw grenades correctly and kill their own team..it really pisses me off
Old 07-29-02, 10:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have decided that the defense on bridge should NOT be allowed to have a grenade launcher. They just have way too many advantages as it is.

I've noticed that a grenade blast radius is pretty darn big, and that bridge isn't that wide. Once I get to the arch they just start nading the hell out of me. So far the best strategy is to hang back for the first couple of minutes and wait for the 1,2 or 3 stupid defenders to come to arch so you can pick them off, then move forward. Mostly the problem is getting every body to move with the smoke.

Tat -- Friendly fire is a problem, but usually if I report where I am headed often it is avoidable. If 90% of your team is holding up and grenading, then you probably shouldn't go rushing right up middle. Personally I'm sick of 1 or 2 'rambos' rushing forward and getting picked off, leaving the Assault team with 3-4 guys vs. 5-6 defenders.
Old 07-29-02, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by TaTTooD
every single time i die its from the hands of one of my teammates
If its happening consistantly and its not the same guy youre probally the one whos wrong. Simple rules... you dont run back toward your guys without communicating, if you move under smoke let your teammates know, if someone says they are covering an area dont roll there without telling them and NEVER Rush the objective on D (theres never a reason to run at the prisoners cage on HQ map for instance).
Old 07-29-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

so on single player, is there only one thing to do? basic rifle training?? all the rest say "unavailalble". any sp missions or anything? or all online after one basic rifle training session?
Old 07-29-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No single player missions...online only. The whole point is so that you get used to performing as a team. A single player game kind of requires a 'hero' to go in and kill all the baddies. I don't think that is an idea the Army would want to advertise.

I doubt they even coded any AI for bots or enemies.
Old 07-29-02, 03:43 PM

One thing I notice that annoys me is the damned M203. I was playing on Insurgent camp today on Assault (I normally do defense on all maps), and the bloody thing wont work... I mean sometimes it will go where you want it to, but other times it goes all over the place. I tried to shoot at some point over the hill (with me being nearly on top mind you, I could see over easily (probably an inch on the monitor) yet you shoot and there is no explosion but it damages you and everyone around. A few rounds after, I went to shoot the tower from just around the side and the nade launches and again I take damage with no explosion.

I don't know, I just think that the gun is whacked out on something... the grenades are supposed to arc, but they act more like they shoot to the ground and then go up... plus they have that insane radius too.
Old 07-29-02, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Strange, I haven't had any of those problems. One thing I have noticed is that a grenade won't always make a boom sound. Sometimes one will come in and all of a sudden three guys will just lie down, no boom, no explosion. Like a silenced grenade.

Something I read over on the forums was that the grenade has to have a certain number of rotations before it is armed. So if you shoot it at something only 10 feet away it just bounces off. Pretty cool that they got that detail in there.

Are you sure you aren't bouncing it off a tree or something?

I wonder if they will fix the site for the launcher in the patch.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.