Reload this Page >

Let's Talk about Metroid Prime

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-31-02, 01:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are everyone's thoughts on this FPA (First Person Adventure) game? The screen captures do look great (as good as Halo) and it is a strong license. But it still irks me the game is straying from its 2D platform roots, especially when Smash Bros. comes out and has awesome looking 2D platform levels and the game could have been based off of that. Another thing, the game looks too bright and happy to be Metroid. The Metroid I knew was in a blue world with limited colors. The buzz on this game, however, seems stronger than what I thought. Folks here (BrinStar for example) predict it to be the best game of 2002 (if it gets released). So should we be expecting one of the best FPS/FPA games every? If yes, then I'm amped! I haven't heard or seen much about this game, but what I have seen I like, aside from my small problems above.

Hmm... speaking of Metroid, I hope they release it on the old games on the GBA, that would be excellent.
Old 01-31-02, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm not real big on the whole Metroid franchise (having not played much of it at all) and I don't know about the story or anything... looks like you're a little robot guy fighting everything. That said - I think the new game looks impressive visually. It seems to be very much like Halo. I would say this is a must have for any GCN owner.

Nintendo would have to give me 5 more good reasons on top of Metroid Prime and Resident Evil in order to make me want to actually buy the system. Nothing that's out right now is my taste though. The thing that swayed me is that I found out you can buy a 10 dollar adapter and use your PS2 controllers on your GCN.
Old 01-31-02, 06:14 AM

looks like you're a little robot guy fighting
Well, actually Samus is a girl...
Old 01-31-02, 07:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I was a huge fan of Metroid on the NES and SUper NES, and am interested to see how it translates into 3D and first person. The screens look amazing and the franchise is strong, so I don't really see how they could screw this up.

I hope it gets released this year. But if it takes longer to make the game as great as it should/could be, then I'll be patient.
Old 01-31-02, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I too was skeptical when I heard it was a FPS/A. The previous Metroids relied heavily on jumping and items such as grappling hooks. I'm not sure how well those elements will translate in the new game.

I guess the heart of the Metroid games is exploration. If they are able to retain that aspect then the game should be fine.
Old 01-31-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am still very skeptical about Metroid Prime. My problem comes directly from Retro Studios itself. It was on top of the world at one time and was perceived as one of the better 2nd party developers that Nintendo had. Then Retro took the money and ran with it. Much like Ion Storm, they grew too large for their own good and spent a good deal of money on material things instead of developing their 4 games they had at that time. Those 4 games are now down to only 1, Metroid Prime, thanks to Nintendo going in and eliminating the others. Nintendo was not happy with the progress of Metroid Prime, so they eliminated the other 3 games (1 was pretty much done) and had Retro put all it's resources toward Metroid Prime.

When Metroid Prime was announced as a first-person adventure I was very pissed. I know many were pissed at Zelda's cel presentation, but I was far more pissed about Metroid Prime. I knew the next Metroid would be 3D, there was no doubt about that. It takes guts to make a 2D adventure game these days and Konami seems to be the only one willing to do it (Castlevania: Symphony of the Night). Miyamoto personally handed Metroid to Retro Studios after the original creator of Metroid and the GameBoy died. Granted, it took years for them to pass it along, but they did.

Chances are I will buy Metroid Prime. I want to see it in playable mode first though. Retro is going to live or die by this game. They may go the way of Ion Storm or maybe they will continue to make games after this. I don't know if Metroid Prime will be the game of the year (if it even comes out this year), it all depends on how Retro creates Metroid in a 3D world. Miyamoto himself brough Mario and Zelda to 3D and they were both excellent moves, we'll have to wait and see about Metroid.
Old 01-31-02, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think this game is going to be great. The game itself as always been popular with American's, not the Japanese. It will be interesting to see what an American Company does with the license with the aid of the big N.

As far as how great it is, I don't know. Metroid is a super license with a great story line, a lot can be done with that. In terms of quality, you know that Nintendo won't release it until it at lease a very good game.

A key thing is not to over hype this game. It will only create some level of a let down once it's released, no matter how great of a game.

Whether or not it will be out this year, well here's the latest word from Nintendo:

Question: What about the completion status of GameCube titles currently in development in America such as Metroid Prime?

Iwata-san: Metroid Prime is coming along well, I'm confident it will be ready in 2002. Developers have remarked about speed by which they can develop GameCube games. It's literally cuts the development time in half compared to other consoles. You'll really begin to see that difference by the second half of 2002.
Taken from Core.

*EDIT*
In regards to the hoopla about it being in FP, I think that needs to be dropped. The original creator, who has now sadly passed away, originally stated with the release of the SNES version that he wished there was a way to represent the game the way he saw it in his head, in 3d.

The game is about exploration, FPS represents this catagory quite well. I understand how people resist change and why, but it's time to move on. This is not to say that the game would not have been good in 2d, I'm sure it would have been great.

However Nintendo is not just about making great games, they are about taking their games to the next level.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 01-31-02 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-31-02, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jeffdsmith
In regards to the hoopla about it being in FP, I think that needs to be dropped. The original creator, who has now sadly passed away, originally stated with the release of the SNES version that he wished there was a way to represent the game the way he saw it in his head, in 3d.

The game is about exploration, FPS represents this catagory quite well. I understand how people resist change and why, but it's time to move on. This is not to say that the game would not have been good in 2d, I'm sure it would have been great.
It was a foregone conclusion that the next Metroid would be 3D as I said above. However, they could have made it into a 3rd person 3D game like Zelda, Mario, Jak and Daxter, etc. and added in a first-person option like in Metal Gear Solid 2 to get good shots off. Keeping it mostly first-person (it has recently been shown that when in a ball you go into 3rd person mode) was a mistake in my opinion. I like first-person shooters, but I've never dreamt of Metroid as a first-person shooter/adventure.

For the pictures I've seen, it does look cool that they've given a realistic feel to what Samus would be looking at through the visor. That is the type of innovation Miyamoto is known for and maybe he has rubbed a little of that off on Retro since he was the one that chose them to do Metroid.

I disagree with your FPS represents the category of exploration quite well. I say 3rd person represents it better. Look at the games I said above and tell me that they aren't hugely exploratory. I'd rather not be looking through Link, Mario and Jak's eyes to play those games.

Metroid Prime will live and die with how Retro has done the move from 2D to 3D. I have lost my faith in them and they need to show me something in motion to make me go "Wow!" I will still probably buy the game, but I don't know if it will achieve the greatness of Mario and Zelda or the other Metroids.

Last edited by AgtFox; 01-31-02 at 09:41 AM.
Old 01-31-02, 09:18 AM

Originally posted by greeny

Well, actually Samus is a girl...
Leave it to the ladies to defend Samus's femininity...

Old 01-31-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I disagree with your FPS represents the category of exploration qutie well. I say 3rd person represents it better.
There's little difference between the 2 views when it comes to exploration. FPS is a hell of a lot easier for combat though so I think this a good choice.

The thing that swayed me is that I found out you can buy a 10 dollar adapter and use your PS2 controllers on your GCN.
Old 01-31-02, 09:26 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Are we sure that the entire game is a FPS? From the gameplay movies I've seen it looks like you can control Samus in the third person for the platforming elements, but then switch to first person for combat (similiar to Mission: Impossible).
Old 01-31-02, 09:29 AM

First off, even if this game was utter crap I'd buy it instantly. 8 years since the last Metroid game.... I'm dying here and I'm such a tool of Nintendo...

But I really don't think it'll be all too bad. That shot that Nintendo Power had of Samus in her ball form made me giddy with excitement. It looks Retro will keep at least some elements of the classic Metroid games.

Plus, Matt Cassamassina (of IGNCube) reports that Nintendo is pleased with Metroid's progress so far. After hearing about Nintendo's rage at Retro for the past 6 months it's nice to hear something positive.

Like many Nintendo fans, I've been confident that Nintendo would simply not allow Retro to release a less than stellar game, no matter how untalented that team is. Under EAD's guidance (and I hear they get a lot of that) I'm sure that Metroid Prime will turn out to be a pretty good game. Do I expect Super Metroid quality? Of course not, but it should be fun all the same.
Old 01-31-02, 11:50 AM
Retired

I think it'll be great. It's too important to Nintendo for them to let it be less than stellar, plus their first party franchise titles are always top notch. They won't let the game come out if Retro didn't do an A+ job on it. I expect it will be to the Metroid series what Zelda: OOT was to the Zelda series-- the perfect 3D upgrade.

BTW the jumping and stuff should still be intact. From what I've read it's mostly a third person game, with first person modes/ camera in some places.
Old 01-31-02, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
BTW the jumping and stuff should still be intact. From what I've read it's mostly a third person game, with first person modes/ camera in some places
That's what I'm hoping for. I felt that they really used that system well in Batman:Vengeance. If they do it that way, I'm really stoked for this game! If it's all 1st person, I'm not sure. I love the Metroid series, but I'd have to see it before I would buy it. Not a big FPS person, as a rule.

X
Old 01-31-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hey, if it sucks we'll still have Metroid IV on the GBA.
Old 01-04-14, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Let's Talk about Metroid Prime

I just threw this in, and started replaying it. It's incredible to me that if this game came out today I don't think anyone would complain about the graphics. The art design still ranks among the best ever. The worlds and environments are so enveloping.

One of the greatest games of all time. If there was a videogame "Hall Of Fame" this game would be a great first entry.
Old 01-04-14, 03:43 PM
Banned

12 year bump?
Old 01-04-14, 04:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 899 Likes on 760 Posts

i loved finishing this game. never did manage to get through Echoes though.
Old 01-04-14, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by taffer
12 year bump?
I thought it would be fun to relive some of the early thoughts. Everyone was nervous about platform jumping in 3-D, and 3-D in general.

If you've never played it, find it, and enjoy it.
Old 01-04-14, 04:32 PM

Received 1,889 Likes on 1,115 Posts

Originally Posted by taffer
12 year bump?
It was either revive an ancient thread or have someone post a link to old thread with a snarky comment about we already have a thread about it. Stuck, either way.
Old 01-04-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by story
It was either revive an ancient thread or have someone post a link to old thread with a snarky comment about we already have a thread about it. Stuck, either way.
lol
True.

Plus, 12 years ago dvdtalk was very much about...DVD talk. The video game page was so insignificant that one of the greatest games of all time had only 15 posts !

Times have changed - for the better.
Old 01-04-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'll revisit the series one day. I just don't know how I feel about opening my sealed copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy.
Old 01-04-14, 07:37 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Are we sure that the entire game is a FPS? From the gameplay movies I've seen it looks like you can control Samus in the third person for the platforming elements, but then switch to first person for combat (similiar to Mission: Impossible).
This is incorrect. Only the sequences where Samus converts to a ball are in third person. Everything else is first person.
Old 01-04-14, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mission: Impossible?
Old 01-04-14, 08:01 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Shouldn't that be "Expect the: Impossible"?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.