Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Number of XBox launch titles triples the GameCube launch.

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Number of XBox launch titles triples the GameCube launch.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-01, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Flay, if the Xbox fails, it won't be for the lack of evangelizing on your part. Halo looks to be a great game and it'll likely hit the million sold mark as Xbox shipments near 2 million sometime in the first half of next year.

The likelihood that any of the other Xbox launch titles will see that kind of success isn't very good though. By the time there are enough boxes in the field for them to realistically sell that many copies, most of these launch titles will have already faded into obscurity.
Old 11-01-01, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by joltaddict

By your username I would guess Rogue but your status (and your many posts in Otter) makes me think NHL Hitz.

???
NHL Hitz is available on both systems so I don't think that would be it
Old 11-01-01, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By your username I would guess Rogue but your status (and your many posts in Otter) makes me think NHL Hitz.

???
Yup it is Rogue. Also the amount of launch games does not really matter to me. I mean Nintendo usually doesn't put out a ton of games, but they are mostly quality games.

Quality not quanity.
Old 11-01-01, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Trigger
NHL Hitz is available on both systems so I don't think that would be it
But he's the Hockey God!!!!!!
Old 11-01-01, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

But he's the Hockey God!!!!!!
That trips over the blue line.

Old 11-01-01, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I just wonder how anyone could afford all those games at launch...

I have never purchased more than one or two games at launch, since better games are inevitably going to come down the line.

Flay, I don't see why you posted this information. You obviously want to show that X-box has more launch titles than Gamecube.

*crickets chirping*

Here that? NO ONE CARES! I want a Gamecube because I like the games they are putting out for it. I don't want a X-box because I DON'T like the games they are putting out for it. I don't care if they put out 100+ games at launch...if there isn't ONE that catches my interest, then I wouldn't buy one. Is that so hard to understand? I'm not excited about Halo, I'd rather play Return to Wolfenstein on my PC, I stopped playing fighters years ago so DOA3 is out, and I never liked the Odysee series.

What was the point of posting this? Has anyone made the claim that GC will have more titles at launch that you are responding to? Or are you just trying to "prove" something?
Old 11-01-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by darkside

I want to play Halo though. I'm not a big FPS guy, but that games looks very cool. It should be the game most Xbox buyers go home with on the launch day.
I called the local gamestop. Turns out they didn't get their Halo demo disk in, they got the full version. (and fusion frenzy). Guess I know what I'll be doing tomorrow after class.

Games I want for Xbox (from launch), or at least very interested in: 6

Gamecube: 1-2

Tuan Jim
Old 11-01-01, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by KnightSkywalker

Yup it is Rogue. Also the amount of launch games does not really matter to me. I mean Nintendo usually doesn't put out a ton of games, but they are mostly quality games.

Quality not quanity.
Well I think they both have quality releases - Xbox just has more releases. It all comes down to which systems has the most games you are interested in. I think since the Xbox has more games, that's more variety... I was able to pick out quite a few must-have titles.

Gamecube
All Star Baseball 2002 - Not interested in baseball games
Luigi's Mansion - Never been a fan.
Madden 2002 - Not interested in football games
NHL Hitz 2002 - Mildly interested
Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II - Not interested
Super Monkey Ball - What?? Sounds dumb.
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 - Yes, I'd get this but it'll be available for all systems soon enough
Wave Race - Not interested

X-box
4x4 Evolution 2 - Never cared for this series
Airforce Delta Storm - Looks sweet - I'd rent first though
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding - Looks good.
Arctic Thunder - Pass.
Cel Damage - Looks fun - have to rent first.
Dark Summit - Looks good. I want at least one Snowboarding game - have to try them before I buy one (or two).
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 - This looks bad, but perhaps what I saw was in the early beta stages and the kinks will be ironed out. Still very low on my interest meter.
Dead Or Alive 3 - Not interested - I don't like fighting games.
Fusion Frenzy - ? Don't know what this is.
Halo - Must have title for me.
Kabuki Warriors - Don't know what this is.
Mad Dash Racing - My roommate said this looks cool, but I thought it looked lame.
Madden 2002 - Not interested.
Nascar Heat 2002 - Can't say I'd buy a racing game before trying it first. I'd have to rent it first.
Nascar Thunder 2002 - I'd have to rent first.
NFL Fever 2002 - I don't care about football.
NHL Hitz 2002 - Mildly interested in hockey. Now if it was Soccer...
Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysey - Looks bad. Will ignore this.
Project Gotham Racing - Even though it's a racing game, I'd buy this one before playing.
Shrek - Looks super ultra lame.
Simpson’s Road Rage - Lame.
Star Wars: Starfighter SE - Lame.
Test Drive Offroad: Wide Open - Lame
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2X - Must Have for me...

As for the other games that catch my attention - I consider these Must Have titles and this is what is making my decision for me.

X-box
Jet Set Radio Future
Silent Hill 2
Project Ego
Sam and Max
The Thing
Strident
Jonny Drama (not a must-have, but looks great)
Galleon
And at least 5-10 other games that look promising.

Gamecube
Resident Evil
Fifa 2002
Duke Nukem Forever (But I'd rather just get it on the PC)

No truly compelling reasons for me to get a Gamecube yet, but that doesn't mean I don't have my eye on it. Chances are I'll end up just playing games on my PC forever and never get another console again (since the Atari 2600). If I do get just one console, it'll probably be the Xbox.
Old 11-01-01, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It all comes down to which systems has the most games you are interested in
Exactly. The only game I would be remotley interested in on the Xbox is UFC Tapout...

Not downing the system or anything, I am sure it is great, I am just not interested in it.
Old 11-01-01, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by draven-x
[thread crap]...snip...[/thread crap]
Dude - relax... he was just pointing out that there were more games. You don't have to like the games. Feel free to express your opinion about what games you like or don't like, but take it easy on the guy who posted this... I kinda find it interesting how many titles each system will have at launch... sure it's more important how good those games are, but it's still interesting. It seemed to me like the N64 launched with only 3 games or something... I didn't understand why people would buy it if they only had 3 games to choose from - but you know - everyone has different taste in games and the fact that the Xbox will have more games just means there will be more to choose from for the consumer - that's all. You don't have to get so hot-headed about it.
Old 11-01-01, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Exactly. The only game I would be remotley interested in on the Xbox is UFC Tapout...

Not downing the system or anything, I am sure it is great, I am just not interested in it.
Yeah - I'm not trying to dump on the Gamecube either - I'm sure it's a fine system too, but the games don't really interest me. So we just have different taste in games. Nothing to squawk about like Micro$oft $uck$ or Nintendo is for infants... I think these VS. threads should stop and we should just have Xbox threads and Gamecube threads and if you don't like one of those systems, just stay out of the discussion. I think it would make us all better friends.

Any game we can all agree is cool? Tetris?
Old 11-01-01, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
going from your post (saves me work ;p)

Tuan Jim's list:

Gamecube
All Star Baseball 2002 - Nope
Luigi's Mansion - Nope
Madden 2002 - Heck no.
NHL Hitz 2002 - Nope
Rogue Leader: Rogue Squadron II - hated the first one, this looks no different
Super Monkey Ball - Nope
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 - Nope
Wave Race - only one from launch I'd consider

X-box
4x4 Evolution 2 - nope
Airforce Delta Storm - maybe (rent first)
Amped: Freestyle Snowboarding - maybe (rent first)
Arctic Thunder - Nope
Cel Damage - nope
Dark Summit - Looks good. Rent first
Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 - Heck no
Dead Or Alive 3 - Pre-order
Fusion Frenzy - Looks very definite. Think Mario Party type thing with 70 subgames, fully 3d. Heard great things. Hope to test it tomorrow.
Halo - Pre-Order
Kabuki Warriors - nope
Mad Dash Racing - Looks like a ton of fun, but still - test first.
Madden 2002 - nope
Max Payne -- Maybe. I'll wait and see.
Nascar Heat 2002 - Nope
Nascar Thunder 2002 - no
NFL Fever 2002 - nope.
NHL Hitz 2002 - heck no.
Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysey - might rent for a weekend.
Project Gotham Racing - test first. but probably
Shrek - nope
Simpson’s Road Rage - nope
Star Wars: Starfighter SE - quite possibly. Test first.
Test Drive Offroad: Wide Open - nope
Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 2X - heck no

As for the other games that catch my attention - I consider these Must Have titles and this is what is making my decision for me.

X-box
Unreal Championship
Unseen
Malice
Brute Force
Jet Set Radio Future
Silent Hill 2
Project Ego
Sam and Max
The Thing
Strident
Blood Wake -- almost 100% certain
Morrowind -- No doubt whatsoever. My PC has no chance in hell of running this.
And at least 5-10 other games that look promising.

Gamecube
Smash Brothers Melee

Thanks for doing the hard stuff trigger ;p

This is my first console too. It's expensive, but I've dumped enough dvds, and saved enough that I can afford it. I think it'll be well worth it.

Tuan Jim
Old 11-01-01, 10:20 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by draven-x
What was the point of posting this? Has anyone made the claim that GC will have more titles at launch that you are responding to? Or are you just trying to "prove" something?
Just wishing Nintendo could have waited a little longer to bring their product to the public with a few more games, not to mention longer ones. We have already heard the rumblings of the shortness of Luigi's Mansion, Pikmin, and WaveRace. I just wish Nintendo had brought more to the table like Mario, Zelda, or Perfect Dark 2. Nintendo could also have used better 3rd party support.

Seeing how Microsoft is a brand new player in the console race, I find it quite amazing that their launch lineup is more diverse and plentiful than Nintendo's. This will not only attract more gamers, but also give them a great start in the console competition.
Old 11-01-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Flay

Seeing how Microsoft is a brand new player in the console race, I find it quite amazing that their launch lineup is more diverse and plentiful than Nintendo's. This will not only attract more gamers, but also give them a great start in the console competition.
I think you named the reason right there why there lineup is so plentiful. They are the new guy on the block and they have to make a name for themselves.

Nintendo has a history, a pretty good one, so they can get away with a small amount of titles.

Sadly not even a kick ass lineup of games could save the DC. The Saturn totaly screwed there repution...and the 32x....and the Sega CD...
Old 11-01-01, 10:35 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Sadly not even a kick ass lineup of games could save the DC. The Saturn totaly screwed there repution...and the 32x....and the Sega CD...
True. Sega's main problem was with the green stuff. Sega at its height of power in 2000 was worth around 2.5 Billion. Unfortunately, they just didn't have the money to stay in the game due to console costs and piracy.

That is something Microsoft will not have one bit of trouble with. Heck, Billy probably has a billion dollars lost in his couch cushions.

Anyway, Sega was very smart to go to software production. They will be back to making tons of money once again and I wouldn't be suprised to see another console from them many years down the line.
Old 11-01-01, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... I wouldn't be suprised to see another console from them many years down the line.
I really hope so. I don't want to be labeled a fanboy but I really love there stuff. Admittedly though the Saturn is one of the main reasons I took a 4 year break from gaming. After it went down so shortly I just gave up on gaming.

Then comes the Dreamcast, a system that I will be playing for awhile still.
Old 11-01-01, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sega's main problem was with the green stuff. Sega at its height of power in 2000 was worth around 2.5 Billion. Unfortunately, they just didn't have the money to stay in the game due to console costs and piracy.
Sega's biggest problem was it was a gaming company run by hardcore gamers. Sony came in and treated it as a business, they seriously took mainsteam (casual) gamers into consideration. And it worked... it put boxes in homes. Once they had the install base they did... the rest is history.

Meanwhile the guys at Sega are still saying "Wouldnt it be cool if we had a maracca contoller?" Nobody in management tells them its financially irresponsible. As a software company they could still do this. The corporate culture actually benefits them. But to be the platform of choice? Probally best left to others.

I would rather see them concentrate on the games, another console could bancrupt them and Mattel could end up with their licenses, like Atari. Just gimme a bad ass Virtual Fighter every year and Ill get what ever console it plays best on.
Old 11-01-01, 11:00 PM
Retired

It's quality not quantity that matters for me.

Out of the Gamecube Launch games Rogue Leader, Tony Hawk 3, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Madden 2002 interest me. Where as only Halo and Madden 2002 interest me out of the X-Box games.

At any rate this is a dumb thread. I don't see why you have to post all this pro X-box crap. I mean it's not newsworthy everyone knows that the X-box has a larger lauch line-up. This is just a dumb thread. You don't see me starting any "The gamecube has 3 more good launch games that the X-box" threads do you?
Old 11-01-01, 11:01 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Meanwhile the guys at Sega are still saying "Wouldnt it be cool if we had a maracca contoller?"
LOL! That is the truth.
Old 11-01-01, 11:04 PM

fanboys, i am a gaming afficionado (sp) so i am buying both so i can get the best of both worlds. I don't understand how there can be so many fanboys! (Ps2 SuckZ, Xbox Roolz, Gamecube bloze) GROW UP! Buy both (or all 3, or every system like me) and enjoy the ALL the good stuff that comes out instead of just a few titles.

Last edited by vwbeetlvr; 11-01-01 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-01-01, 11:10 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Originally posted by joshhinkle
It's quality not quantity that matters for me.

Out of the Gamecube Launch games Rogue Leader, Tony Hawk 3, Luigi's Mansion, Wave Race and Madden 2002 interest me. Where as only Halo and Madden 2002 interest me out of the X-Box games.

At any rate this is a dumb thread. I don't see why you have to post all this pro X-box crap. I mean it's not newsworthy everyone knows that the X-box has a larger lauch line-up. This is just a dumb thread. You don't see me starting any "The gamecube has 3 more good launch games that the X-box" threads do you?
You seem to think that the basis of the thread is my opinonated views. I just stated the fact that the XBox will have more games than the Gamecube at launch. In my first post in this thread, I never gave an opinon on the quality of the games for either system as you would have people think.

You seem to get quite defensive over the XBox having a larger and more diverse launch lineup than the GameCube. Why is that?
Old 11-01-01, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOL! That is the truth.
God help me... I have two sets!
Old 11-01-01, 11:15 PM
Retired

You seem to get quite defensive over the XBox having a larger and more diverse launch lineup than the GameCube. Why is that?
I'm not defensive at all. The only reason you started this thread was to put out something good about the X-box by saying it has more launch games. There was no reason to post that, as I said above it has been common knowledge for quite some time that it would have a larger launch line-up. You have to post something pro X-box everyday. I would understand if it was newsworthy, i.e. new game announcements, reviews, etc.

It's sick how obsessed you are with a system that's not even out yet, from a company that has no console history.

Hell I'm excited as hell about the GC, but I wouldn't call myself a GC fan. You can't be a fan of something that isn't out yet. I've simply always loved nintendo's games and systems, and hope that this one will live up to there tradition. I post GC news, reviews, etc. and that's it. I don't post GC propaganda. I could give a crap less how many people here buy a GC, or an X-box or a PS2, whereas you seem to make it your daily mission to convince people that the X-box will be the best system. Give it a rest. If you have newsworthy X-box topics to post, then great. However, there's no need to post crap like this, that is simply using old news to say "the x-box rules."
Old 11-01-01, 11:36 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

I'm not defensive at all. The only reason you started this thread was to put out something good about the X-box by saying it has more launch games. There was no reason to post that, as I said above it has been common knowledge for quite some time that it would have a larger launch line-up. You have to post something pro X-box everyday. I would understand if it was newsworthy, i.e. new game announcements, reviews, etc.

It's sick how obsessed you are with a system that's not even out yet, from a company that has no console history.

Hell I'm excited as hell about the GC, but I wouldn't call myself a GC fan. You can't be a fan of something that isn't out yet. I've simply always loved nintendo's games and systems, and hope that this one will live up to there tradition. I post GC news, reviews, etc. and that's it. I don't post GC propaganda. I could give a crap less how many people here buy a GC, or an X-box or a PS2, whereas you seem to make it your daily mission to convince people that the X-box will be the best system. Give it a rest. If you have newsworthy X-box topics to post, then great. However, there's no need to post crap like this, that is simply using old news to say "the x-box rules."
If you somehow infer that "XBox Rules" because I posted about the number of launch games, you are jumping to conclusions. I never said something like "XBox Roxors! GC Suxors!" You thought that up all by yourself.

I posted this to compare one aspect of the two launches. Seemingly, GC and the XBox launches will be compared this holiday season regardless of your preferences.

You just seem to be so worried about the XBox and what I post about it. If it makes you feel more secure about the Gamecube, I can just as easily post some info about the Gamecube that I find exciting or was beneficial to their launch status. I could post info about one of the Gamecube games I am most looking foward to, Perfect Dark 2. But I will only start posting that kind of info if it will make you feel less insecure about your Gamecube purchase.
Old 11-02-01, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm not defensive at all.
Well it kinda seems that way... no offense.
The only reason you started this thread was to put out something good about the X-box by saying it has more launch games.
And your reason for starting this thread was...?
I don't post GC propaganda.
But you'll post "news" about their advertising campaign and call it "proof" that the Gamecube won't be just for kids because the ad will run in Rolling Stone? Link
I could give a crap less how many people here buy a GC, or an X-box or a PS2
Then this thread certainly has a strange title...

and then there's this: Poll: What next generation system will come out on top? by joshhinkle.
that is simply using old news to say "the x-box rules." [/B]
This one was too easy, so I'll refrain.

I'm sorry - I'm not trying to give you sh**... I agree that this debate is funny for systems that aren't even out, but it seems we all have already picked sides and no matter how impartial we try to be we still spout off at each other like vicious dogs. Perhaps we should stay out of threads that are about consoles we don't care about.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.