Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race Season 36 (CBS) Premieres 3-13-24

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-24, 10:46 AM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race Season 36 (CBS) Premieres 3-13-24

I've seen every episode twice and I've never heard mention of separate crew cars before. We have seen mention of camera guys sitting in car next to them previously. I always thought that was all they needed since they could get video and sound and put a GPS tracker on the camera riding with them. I was fascinated hearing about the mechanics of the show but it does diminish a little of the 'race' aspect when you found out more of this behind the scenes stuff that makes it seem more scripted.

I'm not as ticked off as some of you seem to be. There's a disclaimer in the fine print of the credits about things being edited not affecting the outcome and let's be honest, this is a TV show, not a real race like the Indy 500 or Tour de France or something.

I think a lot of the 'rules' are flexible especially when it comes down to production saving money and knowing that there is no chance in hell the team will come back from a bad choice or poor performance. Think of the times they change the last task for a team they know is 6 hours behind everyone so they skip right to the mat instead of wasting time going through challenges hours apart and making everyone involved stand around waiting.

I don't think Danny and Angie were that far behind but I definitely didn't see them staying in the race beyond this or the next leg. It would be a different story if this happened with the pilots or gay twins.
Old 05-04-24, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
I don't think Danny and Angie were that far behind but I definitely didn't see them staying in the race beyond this or the next leg. It would be a different story if this happened with the pilots or gay twins.
Weren't they in 2nd place when they told them to wait?

All I know is that if it had happened to me, I would have gone apeshit.
Old 05-05-24, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 417 Likes on 316 Posts

Just caught up with the last 3 episodes after coming back from a 3 week vacation. Lots of drama! haha
Old 05-14-24, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Rod airmailing those first few throws to first base.
Seemed like the teams don't follow MLB much. Only the pilots made a big deal out of receiving one of their clues from longtime pitcher Bartolo Colón.

Congratulations to Yvonne/Melissa and their newborn, and congrats for helping cement Ricky/Cesar's status as one of the most dominant teams ever on the Race. The petroglyph roadblock was probably the best opportunity for the other teams to knock out R/C had they all banded & worked together (granted it would've pissed off those who hate alliances.)

Team WallaWalla weren't the only ones affected by production crew issues , very close to overtaking the nurses:
https://www.goldderby.com/article/20...xit-interview/

Old 05-15-24, 11:28 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

ugh. Another season of Amazing Race with the winning team being the one I hated the most. I can't think of another more annoying team in recent memory. If only the pilots hadn't messed up the Pat/Geno thing!!!!! How could anyone living in Northeast not know about Pat and Genos cheesesteaks. It's one of the things Philly is known for, it's been on national TV, in movies, it's been around for at least 40 years.

Was weird to see the COVID masks again but then I remembered the season they aired last year was shot AFTER this one. Now that I see how horrible this season was I can see why they were in no rush to get it to air. I hope they NEVER do a South/Central America based race again and I hope they never repeat the favoritism towards some teams by focusing on countries where some teams are fluent in the language (in this case Spanish) and have clear advantages over the others. I have no doubt that in my mind Ricky and Cesar would not have won if they had ended up in Asia and India for a few legs.
Old 05-16-24, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

Pretty sweet to have all he legs but one be in a location where one team member is a native language speaker, and the other leg is in the city where the other team member lived.
Old 05-16-24, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix

Was weird to see the COVID masks again but then I remembered the season they aired last year was shot AFTER this one. Now that I see how horrible this season was I can see why they were in no rush to get it to air. I hope they NEVER do a South/Central America based race again and I hope they never repeat the favoritism towards some teams by focusing on countries where some teams are fluent in the language (in this case Spanish) and have clear advantages over the others. I have no doubt that in my mind Ricky and Cesar would not have won if they had ended up in Asia and India for a few legs.
They were pretty restricted where they could film because this was during Covid lockdowns. And also within the countries we saw very few interactions btwn contestants and locals. Otherwise it would have sucked that the 1st time they were in some of these countries instead of really interesting cool local spots they just had tasks at major american tourist hubs like Rhianna's Childhood home and some house Elizabeth Taylor lived in,
Old 05-16-24, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 198 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm originally from Philly, and I can tell you there's nothing more iconic than Pat's Pizza of New Jersey!

With the exception of the surf sailing fail, it really did feel like pre-game they interviewed Ricky and Cesar asking them all their strengths ... and made sure the entire race was that. Although unlike some of you I liked them. They always seemed so positive and enthusiastic, without it becoming annoying. Having dominated the race I was glad to see them take it home at the end. And to be fair, the challenges in Philly were absolutely not in Cesar's wheelhouse ... but he crushed it anyway.

What an awful final challenge though. Aren't they supposed to be epic, and capable of allowing swings in the race standings? I know many problems of this season can be blamed on the COVID restrictions, but challenge design shouldn't have been impacted ... and that's been a problem all season. And we had another detour (with the pirate drinks) where absolutely no one chose the other side. And with how easy that task looked, the teams probably made an easy right decision.
Old 05-16-24, 08:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
Pretty sweet to have all he legs but one be in a location where one team member is a native language speaker, and the other leg is in the city where the other team member lived.
Definitely home field advantage for most of the race
Old 05-16-24, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

There was no suspense at all with this season. It was telegraphed who was going to win every episode. The worst part was the small hope that the balance challenge could finally tip the scales. Alas, no.
Old 05-16-24, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

I do not remember from past races, but do the final 3 teams always start the final leg at the same time? Seems like the team who came in first should get something out of it, like every other leg.
Old 05-16-24, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I do not remember from past races, but do the final 3 teams always start the final leg at the same time? Seems like the team who came in first should get something out of it, like every other leg.
No. They start based on thier arrival to the last pit stop. But this was the last season shot with the COVID protection protocols, so they had to start at the same time.
Old 05-17-24, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
To be fair the pilots also had a native Spanish speaker and a handful of the other teams seemed fairly fluent as well. It was a fairly boring season though and hopefully they won't feel the need to revisit Latin America any time soon.
Old 05-17-24, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 417 Likes on 316 Posts

I do not remember from past races, but do the final 3 teams always start the final leg at the same time?

Originally Posted by emachine12
No. They start based on thier arrival to the last pit stop. But this was the last season shot with the COVID protection protocols, so they had to start at the same time.
I’m no Race history expert, but I’m quite sure that all 3 teams start at the same time on the final leg. In previous seasons that required booking flights, all 3 teams were automatically booked on the same flight (didn’t have to scramble to find a travel agency) and started the leg at the same time.

The penultimate leg still gives the start time advantage based on the previous leg ranking.

Seems like the team who came in first should get something out of it, like every other leg.

The first place team from the penultimate leg does get rewarded. They get the penultimate leg prize. It may not be the start time advantage in the final leg, but the prize is what they get.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 05-17-24 at 11:08 PM.