Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Doctor Who - Season 1 Thread - S: Ncuti Gatwa

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-23, 02:32 PM

Received 4,842 Likes on 3,274 Posts
Doctor Who - Season 1 Thread - S: Ncuti Gatwa

Watch THE CHURCH ON RUBY ROAD on Christmas Day, on BBC iPlayer in the UK and Disney+ in the rest of the world.
Long ago on Christmas Eve, a baby was abandoned in the snow. Today, Ruby Sunday meets the Doctor, stolen babies, goblins and perhaps the secret of her birth...

Christmas has come early as brand new images are released from the Doctor Who Christmas special – The Church on Ruby Road. As the Fifteenth Doctor, played by Ncuti Gatwa, takes over the TARDIS for his first epic adventure he will be joined by Ruby Sunday, played by Millie Gibson, as she makes her debut as the Doctor’s companion.

The Church on Ruby Road lands on Christmas Day 2023 on BBC One in the UK and Ireland, on BBCiPlayer in the UK and on Disney Plus for the rest of world.

The episode sees the Doctor come face-to-face with the mythical and mysterious goblins as his life collides with Ruby Sunday, played by Millie Gibson.

Little is known about Ruby Sunday as she was abandoned on Christmas Eve as a baby. Now living with her mum, Carla and grandmother, Cherry her world is about to be turned upside when she encounters the Doctor and the two set off on their first adventure together...

Alongside Ncuti Gatwa and Millie Gibson is Davina McCall who will be playing herself as she joins the cast alongside Michelle Greenidge as Ruby’s mum Carla, Angela Wynter as Ruby’s grandmother Cherry and Anita Dobson as Mrs Flood.

Davina said:

“It is beyond an honour to be asked to appear in not only Doctor Who but also Ncuti’s first episode as the new Doctor. It was such an extraordinary experience and Russell has written you all a Christmas delight! Now I just can’t wait for everyone to see it!”

Russell T Davies, Showrunner adds:

“From Day One in this job, I wanted Doctor Who back on Christmas Day! And with Ncuti, Millie, Davina and the Goblin King, I hope it’s a feast for all the family!”
Old 12-11-23, 05:59 PM

re: Doctor Who - Season 1 Thread - S: Ncuti Gatwa

Old 12-12-23, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 426 Likes on 301 Posts
re: Doctor Who - Season 1 Thread - S: Ncuti Gatwa

I really enjoyed the David Tennant specials. I found the over-the-top performance of Ncuti on Sex Ed very off-putting to the point of caricature but he seemed decent as the new doctor. The goblin song does nothing for me so I guess I will watch when I have a moment and go from there.
Old 12-25-23, 01:39 PM

Re: Doctor Who - Season 1 Thread - S: Ncuti Gatwa

The Christmas special is out.

I guess the "Season One" thing is official now. A soft reboot.

Old 12-25-23, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,984 Likes on 2,035 Posts

Doctor mentioned that he was adopted. Kind of poignant, but Davies is still leaning into that Timeless Child stuff from Chibnall.

I'm guessing that Ruby will end up being the mysterious woman who left the baby at the church. Will she end up being her own mother?

And Mrs. Flood? Someone we've seen before? Or is she an old Ruby?
Old 12-26-23, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 120 Likes on 86 Posts

Ugh. What is even happening with this show? Doctor Who: The Musical? Painful. Christmas specials used to be a home run.
Old 12-26-23, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 205 Likes on 153 Posts

I didn't dislike the new Doctor or the new companion but like the previous episode it feels rushed. It seems they got all this extra money and are using it on visuals at the expense of the story.
Old 12-26-23, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

This was maybe one of the worst Dr Who episodes I’ve ever seen. I’m not feeling the new Doctor at all and the Goblin song????

Ruby is a home run though. If they can get the stories in order she will be a great companion.
Old 12-28-23, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I thought it was fine. Enjoyed the new Doctor and Ruby.

I think it shows you can easily do a Xmas special any time. Aside from Ruby being left on Xmas eve (which had no plot significance) and the episode taking place on the same time, it just revolved around Christmas but was it’s own story.

The jibe at the Pond plot is sort of valid, but that was Moffat not Davies. He always does a good job of weaving in small plot references that can either build or be throwaways, but help give layers. Examples like the for the Toy Maker wouldn’t face or in this instance the language of knots.
Old 12-31-23, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

Also, I picked up that Donna’s screen up with Newton is carrying through as this Doctor also mentioned mavity vs gravity gloves.
Old 01-02-24, 10:29 PM

Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

Why do I hate this show now? I only bothered tuning in because Russell Davies did a decent job when Dr. Who originally came back, nu-Who, or whatever it's called. But this just felt derivative. Just like the past 5 years of Dr. Who shows.

There isn't much we haven't already seen. They have really run this into the ground. I think they should have just put it to bed for at least 5 years and spent some time writing decent scripts. Nobody was beating down the door saying we need a 'woke' female Dr. Who or a black Dr. Who but here we are.

I suppose I'll end up hate-watching this just to see if Russell Davies ends up pulling something amazing but I doubt it.
Old 01-20-24, 01:10 AM

Received 126 Likes on 79 Posts

British tabloid The Mirror is reporting on cast shakeups for next season. I'll spoilerize it in case it turns out to be true:

Spoiler:
Doctor Who companion Millie Gibson is being dropped from the BBC sci-fi show and will be replaced for Ncuti Gatwa's second series by actress Varada Seethu.

The decision by showrunner Russell T Davies to write out the former Coronation Street star, who plays orphan Ruby Sunday, was made last year after filming on her first run ended. The shock twist will come as a surprise to fans who only watched her on-screen debut in the festive episode last month.

Now Millie, 19, will not appear in the 2024 Christmas special later this year and will make only a handful of appearances across Ncuti’s second series as the Doctor during 2025. The eight episodes she has filmed already will air from May, the BBC has announced.

After that, it will not be Millie flanking him on his time-travels in the Tardis but new companion Varada, who has already started filming at the studios in Cardiff.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...-revealed.html
Old 01-20-24, 04:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Ouch.

Sounds like there's some kind of turmoil behind-the-scenes. Though backstage turbulence doesn't always show up on-screen -- they shifted effortlessly between Christopher Eccleston and David Tennant between series one and two -- it's always a concern.

It's too bad if true... I thought those two had a really great chemistry.
Old 01-20-24, 12:39 PM

Variety has confirmed the story: https://variety.com/2024/tv/global/d...hu-1235880343/
Old 01-20-24, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 259 Likes on 155 Posts

"Being dropped" is a loaded phrase. It might be that there were issues, but more than likely RTD is just doing what he did the first time, where he liked switching companions every season.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (01-20-24)
Old 01-21-24, 02:13 AM

Received 126 Likes on 79 Posts

Could be, but I recall Davies had to convince Billie Piper to stay for one more year after Eccleston quit. Fan reception was mixed on Martha Jones (especially from the Doctor/Rose shippers), which might be why he decided to move away from her in favor of a more platonic companion with Donna.
Old 03-15-24, 09:12 AM

Watch Doctor Who from the 11th May on BBC iPlayer in the UK and stream on Disney+ where available.
Old 03-22-24, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 832 Likes on 599 Posts

Old 05-06-24, 08:12 AM

The new season starts this week.

Also, it turns out that Millie Gibson is not leaving... but a second companion is being added for Season 2.

Varada Sethu will be joining Doctor Who, playing Ncuti Gatwa's companion in his second series as the Doctor.

The actress who recently appeared in the Disney+ Star Wars series Andor said it's an "honour" to appear in the show.

Ncuti Gatwa's first series as the Doctor will begin in May, with Coronation Street actress Millie Gibson playing companion Ruby Sunday.

The BBC says that Sethu will join the pair in the following series which will be broadcast in 2025.

As well as Andor, the actress has been seen in the 2018 crime drama Hard Sun, and Jurassic World Dominion.

Sethu said it was an "honour to be a part of the Whoniverse" and she felt "like the luckiest person in the world".

"I couldn't ask for a better team than Ncuti and Millie to be on this adventure with."
Companion speculation

Earlier this year there had been speculation that Sethu would be replacing Gibson in the long-running time travel drama.

Gatwa and Gibson were first seen together in the show's Christmas Special, The Church on Ruby Road, where viewers learnt that Sunday was adopted, with the identity of her birth parents a mystery.

No details have been given for Sethu's character, but the BBC has released pictures of her alongside Gatwa and Gibson at a table read for a forthcoming episode.

Doctor Who showrunner Russell T Davies said he "first worked with Varada on a BBC production of A Midsummer Night's Dream, and it's a joy to welcome her on board the TARDIS.

"Right now in the studio, shooting for 2025, we've got Ncuti, Millie and Varada fighting side by side - we need all three, because the stakes are higher than ever!"

When the show returns on 11 May, for the first time it will premiere on BBC iPlayer at midnight, before being broadcast on BBC One later that day.
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-68802766
Old 05-06-24, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dex14
The new season starts this week.

Also, it turns out that Millie Gibson is not leaving... but a second companion is being added for Season 2.
Something seems kind of fishy here.

Both The Mirror and Variety reported that she was leaving, and the producers would neither confirm nor deny the story, but they're still bringing on another companion. Makes me think she was either fired/rehired, quite and came back, or was holding out for more money.
Old 05-10-24, 08:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The first two episode dropped today on Disney+ Canada, which is surprising as even the UK doesn't get it until the 11th. I won't make any comments yet, in case no one else on here has seen it yet.
Old 05-10-24, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 86 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Cecile
The first two episode dropped today on Disney+ Canada, which is surprising as even the UK doesn't get it until the 11th. I won't make any comments yet, in case no one else on here has seen it yet.
Is the 4th special listed as Episode 1 for D+ Canada? Because in the US, it is. I got confused why the first episode felt like a retread or recap of the last special.
Old 05-10-24, 09:12 PM

^ Yeah instead of zero the Christmas special is episode one.

The first episode (2nd listed): Meh. Will try the second in the morning.
Old 05-11-24, 08:22 PM

The second of those released was better. They are world building.
Old 05-11-24, 11:12 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
Is the 4th special listed as Episode 1 for D+ Canada? Because in the US, it is. I got confused why the first episode felt like a retread or recap of the last special.
Yes, for some reason they are calling it episode one; in the UK the Christmas specials are always separate from the seasons/series.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.