DVD Talk Legend

Received 662 Likes on 459 Posts
Re: Doctor Who - Season 1 Thread - S: Ncuti Gatwa

BTW, I found that Paul Cornell posted a Shalka pic, and RTD replied "canon!"

Old 06-10-24, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

I thought the romance between The Doctor and Rouge was rushed. I also thought The Doctor calling Ruby his best friend even though the only instance of that happened at the end of this episode seemed rushed as well. Other than that I though this was another really good episode. I'm liking this season and Doctor/Companion way more than I thought I would.
Old 06-10-24, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
I thought the romance between The Doctor and Rouge was rushed. I also thought The Doctor calling Ruby his best friend even though the only instance of that happened at the end of this episode seemed rushed as well. Other than that I though this was another really good episode. I'm liking this season and Doctor/Companion way more than I thought I would.
So, there's not a lot of examples of Doctor romances, but another one, The Girl in the Fireplace, was similarly rushed through in one episode, although at least in that case, one side of the relationship had years to romanticize their relationship. I think

For Ruby, there was a mention in the 2nd episode that they've been traveling for at least 6 months, and I honestly think The Doctor likely considers each companion their best friend for the period they're travelling together.

One interesting technical note, is at the end when Ruby suggests travelling to the other dimension to rescue Rogue, The Doctor says that there's too many to check, not that they're locked off and can't be travelled to, which was the reason given for why The Doctor couldn't rescue Rose.
Old 06-14-24, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Iím behind and just finished Dot. Definitely had shades of the old series 1 episode with The Weakest Link reference and everybody hooked up watching reality tv.

A shame about Ricky - would have been fun to see him stick around.

Also the blonde turned super shady after being ditzy. Iím surprised the Doctor didnít pick up on it. I definitely got the vibe she could be back. Almost Masteresque.
Old 06-15-24, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Iím behind and just finished Dot. Definitely had shades of the old series 1 episode with The Weakest Link reference and everybody hooked up watching reality tv.

A shame about Ricky - would have been fun to see him stick around.

Also the blonde turned super shady after being ditzy. Iím surprised the Doctor didnít pick up on it. I definitely got the vibe she could be back. Almost Masteresque.
I didn't really get a "recurring villain" vibe from Lindy, mostly because she's so dumb. Also, by the end of the episode, she's revealed to not be that special and is typical for the humans on her planet: rich, entitled self-centered bigots. Ricky was possibly the exception, since he mentions turning the bubble off for most of the day and doing things like reading and real-life exploring.

It's interesting because as the main character she's ostensibly the protagonist of this particular episode, and you do want to empathize with her, and then the show provides signs that she may be growing as a character, but those two great rug pulls at the end make it blatantly clear that she's not a nice character at all, and never was. And while the shift can seem sudden, there's hints the whole way through when you reflect on them, like how she was so quickly dismissive of The Doctor, but then listened to Ruby. Like, at first you think it's because Ruby came at her from a different angle and appealed to vanity with comments on clothes and such, but by the end of the episode you realize there's a second reason she ignored The Doctor at first. Even subtle things like her not immediately recognizing The Doctor the second time around as being the same person hits different after the ending.

The great tragedy of the episode isn't that Lindy turns out to be some evil mastermind, but that's she's all too human, with our tendencies to get trapped in our bubbles and act with indifferent cruelty to people different than us.
Old 06-15-24, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,289 Likes on 884 Posts

I . . . uh . . . have never watched a single episode of Dr. Who and don't know anything about it . . . Is it possible to jump in here?
Old 06-16-24, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 134 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I . . . uh . . . have never watched a single episode of Dr. Who and don't know anything about it . . . Is it possible to jump in here?
Sure. Iíd start at the beginning of this series. Itís a new Dr. and a fresh reboot so they worked in all the exposition and back story you really need to know.
Old 06-16-24, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superman07
Sure. I’d start at the beginning of this series. It’s a new Dr. and a fresh reboot so they worked in all the exposition and back story you really need to know.
To be clear, if you're going to watch on Disney+, it's labeled as "Season 1" (the British call each season a series), and you want to start on what it has listed as episode one: "The Church on Ruby Road."

You can skip what Disney+ lists as Specials 1-4, as specials 1-3 rely on more backstory, and Special 4 is the same "The Church on Ruby Road" episode Disney+ includes as Season 1 Episode 1.

Technically "The Church on Ruby Road" is the Christmas Special from last year and not part of the new season, but it's the start of the soft reboot featuring a new cast and a good jumping-in point, so it's good Disney+ includes it as the first episode. However, if you go looking up info, the episode numbering may differ, as a lot of media outlets and online references use different numbering of the episodes, with "Space Babies" often referred to as the first episode of this season, and each subsequent episode labeled accordingly.
Old 06-16-24, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,896 Likes on 1,979 Posts

Fair warning, though, if you've never watched Doctor Who and "Space Babies" is your first or second episode, you'll probably want to stop right there.
Old 06-21-24, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The season finale is premiering tonight, and nobody's talked about last week's episode yet.

I found "The Legend of Ruby Sunday" to be compelling, but it's largely all just buildup to the reveal/cliffhanger. I found the Time Window sequence to be the best, it was very eerie. We'll see how the episode tonight resolves all the threads.
Old 06-21-24, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 169 Likes on 130 Posts

As far as jumping in at "The Church on Ruby Road" I think that's going to be difficult. It's not a hard reboot like Eccleston's first season. This season in relying on a lot of the 60 year history of the show.
Old 06-21-24, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Timber
As far as jumping in at "The Church on Ruby Road" I think that's going to be difficult. It's not a hard reboot like Eccleston's first season. This season in relying on a lot of the 60 year history of the show.
Wait, you don't think Eccleston's season was relying on the history of the show? The sixth episode was literally called "Dalek."

The big thing that allows "jumping in" isn't the show not referencing previous events/characters, but doing so in a way that brings new viewers along for the ride by bringing them up to speed. Typically, a new companion works as a good jumping-in point, as the new companion acts as an audience surrogate for The Doctor/the show to explain things to, as the new companion is as in the dark as the new audience is. Like, right in the last episode, there was an explanation to Ruby that Time Lords sometimes change appearance, something both she and new viewers haven't seen yet.

I started watching the show with the 2005 "reboot," and I've been made well aware over the years that there's TONs of backstory the show references that happened before that. The show has never really shied away from its past, but there are clear points where the show has made efforts to be more welcoming to new viewers. There's a reason this season is called "Season One," and it's not just because it's the first full season on Disney+.