TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last of Us (S1E02) -- "Infected" -- 1/22/23

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-23, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts
Re: The Last of Us (S1E02) -- "Infected" -- 1/22/23

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
It did kind of bug me that he made a point of the clickers being unable to see, but then expended a bunch of effort to crawl around on the floor behind objects in order to…hide from them? Can I assume that was merely for dramatic effect?
If I was in that situation, I’d definitely want something as between me and the clickers as possible. It’s a bit safer of a position, as it gives them something to bump into that isn’t me.
Old 01-23-23, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
If I was in that situation, I’d definitely want something as between me and the clickers as possible. It’s a bit safer of a position, as it gives them something to bump into that isn’t me.
Yeah, you'd want to make yourself as small and inaccessible as possible.
Old 01-24-23, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

In the after show podcast, the creators spoke about an interesting backstory they had for Tess that was never, eventually, filmed:

She had a husband and a young son that were both infected during the early days of the outbreak. She killed her husband but couldn't bring herself to kill her son. She locked him in a basement and, while he was pounding on the door to be let out, she just walked away leaving him. The creators state that they believe he is still there, trapped in the basement, but now a full Clicker.
Old 01-24-23, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,209 Likes on 2,071 Posts

Great episode! It not a lot happened but the slow walk through the dilapidated buildings was tense enough to keep me on the edge of myself the whole show, particularly the museum.

So far it’s not a lot different than most post-apocalyptic zombie movies but I think they’ve done a great job with the organic, fungi look to the environment and the Clickers. One original idea, that disturbing the fungi on the ground will trigger the hoard of zombies, is a pretty interesting idea. They did a great job showing all the zombies being connected.
Old 01-24-23, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm trying to think if, even once, in either game they call them "zombies" as we are here. I don't remember. I think they are just the "infected". Or "Clickers" and other names not brought up yet in the show.
Old 01-24-23, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Echolocation?
I always thought this was the case ... it explains the sound they make and why the fungus grows on their heads the way it does.

Joel said they can't see but they can hear. Joel also isn't the most educated man. Not saying he is dumb, but in the game and in snippets we have seen in the show Ellie often teaches him wrote facts from school or books. Joel isn't necessarily correct.
The following users liked this post:
Dan (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
In the after show podcast, the creators spoke about an interesting backstory they had for Tess that was never, eventually, filmed:

She had a husband and a young son that were both infected during the early days of the outbreak. She killed her husband but couldn't bring herself to kill her son. She locked him in a basement and, while he was pounding on the door to be let out, she just walked away leaving him. The creators state that they believe he is still there, trapped in the basement, but now a full Clicker.
I wish they had used this as a flashback. Damn.

I felt the first episode was too close to the game, but these adaptations often are so they can get that out of the way. I am loving the direction that we are starting to move in with episode 2. Still retaining familiar elements (even if it is through a casual joke that non-gamers won't get) but definitely building a new world of its own.

LOVED this episode other than I felt

Spoiler:
Tess being bit was too telegraphed. Even if I hadn't played the game, that was way too obvious. I did love the clicker sensing she was infected but wasn't part of the ... hive? ... and "connecting" her. That was creepy as hell.

Now I get the comment made in the first season thread about the selective use of the term "bread crumbs." Even the keto diet joke has a new meaning now.
Old 01-24-23, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RichC2
Echolocation?
During the walk through the city, Ellie mentions hearing about infected that catch you sort of like bats. Something to that effect. In the after show podcast, the creators talk how the Clickers were left pretty as is in the game but when one of the HBO people didn't understand how they could "see", the line about the bats was added.
Abob Teff (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Home with a sick kid today, so I have episode 1 replaying ... starting to uncover some of the foreshadowing and "bread crumbs" after episode 2 made some connections. Since this is the episode 2 thread, I won't spoiler tag these.

"Civil unrest in Jakarta" was on the radio at breakfast, leading to a conversation about where it is.

No pancake mix ... no flour!

In class, the teacher says "I see several of you shaking your heads." Uhh ... and then the student "tinkerbelling" Sarah in class ... I thought he was just a fidgety kid.

Joel forgets to pick up the cake ... no flour!

Old 01-24-23, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
Snotty sarcastic kids irritate me

Everything is fine outside of Ellie's personality
Yeah I don't like the kid. And the actress gets on my nerves.
bchbdaddy (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 435 Posts

Ellie is a stereotypical annoying kid.
Hope that gets better.

The clickers made me think they were like giant chickens. The sound was a mix of clicking and clicking plus they looked like a chicken a little bit.
Old 01-24-23, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Well, I was just listening to an NPR story about meat-substitutes, particularly for chicken nuggets, and fungal mycelium were cited as one of the best substitutes.

One thing that has bugged me since playing the game ... we don't actually know that Ellie is the only person immune. Not everybody had been exposed (spores in the game or bitten in the TV world) ... just saying.

Two things I want to see which we probably never will ... more about the downfall of the world (it happened in roughly 3 days) and a spinoff about the Fireflies and FEDRA.
Old 01-24-23, 01:33 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Home with a sick kid today, so I have episode 1 replaying ... starting to uncover some of the foreshadowing and "bread crumbs" after episode 2 made some connections. Since this is the episode 2 thread, I won't spoiler tag these.

"Civil unrest in Jakarta" was on the radio at breakfast, leading to a conversation about where it is.

No pancake mix ... no flour!

In class, the teacher says "I see several of you shaking your heads." Uhh ... and then the student "tinkerbelling" Sarah in class ... I thought he was just a fidgety kid.

Joel forgets to pick up the cake ... no flour!
On the two highlighted above..

I read elsewhere that Indonesia is a large exporter of flour, but a quick google search does not confirm that. Not sure why they picked Jakarta specifically for this story...

The fidgety kid was wearing a medical bracelet. May have been at the hospital in the last few days, just like the neighbor.

There was also Sarah not actually eating the cookies. I don't blame her... fuckin' raisins.
Old 01-24-23, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, I was just listening to an NPR story about meat-substitutes, particularly for chicken nuggets, and fungal mycelium were cited as one of the best substitutes.

One thing that has bugged me since playing the game ... we don't actually know that Ellie is the only person immune. Not everybody had been exposed (spores in the game or bitten in the TV world) ... just saying.

Two things I want to see which we probably never will ... more about the downfall of the world (it happened in roughly 3 days) and a spinoff about the Fireflies and FEDRA.
Yeah, I'd be down for a prequel game.
Old 01-24-23, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
On the two highlighted above..

I read elsewhere that Indonesia is a large exporter of flour, but a quick google search does not confirm that. Not sure why they picked Jakarta specifically for this story...

Gotta be honest, though I loved this part of ep 2, I did cringe a lil bit. Placing ground zero of global catastrophe in an Asian Nation would seem like it would to bring some criticism...
Old 01-24-23, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Yall need to listen to the official Show Podcast. I think some of these stuff being asked here is addressed on it.
ViewAskewbian (01-24-23)
Old 01-24-23, 05:40 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Gotta be honest, though I loved this part of ep 2, I did cringe a lil bit. Placing ground zero of global catastrophe in an Asian Nation would seem like it would to bring some criticism...
Oh, I have no doubt, given enough time, there will be thinkpieces aplenty covering this topic.

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yall need to listen to the official Show Podcast. I think some of these stuff being asked here is addressed on it.
Meh. Podcasts are lame.
Actually, I like the 3 minute post-episode featurettes that give some insight but don't overstay their welcome. I'll probably listen to the podcast after the season is done.
Old 01-24-23, 06:59 PM

I skipped the official one but listen to The Ringer network's podcast which is part of their Prestige TV Podcast series. It's pretty fun and informative. And much like the do with Game of Thrones and some Star Wars titles, they also have a "Deep Dive" podcast that goes a couple of hours long per episode (not that I would listen to that one).
Old 01-24-23, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dan
There was also Sarah not actually eating the cookies. I don't blame her... fuckin' raisins.
I started to add that, but we don't know for sure. I assume she didn't. The neighbor says, "You're going to take some cookies with you." However we never even see the cookies. I think it actually would have been more interesting if she had eaten some of the cookies.
Old 01-24-23, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decker
I skipped the official one but listen to The Ringer network's podcast which is part of their Prestige TV Podcast series. It's pretty fun and informative. And much like the do with Game of Thrones and some Star Wars titles, they also have a "Deep Dive" podcast that goes a couple of hours long per episode (not that I would listen to that one).
I was going to ask if anybody had any recommendations beyond the HBO official podcast. Decker, I can't find that one on Overcast ...
Old 01-24-23, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

I hate to get all game-nerdy, but it was pretty cool to see the long shots of the plant-dominated city. Also some of the scenarios like walking from roof to roof on planks.
Old 01-24-23, 09:47 PM

I was going to ask if anybody had any recommendations beyond the HBO official podcast. Decker, I can't find that one on Overcast ...
It's exclusive to Spotify. Works with free Spotify though I believe.

Old 01-24-23, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 117 Likes on 79 Posts

I always enjoy the Nerd Soup podcasts for shows I watch.
Old 01-25-23, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 233 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
I read elsewhere that Indonesia is a large exporter of flour, but a quick google search does not confirm that. Not sure why they picked Jakarta specifically for this story....
The largest flour mill in the world is in Jakarta. Likely the one they were referencing in the open to episode 2.
Why So Blu? (01-25-23)
Old 01-25-23, 02:35 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dstrauss
The largest flour mill in the world is in Jakarta. Likely the one they were referencing in the open to episode 2.
Yeah, that's what it was. Thanks.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.