Reload this Page >

The Last of Us (S1E02) -- "Infected" -- 1/22/23

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Last of Us (S1E02) -- "Infected" -- 1/22/23

Old 01-25-23, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts
Re: The Last of Us (S1E02) -- "Infected" -- 1/22/23

Did I miss somewhere in the episode that said the fungus was spread by people ingesting cooked flour? Because itís one thing for it to evolve to survive in organisms that run several degrees warmer. Itís something else entirely for it to evolve to survive environments that are several hundred degrees warmer.
Old 01-25-23, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,686 Likes on 1,061 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Did I miss somewhere in the episode that said the fungus was spread by people ingesting cooked flour? Because it’s one thing for it to evolve to survive in organisms that run several degrees warmer. It’s something else entirely for it to evolve to survive environments that are several hundred degrees warmer.

It was Ground Zero in a Flour/Grain Facility in Jakarta right? Not even sure they ate anything there to get infected but I'm sure breathing the spores in the flour could be it...And the fact that it mutated to a point of being able to survive higher temps in humans is the main reason why it's taking over right?
Old 01-25-23, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 202 Likes on 122 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
It was Ground Zero in a Flour/Grain Facility in Jakarta right? Not even sure they ate anything there to get infected but I'm sure breathing the spores in the flour could be it...And the fact that it mutated to a point of being able to survive higher temps in humans is the main reason why it's taking over right?
Yep, I thought those were the details they presented, but it sounded like some people were thinking the pandemic spread by people eating foods cooked with exported flour and I donít think that would make much sense in the showís world. Or maybe people were joking and I just have a broken sarcasm detector.
Old 01-27-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,351 Likes on 916 Posts

In a surprise to nobody, renewed for S2.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/the-las...bo-1235242464/

Last edited by Deftones; 01-27-23 at 01:04 PM.
Old 01-27-23, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,196 Likes on 820 Posts

Originally Posted by maxfisher
Yep, I thought those were the details they presented, but it sounded like some people were thinking the pandemic spread by people eating foods cooked with exported flour and I don’t think that would make much sense in the show’s world. Or maybe people were joking and I just have a broken sarcasm detector.
No, that is my theory. I don't see how it could have spread from a localized event in Jakarta to taking down rural Texas in just two days if the only way to spread it is a direct bite. It had to have been a much more widespread delivery mechanism and the show runners have said "no spores." (Or there is the M. Night Shyamalan theory that plants -- er, fungus -- just finally said "f--- you.")

The Indonesian mycologist stated the flour was the perfect substrate (surface to feed on) for the fungus.

While you do bake cookies, cakes, pancakes, and breads ... you are making them with the raw flour which you are touching and possibly breathing in or ingesting. However, grandma in the wheel chair probably wasn't doing any baking, so that does shoot a hole in my theory and take us back to having to eat a cooked product (the biscuits in grandma's case).

Or it might just be lupus.

Last edited by Abob Teff; 01-27-23 at 11:56 PM.