Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) - Season 5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-23, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 5 Thread

That's a pretty small detail to nitpick all right, but yeah, as a former waterbed owner, I can say you're dead on balls accurate; those things leave a hell of an impression on a carpet
Old 03-08-23, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Louise is no longer touring, so where was she tonight? Why did Darlene host Mark's music teacher at her father's house? She's got a new house of her own. Why wouldn't she have the teacher come there?
Old 03-08-23, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Louise is no longer touring, so where was she tonight? Why did Darlene host Mark's music teacher at her father's house? She's got a new house of her own. Why wouldn't she have the teacher come there?
That didn't even occur to me. Why wouldn't that dinner be at Darlene's house? It's much nicer than Dan's. I mean, if she was really interested in impressing Mark's teacher. Regarding Louise going MIA again, this show has way too many characters. There's just not enough time for all of them in 30 minutes each week. Neville and Mary show up now and then. Ben's not on every episode. I'm o.k. with Beverly Rose never showing up again. And I guess we've seen the last of Robin. She was the most interesting and entertaining of the supporting characters. I say bring D.J. back. Same with Crystal, Chuck and Ann-Marie. I'd rather see older characters than most of the new ones. I mean, how funny would it be if Nancy worked at the Lunch Box again with Jackie? Maybe Leon making a guest appearance.
Old 03-15-23, 07:46 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I want to know the highway in Illinois that Dan and Jackie took through snow covered woods

Last edited by MrX; 03-15-23 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-15-23, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The number of Post-It Notes we were supposed to believe Darlene put up was ridiculous. I can't believe how infrequently Louise is in the show, especially now that she's done touring. Why did the writers bother giving Dan a wife?
Old 03-16-23, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The number of Post-It Notes we were supposed to believe Darlene put up was ridiculous. I can't believe how infrequently Louise is in the show, especially now that she's done touring. Why did the writers bother giving Dan a wife?
Re: the Post-it Notes. Also stupid and not funny. And yes, why have Dan get married if we never see the wife. This is an odd show.
Old 03-16-23, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Re: the Post-it Notes. Also stupid and not funny. And yes, why have Dan get married if we never see the wife. This is an odd show.
I bailed on the show last season, but catch pieces of it while flipping channels and I know that Jackie also got married - and IMDB tells me he's not in many episodes either.

I have to say, it was refreshing to see some of the characters finally live in a house that's actually aesthetically pleasing and modern.
Old 04-05-23, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

Decent episode, but then at the end Louise says she has an iPhone 4 and holds up something that is the size of an iPhone 14 Plus.
Old 04-06-23, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I laughed out loud when Louise said her phone was vibrating so much from the family group text that people think she's either a doctor or drug dealer. And Jackie's response that no one thinks she's a doctor. Now that's great writing.
Old 04-07-23, 08:10 PM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

yeah, this episode about the what family members really think about each other being exposed during texting mistakes ran very true.

this is something that actually happens to people and I applaud the writers for finally making the Conners relatable without resulting to their usual cheap shot insults jokes at each other. Poor or not, I would never make those kind of horrible jokes to my siblings to theirs faces, but talking about them behind their backs among other family members is something everyone I know does....

great ep.

you can't blame poor Ben for losing the ability to make love to Darlene. Its hard to believe he was ever able to find anything attractive about her both physically and personality wise.
Old 04-07-23, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The last thing I wanted from this show was an episode centered around Darlene and Ben's sex life.
Old 04-26-23, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So Dan gets arrested for DUI without a field sobriety test or a breathalyzer? Hopefully, they did a blood test. Doubt he would have been over the legal limit though. All he had was a Long Island Iced Tea and then he didn't drink below the neck of his beer.
Old 05-03-23, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Pretty great season finale. And some of the show's best writing to date. I laughed out loud 2-3 times. So, the party they gave for Mark at the lunch box was for just them? Where were Mark's friends or Bev, Mary, amd Neville? Or other lifelong family friends like Chuck, Ann-Marie, and Crystal. Seems kind of stupid they would go through all that trouble "planning" and decorating just 6 people. Could have had that in their living room. Bummer Johnny Galecki didn't make a cameo. Would have been nice. Thankful we were spared Beverly Rose this week. Hopefully next season will jump a few years and she'll be 10. With a new actress. I'm sure most have seen this by now, but if not

https://deadline.com/2023/05/the-con...st-1235352844/
Old 05-03-23, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 949 Likes on 723 Posts

Was flakiness really David's personality trait? I remember him as having no ambition and just following Darlene around like a puppy.
Old 05-04-23, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
Was flakiness really David's personality trait? I remember him as having no ambition and just following Darlene around like a puppy.
No. But then again, this show has been extremely lax and lazy with continuity.
Old 05-04-23, 06:04 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

The producers said they asked Galecki about making an appearance, but he turned it down. I thought it worked out just fine without him.

They went on to explain that they did indeed reach out to see if the former Big Bang Theory star was available, but it doesn't sound like acting is something he's interested in jumping back into anytime soon.
https://www.cinemablend.com/interviews/the-conners-eps-talk-dealing-with-davids-story-in-season-finale-why-johnny-galeckis-absence-worked-for-mark-and-ben
​​​​​​​
Old 05-04-23, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,742 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Not that I recall. He mostly just got browbeaten by Darlene, Dan, and his brother.

I wouldn't be surprised if he flaked after taking too much shit from everyone around him.
Old 05-05-23, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does DJ care about his daughter anymore? His absence this season sure made it seem like he doesn't. Why didn't the writers just have him and his wife and daughter move to another state to explain his absence? Maybe he's lost on the same boat as his brother, Jerry.
Old 05-05-23, 07:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

When was DJ's daughter last in an episode? I'm not even sure if she was in this last episode. I think they need to keep her around for "diversity" reasons.
Old 05-06-23, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

First The Rookie, now The Conners: both shows this week wrote Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 into their scripts. Coincidence or mandate from the House of Mouse?
Old 05-06-23, 09:30 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

First The Rookie, now The Conners: both shows this week wrote Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 into their scripts. Coincidence or mandate from the House of Mouse?
Mandate, given the movie comes out this week.
Old 05-16-23, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like a Season 6 coming:

https://deadline.com/2023/05/the-con...bc-1235362479/
Old 05-21-23, 09:05 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by mickey65
I guess this isn't surprising. Last 5 episodes shows a noticeable improvement in storylines as well as writing. Since ABC has nothing else getting the rating this does its a no brainer.
Knowing the cast has renew contract every year is the only unknown here. Half of them are already multi millionaires so they dont need the job. I assume they keep coming back because they enjoy the team and everyone there they work with.

Let's hope next year we get back to Becky more and less Darlene. They can still get Becky to graduate, get a nursing job and finally meet someone decent. I thought that's where things were going with Sean Astin.
Old 05-22-23, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
I thought that's where things were going with Sean Astin.
They still are, no?