Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Conners (ABC) - Season 5 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts
Re: The Conners (ABC) - Season 5 Thread

Forgot to mention, I did get a genuine laugh when Jackie was consoling her husband on his brother's death, then shows that she drew pocket aces.
Old 10-13-22, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff
Forgot to mention, I did get a genuine laugh when Jackie was consoling her husband on his brother's death, then shows that she drew pocket aces.
That was hilarious. And I loved all the exchanges between Darlene and Becky. Especially when Mary told them to be nice when they meet her new boyfriend. They both looked at each other and chuckled saying "yeah". I watched that scene a few times. Very early "Roseanne". Great stuff.
Old 10-15-22, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Does Goodman have a speech impediment? Not that it matters. Sometimes it sounds like he has fake teeth in his mouth similar to when people play vampire roles. I never heard it on the original Roseanne, but I've heard it off and on during the reboot and this show. I don't think it's realistic that DJ would leave his teenage daughter for a month even if it's to visit his wife in Germany. I liked that Jackie was less wacky in this episode.
Old 10-16-22, 10:59 AM

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
.....I liked that Jackie was less wacky in this episode.
We ALL like it when Jackie is less wacky but the stupid people producing this show think that we want to see a wonderful character actress who does amazing work on Broadway waste her time as a cartoon character.

At least they are letting her character be in what appears to be her most successful relationship to date and seem genuinely happy for once.

Would love to see what Laurie Metcalf and Lucy Gorenson could do on this show if they did some deeper less sitcom storylines...maybe once John Goodman or Estelle Parsons dies they will have to kill their characters off and we will see Jackie and Becky spiral downward...
Old 10-16-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

A good ending to the show would be Dan dies after finally paying off the 40+ year mortgage on the house. Louise inherits the house and kicks everyone out. Maybe she could then sell it for a good amount.
Old 10-17-22, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
A good ending to the show would be Dan dies...
Again?
The following users liked this post:
Paff (10-17-22)
Old 10-17-22, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
A good ending to the show would be Dan dies after finally paying off the 40+ year mortgage on the house. Louise inherits the house and kicks everyone out. Maybe she could then sell it for a good amount.
And then we find out that it's all a novel Darlene has been writing!

Old 10-20-22, 01:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tonight's show was pretty good except for Beverly Rose.I'm curious how many takes they got her to do her lines in front of live studio audience. Please please give that child zero time moving forward. I know she's 4 or 5 years old, but she is terrible. One of the worst child actresses I've ever seen. By comparison, look how great the child actors are on "Abbott Elementary".
Old 10-20-22, 09:28 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Tonight's show was pretty good except for Beverly Rose.I'm curious how many takes they got her to do her lines in front of live studio audience. Please please give that child zero time moving forward. I know she's 4 or 5 years old, but she is terrible. One of the worst child actresses I've ever seen. By comparison, look how great the child actors are on "Abbott Elementary".
They just quietly advanced her age by 3-4 years, right?
Old 10-20-22, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Gizmo
They just quietly advanced her age by 3-4 years, right?
Yep. I knew when I read what this week's episode was about she would have a lot of screen time. Jackie also went back to full clown mode this week. That was torture. BTW, they didn't make an announcement that it filmed before a live studio. Was that a laugh track? Because there was a lot of over the top audience response.
Old 10-20-22, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like they left out the time Jackie went full ganja in the bath-tub when she smoked that old weed Roseanne found...Jackie mentioned how she only smoked it in high school during last night's episode...
Old 10-20-22, 07:22 PM
Suspended

Yep. I knew when I read what this week's episode was about she would have a lot of screen time. Jackie also went back to full clown mode this week. That was torture. BTW, they didn't make an announcement that it filmed before a live studio. Was that a laugh track? Because there was a lot of over the top audience response.
The little girl is terrible. ABC has a really good track record with kids on their shows, few duds to speak about, but she sounds like she's reading from cards.

Agreed again on the laugh track. I wonder if some scenes were not shot in front of an audience and they felt the need to insert. It was over the top last night.
Old 10-23-22, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Why didn't Becky tell the teacher to simply stop calling on Beverly Rose every time she raised her hand rather than sitting her in a corner and telling her to keep quiet? Or tell the teacher to call on a specific kid even if that kid didn't raise their hand? Why didn't Becky threaten to go to the principal over the teacher's treatment of her daughter?
Old 10-27-22, 03:06 PM

I tend to roll my eyes now whenever Jackie mentions something "abusive" her mom did to her. I just find it odd how not much of it was ever mentioned on the Roseanne show over the years. There was debate about their father being abusive to them as well.
Old 10-27-22, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think that Bev was always said to have been, if not physically abusive, emotionally abusive and manipulative on the old Roseanne show.

I don't think she ever came off worse than Roseanne herself, though she didn't have the benefit of a laugh track when Roseanne and Jackie were kids.
Old 11-03-22, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seriously. Please get rid of Beverly Rose. She's excruciating.
Old 11-03-22, 03:08 PM

Last night was a pretty solid episode. Liked the exchange between Jackie and Louise.
Old 11-03-22, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I liked it when Darlene's co-worker told her something like "I never imagined someday you'd be important."
Old 11-17-22, 03:09 PM

Sad to see what they did to Beverly's character with her having dementia now. Altho that last parting bit with her great grandkids was pretty good!
Old 11-17-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I know it's a sitcom, but Darlene just needed to be honest in her job interviews. When she was interviewing with Ernie (yes, that was the guy who played Ernie in My Three Sons, Barry Livingston), just say "They wanted me to lie about the company's environmental policies and I wouldn't. So I had to resign."
Then with the second job, just say "Hey, I'll take your offer but I can guarantee I'll still be job-searching while I'm there. You want to lock me in, hey, you gotta pay me."
Old 11-17-22, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mickey65
Sad to see what they did to Beverly's character with her having dementia now. Altho that last parting bit with her great grandkids was pretty good!
Yeah, this episode was depressing AF. I guess this is it for EstelleParsons on the show. And that makes me sad. I can't imagine them bringing the character Beverly back after this. But God bless Parsons for hanging in there and returning when she did. She turns 95 years old on Sunday. Her husband of nearly 40 years died last year.
Old 12-01-22, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So apparently, it's wrong to want to keep a new thing looking new for as long as possible because everyone was against Darlene in last night's episode. I expected Dan to deliberately spill his beer on Darlene's couch either out of spite or to make her stop protecting it.
Old 12-01-22, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In a weird way, everyone was sort of right about the couch.

I can understand Darlene wanting to keep it in nice shape, and not spill food and shit all over it.

But Dan was also right that it's like a car that's going to end up being dented.

And Ben was on the nose when he wondered why she got a white couch. You do not want to put a white fabric couch in front of a television. Get a brown or black leather one that you can wipe down. If you want a white couch, put it in a sitting room or someplace where people aren't going to eat on it or watch tv on it.

And if you have kids or pets, forget about a white one altogether...
Old 12-02-22, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jane Curtin will appear next week for the first time as Dan's mother-in-law. Which is kind of odd, because Curtin is only 7 years older than Katey Sagal. Still, could be very funny.
Old 12-02-22, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Jane Curtin will appear next week for the first time as Dan's mother-in-law. Which is kind of odd, because Curtin is only 7 years older than Katey Sagal. Still, could be very funny.
At some point there were multiple people attracted to Darlene as well, so we really need to suspend belief in this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.