TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Westworld (S4E08) - Series Finale - "Que Será, Será" - 8/14/22

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-22, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts
re: Westworld (S4E08) - Series Finale - "Que Será, Será" 8/14/22

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Any chance that season 4 won't get a 4K UHD BD set, despite the previous seasons getting released that way?
It's a crapshoot nowadays.

I was looking through the Black Friday deals, and noticed that it appears Euphoria was only released on DVD as a combined season one and season two set. That surprised me, as Euphoria is one of their current buzz shows, and it's received Emmy noms and wins, including two for Zendaya as best lead actress in a drama.
Old 12-18-22, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 859 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Due to SAG, DGA, PGA unions, it costs studios money to keep movies and TV shows up on their services because they have to continuously pay residuals. People assume that since the shows and movies are shot and paid for, they should stay up for perpetuity. However, Discovery is trying to cut billions in debt they inherited from AT&T and they are looking at shows and movies HBO Max is hosting that apparently no one is watching anymore and trying to dump them to trim revolving debt. They lost hundreds of millions in 2021 from the stupid day and date experiment from AT&T. Westworld is a victim now because they think no one is watching it anymore.
For some reason, I assumed that they just kept track of how often something is streamed and pay residuals based up times something is watched. That would make the most sense to me and the technology is easily there.
Old 12-18-22, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,066 Likes on 2,085 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Due to SAG, DGA, PGA unions, it costs studios money to keep movies and TV shows up on their services because they have to continuously pay residuals. People assume that since the shows and movies are shot and paid for, they should stay up for perpetuity.
It's sort of a recent thing, but it seems like over the past couple of decades studios have been trying to keep their content in their own houses, so it does it seems strange that HBO is passing off recent content to the budget houses.

In the days of DVD, it was nearly unthinkable that Warners would license their titles out to companies like Criterion. This move is the equivalent of sending off recent movies to budget labels like Mill Creek.

So, even if we know that Zaslav is stripping the carcass left by AT&T, it's still strange to see.
Old 12-19-22, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 438 Likes on 309 Posts

this is why I tend to keep DVDs and Blus of the shows and movies I enjoy. Really unfortunate as I was sort of thinking of rewatching the third season again to see if it was as bad as I thought but never got around to it. That is the one season I only saw when it aired and never bothered rewatching before the last season as I was not sure if the show would be something I finished. As it turned out in my opinion this was probably the second-best season behind season 1.
Old 12-19-22, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Westworld (S4E08) - Series Finale - "Que Será, Será" - 8/14/22

It looks like Westworld and The Nevers are even pulled from HBO On Demand for cable subscribers. I guess I should have recorded The Nevers when it ran, but I always assumed that HBO content would be available on demand forever.
Old 01-31-23, 09:14 AM

Received 4,966 Likes on 3,358 Posts

This and other pulled WB content will be on Tubi and Roku:
https://tvline.com/2023/01/31/cancel...release-dates/
Old 01-31-23, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 438 Likes on 309 Posts

I feel so old. I'd swear Roku is a device, not a platform.
Old 01-31-23, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,427 Likes on 972 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I feel so old. I'd swear Roku is a device, not a platform.
They have their own content now.
Old 01-31-23, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

Roku I can understand but Tubi? Feels a bit disrespectful placing a few of those high quality prestige shows with their drek.