Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E04) - "Part IV" - 6/8/22

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-22, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts
Re: Obi-Wan Kenobi (S1E04) - "Part IV" - 6/8/22

I am really enjoying the music from this series.

Never looked into Natalie Holt, but I now know she composed "Loki". And I really loved that score as well.

My favorite so far - Leia Theme (though this is a fan edit version, they haven't released the full soundtrack yet). From the Alderaan scenes. Can just imagine a princess waving to the crowd haha

Last edited by MLBFan24; 06-11-22 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
I'm actually enjoying this for what it is. People are coming down hard on a lot of the real-world physics being askew but completely are at peace with Ewoks with sticks knocking out fully armored Stormtroopers with a soft blow to the head, etc.

Still, many of the criticisms are valid. Reva is poorly acted/directed/written. I'm guessing she's Ice Cube Jr's wife. But then any character who was about to torture a 10 year old girl is pretty much irredeemable, yet I'm sure they'll find a way anyhow because reasons/representation, whatever.

The death of "Wade"? Who was that again? Why should i care? Develop a character before you ask me to mourn for them.

Thoughts about Obi-Wan/Leia knowing each other and reconciling that with Episode 4:
Spoiler:
I'm also thinking that in Episode 6 Obi-Wan is going to Jedi mindwipe Leia about everything that happened to "keep her safe" somehow, e.g. "the less she knows about me, the safer she'll be" or something like that.

Star Wars isn't science fiction, it's high-falutin' space opera/fantasy. The more they try to make it real and gritty, the dumber it gets. Maybe Rogue One being the only exception to that rule. It works best being big, bold, epic, and silly. And fun.
That's where I am. Star Wars is pure space opera/fantasy so just give me Obi Wan and a semi-decent story, which this is. It's not great, but it's entertaining. I'm not going to nit-pick it for consistency with the original trilogy.

And I don't have a problem with Reva. Not sure what the SW nerds want from her. She's got Vader breathing down her neck, if not breaking it.

I'm much more of Trek nerd since that is sci-fi.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Dog:
Boondock Saint (06-13-22), Cusm (06-13-22)
Old 06-11-22, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just re-watched this episode. When Obi-Wan enters the base, he's just come from swimming in the ocean. He appears damp but not drenched. He should be dripping wet and leaving puddles behind him wherever he goes. Do Jedi use the Force to dry themselves? And I didn't realize snowspeeders could hold 4 people.
Old 06-11-22, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Oh yea I forgot about his wet clothes problem, which I also noticed while watching the episode.

I'm beginning to notice more "missing" scenes in this series. Whether they were deleted or just gaps they didn't care to write about.

Examples:
  • Obi-Wan sneaking his way into the fake Jedi's domain. He just appeared from around the corner.
  • Obi-Wan's (lack of) wet clothes
  • Bail Organa appearing on Tatooine to beg Obi-Wan for his help.
  • Obi-Wan miraculously healed from his 3rd degree burns
  • The Jedi hanging from the building (cartel style). That could have used an additional scene showing his final battle against the Inquisitors. I would even be ok with him having a battle, but panning the camera away as he is being killed. And then it's confirmed later with the hanging.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 06-12-22 at 02:46 PM.
Old 06-11-22, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Schmoe
Just re-watched this episode. When Obi-Wan enters the base, he's just come from swimming in the ocean. He appears damp but not drenched. He should be dripping wet and leaving puddles behind him wherever he goes. Do Jedi use the Force to dry themselves? And I didn't realize snowspeeders could hold 4 people.
Maybe he used his lightsaber. A few passes up and down until you're nice and toasty. Or he stripped down, wrung them out a few times then ducked inside a Storm Troopers bathroom and held everything under a hand dryer.
Old 06-12-22, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

You know, it could also be a meta reference or ANH where the gang hardly has anything on them and are mostly dry right after getting out of the garbage compactor, especially Luke who was completely submerged in garbage water and should smell like a sack of rotting assholes.
Old 06-12-22, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

In the Star Wars universe maybe EVERYONE smells like a sack of rotting assholes.
Old 06-12-22, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Really good episode. I’m not nitpicking plot holes and am just enjoying it for what it is. My opinion is the show kinda started slow but has really picked up the last couple episodes.

Last week with the Obi-Wan/Vader confrontation and now this week with Obi-Wan and Tala breaking into the Imperial base to save Leia again.

The tomb was definitely creepy. I thought for a minute we might see someone recognizable. The sequence with the Imperials after Obi-Wan in the hallway and him flooding it was pretty cool. Also kinda morbid seeing the floating dead Troopers.

Also cool to see more of Vader. Looking forward to seeing how the last couple of episodes play out.
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike86:
Boondock Saint (06-13-22), TGM (06-13-22)
Old 06-13-22, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
You know, it could also be a meta reference or ANH where the gang hardly has anything on them and are mostly dry right after getting out of the garbage compactor, especially Luke who was completely submerged in garbage water and should smell like a sack of rotting assholes.
Luke was wearing a stormtrooper outfit when he got drenched... but yeah, I agree. Continuity isn't SW's strong suit.
Old 06-13-22, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Continuity isn't SW's strong suit.
Bolded, Italicized, and underlined for further emphasis.
Old 06-13-22, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by philo
Trying to casually stroll past everyone while smuggling Leia her under his coat was straight up Scooby-Doo hilarious.
I'm enjoying the show and am okay with overlooking a lot of the silliness (you have to with Star Wars) but that scene was just ridiculous.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (06-13-22)
Old 06-13-22, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts

Originally Posted by cultshock
I'm enjoying the show and am okay with overlooking a lot of the silliness (you have to with Star Wars) but that scene was just ridiculous.
I was waiting for Princess Caroline from Bojack Horseman to show up and propose to him.
The actress already exists in the D+ SW universe.
Old 06-13-22, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I think people tend to forget that Star Wars, with the exception of The Empire Strikes Back which endeavored to elevate the storytelling. was generally more Indiana Jones/Crystal Skull than Raiders of the Lost Ark. Big and silly and over the top.

On that level, yeah Obi-Wan is delivering.

The Stormstrooper Helmet Smack and Leia-Smuggling Trenchcoat are both stupidly performed and ridiculous beyond words. So was Chewbacca's Tarzan yell. I still haven't seen anything as patently awful as The Mandalorian's Power Ranger Vespa Kids, but they're flirting with it.

Do I wish they would elevate the property in terms of storytelling whilst retaining the fun factor? Without question! But what we're watching now isn't too far removed from what we've seen in the past, and I'm not even just talking the prequel silliness.
Old 06-14-22, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
The Stormstrooper Helmet Smack and Leia-Smuggling Trenchcoat are both stupidly performed and ridiculous beyond words. So was Chewbacca's Tarzan yell. I still haven't seen anything as patently awful as The Mandalorian's Power Ranger Vespa Kids, but they're flirting with it.
Let's not forget these gems

Serious drama, they are not. SW doesn't have to be.
Old 06-14-22, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

More ridiculous than Luke dragging Vader's lifeless body across the Death Star floor as Imperial soldiers just run right by?
Old 06-14-22, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 916 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Timber
More ridiculous than Luke dragging Vader's lifeless body across the Death Star floor as Imperial soldiers just run right by?
If you saw someone dragging the corpse of whom you thought was the most powerful out there, would you run towards them?
milo bloom (06-14-22)
Old 06-14-22, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Let's not forget these gems
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUDXdyRoQH4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozaoqBHCMmA

Serious drama, they are not. SW doesn't have to be.
It doesn't need to be serious drama all the time --- but R1 proved that it does make for a better movie. And that shit in the video's you posted, it's not just trash juice, it's a career low. How could anyone have gone thru the concept phase of those scenes, created them, showcased them and then had them approved? The person who approved that should never work again... on anything (assuming it was Lucas).
Old 06-17-22, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Red Letter Media re:views Obi-Wan Kenobi episodes 1 thru 4

Video link:

Spoiler:

xe.kilroy (06-17-22)