Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Book of Boba Fett (S1E05) - “Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian” - 1/26/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Book of Boba Fett (S1E05) - “Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian” - 1/26/22

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-22, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts
Re: The Book of Boba Fett (S1E05) - “Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian” - 1/26/22

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
The massacre in ROTS? That was years ago. Anakin's assault on the Jedi Temple was 19 BBY and the Armorer makes Grogu's "gift" in about 9 ABY... or is there another massacre that I am forgetting?

Fixed.
I assume he's talking about Ben Solo slaughtering everyone at Luke's Jedi Temple.
Old 01-27-22, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts
Re: The Book of Boba Fett (S1E05) - “Chapter 5: Return of the Mandalorian” - 1/26/22

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
But I think we can also see why they picked it - it has a cute Grogu-sized canopy where the droid port was. Let the merchandising begin!

Old 01-27-22, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

I was actually wondering why he was flying so fast next to abs around that space cruiser, and then the cops showed up, reading my mind. Did not expect that.
Old 01-27-22, 04:00 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander
I assume he's talking about Ben Solo slaughtering everyone at Luke's Jedi Temple.
My bad... I've tried to suppress the sequel trilogy.
Old 01-27-22, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Oh, and that planet/platform thing where it would rotate and you could see the city/people reminded me of Elysium. They had a variation of that where all the rich people lived. Whereas Elysium squandered the idea, this episode used it to great effect.
The following users liked this post:
Dr. DVD (01-30-22)
Old 01-27-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Great episode. Loved that
Spoiler:
alien child waving at Mando in passenger ship.

Old 01-27-22, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
My bad... I've tried to suppress the sequel trilogy.
No matter how good stuff like The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka is or isn't, they're still (probably) leading into the execrable sequel trilogy.

It's like, every time they bring up something like sending Grogu away to Luke's Jedi Academy, or the New Republic shows up, it just reminds me that it's all going to go to shit.
The following users liked this post:
Rob V (01-27-22)
Old 01-27-22, 07:03 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
No matter how good stuff like The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, and Ahsoka is or isn't, they're still (probably) leading into the execrable sequel trilogy.

It's like, every time they bring up something like sending Grogu away to Luke's Jedi Academy, or the New Republic shows up, it just reminds me that it's all going to go to shit.
Make what Abob Teff wrote even more poignant:
Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I did get a kick out of the joke about the Empire not even lasting 30 years.

Old 01-27-22, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

If we eventually see Grogu in this place, then He'll be safely spared from the Sequel timeline:
Spoiler:

Last edited by Mondo Kane; 01-27-22 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-27-22, 07:51 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

ugh, I hope they don't go "there". ^^^
Old 01-28-22, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

What is that?
Old 01-28-22, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

The best episode of the season.... and Boba's not even in it. Lol.
Mando is truly a badass.

Edit: a couple things my son and I noticed

1. The Milennium Falcon was at the port where the public transportation ship was loading Mando and his things
2. The steel bar that Viszlaz was holding looked just like the bar that Luke, Han and Leia used to prop open the garbage compactor in SW
3. The end credits drawings showed that the "meat processing" center that Mando raided was tauntauns... made me feel sad for them

Last edited by Rob V; 01-28-22 at 07:33 AM.
Old 01-28-22, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by bluetoast
What is that?
The World Between Worlds.

It's from the Rebels animated show. It's like being inside the Force itself and those doorways lead to different points in time.

https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/World_Between_Worlds

Old 01-28-22, 10:00 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
1. The Milennium Falcon was at the port where the public transportation ship was loading Mando and his things
2. The steel bar that Viszlaz was holding looked just like the bar that Luke, Han and Leia used to prop open the garbage compactor in SW
3. The end credits drawings showed that the "meat processing" center that Mando raided was tauntauns... made me feel sad for them
I caught the second two right away and thought they were great moments. However, I don't see the Millennium Falcon. I think the transports have the same vibe, for sure, likely Corellian by design. If you mean the ship in port as Mando's ship pulls away, that's a second transport, just look at the scale.
Old 01-28-22, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

I had a thought about this feeling different than The Mandalorian.

We've had two seasons of Mandalorian and I remember a fair number of complaints early on about that show too. Now he's a certified badass and Grogu was a breakout character. Boba Fett has very limited screentime in the movies and was built up far more than he deserved to be as a character (and I always thought he was cool too). I thought he was really fun when he popped up on The Mandalorian - he helped that show too. But we're basically starting from scratch with him (even though he's been around for 40 years).

Now we're seeing his backstory and slow build, whereas Mando can come in on his show and just be a badass (like Boba Fett was on Mando's show). The Mandalore "Way" is more compelling than the Sand People back story, but I actually do think that's interesting too. That's not a group I've ever wondered about but it's actually neat seeing more about them. So I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt as they build to their finale and I'm willing to give it the time that we've given The Mandalorian too.
Old 01-28-22, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Originally Posted by dom56
Great episode. Loved that
Spoiler:
alien child waving at Mando in passenger ship.

If you noticed the concept artwork during the credits it was originally a human child.
Old 01-28-22, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
Episode 6 was written by Filoni and Favreau, so 6 should be Filoni directed and Rodriguez directs the finale.

If someone had told me back when the re-releases of the OT were in theaters we would be getting a Boba Fett series from the director of the "El Mariachi" movies I would have been excited. Amazing how time and reality changes things.

Seriously though, I think the series overall is fine, but isn't great like Mandalorian, as evident from this one. I think it's evident that BDH has a better grip on what Star Wars should be than her dad.
Old 01-28-22, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Well it picked up a bit by dumping the main character. The ship was dumb, I mean how do you even sleep in that thing. Sorry but the "helmet" thing is just dumb too. It might make sense if it was like a half helmet with a visor so you could you know eat and stuff. Anyone else just bored as fuck with Tatooine? I mean there is a universe of planets and the intent of Tatooine in Star Wars for it to be shit yet everything happens there and then we get a whole series of Obi Wan tooling around the desert. I really like the Mandalorian but my gosh they just refuse to let Star Wars universe out of the box. Liked the Ringworld city. The blacksmith has a very compelling voice.

So the idea is hit pause on your war while I go visit Grogu?

I am a more casual Star Wars guy but I really wish they had taken their time with the third trilogy. It was just so bad.
Old 01-28-22, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Saw a YouTube video with an interesting theory. This episode was not about Mando, but about the Darksaber. According to some convoluted lore from books and comics, including things from the Legends era, Boba Fett, as a genetic duplicate of Jango Fett, is the rightful heir to the Darksaber and the rightful leader of Mandalore. As for that pesky detail of Legends being stricken from canon, apparently when reintroducing elements from Legends into the new canon, a character will foreshadow it by speaking of legends, which the Armorer did on Ringworld. They're basing this on a character talking about legends coming to life before the re-introduction of Thrawn. Mando's journey to Tatooine was to find the last of the mythical creatures that the creator of the Darksaber rode into battle. The last surviving one is there. So it all fits together. Somehow. Or not.

I have no idea if someone is reading too much into this, as I'm spotty at best about Clone Wars and have seen basically nothing from Rebels, but they could be onto something.
Old 01-29-22, 08:46 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

when someone asks you if you've ever taken your helmet off you say NO
The following 2 users liked this post by TGM:
lisadoris (01-29-22), story (01-29-22)
Old 01-29-22, 08:51 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

so I may be in the minority here, but I felt this episode was meh.

good to see Mando, and the opening was awesome, but I thought the pacing of the rest was disjointed and glacial, and the fight scene on the catwalk poorly done. doesn't help that I can't stand the mechanic lady's character.

do not count me in the crowd clamoring for BDH to helm her own Star Wars movie/trilogy just yet.
Old 01-29-22, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Why is Mando concerned about rejoining a clan that never takes their helmets off after knowing he broke that rule and after meeting Bo-Katan's clan, which is okay with taking their helmets off?

I agree with a Youtuber who said the butcher's room at the beginning of the episode looked like it took place at any meat factory here on Earth rather than in a galaxy far, far away. It even had the clear plastic strips that hang in the doorways. I also thought the aliens in that scene looked like they were wearing cheap bulldog Halloween masks. Other than that, I enjoyed the episode a lot.
Old 01-29-22, 10:25 AM

Tauntaun, it’s what’s for dinner.

Amazon Amazon

Old 01-29-22, 10:25 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
I will say there was one thing that bothered me ... and this wasn't a director's decision:

Replacing the Razor's Crest with a small, one-man light fighter. I won't even lament that it was a callback to the prequels that was unnecessary; it is a very impractical ship for a bounty hunter. Though I am sure the reason will factor into a future episode when we see (prediction ahead)
Mando don't care, he'll just return his bounties in pieces from now on.
Old 01-29-22, 10:49 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I'm really surprised by all of the back and forth about Mando now having a starfighter instead of a gunship. Let him get a new mixed blessing and figure out how to make the most of it. That's how story works!

Have people forgotten the basics of three-act structure?
Act I: Get your hero in a tree.
Act II: Throw apples at them.
Act III: Get your hero out of the tree.

Going from gunship to starfighter is throwing apples. It's the only ship he can get right now. He'll have to deal with it and get creative. We don't know how he got the Razor Crest and how he had to be creative to get there or be creative with it. I mean, that ship had its limitations. How many times did we see it fall apart or taken apart? In fact, just how many minutes worth of The Mandalorian was devoted to fixing the stinking Razor Crest?! That would be a interesting YouTube montage.

As for going to a new ship, good! Is it the way of bounty hunting he knew? No. Fine. He had plenty of room for a rack of carbonated bounties and space for a team. Now, not so much. He has to pivot, that's interesting to me, for both the story and the character. Likewise, while he doesn't have some of those former perks, he now has tremendous speed and maneuverability, the lightspeed capacity is great, and he'll always have room for at least one other person.

We all knew as soon as the Razor Crest was blown up (riiiiight after the HasLabs toy version for $350 apiece got funded!) that Mando would have to figure something out and the chances that he'd be able to easily get his hands on the most idea replacement ship for the way he'd been doing things were slim. Not only that, I think it would be boring, storywise. Let him adapt, let him grow, let him try something new.

Edited to add: They're basically doing the opposite of Chili Palmer's experience in Get Shorty. Chili went from sports car to minivan. Mando is going from gunship to a wizard starfighter.

Edited again: Oh, interesting, if I go back and edit the post the "likes" go away. Now I'm losing dopamine!

Last edited by story; 01-29-22 at 01:15 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by story:
Cellar Door (01-29-22), cultshock (01-29-22), tanman (02-01-22), The Questyen (01-29-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.