Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-23, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,079 Likes on 676 Posts
Re: Quantum Leap (NBC) -- sequel series -- premieres 9/19/22

Kudos to the show for tackling a controversial topic (much like the original did).

That said, I still feel this show is lacking. The future segments are often more interesting then the leaps and the editing is just too rapid. There's no time for the story to breath. I also just feel like each time period looks the same with not much distinction. 1979 felt similar to 1990 and the future feels similar, too. Seriously, what happened to glowing earings? At least in one of the last episodes they showed LA to kinda' look updated.

Also, some continuity set by the original show lacks. Like, in the last episode, why couldn't Addison just lock on the character running away like Al could? I gather it's because there's no longer a Waiting Room area and the tech is different for the leapee?
I guess I missed the explanation on why he can leap outside of his lifetime?

Still makes no sense to my why Ziggy, who they are constantly referring too, isn't seen/heard.
The following users liked this post:
Boondock Saint (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 186 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Still makes no sense to my why Ziggy, who they are constantly referring too, isn't seen/heard.
That's how it was in the original, no? Al referenced him but the audience didn't see him until the Sam/Al leap where Sam returned to the future with his memory intact.
The following users liked this post:
ViewAskewbian (02-10-23)
Old 02-10-23, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,079 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by HeIsTheZissou
That's how it was in the original, no? Al referenced him but the audience didn't see him until the Sam/Al leap where Sam returned to the future with his memory intact.
Yes. That's when Ziggy became a her for the rest of the episodes and was seen more during the show. That said, the original series didn't spend much time in the future portion of the project like this one does. Still, for fans of the original show, Ziggy isn't really a mystery anymore and with so much time in the future it seems silly to not show what is an important character on the show. I mean, Deborah Pratt is still around and could even voice the character again.
Old 02-13-23, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,115 Likes on 684 Posts

Just caught up on the last few episodes. This has grown on me and I'm going to try to stay current with it now.

The most recent ep with the trans girl was good, though it felt like a fantasy in terms of how accepting most of the characters were of her, with a few exceptions. The bigotry and resistance she faced was pretty tame compared to what I imagine a lot of those kids experience.
Old 03-11-23, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 135 Likes on 98 Posts

I know this thread has been quiet, but I thought the last episode (Navy ship) was quite good. It had a good plot overall, and laying in
Spoiler:
Addison’s dad

really added a lot. Plus it helped that Brandon Routh and some other familiar faces were the guest stars.

I think the ending was especially interesting. It had a very Dr Who and River Song vibe in terms of sequencing. I think there’s only about 5-6 more episodes in the season, so I hope they ramp up more of the overall plot as I feel like that’s take a back seat the past few episodes.

Speaking of, I have no clue where Al’s daughter has been. She just hanging out in a holding cell?

I think it would actually be interesting if, despite his waxing posting, if Ian ended up being a big villain and mole. Mainly because I think it would be interesting, and despite plot, I don’t feel like the writers/actors have telegraphed it.
Old 03-11-23, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I liked this episode a lot. The whole situation with Addison was heartbreaking. I have no idea how realistic any of the strategies the Navy guys used were (I would guess not very), but the story played out pretty nicely.

At the very beginning, I had to rewind because I thought Ben cursed and I was surprised they would air that. Turns out he said "Oh ship!"
Old 03-12-23, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman07
I think it would actually be interesting if, despite his waxing posting, if Ian ended up being a big villain and mole. Mainly because I think it would be interesting, and despite plot, I don’t feel like the writers/actors have telegraphed it.
That would be a big twist considering it was Ian that leaped into the person that told Ben he had to leap to save Addison.

Old 03-12-23, 01:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I know this thread has been quiet, but I thought the last episode (Navy ship) was quite good. It had a good plot overall, and laying in
Spoiler:
Addison’s dad

really added a lot. Plus it helped that Brandon Routh and some other familiar faces were the guest stars.

I think the ending was especially interesting. It had a very Dr Who and River Song vibe in terms of sequencing. I think there’s only about 5-6 more episodes in the season, so I hope they ramp up more of the overall plot as I feel like that’s take a back seat the past few episodes.

Speaking of, I have no clue where Al’s daughter has been. She just hanging out in a holding cell?

Network writers would not be able to have that plot twist and not telegraph it, they are not good enough
Old 03-22-23, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All around good episode this week in the insane asylum. Creepy too!

Also, some big developments with Martinez and Ziggy!
Old 03-28-23, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

BIG twist at the end of the airline episode!!
Old 03-30-23, 12:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Even though it's different than the original I'm liking having a case of the week to solve along with the overarching story.
Old 03-30-23, 06:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
Even though it's different than the original I'm liking having a case of the week to solve along with the overarching story.
I agree. The first few episodes were a bit shaky, but the “present” plot has really helped things. I think the Janice part could have been handled better. It was all very prominent but feels like a second though the last handful of episodes.

Really curious how next week plays out. I wonder if it ends with
Spoiler:
Ian getting in the chamber to go back and put everything in motion.
Old 03-30-23, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 48 Posts

Has the finale date been announced?
Old 03-30-23, 06:07 PM

Received 221 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by randian
Has the finale date been announced?
I think it's next week.
Old 03-31-23, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

Has this been renewed? I am enjoying the series thus far, and hope it continues.
Old 03-31-23, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,980 Likes on 2,832 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Has this been renewed? I am enjoying the series thus far, and hope it continues.
Yes this was already renewed in December and they are already shooting the 2nd season. I think they wanted to start shooting the 2nd season because of the possible writer's strike and get as many episodes as they can filmed.
Old 03-31-23, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree that the show strikes a good balance with the episodic leap-of-the-week stories and the season-long plot involving Martinez, Ziggy, etc. Glad to hear it was already renewed, I will be watching!
Old 04-04-23, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So that was an interesting season 1 finale.
  • I was expecting it all to take place in the future.
  • Cool to see the 2018 looks
  • The ending definitely felt like BTTF 2 meets Terminator
  • Disappointed there wasn’t a but more of a cliffhanger, especially after they showed the season 2 sneak peak
  • A little disappointed in the Martinez outcome as that added some dynamic and intrigue to the season.
  • Given what future Ian told Ben, I wonder if the future Martinez program (?) was also responsible for who Sam ran into back during the Civil War episode.
Old 04-05-23, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 130 Likes on 104 Posts

• Given what future Ian told Ben, I wonder if the future Martinez program (?) was also responsible for who Sam ran into back during the Civil War episode.
Having never seen the original series, I'm not familiar. I am wondering, though, if the new show could use footage from the original series if they did want to make a connection like what you mention? I seem to remember them using a still of Bakula in a previous episode, but I could be misremembering.
Old 04-05-23, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by jjcool
Having never seen the original series, I'm not familiar. I am wondering, though, if the new show could use footage from the original series if they did want to make a connection like what you mention? I seem to remember them using a still of Bakula in a previous episode, but I could be misremembering.
I was at the WonderCon panel, the producers said that they want to keep Sam Beckett’s world seperate from
Ben’s for now. If Scott Bakula does decide to return then that will change.
Old 04-06-23, 11:56 AM

Received 77 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
I was at the WonderCon panel, the producers said that they want to keep Sam Beckett’s world seperate from
Ben’s for now. If Scott Bakula does decide to return then that will change.
I was totally expecting a Scott Bakula appearance (or digitally-inserted clip from original series) in the finale. like when all those leaps were happening to previous episodes maybe just a glimpse of him in transit.
Old 09-23-23, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Season 2 previews

Premieres October 4th

13 episodes were ordered, but production was interrupted due to the strikes. They claim most of the order was completed before the shutdown.
Old 09-27-23, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Nice. Difficult to tell as they may have spliced season 1 content in there, but they make it seem like he’ll retrace over season 1 locations Ala BTTF II.
Old 10-05-23, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really good opener to season 2!

A main complaint I heard about season 1 was how little Ben had to acclimate to his situation. Here, he had to get through the entire episode without help. Plus the group he was with had a good dynamic.

Not only was the end reveal a shocker, but the teaser for the season had a doozy of a Debra as well!
Old 10-05-23, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk God

I read they filmed 8 of the 13 episodes before the strike. The writer's room just reopened, so I think they are going to try to finish the rest of the season once the actor's strike is settled.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.