DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dexter: New Blood - Sins of the Father - (S1E10, Season Finale) - 1/9/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654550-dexter-new-blood-sins-father-s1e10-season-finale-1-9-22-a.html)

Mike86 01-09-22 12:50 PM

Re: Dexter: New Blood - Sins of the Father - (S1E10, Season Finale) - 1/9/22

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 14037699)

Ugh.. what now? Not sure what else is left to fuck up with this show. All I can think of is Harrison the spin-off.

Spoiler:
That or if we get some kind of follow-up with Batista in Iron Lake. Obviously Dexter is dead now so it wouldn’t be as interesting, but maybe there’s some meat on the bone for a wrap-up movie or something.

Dscarpad 01-09-22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 14037670)
Batista's inbox:

shit I would’ve like to see that as a limited series

Osiris3657 01-09-22 09:27 PM

I was actually pretty bummed to see Dexter die. I had enjoyed this rebirth of Dexter and was hoping we'd be seeing him for a couple more seasons. Still, definitely a better ending than the lumberjack one.

mickey65 01-09-22 10:12 PM

I thought it was a pretty good ending. It all finally came to a head for him. He got sloppy, and I think Harrison showing up put him off his game due to his emotions taking over. Once Angela did that second interview with him and mentioned the Bay Harbor Butcher and Bautista, he knew he was fucked and got desperate when he had to kill Logan.

It was a fitting ending and I think Harrison was "cured" of his inner demons, like Lumen was after she was able to do what she needed to to be able to go on. You could see that slight look of relief on Harrison's face with that subtle smile as he drives away when the last of the letter is read, "I need to die so that my son can live..."

I thought I would hate the ending after seeing all the spoilers all day on-line about what was going to happen. But after watching it with my own eyes, I thought it was pretty good. Everything was resolved for me, especially the scene when Angela got into Kurt's "tomb" and saw all the girls she recognized that she was investigating!

I keep thinking about the scene from when LaGuerta was shot by Deb and how she kept yelling at Deb to shoot Dexter, "Put him down! He needs to be put down!" ....and that's what Harrison finally did.

Coral 01-09-22 10:29 PM

Would loved to have seen Batista and Dexter meet up.

There was really no way else for this to end for Dexter. He's basically Walter White... not supposed to be a bad guy, but his selfishness has hurt a lot of innocent people over and over - which makes him bad. Killing Logan was the final straw for me - no excuse for that. When he came to his realization, he thought about the innocent people he hurt - but why is Lundy part of that? I don't think he was even close to responsible for his death. Glad Doakes is off the hook for the BHB.

Isn't Angela going to cover for Harrison? There's really nothing tying Harrison to Dexter's death - as long as Angela does some minor covering up... and Harrison can't be blamed for anything else. So why did she tell him to get away? Weird that they're showing Harrison looking at the town he's leaving trying to show his emotions. I can understand his attachment to the chick - hence showing him looking at her room... but the school, the diner, and everything else? He was only there for 3 weeks or so... it's a little too dramatic for that. And it wasn't for the viewer - not going to get emotional about anyone else or the setting as we've only lived with it for 10 episodes.

And I think it's plausible for Angela to tie the BHB to Dexter... there's enough to make her think it.

Coral 01-09-22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 14038005)
Everything was resolved for me, especially the scene when Angela got into Kurt's "tomb" and saw all the girls she recognized that she was investigating!

I liked the scene, except that she states the name of the victims out for the viewer (their full name at that) - even though they flashed the missing bulletin or actual scene with the person to let us know who they were. We didn't need to hear the names - the flashback stuff was good enough... and it's not realistic that someone say their names out loud when they're by themselves in shock.

Mike86 01-09-22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 14038010)
And I think it's plausible for Angela to tie the BHB to Dexter... there's enough to make her think it.

The thing is there was a way to have had her make that connection. The show didn’t do a good job at that though. Made it way too convenient. If not for the search she did about ketamine, which again wasn’t even what he used she would have never made the connection.

Other than that what did she have that made her think the Bay Harbor Butcher was still at large? Sure Matt went missing, but his body wasn’t found. There weren’t other dismembered bodies showing up. Dexter didn’t keep trophies anymore so no blood slides for her to have found.

That whole part with her on the phone with Batista was stupid not only because there was no payoff to it, but she says something along the lines of there being similar murders in Iron Lake to those of the Bay Harbor Butcher. There really weren’t though (at least not to her knowledge). The drug dealer Dexter killed was injected with the ketamine, but aside from that it was the only connection to have been maybe made.

andicus 01-09-22 11:36 PM

Well that fucking sucked...

Feels like a waste of a decent season, and now no chance for more. A Harrison spinoff? No thanks. Michael C. Hall is what made this interesting. I really DGAF about the Harrison character, and didn't care much for the actor.

And Angela is going to cover up that killing? Good luck with that. Ballistics showing it was Harrison's rifle, Harrison fucking off right after the killing, his truck tire tracks leading up to the scene of the killing? Just stupid. It would've been easier/better to frame it as a self-defence killing.

Also, how did Angela know where to find them? Sure, there would be a tracker on Logan's car, but it looked like Dexter ran quite a way to meet Harrison. A minor quibble about that, though.

Dexter would also have seen the rifle, since it was out in the open, and if he really wanted to get away, he would've done something to prevent Harrison from being able to shoot him.

windom 01-09-22 11:56 PM

I was thinking (or maybe just hoping) that Harrison would have killed himself, maybe because he didn't want to end up becoming like his father. That would actually be a more shocking ending. That would end up being the ultimate punishment for Dexter that he would have to live with if he had escaped Angela.

philo 01-09-22 11:59 PM

This is why you don't buy guns for your kids.

But really why did Dexter need to escape jail? Was the case at all solid? Because Batista was coming up with his folder of papers?
It felt really rushed and contrived. I didn't mind the actor playing Harrison but no way am I watching a show based around him. And what are they going to do make him a serial killer after the climactic scene had him declare he wasn't like his father? Sure it wasn't lumberjack bad but they sure didn't stick the landing.

I think one of the goofiest moments was the suspended animation trophy walk through. When they get to Molly a character everyone is familiar with at this point they felt it necessary to show a flashback of her downing a cocktail and being annoying even without sound.

Coral 01-10-22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14038023)
The thing is there was a way to have had her make that connection. The show didn’t do a good job at that though. Made it way too convenient. If not for the search she did about ketamine, which again wasn’t even what he used she would have never made the connection.

Other than that what did she have that made her think the Bay Harbor Butcher was still at large? Sure Matt went missing, but his body wasn’t found. There weren’t other dismembered bodies showing up. Dexter didn’t keep trophies anymore so no blood slides for her to have found.

That whole part with her on the phone with Batista was stupid not only because there was no payoff to it, but she says something along the lines of there being similar murders in Iron Lake to those of the Bay Harbor Butcher. There really weren’t though (at least not to her knowledge). The drug dealer Dexter killed was injected with the ketamine, but aside from that it was the only connection to have been maybe made.

Angela was hella suspicious of Dexter because he changed his name and ran. She finds out about the messed up stuff back in Miami. Then Molly's podcast tells her that Doakes had alibis for one/some of the killings and that someone else in the Miami Metro was the killer. She finds that Dexter poked they guy with something like a syringe, the same day he gets ketamine... and the BHB injected his victims. The drug deal died of a ketamine OD even though he had no ketamine at his place. Then she gets a letter saying he killed Matt... and then she finds the pins. Angela may not have enough to prove it in a court of law yet, but she's going with her gut because otherwise it would be a helluva coincidence otherwise. And as for the ketamine/M99 thing... I think the writers just retconned the drug they used in the original series.

And I agree that Angela could've helped Harrison use a self-defense reason for killing Dexter. With the truth about Dexter about to be out - the self-defense angle would make sense.

I really don't see a continuation of the show with Harrison. There's nothing there at all. No story and limited character.

Mike86 01-10-22 12:25 AM

Angela was suspicious of Dexter changing his name, but really the ketamine is what did him in. I think she kind of bought into the story he told her about why he moved and changed his name.

I have a problem with the M99/ketamine retcon. Just because it’s such a big factor into the story and Dexter getting caught. Angela shouldn’t have been able to connect those dots, but the show just wants us to forget that detail.

Even though I seem to remember Dexter even mentions the fact that he has to use a different drug because he doesn’t have police credentials anymore. Lazy writing.

The letter Angela receives saying Jim is Matt’s killer sure okay. Something to go with but no proof until she subsequently is able to find the screw at Dexter’s cabin almost instantly is also so dumb. In all that burnt up mess that one little thing is just conveniently found.

Also I thought Molly actually had something else on the Bay Harbor Butcher case. All it turned out to be is that someone else in Miami Metro was suspected, which isn’t a shocking revelation.

Throwing Copper 01-10-22 03:06 AM

I really liked this episode and the whole season.

That being said, why on earth did showtime put this one out early. So fuxking stupid.

There were some eye rolling moments in the execution of this finale too.

But I loved Dexter dying. It was emotional seeing this character we have all kinda like and kinda hated go down.

thwy could have executed that a little better too. Not have him stand there like Ben Kenobi and Vader in Star Wars.

they would be so dumb to continue this without Michael C Hall. He’s a good actor. A lot of the chumps they filled out the cast with are not.

mickey65 01-10-22 09:15 AM

Looks like the big announcement for today was how the Blue-Ray DVD for the series will be coming out in March...:lol:

uteotw 01-10-22 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 14037985)
I was actually pretty bummed to see Dexter die. I had enjoyed this rebirth of Dexter and was hoping we'd be seeing him for a couple more seasons. Still, definitely a better ending than the lumberjack one.

Agreed on all counts. I wasn't expecting this, and it sucks because I was really hoping for some more seasons. Harrison sure went fast from wanting to hurt people and being on board w/Dexter to killing Dexter.

dsa_shea 01-10-22 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 14038154)
Looks like the big announcement for today was how the Blue-Ray DVD for the series will be coming out in March...:lol:

Boooo!!! Like any of us thought it wouldn't come out. It has been listed for a few days on some sites.

Mike86 01-10-22 11:42 AM

I’m kind of glad that’s all the announcement was. For now at least.

The show clearly ended in a way where it’s not carrying forward or at least not with Dexter. I really have little to no interest in a Harrison spin-off.

New Lurker 01-10-22 01:12 PM

I would be okay with a wrap up movie. It's not necessary. But neither was El Camino. Give us the closure of Batista being able to clear Doaks name and what's left of the old Miami Metro grieving. Give us the closure of Harrison meeting up with Astor & Cody. Give us a wrap up to Iron Lake & Angela getting her kudos for being right about the missing girls. That I could go for. But no way can Harrison lead a series. I loved the Dexter universe. But it just doesn't work without the Dexter character.

DJariya 01-10-22 01:56 PM

stingermck 01-10-22 03:04 PM

Bringing him back just to kill him is really shitting on the fans.

Plus Harrison didn't earn it.

And if he did, they needed a better actor to pull it off.

windom 01-10-22 04:07 PM

The only way I could see them continuing with Harrison as the lead is to wait 5-10 years and recast the part. Or might as well do a complete reboot at that point with a younger Dexter. Maybe something that follows the books more closely, but it sounds like those go off the rails at some point.

Mike86 01-10-22 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by New Lurker (Post 14038286)
I would be okay with a wrap up movie. It's not necessary. But neither was El Camino. Give us the closure of Batista being able to clear Doaks name and what's left of the old Miami Metro grieving. Give us the closure of Harrison meeting up with Astor & Cody. Give us a wrap up to Iron Lake & Angela getting her kudos for being right about the missing girls. That I could go for. But no way can Harrison lead a series. I loved the Dexter universe. But it just doesn't work without the Dexter character.

The big difference with El Camino is the fact that at the end of Breaking Bad one of the main characters that we were actually invested in was still alive. It was interesting if not a little unnecessary to see what happened with Jesse next.

I could see a wrap-up movie for Dexter, but it probably isn’t needed. I mean aside from the Miami Metro crew the main characters are dead.

Is anyone that interested in seeing Batista, Masuka, and Quinn coming to terms with the truth about Dexter? Doesn’t seem all that interesting to me. Harrison isn’t developed enough as a character or interesting enough.

That’s why if anything I think Dexter being caught would have been a better ending. There could have been some interesting things to have done with that storyline.

I would have liked to have seen Dexter on the run, eventually caught, and then extradited to Miami. Think that would have been more interesting/satisfying.

Mike86 01-10-22 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by windom (Post 14038396)
The only way I could see them continuing with Harrison as the lead is to wait 5-10 years and recast the part. Or might as well do a complete reboot at that point with a younger Dexter. Maybe something that follows the books more closely, but it sounds like those go off the rails at some point.

I’ve thought about this as well. Do a fresh reboot of Dexter. The problem there though is I don’t think anyone will be better in the role than Michael C. Hall.

Younger Dexter I’m not too sure about. It could work, but I feel like it wouldn’t be any better.

uteotw 01-10-22 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14038402)
That’s why if anything I think Dexter being caught would have been a better ending. There could have been some interesting things to have done with that storyline.

I would have liked to have seen Dexter on the run, eventually caught, and then extradited to Miami. Think that would have been more interesting/satisfying.

That would have been GREAT. I would have loved that. One season with him on the run, another with him caught... BUMMER.

hdtv00 01-10-22 07:44 PM

They 100% wanted a Harrison s2. Rewatch ending Harrison literally turns to no one and yells SHUT UP like he's talking to his own dark passenger and then kills Dexter...When Harrison shouts, “Open your eyes, and look at what you’ve done!” It’s a call-back to the Dexter Pilot, the first time we meet Dexter and he tells his victim, “Open your eyes, and look at what you did.”