DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Dexter: New Blood - Sins of the Father - (S1E10, Season Finale) - 1/9/22 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/654550-dexter-new-blood-sins-father-s1e10-season-finale-1-9-22-a.html)

Mike86 01-08-22 09:18 AM

Dexter: New Blood - Sins of the Father - (S1E10, Season Finale) - 1/9/22

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...760675ded1.jpgDexter and Harrison try to live a normal life in a place that they have discovered is not as normal as they thought it was. Will the two of them be able to live happily ever after, despite all the threats coming their way?  Season finale.

Showtime’s official synopsis describes this as the season finale as seen above. Not sure if it is actually returning for a second season or not. I suppose it depends on how the episode ends.

RichC2 01-08-22 10:55 AM

Re: Dexter: New Blood - Sins of the Father - (S1E10, Season Finale) - 1/9/22

They have been tip toeing around and refer to it simply as "Finale", no Season or Series qualifier.

mickey65 01-08-22 01:19 PM

I read the spoilers on this one this morning by those lucky enough out in Australia to see it first...and I won't say any more.

Josh-da-man 01-08-22 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 14037311)
I read the spoilers on this one this morning by those lucky enough out in Australia to see it first...and I won't say any more.

I went a-spoiler huntin' on twitter, and all I have to say is... -ohbfrank-

dex14 01-09-22 12:01 AM

I guess it was better than what we got at the end of the originally series… but I didn’t really feel any sort of way about this ending.

I guess that is why they been cryptic about coming back for another season. I feel like Hall’s answers to those questions were telling.

Mike86 01-09-22 12:11 AM

That was… underwhelming. I’ll spoiler things for the time being.

Spoiler:
Going into this episode I really really didn’t expect Dexter to die. Just didn’t feel like that’s what they were setting up.

Everything just happened so fast. First Angela piecing together that Dexter must be the Bay Harbor Butcher. Then of everything in the burnt mess of Dexter’s cabin Angela just happens to pick out the medical screw from Matt almost instantly. Barely even looking and “oh what do we have here?” -rolleyes-

As the episode progressed with Dexter in custody things were clearly falling apart and he didn’t have a way to get out of the situation. I was really thinking though: “oh so we’re going to get a season or so of Dexter on the run.”

Then he goes and kills Logan. Absolutely stupid that they had him do that. The old Dexter wouldn’t have done it and would have tried to find a way to weasel out of his predicament.

I think the whole season was basically him losing his mind and he got to his breaking point, but I really didn’t like that turn. Not even just that he did it, but it just felt kind of like a cheap way to get Harrison to turn on him.

After Dexter killed Logan I pretty much figured he would die somehow. It made sense for Harrison to have done it since he looked up to Logan and would be upset over Dexter killing an innocent.

Dexter’s death.. eh. Not much to really say about it. I liked the flashbacks to all the innocent lives he was responsible for. I didn’t want that ending even if it’s what the character deserved.

All in all a better ending to the show than what we originally got, but still not entirely satisfying. I can’t say that this season completely let me down, but is it really what I wanted to see after ten years? Not really.

Jeremy517 01-09-22 12:20 AM

The episode is available on Showtime streaming now, but I guess I'll use spoiler tags since it hasn't aired on the Showtime channel yet.

I don't think the ending was very good. Better than the original ending I guess, but still botched.

Spoiler:
Harrison killing Dexter wasn't unexpected and would have been fine, just not the way it went down. For Harrison to kill Dexter and have it make sense, Harrison would have had to do it by surprising Dexter and then put Dexter on his own kill table, similar to how Dexter put all his victims on his table. That is what I was expecting after Dexter killed Logan.

Instead, Harrison gives a speech about how Dexter was what is wrong with him and that he won't end up like Dexter, then Dexter says he wanted to be a good father and asks Harrison to kill him? Way to ruin your kid's life further and make him be a murderer when he might not have gone down that road after all. If Dexter decided that he had to die there, he should have just killed himself instead. Making Harrison do it made no sense.

Mike86 01-09-22 12:28 AM

Spoiler:
I heard a rumor that two endings were filmed for this. Wonder if there’s any truth to that at all. Not that it matters as this is what aired and what’s officially canon, but I’m curious if there was an ending where Dexter doesn’t die.

Mike86 01-09-22 12:37 AM

This is a show where as much as I like it it’s so damn frustrating. Just because it could have been so much better. I guess we’ll always have those first four seasons.

New Blood was just very okay. Sad to say that I’m disappointed in another finale of this show.

Originally Posted by Jeremy517 (Post 14037582)
The episode is available on Showtime streaming now, but I guess I'll use spoiler tags since it hasn't aired on the Showtime channel yet.

I don't think the ending was very good. Better than the original ending I guess, but still botched.

Spoiler:
Harrison killing Dexter wasn't unexpected and would have been fine, just not the way it went down. For Harrison to kill Dexter and have it make sense, Harrison would have had to do it by surprising Dexter and then put Dexter on his own kill table, similar to how Dexter put all his victims on his table. That is what I was expecting after Dexter killed Logan.

Instead, Harrison gives a speech about how Dexter was what is wrong with him and that he won't end up like Dexter, then Dexter says he wanted to be a good father and asks Harrison to kill him? Way to ruin your kid's life further and make him be a murderer when he might not have gone down that road after all. If Dexter decided that he had to die there, he should have just killed himself instead. Making Harrison do it made no sense.

Spoiler:
Very true as well. Harrison is already fucked up. First his mother is murdered, and then he has to kill his father.

Dexter should have just killed himself or he should have just walked away from Harrison and had a confrontation with Angela or Batista or other cops and been killed by one of them instead.

What was even the point in having Batista be in this episode? Just so he got his moment of truth about Dexter being the Bay Harbor Butcher? Such a damn waste.

Also regarding Angela and Harrison. She’s covering for him presumably as a way to kind of pay Dexter back for giving her the location of the runaway victims. Not sure exactly why Harrison needs to be on the run if she’s taking the fall for killing Dexter. No other witnesses were there.

philo 01-09-22 01:06 AM

FFS. All these years and this is the best they could come up with? Yeesh. Fool me once...

Mike86 01-09-22 01:16 AM

Also I’m ranting at this point but..

Spoiler:
Angela’s call to Batista she says there have been a series of murders similar to those of the Bay Harbor Butcher. Ummm.. what? There’s no bodies or proof to lead her to that conclusion.

The only things she has are the needle marks, which sure are similar, but only the one drug dealer was found dead and had that mark. He also wasn’t hacked up in Dexter’s normal style.

It’s not like a bunch of dismembered bodies were discovered to lead Angela to believe the Bay Harbor Butcher is in Iron Lake.

windom 01-09-22 01:28 AM

Wow, they've all published the coverage of this episode at the usual TV news sites. Usually they wait until after the episode actually airs. Glad I was able to watch it already.

DJariya 01-09-22 02:02 AM

Better than the original series ending. But hardly a “break the internet” type ending as Clyde Phillips teased last summer.

Koby 01-09-22 03:59 AM

Well I guess that answers the question as to if we should expect a season renewal or not.

dex14 01-09-22 07:20 AM

‘Dexter: New Blood’ Boss On Shocking Finale; Teases Possible New Season
https://deadline.com/2022/01/dexter-...rs-1234906655/

SPOILER ALERT: This interview reveals major storylines from the finale of Showtime’s Dexter: New Blood.
Spoiler:
When Clyde Phillips met with Michael C. Hall about returning to the role of Dexter Morgan in what would become Dexter: New Blood, he already knew the serial killer’s life would end.

Hall signed up without hesitation.

Fans of the hit Showtime series Dexter, which ran eight seasons from 2006-2013, rejoined the former Miami Metro blood spatter analyst —now known by the alias Jim Lindsay—and have enthusiastically tuned in to watch his final adventure unfold. And though that journey has now come to an end with his shocking death, the beloved franchise may continue to expand with a little help from his progeny, Harrison Morgan (Jack Alcott).

Phillips spoke with Deadline about whether death was the only conclusion on the table for Dexter, the status of a possible continuation, and what happens to Chief Angela Bishop (Julia Jones) after the show ends.

DEADLINE: Did Dexter have to die at the end of New Blood or did you have other ideas?

CLYDE PHILLIPS: Yes. We knew this had to happen, and I think it had to happen for the audience as much as for the character. To see him get caught time and time again and get out of it at a time and time again is a disservice to the audience. And I think there’s a certain truth in this storytelling, in authenticity in the storytelling.

So early on when I went to go and speak with Michael, it was about two and a half years ago in early July 2019, I told him my ideas. We met after I received a call from Showtime president Gary Levine who told me they were interested in revisiting this. Michael gave me a big hug and told me, “I’m in.” He knew how this would end.

DEADLINE: How do you feel New Blood completed Dexter’s story?

PHILLIPS: How often does a show get to do a second finale? I think the answer is never. With the bad taste that the original finale left in everybody’s mouth, we had this rare opportunity to redeem the show and to give the audience the respect it deserves, the authenticity it deserves, and the gratitude for sticking with us. The numbers have been exploding for Showtime, I think we’re their No. 1 asset. I’m so humbled by that.

DEADLINE: Knowing how strongly fans feel about this series, there will be some who will hate the finality that Dexter’s death will bring. What do you say to that?

PHILLIPS: Well, it’s interesting. You should know that I lurk a lot on social media. Maybe I have too much time on my hands? [laughs] But everyone has a different sort of opinion. Some people say the end of Season 8 was great. Some people said it’s the worst thing they’ve ever seen. Some people have guessed exactly what’s going to happen. Some people think that Harrison isn’t really Harrison and that the person we see killed the real Harrison. Some people think Harrison killed Hannah [Yvonne Strahovski]. There’s got to be a panoply of opinions. So I just can’t take it personally. We’re ready for anything.

DEADLINE: In the finale, Dexter is shot by Harrison and he is bleeding out, but the viewer doesn’t see he’s definitely dead. Can you confirm so there is no doubt left?

PHILLIPS: I have three words for you: Dexter is dead. I wouldn’t do that to the audience. It would be dishonest. Here, there is no question that this is the finale of Dexter. Dexter is dead.

DEADLINE: Harrison shared parts of his life in New Blood but there’s still so much we don’t know about him. Do you want to tell more of it in a continuation?

PHILLIPS: As I mentioned, this show is a huge asset. When people start bingeing this after the finale, I’m confident the numbers will continue to go up. It’s up to Showtime to make the call to me if they want more. If they ask me if I’d like to make a continuation of this, I would say yes. I have a lot of things going on but I would drop everything for this and say yes in one second.

DEADLINE: What would a continuation look like?

PHILLIPS: Harrison is such a complicated character and he has within him the seeds of the dark passenger. He’s capable. Look at that takedown of Dexter in the end, what’s in Harrison is that he has to kill this man.

Also, Harrison brings a different perspective to the vigilantism of it all than Dexter did, which was kind of surprising to Dexter. He brings this youthful, optimistic innocence, that he and his dad are basically Batman and Robin. Think of every time we take out one of these bad guys how many lives we’re saving, that this bad person is not going to kill. Dexter never thought of that. Dexter was only taking out bad guys because that was his code.

DEADLINE: Harrison helps Dexter realize he has become the evil he wanted to rid the world of. How does that help Dexter accept his fate?

PHILLIPS: Yes. He helps him see that he is a villain. When Harrison yells at Dexter and tells him, “Open your eyes and see what you’ve done.” He has those flashbacks of all the innocent people who died because of him like Doakes (Erik King), Deb (Jennifer Carpenter) and LaGuerta (Luna Lauren Velez). People who, if Dexter wasn’t who he was, would still be alive. He’s talking to an addict, basically.

Harrison could’ve done a number of things. And Dexter was either going to get shot in the front or in the back.

When Dexter says, “I’ve never felt real love until now,” that’s a huge breakthrough. Remember when he tells Deb in the second season that if he were capable of love, she would be the one. But now he is capable of love. She was his step-sister, this is his son. It’s a real awakening for him. He gives Harrison permission and tells him where to shoot him. With his dying breath after he’s shot he says, “You did good.” It’s absolution for what Harrison’s done.

DEADLINE: And Deb is right there.

PHILLIPS: Yes. Originally, I had written that scene to show Dexter pulling his hand away from Deb. But Jennifer said while we shooting, “What if I pull my hand away and release him?” That’s what we ended up using. It was much more powerful.

DEADLINE: What can you tease about Angela and Harrison’s lives after the episode ends?

PHILLIPS: With Harrison, we don’t know. But with Angela, if you recall, she calls in an officer-involved shooting. She’s going to say that she had to take out Dexter because there’s lots of evidence he murdered Logan (Alano Miller) and because Dexter is the Bay Harbor Butcher. And Dexter probably killed Matt (Steve M. Robertson), though she’s not sure she can prove that.

I think Angela’s decision to let Harrison go was born of the horror that she had just witnessed. Her whole life has been this missing persons board and now all these women are dead. She needed humanity and maybe for maternal instinct to take over for justice—just this one moment of grace.

We know that the FBI and CSI and all of these people are coming to town and she’s going to have to deal with all of that. She’s going to have to talk about Dexter and she’s gonna have to talk about Logan. She’s probably going to lie and say she had to kill Dexter in self-defense.

Let’s not forget, this was her lover. She trusted this guy and she could’ve been another victim.

Mike86 01-09-22 09:45 AM

Spoiler:
I get what he’s saying about certain aspects. As much as I didn’t want it as a fan Dexter dying does make sense.

I still think a lot of aspects of this season were poorly written/rushed though.

Also I have little interest in a Harrison show at this point. Not really sure what it would be about or if he’s an interesting enough character to carry a show.

tiloup13 01-09-22 10:41 AM

The only way a new season with Harrison would work would be to have Dexter at his side and that's not gonna happen now. He's not interesting enough by himself to lead the show.

New Lurker 01-09-22 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 14037595)
Better than the original series ending. But hardly a “break the internet” type ending as Clyde Phillips teased last summer.

My thoughts exactly. I liked this ending far better than Season 8. I also thought this episode was the best of the season. Just really good tension building. But now that we see the series as a whole, it was pretty bland and predictable. Still enjoyed it and very much prefer this ending. But man it could have been so much more creative.

Case in point I saw one person's prediction to the ending that I am just accepting as the true reason for this season. I'll spoiler it so people don't read this far superior ended before watching the actual show ending lol.
Spoiler:
Iron Lake isn't a city. It's a prison. The reason they show Kurt in medical scrubs while working on his kills is because he is actually the medical personnel administering the lethal injection to Dexter. This fan prediction goes on to tie every single character from this season into a person from the prison during Dexter's death. This season is all a fever dream hallucination stemming from the injection.

Kurt is the one administering the injection. Angela is the head prison guard Dexter has a crush on. Teddy & Logan are the other prison guards. The rich oil tycoon they only show a couple times is the warden. Molly Park is a real reporter witnessing the execution to write a story about it. Angela's daughter is actually Astor. Ethan that got stabbed is actually Cody. They are watching the execution next to Harrison in the viewing room. The moment the white deer gets killed is the second the shot is injected. When Harrison shoots Dexter in the heart that's the moment his hallucinations end and he comes conscious again right before the moment of death and locks eyes with Harrison. It's a sadness that feels like getting shot through the heart.

The video goes into even more depth tying things together that happened this season and fits them into the hallucination. It's pretty wild. It fits so well I am just assuming this is what the show runner intended. And he just went so subtle with and chose not to reveal it. It just makes way too much sense to not be the real ending. Now if we get more Harrison seasons that blows my theory out of the water. But man what could have been. Just seeing quick cut shots of all the reveals flashing through before his heart stops. Just would have been perfect.

stingermck 01-09-22 11:14 AM

Whew this finale is getting drug just like Season 8.
Spoiler:
Fuck Harrison. I hated him since day 1, when they had the worst child actor in the world playing him. Current one sucks too. No way he can carry his own show.

Dexter killing Logan was sloppy. No way he would have done that. But Harrison needed motivation!

Killing Dexter, what a waste. And if Harrison had to do it, there are more creative ways.

And super cop from BFE solves the BHB case when no one else could?

New Lurker 01-09-22 11:18 AM

As far as more seasons...
Spoiler:
I literally can't come up with a single compelling idea to make more seasons work. Harrison doesn't know the code and kind of rejected killing. He also hates Dexter and killed him so he can't be the Harry for Harrison. I mean maybe he stays in Iron Lake and becomes a cop putting away the serial killers the right way? Not exactly very Dexter like. Maybe he moves to Miami and looks up Astor & Cody and one or both of them know the code like in the books? Doesn't really work from the pieces we have on the board currently.

Just don't see how they can continue with more seasons without Dexter. The Harrison actor just isn't strong enough to draw people in without an exceptional story. And they just don't have one left in this universe.

stingermck 01-09-22 11:22 AM

Michael C Hall, stop speaking directly to me :lol:
Spoiler:
He added, “People moaned about an ending that was admittedly open-ended and without any sense of closure. He flashed a Dexter-like smile: “I guess you have to be careful what you wish for.”

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...-c-hall-finale

Mike86 01-09-22 11:36 AM

In all honesty comparing the two finales while I had issues with the original finale now in hindsight I almost like it a tad bit more for the fact that it was more unpredictable.

Season eight was shit and I get why some people didn’t like the finale, but to me having Dexter end up all alone kind of worked. The new finale was more expected.

stingermck 01-09-22 11:42 AM

Batista's inbox:

dsa_shea 01-09-22 11:42 AM

That interview says the entire season takes place over two and a half weeks. Way too many things happen in that short amount of time for it to be anything close to plausible.

stingermck 01-09-22 12:45 PM

Mike86 01-09-22 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 14037699)

Ugh.. what now? Not sure what else is left to fuck up with this show. All I can think of is Harrison the spin-off.

Spoiler:
That or if we get some kind of follow-up with Batista in Iron Lake. Obviously Dexter is dead now so it wouldn’t be as interesting, but maybe there’s some meat on the bone for a wrap-up movie or something.

Dscarpad 01-09-22 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 14037670)
Batista's inbox:

shit I would’ve like to see that as a limited series

Osiris3657 01-09-22 09:27 PM

I was actually pretty bummed to see Dexter die. I had enjoyed this rebirth of Dexter and was hoping we'd be seeing him for a couple more seasons. Still, definitely a better ending than the lumberjack one.

mickey65 01-09-22 10:12 PM

I thought it was a pretty good ending. It all finally came to a head for him. He got sloppy, and I think Harrison showing up put him off his game due to his emotions taking over. Once Angela did that second interview with him and mentioned the Bay Harbor Butcher and Bautista, he knew he was fucked and got desperate when he had to kill Logan.

It was a fitting ending and I think Harrison was "cured" of his inner demons, like Lumen was after she was able to do what she needed to to be able to go on. You could see that slight look of relief on Harrison's face with that subtle smile as he drives away when the last of the letter is read, "I need to die so that my son can live..."

I thought I would hate the ending after seeing all the spoilers all day on-line about what was going to happen. But after watching it with my own eyes, I thought it was pretty good. Everything was resolved for me, especially the scene when Angela got into Kurt's "tomb" and saw all the girls she recognized that she was investigating!

I keep thinking about the scene from when LaGuerta was shot by Deb and how she kept yelling at Deb to shoot Dexter, "Put him down! He needs to be put down!" ....and that's what Harrison finally did.

Coral 01-09-22 10:29 PM

Would loved to have seen Batista and Dexter meet up.

There was really no way else for this to end for Dexter. He's basically Walter White... not supposed to be a bad guy, but his selfishness has hurt a lot of innocent people over and over - which makes him bad. Killing Logan was the final straw for me - no excuse for that. When he came to his realization, he thought about the innocent people he hurt - but why is Lundy part of that? I don't think he was even close to responsible for his death. Glad Doakes is off the hook for the BHB.

Isn't Angela going to cover for Harrison? There's really nothing tying Harrison to Dexter's death - as long as Angela does some minor covering up... and Harrison can't be blamed for anything else. So why did she tell him to get away? Weird that they're showing Harrison looking at the town he's leaving trying to show his emotions. I can understand his attachment to the chick - hence showing him looking at her room... but the school, the diner, and everything else? He was only there for 3 weeks or so... it's a little too dramatic for that. And it wasn't for the viewer - not going to get emotional about anyone else or the setting as we've only lived with it for 10 episodes.

And I think it's plausible for Angela to tie the BHB to Dexter... there's enough to make her think it.

Coral 01-09-22 10:34 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 14038005)
Everything was resolved for me, especially the scene when Angela got into Kurt's "tomb" and saw all the girls she recognized that she was investigating!

I liked the scene, except that she states the name of the victims out for the viewer (their full name at that) - even though they flashed the missing bulletin or actual scene with the person to let us know who they were. We didn't need to hear the names - the flashback stuff was good enough... and it's not realistic that someone say their names out loud when they're by themselves in shock.

Mike86 01-09-22 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by Coral (Post 14038010)
And I think it's plausible for Angela to tie the BHB to Dexter... there's enough to make her think it.

The thing is there was a way to have had her make that connection. The show didn’t do a good job at that though. Made it way too convenient. If not for the search she did about ketamine, which again wasn’t even what he used she would have never made the connection.

Other than that what did she have that made her think the Bay Harbor Butcher was still at large? Sure Matt went missing, but his body wasn’t found. There weren’t other dismembered bodies showing up. Dexter didn’t keep trophies anymore so no blood slides for her to have found.

That whole part with her on the phone with Batista was stupid not only because there was no payoff to it, but she says something along the lines of there being similar murders in Iron Lake to those of the Bay Harbor Butcher. There really weren’t though (at least not to her knowledge). The drug dealer Dexter killed was injected with the ketamine, but aside from that it was the only connection to have been maybe made.

andicus 01-09-22 11:36 PM

Well that fucking sucked...

Feels like a waste of a decent season, and now no chance for more. A Harrison spinoff? No thanks. Michael C. Hall is what made this interesting. I really DGAF about the Harrison character, and didn't care much for the actor.

And Angela is going to cover up that killing? Good luck with that. Ballistics showing it was Harrison's rifle, Harrison fucking off right after the killing, his truck tire tracks leading up to the scene of the killing? Just stupid. It would've been easier/better to frame it as a self-defence killing.

Also, how did Angela know where to find them? Sure, there would be a tracker on Logan's car, but it looked like Dexter ran quite a way to meet Harrison. A minor quibble about that, though.

Dexter would also have seen the rifle, since it was out in the open, and if he really wanted to get away, he would've done something to prevent Harrison from being able to shoot him.

windom 01-09-22 11:56 PM

I was thinking (or maybe just hoping) that Harrison would have killed himself, maybe because he didn't want to end up becoming like his father. That would actually be a more shocking ending. That would end up being the ultimate punishment for Dexter that he would have to live with if he had escaped Angela.

philo 01-09-22 11:59 PM

This is why you don't buy guns for your kids.

But really why did Dexter need to escape jail? Was the case at all solid? Because Batista was coming up with his folder of papers?
It felt really rushed and contrived. I didn't mind the actor playing Harrison but no way am I watching a show based around him. And what are they going to do make him a serial killer after the climactic scene had him declare he wasn't like his father? Sure it wasn't lumberjack bad but they sure didn't stick the landing.

I think one of the goofiest moments was the suspended animation trophy walk through. When they get to Molly a character everyone is familiar with at this point they felt it necessary to show a flashback of her downing a cocktail and being annoying even without sound.

Coral 01-10-22 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 14038023)
The thing is there was a way to have had her make that connection. The show didn’t do a good job at that though. Made it way too convenient. If not for the search she did about ketamine, which again wasn’t even what he used she would have never made the connection.

Other than that what did she have that made her think the Bay Harbor Butcher was still at large? Sure Matt went missing, but his body wasn’t found. There weren’t other dismembered bodies showing up. Dexter didn’t keep trophies anymore so no blood slides for her to have found.

That whole part with her on the phone with Batista was stupid not only because there was no payoff to it, but she says something along the lines of there being similar murders in Iron Lake to those of the Bay Harbor Butcher. There really weren’t though (at least not to her knowledge). The drug dealer Dexter killed was injected with the ketamine, but aside from that it was the only connection to have been maybe made.

Angela was hella suspicious of Dexter because he changed his name and ran. She finds out about the messed up stuff back in Miami. Then Molly's podcast tells her that Doakes had alibis for one/some of the killings and that someone else in the Miami Metro was the killer. She finds that Dexter poked they guy with something like a syringe, the same day he gets ketamine... and the BHB injected his victims. The drug deal died of a ketamine OD even though he had no ketamine at his place. Then she gets a letter saying he killed Matt... and then she finds the pins. Angela may not have enough to prove it in a court of law yet, but she's going with her gut because otherwise it would be a helluva coincidence otherwise. And as for the ketamine/M99 thing... I think the writers just retconned the drug they used in the original series.

And I agree that Angela could've helped Harrison use a self-defense reason for killing Dexter. With the truth about Dexter about to be out - the self-defense angle would make sense.

I really don't see a continuation of the show with Harrison. There's nothing there at all. No story and limited character.

Mike86 01-10-22 12:25 AM

Angela was suspicious of Dexter changing his name, but really the ketamine is what did him in. I think she kind of bought into the story he told her about why he moved and changed his name.

I have a problem with the M99/ketamine retcon. Just because it’s such a big factor into the story and Dexter getting caught. Angela shouldn’t have been able to connect those dots, but the show just wants us to forget that detail.

Even though I seem to remember Dexter even mentions the fact that he has to use a different drug because he doesn’t have police credentials anymore. Lazy writing.

The letter Angela receives saying Jim is Matt’s killer sure okay. Something to go with but no proof until she subsequently is able to find the screw at Dexter’s cabin almost instantly is also so dumb. In all that burnt up mess that one little thing is just conveniently found.

Also I thought Molly actually had something else on the Bay Harbor Butcher case. All it turned out to be is that someone else in Miami Metro was suspected, which isn’t a shocking revelation.

Throwing Copper 01-10-22 03:06 AM

I really liked this episode and the whole season.

That being said, why on earth did showtime put this one out early. So fuxking stupid.

There were some eye rolling moments in the execution of this finale too.

But I loved Dexter dying. It was emotional seeing this character we have all kinda like and kinda hated go down.

thwy could have executed that a little better too. Not have him stand there like Ben Kenobi and Vader in Star Wars.

they would be so dumb to continue this without Michael C Hall. He’s a good actor. A lot of the chumps they filled out the cast with are not.

mickey65 01-10-22 09:15 AM

Looks like the big announcement for today was how the Blue-Ray DVD for the series will be coming out in March...:lol:

uteotw 01-10-22 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 14037985)
I was actually pretty bummed to see Dexter die. I had enjoyed this rebirth of Dexter and was hoping we'd be seeing him for a couple more seasons. Still, definitely a better ending than the lumberjack one.

Agreed on all counts. I wasn't expecting this, and it sucks because I was really hoping for some more seasons. Harrison sure went fast from wanting to hurt people and being on board w/Dexter to killing Dexter.