Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Squid Game (Netflix)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-21, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts
Squid Game (Netflix)

A mysterious invitation to join the game is sent to people at risk who are in dire need of money. 456 participants from all walks of life are locked into a secret location where they play games in order to win 45.6 billion won. Every game is a Korean traditional children’s game such as Red Light, Green Light, but the consequence of losing is death. Who will be the winner, and what is the purpose behind this game?

Has anyone here tried watching this? This is currently the #1 show on Netflix worldwide and Netflix is touting that this could be the #1 most viewed series ever.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/business/...g.cnn-business

It's a 9 episode season from South Korea.

I never heard of it until it started generating a lot of buzz recently. I can barely keep up with the new Netflix originals, but I'm going to have to see this now.

I know most here are overwhelmed with shows, so I understand if this wasn't really on anyone's radars here.
Old 09-29-21, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Squid Game (Netflix)

NY Post just had an article that some poor woman had the phone number that was shown in the series - she is getting thousands of calls.

https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/how-ne...und-the-world/

During scenes featured in the first and second episodes, potential players are ordered to use a specific phone number to confirm their participation in the life-or-death competition. Turns out it is a real phone number.

Surely unbeknownst to writers and producers, one such numeric sequence indeed belonged to that of a South Korean woman, later revealed to be business owner Gil-Young Kim, in Seongju, North Gyeongsang Province, according to SBS News.

Last week, she told Money Today that she had received thousands of calls and text messages to the number, up to 4,000 in one day, she claimed.

“I have been receiving endless calls and text messages,” she told one local outlet, according to a report by the Korean Herald. “I have been using this number for more than 10 years, so I am quite taken aback.”

“To the director of the show — please reach out to me. This is so upsetting,” she added, but producers allegedly told her to “change the number” instead.

Meanwhile, a representative of the show told StarNews, “Netflix and Cyron Pictures, the producer of ‘Squid Game,’ are aware of the problem and are working to solve it.”

According to Koreaboo, which translated a report by South Korean outlet Osen, those efforts have included the promise of compensation — first, offering 1 million South Korean won (KRW, about $847), then 5 million (about $4,240) when the first offer fell flat. Negotiations for restitution remain ongoing, according to multiple outlets.

Old 09-29-21, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Finish watching all episode pretty dark not sure about the ending, maybe there a season two?
Old 09-29-21, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Holy shit. The first episode was crazy. The body count Pretty sadistic.
Old 09-29-21, 06:30 PM

Received 4,583 Likes on 3,102 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I can barely keep up with the new Netflix originals, but I'm going to have to see this now.

I know most here are overwhelmed with shows, so I understand if this wasn't really on anyone's radars here.
Watch less CBS shows.

I will check this out. South Korea puts out some good stuff.
Old 09-29-21, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I remember thinking this looked a lot like As The God's Will, but it looks fun.

Old 09-29-21, 07:39 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

It's gotten so big that even John Campea is talking about it.

Old 09-29-21, 07:49 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm through 2 episodes.

It's hard to root for the main character. He's such a pathetic loser.

Episode 2:
Spoiler:

The contestants voted to abandon the game and go back to their lives. Turns out their lives suck. The main character is in heavy debt and now his Mom needs medical attention that he can't afford.

So everyone decides to go back into the game at the end. The main character is so unlikeable and he had the nerve to see his ex wife and beg for money. Then he decks his ex wife's new husband after he offered to pay the money for his Mom. Just hard to root for the guy.

I feel like a lot of this is a social commentary about the poor and rich along with mixing in sadistic violence like Battle Royale.

I don't think I can finish all 9 tonight, but I'll try to watch a few more.

Old 09-29-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
It's gotten so big that even John Campea is talking about it.

He never heard of the show until a week ago when he viewers started asking him about it. Then he said he binged the entire season.
Old 09-29-21, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

How is this catching on so quickly?
Old 09-29-21, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/09/squid-g...gs-1234846276/

The show is Number 1 in 90 countries

Old 09-29-21, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
It hooked me pretty quickly and I just finished watching the entire series. It helps that I was stuck in hotels the past few nights. I think it also helped that I knew nothing about it going in...just started it on a lark.
Old 09-29-21, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
TikTok. Material based on the show (vie mentions, clips, memes, etc; ) exceed 12.9 billion views now.

I've never heard of that Honeycomb game but that was the most stressful version of it.

Last edited by RichC2; 09-29-21 at 11:23 PM.
Old 09-29-21, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Yeah this has been getting some buzz (online anyway) lately. I'll try to check it out soon.

Another foreign show (Japanese) that came out a few months ago on Netflix, Alice in Borderland, got some popularity when it was released too. Been meaning to check that out as well.
Old 09-29-21, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

He never heard of the show until a week ago when he viewers started asking him about it. Then he said he binged the entire season.
I don't think anyone really heard of the show until a week and a half ago when it launched. It even caught Netflix and all their algorithms off guard.
Old 09-30-21, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Watched all 9 episodes that 1st day this aired. Really enjoyed it.
Old 09-30-21, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I'm watching... I know it's dubbed but if the words are even close to what the characters are actually saying, the dialogue is atrocious. That said, the premise is decent enough that I'll finish this. And as others have mentioned, the main character is a dickface --- so he's impossible to root for.
Old 09-30-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

I'm through 2 episodes.

It's hard to root for the main character. He's such a pathetic loser.

Episode 2:
Spoiler:

The contestants voted to abandon the game and go back to their lives. Turns out their lives suck. The main character is in heavy debt and now his Mom needs medical attention that he can't afford.

So everyone decides to go back into the game at the end. The main character is so unlikeable and he had the nerve to see his ex wife and beg for money. Then he decks his ex wife's new husband after he offered to pay the money for his Mom. Just hard to root for the guy.

I feel like a lot of this is a social commentary about the poor and rich along with mixing in sadistic violence like Battle Royale.

I don't think I can finish all 9 tonight, but I'll try to watch a few more.

That is killing me. I am half way through the first episode and I fucking hate the guy and his atrocious acting. I assume it gets better. But if there is a season two and it ends on a cliffhanger. Nope.

Old 09-30-21, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He's more likeable starting in episode 3. Episode 2 made it impossible to give a shit about him.
Old 09-30-21, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm watching... I know it's dubbed but if the words are even close to what the characters are actually saying, the dialogue is atrocious. That said, the premise is decent enough that I'll finish this. And as others have mentioned, the main character is a dickface --- so he's impossible to root for.
Are you watching the English dub? Because there is the original Korean language track with subtitles.
The following users liked this post:
Abob Teff (10-03-21)
Old 09-30-21, 03:41 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I'm watching... I know it's dubbed but if the words are even close to what the characters are actually saying, the dialogue is atrocious.
If you think the dialogue is atrocious in the early episodes, wait until you get to the VIPs. Their dialogue is off-the-charts cringeworthy.
The following users liked this post:
spainlinx0 (10-12-21)
Old 09-30-21, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

I guess I got sucked into another series.
Old 09-30-21, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Yeah, now I'm curious if it's the dub that has a weird translation or if it's the same for a sub (or if this is dubtitled)
Old 09-30-21, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

Finished this series in record time. Three days. I don't think I've ever done that.

Love these quirky South Korean series. This is one is top notch entertainment and immensely gratifying.

Check it out!
Old 09-30-21, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, now I'm curious if it's the dub that has a weird translation or if it's the same for a sub (or if this is dubtitled)
It's the dub. The subtitles and dub don't sync up at all (you have to use the CC subs for the dub).

I wonder if they dubbed the English too.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.