TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Squid Game (Netflix)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-21, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Re: Squid Game (Netflix)

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Finally finished the first episode. Fell asleep during the second.

I'm trying...
The 2nd was the slowest episode of the series, an important one for character development but definitely a wrench in the build up from episode 1
Old 10-07-21, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

Netflix to edit out phone number seen in Squid Game after individual is flooded with prank calls.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...164859703.html
Old 10-07-21, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Please be VERY sensitive with your conversations! Some of you have let small things inadvertently slip already! This is why I hate full season threads.

Maybe indicate what episode you are discussing out of spoiler tags so that people can decide to read it or not, like DJariya did ...

Re: your spoiler on episode 2 ...

Spoiler:
The husband didn't offer him the money for his mother's surgery ... he offered him the money to never contact his daughter (and ex) again. That's why he slugged him and refused the money.

So far, I am finding the commentary on systemically crippling debt to be pretty spot on. Like gambling, debt begets more debt begets more debt ... the big payoff is always right around the corner. It totally makes sense (episode 2 spoiler)

Spoiler:
to allow the players to go back home after seeing half of them killed. At that point the person thinks "Paying my debts isn't worth getting killed for!" They are sent home, reminded of the dire circumstances of the real word ... with that big payoff being dangled in front of them. They are reminded they have no real hope, so they jump back to the only realistic shot at hope. Them going back makes total sense. It wasn't a dick thing at all.

The questions my housemates and I have are "Didn't they give the money to the families of the deceased already?" It was unclear just how much time passed from them leaving to them going back. Also, "What happened to the few who did not go back?"

Spoiler:

Yeah, about refusing the money I thought that was understandable. It wasn't that he was ungrateful, he was ticked at the fact that this guy thought he could be bought off like that and not care about his daughter. I think it did help him be a lot more sympathetic in that episode once the mother's condition comes out and becomes the reason for his desperation, especially after that first episode where it was hard to root for him. I also liked that he at least initially chose not to play because I thought for sure the gambling side of him would win out.

I did like that they released them all and then the vast majority realized how screwed they really were and that there just was no hope. I mean what choice does the MC have, if he doesn't get the money his mom dies and his organs get harvested anyway, and it really does feel like there's no way out except for this fighting chance. Agreed about what happened to the money that was supposed to go to the victims... though it would probably help a lot if the subtitles gave some indication of won to US dollar conversion. They big bad did mention that the ones who did not come back had to be watched, but I guess they do actually want you there of your free will.

I'm up to episode 6 I think, and it's holding my interest. As someone said before, it reminds me a lot of "As the Gods Will" (especially the original manga) mainly because of the first game and the children's game theme in general, as well as other Japanese manga based stories like Kaiji and Liar Game. Creator denies being influenced by these in particular, though.
Old 10-07-21, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

Also shares some thematic elements from Alice in Borderland.
Old 10-07-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Pretty sure
Spoiler:
those silly VIP masks would preclude you from drinking out of a glass.

So stupid. Every aspect of the VIP stuff from the acting to the storyline brought the show down in quality.
Old 10-07-21, 06:00 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I watched the first episode during lunch today. Korean with English subs... thanks to the early comment about the bad English script.

Quite interesting so far.
Old 10-08-21, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,302 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by kahuna
Netflix to edit out phone number seen in Squid Game after individual is flooded with prank calls.
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...164859703.html
I'm surprised it was there in the first place. This is why they would always use fake phone numbers and car plates.
Old 10-11-21, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Finally finished it.

That end was like a twist just for the sake of a twist...

Spoiler:

Unless Il Nam didn't mind truly perishing what the hell was he going to do had that tug of war gone the way it was most likely going to? Are we supposed to somehow sympathize with his point that he never forced people to participate?

Also, if Gi hun never touched the money at all, how the hell did he keep his organs? And if he did touch it why not use it for others except a year later?

Also there's this whole concept of "everyone has an equal chance" but they might as well not have put that in there because it just highlighted to me the unfairness evident in almost every one of these games. There were maybe three that didn't rely on brute strength or at least were greatly assisted by brute strength. Women had no chance in most of them, including the extra curricular activities, and they even point this out. And then you have that
Spoiler:
glass shard

I was also expecting them to at least mention
Spoiler:
why a previous winner was the "head man" and when not in the game seemingly lived in a tiny apartment with no money, unless he was tapped on the shoulder just for this game (which given his role doesn't seem likely)
Old 10-11-21, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Finished this yesterday. Thought it was very entertaining.

Season 1 spoilers:
Spoiler:
When it was revealed that the brother was the 2015 winner, I instantly guessed that he was the game host.

However, I thought an additional twist was going to be that the Squid Game winner gets to choose between taking home the jackpot or killing the host and taking on the new role (offers power and wealth). I thought maybe the subsequent winners (2016, 2017, etc) turned down killing the host and opted for the jackpot.

Old 10-11-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, I definitely completely missed that first part!
Old 10-11-21, 11:05 AM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Wrapped it up yesterday and enjoyed it overall. The second episode does suck a lot of momentum that was built in the first, but I get why it was done.

Last edited by dex14; 10-11-21 at 02:09 PM.
Old 10-11-21, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
Finished this yesterday. Thought it was very entertaining.

Season 1 spoilers:
Spoiler:
When it was revealed that the brother was the 2015 winner, I instantly guessed that he was the game host.

However, I thought an additional twist was going to be that the Squid Game winner gets to choose between taking home the jackpot or killing the host and taking on the new role (offers power and wealth). I thought maybe the subsequent winners (2016, 2017, etc) turned down killing the host and opted for the jackpot.

That's the thing I found confusing...

Spoiler:

His brother is looking for him like he just disappeared recently, not six years ago. His landlady says that she doesn't check on the renters everyday but he stopped paying around a week ago, so he was either just paying rent at that hovel for fun or he was actually living really poor until he left to go lead the games. There are even dead goldfish in his room. There's no way he'd just leave a loose end dangling like that either not paying rent and leaving his belongings there

I thought they would reveal something like he's disgusted by money similar to Gi hun and decided to live like that except for when he's called back, but he seemed just as ruthless as everyone else involved in the games so it's not that.
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
mikehunt (11-07-21), MLBFan24 (10-11-21)
Old 10-11-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoiler:
They said a potential 2nd season would be about the current host, but yeah dude is ruthless - and I think the other guy is alive. The thing with the apartment made very little sense and I guess was supposed to be a poorly done red herring?

Last edited by RichC2; 10-11-21 at 11:52 AM.
Old 10-11-21, 01:21 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Finished the second episode last night. I had lowered my expectations after reading some of the comments here but I thought it was a helpful episode character-wise and thought it was just fine. Looking forward to watching ep #3 tonight.
Old 10-11-21, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It does feel like a series that would have a lot more discussion if (and I know I'm beating a dead horse here) it was dropped on a weekly basis instead of all at once. Heck, I avoided this thread for a while soon after it dropped because I wasn't sure what kind of spoilers wouldn't be behind tags (though you guys are awesome and everything was tagged).

I can also see some thinking that episode 2 was just kind of a waste of time, but it was a cool way of both going back and giving us some backstory on these people and showing how desperate they really are. Much better than choosing instead to start episode 1 a lot slower.
Old 10-11-21, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
Finally finished it.

Spoiler:

Unless Il Nam didn't mind truly perishing what the hell was he going to do had that tug of war gone the way it was most likely going to? Are we supposed to somehow sympathize with his point that he never forced people to participate?

Also, if Gi hun never touched the money at all, how the hell did he keep his organs? And if he did touch it why not use it for others except a year later?

Also there's this whole concept of "everyone has an equal chance" but they might as well not have put that in there because it just highlighted to me the unfairness evident in almost every one of these games. There were maybe three that didn't rely on brute strength or at least were greatly assisted by brute strength. Women had no chance in most of them, including the extra curricular activities, and they even point this out. And then you have that
Spoiler:
glass shard

I was also expecting them to at least mention
Spoiler:
why a previous winner was the "head man" and when not in the game seemingly lived in a tiny apartment with no money, unless he was tapped on the shoulder just for this game (which given his role doesn't seem likely)
Spoiler:
only the frontman in the black mask espoused the idea that the games are to give each of the contestants a fair chance. I am not sure even he believed it. The old man created the games because he wanted to have fun again and his attitude was to look down at the homeless man calling him filthy even on his deathbed. The VIPs were there to bet and watch a spectacle.So only the frontman believed in the equal chance stuff mixed with luck. Maybe the frontman tried to bring down the games but could not and decided it was best to try and change it from the inside.
Old 10-11-21, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally finished it.

Spoiler:

Unless Il Nam didn't mind truly perishing what the hell was he going to do had that tug of war gone the way it was most likely going to?

Spoiler:
There is a youtube video out there that shows that Il Nam was not padlocked to the rope like the rest of the players. If he lost - then he would probably jump to the side before the group fell down and a guard would probably 'execute' him on the platform (which is up very high away from the other players) and help him exit the game.
Old 10-11-21, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Aye. Here are screenshots of that game.

Spoiler:

You can definitely see the lack of lock around his wrist.

Old 10-12-21, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Interesting.

Been thinking about it and to me it feels like everything up to and including, I'll say, the marbles is excellent. Then to me it just starts going downhill fast, with the reveals just not living up to expectations. I think I'd feel differently if the creator had season 2 ready to go at least in his head but apparently that's not the case. So standalone it comes off as a bit unsatisfying. That might just be because of the hype, though. The best part about this is the character work and the setting/atmosphere, both of which are incredible.
Old 10-12-21, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, agree about the marbles episode being the jump the shark moment.
Old 10-12-21, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think the line "It's just like the model but bigger" was the exact moment for me.
Old 10-12-21, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think the line "It's just like the model but bigger" was the exact moment for me.
I wish I could turn on Korean language plus subs for the VIPs...
Old 10-12-21, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I wish I could turn on Korean language plus subs for the VIPs...

I agree - Once the VIPs arrived it seemed like they were meant to be 'over the top' American, stereotypical assholes to your average Korean viewer (they were rich, they seemed to be leaning gay (for what-ever reason - maybe they are seen as selfish in that culture, or maybe they think rich Americans are Gay??), southern accents, and male).

This is similar to the way a Bond villain is portrayed to American viewers.

Old 10-13-21, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
Yup, agree about the marbles episode being the jump the shark moment.

Yeah. Just finished episode 6 last night.

Meh...I will finish it but don't get what all the fuss is about. Every possible cliché in the book is used and the horrid acting ugh. I would never recommend it to anyone.

Old 10-13-21, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think at this point it's largely going to be a victim of it's own hype, as the most viewed Netflix series ever (or whatever that stat was). People are going to come in with expectations the show just can't meet. I mean I think it's a good show but it's obviously not perfect.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.