Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Squid Game (Netflix)

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Re: Squid Game (Netflix)

It's a decent show, but it really goes off the rails, and not in a good way at the end. Just completely directionless.
Old 10-13-21, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

I thoroughly enjoyed it, but I went in expecting to not like it.

To each their own. I had forgotten how quickly you forget you're watching subtitles.

Old 10-14-21, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I like this enough for what it was and would watch a S2... the actors - all of them - it's as if they watched ALL the Bruce Lee movies back-to-back as their acting lessons. Everything is over the top and things being said are not necessary in most cases. The subtitles didn't help... but when the socialite Americans came into the picture, that was pure ridiculousness.
Old 10-14-21, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Wow do the last 2 episodes suck. Ending was beyond stupid even for this show. IF you want a satisfying conclusion stay away. I would have.

Ultimately a complete waste of time.

The following users liked this post:
sleepyhead55 (10-16-21)
Old 10-14-21, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Holy shit. The first episode was crazy. The body count Pretty sadistic.
Yeah I am not going to read the entire thread to avoid being spoiled but not only the casual violence but the whole manic feel of the show is intense. Not sure if I like it but I will watch episode 2.Have only seen the first episode.
Old 10-14-21, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I really feel like we're at the point after the crest of the first hype wave where the second wave of people aren't going to like the show nearly as much.
The following users liked this post:
Chrisedge (10-19-21)
Old 10-14-21, 04:55 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,184 Likes on 836 Posts

Old 10-14-21, 05:30 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Walking into it not expecting much, I quite liked it (except for the VIPs… that was weird).

I had a feeling that Player 001 would pop up again since he was “shot” off camera.

While I liked it as a contained story… I’m a little bothered by the fact that in their “world”, people don’t realize that thousands of people go missing (456 people per game) in the last few decades. Law enforcement should be a little more curious than that.

I’m not sure a second season would work.
Old 10-14-21, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Walking into it not expecting much, I quite liked it (except for the VIPs… that was weird).

I had a feeling that Player 001 would pop up again since he was “shot” off camera.

While I liked it as a contained story… I’m a little bothered by the fact that in their “world”, people don’t realize that thousands of people go missing (456 people per game) in the last few decades. Law enforcement should be a little more curious than that.

I mean it's thousands of poor people, not like pretty white instagram "stars." If Gi Hun disappeared during the games, who would even notice? I think at some point they even said that most of them had entered into contracts to sell their organs for their debts anyway.

It also seems very likely to me that the police/governments are in on it.
Old 10-14-21, 05:37 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I mean it's thousands of poor people, not like pretty white instagram "stars." If Gi Hun disappeared during the games, who would even notice? I think at some point they even said that most of them had entered into contracts to sell their organs for their debts anyway.
Yeah, I see your point.

My jaw hit the floor when the cop walked into the file vault and saw volumes with the same year on the binding. But then when he looked at the list of winners, there was one per year. Didn’t quite jive with me. I would assume there is more than one game per year, but I might be wrong.
Old 10-15-21, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74

If you read the direction the writer/director wants to go for a second season it will be terrible anyway. I also did not like his explanation for the ending. Cop out.

Old 10-16-21, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Wow do the last 2 episodes suck. Ending was beyond stupid even for this show. IF you want a satisfying conclusion stay away. I would have.

Ultimately a complete waste of time.
I thought it was overhyped and tedious (the series in general). There were some nice scenes in the episodes but ultimately this was pretty mediocre and ended up being a waste of time, especially the last ep.
Old 10-17-21, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan
Finished up the show this morning and that was by far my least favorite thing about it.

Those characters absolutely drained the life out of every scene they were in.

Still enjoyed my time with it though.

Last edited by asianxcore; 10-17-21 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-17-21, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Really mediocre first two episodes, engaging middle set of episodes, but the final episode was a complete dud. Didn't help I was able to guess the two big twists, even though they were fairly obvious in hindsight even more.
Old 10-18-21, 02:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts

So, any chance this can live up to the hype if I watch now?
Old 10-18-21, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't think that last twist is obvious unless you are looking for a twist just for twist's sake, if that makes any sense. I still don't get why they put that in there, it completely ruined several things for me.

The most disappointing thing is that
Spoiler:
the explanation for the squid games is the most obvious one... rich people getting enjoyment out of poor people suffering. If you were to ask me to guess what the premise was that's what I would guess, and the only thing that would prevent me from guessing that is because it's so straightforward, you'd think they'd avoid it. But they lean into it. Even the whole "fairness" thing is basically a lie or, as someone said earlier, all in the mind of the Front Man

Like honestly that's where they needed a "twist" and they failed to deliver.
Old 10-18-21, 09:41 AM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Note: If you haven't watched all the episodes yet, don't watch this, as it contains a few spoilers.

Old 10-19-21, 01:42 AM

Received 1,919 Likes on 1,131 Posts

This show has made me wonder if we need to attempt individual episode threads even for bingeworthy short seasons. I'd love to talk about the show but already saw a spoiler or two in here when I'm only partway through so I'm only popping in to post this until I wrap up, likely this week. It's a bummer we don't have more ability to talk about it while we're experiencing it.
Old 10-19-21, 07:13 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

Originally Posted by story
This show has made me wonder if we need to attempt individual episode threads even for bingeworthy short seasons. I'd love to talk about the show but already saw a spoiler or two in here when I'm only partway through so I'm only popping in to post this until I wrap up, likely this week. It's a bummer we don't have more ability to talk about it while we're experiencing it.
Yeah, I avoid threads for miniseries until I finish the entire show for exactly that reason.
Old 10-19-21, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Yeah, I avoid threads for miniseries until I finish the entire show for exactly that reason.
Me too. If I feel like posting my thoughts I'll pop in and out but not read anything, which is a terrible way to have an actual conversation but there's no telling what you might see by accident.

As I said earlier, this is probably one of the series that would have actually done better as a week to week (and I know it did awesome in terms of viewership).
Old 10-19-21, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

Yup, I completely avoided this thread until I had finished this show once I knew I was going to sit down and watch it. I know people love the binge model, but I hate it for new releases for exactly this reason. It doesn't work for in person discussion, and it doesn't work on discussion boards.

When you try to discuss it in person, the first thing you have to ask is, "what episode are you on?" Then you might run into a person who doesn't understand spoilers, who proceeds to say something like, "oh so [blank] hasn't happened yet? You're going to love that part."

Last edited by spainlinx0; 10-19-21 at 10:46 AM.
Old 10-19-21, 10:33 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts

Finished it last night and thought the final episodes were better than expected. Several things still don't add up or make much sense, but I did enjoy the ride for what it was.
Old 10-19-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

I've read nothing in this thread. Just posted to say we started watching this and what the hell am I watching? What kind of nightmare train-wreck is this. Why would anyone watch this?

OK.. well.. on to episode 2..
Old 10-19-21, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spoilers as always with pitch meeting but once again they cover most of my gripes with the plotting:
The following 2 users liked this post by fujishig:
mikehunt (11-07-21), spainlinx0 (10-20-21)
Old 10-19-21, 04:32 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

‘They didn’t just pick us up off the street!’ Meet the globally derided Squid Game VIPs

As for the negative feedback about his role in Squid Game, Giuliano isn’t interested. “I ain’t complaining, baby!” he roars, gesticulating so wildly he sends his webcam flying. “I’m in the hottest show in the world. I got fanmail. Just today I got a woman who said: ‘Send me your autograph.’ So I did, and two hours later she sent me a photo where she had ‘Geoffrey Giuliano, VIP four,’ tattooed right across her forearm.” He pauses. “There have also been some sexual invitations, from males and females.”

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.