Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Squid Game (Netflix)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-21, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts
Re: Squid Game (Netflix)

Dubbed? Uggh. I guess I will pass. Netflix apparently has a hit though .
Old 10-01-21, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper
Dubbed? Uggh. I guess I will pass. Netflix apparently has a hit though .
Or just watch it in Korean with English Subtitles?
The following 3 users liked this post by RichC2:
Abob Teff (10-03-21), Pointyskull (10-03-21), Quack (10-13-21)
Old 10-01-21, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Are you watching the English dub? Because there is the original Korean language track with subtitles.
Yes, English dub... I watch almost everything with subtitles anymore. I don't know if I'm old and can't hear or if the sound mix is just off enough to make the words blur into the background music.
Old 10-01-21, 09:16 AM

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
Yes, English dub... I watch almost everything with subtitles anymore. I don't know if I'm old and can't hear or if the sound mix is just off enough to make the words blur into the background music.
I’m only younger middle age, and I have the same problem. Currently having it slightly with the Sopranos movie at times.

this show seems like it came out of nowhere
Old 10-01-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 236 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Boondock Saint
Yeah this has been getting some buzz (online anyway) lately. I'll try to check it out soon.

Another foreign show (Japanese) that came out a few months ago on Netflix, Alice in Borderland, got some popularity when it was released too. Been meaning to check that out as well.
Wonder if there a second season? There still some stuff that need to clear up plus the bikini girl was cute.
Old 10-01-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by dom56
Wonder if there a second season? There still some stuff that need to clear up plus the bikini girl was cute.
AIBL was renewed for a 2nd season in 2019, so who knows when it'll actually come out.
Old 10-01-21, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

I liked it. At least it wasn't Clickbait with that horrendous ending. So I wasn't wowed by the ending but I don't regret watching it. There he goes screwing his daughter again. Count me in for season 2.
Old 10-02-21, 02:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

South Korean ISP Is Suing Netflix Because Too Many People Are Watching Squid Game

https://gizmodo.com/south-korean-isp...eop-1847780899
Old 10-03-21, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 229 Likes on 157 Posts

Loved it!

A little bit of:

1. Battle Royale
2. Hunger Games
3. Hostel
4... and The Hunt
Old 10-03-21, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Yeah, just wrapped this up this morning. I started watching it Friday. The 4K DV / Atmos was fantastic. The only thing that sucked, due to how awful the dialogue and acting was, when the VIPs are introduced. Holy shit that was fucking atrocious. Good thing the rest of the show was great.
Old 10-03-21, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, English acting in Asian movies is always pretty rough for some reason. (Most likely that none of the directors are fluent speakers)

Last edited by RichC2; 10-03-21 at 04:14 PM.
Old 10-03-21, 04:06 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Just finished it. Enjoyed it a lot, and I like where they went with the finale, since the outcome of the game was pretty obvious from episode 1, not that that's a bad thing.
And yeah... The rarely spoken English is pretty bad, but that seems to be the case with a lot of primarily non-English shows/movies. You really just have to ignore it.
Good show overall. A 2nd season that picks up right where this season left off would be cool.

Interesting comments in this thread so far, too.
Old 10-03-21, 08:45 PM

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

Looks like Hollywood has already shot the remake. That was quick! (Nice to see Josh Hartnett making a comeback)

[Note: some spoilers in the video if you haven't seen Episode Six yet]

Old 10-03-21, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Please be VERY sensitive with your conversations! Some of you have let small things inadvertently slip already! This is why I hate full season threads.

Maybe indicate what episode you are discussing out of spoiler tags so that people can decide to read it or not, like DJariya did ...

I'm through 2 episodes.

It's hard to root for the main character. He's such a pathetic loser.

Episode 2:
Spoiler:

The contestants voted to abandon the game and go back to their lives. Turns out their lives suck. The main character is in heavy debt and now his Mom needs medical attention that he can't afford.

So everyone decides to go back into the game at the end. The main character is so unlikeable and he had the nerve to see his ex wife and beg for money. Then he decks his ex wife's new husband after he offered to pay the money for his Mom. Just hard to root for the guy.

I feel like a lot of this is a social commentary about the poor and rich along with mixing in sadistic violence like Battle Royale.

I don't think I can finish all 9 tonight, but I'll try to watch a few more.
Re: your spoiler on episode 2 ...

Spoiler:
The husband didn't offer him the money for his mother's surgery ... he offered him the money to never contact his daughter (and ex) again. That's why he slugged him and refused the money.

So far, I am finding the commentary on systemically crippling debt to be pretty spot on. Like gambling, debt begets more debt begets more debt ... the big payoff is always right around the corner. It totally makes sense (episode 2 spoiler)

Spoiler:
to allow the players to go back home after seeing half of them killed. At that point the person thinks "Paying my debts isn't worth getting killed for!" They are sent home, reminded of the dire circumstances of the real word ... with that big payoff being dangled in front of them. They are reminded they have no real hope, so they jump back to the only realistic shot at hope. Them going back makes total sense. It wasn't a dick thing at all.

The questions my housemates and I have are "Didn't they give the money to the families of the deceased already?" It was unclear just how much time passed from them leaving to them going back. Also, "What happened to the few who did not go back?"
Old 10-03-21, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,243 Likes on 854 Posts

Regarding the sub/dub ...

We watched the first episode with the dub and the English CC on. We shut the CC off pretty quickly because it wasn't matching up. Considering how horrible most dubs are, we didn't think it was too bad.

We did switch to the Korean language track with English CC for all other episodes though.
Old 10-03-21, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Regarding the sub/dub ...

We watched the first episode with the dub and the English CC on. We shut the CC off pretty quickly because it wasn't matching up. Considering how horrible most dubs are, we didn't think it was too bad.

We did switch to the Korean language track with English CC for all other episodes though.
The English subtitles were translated from Korean but the English (CC) are dubtitles, at least on my setup.

I finished this tonight and enjoyed it a great deal, kinda felt like they were going the Willy Wonka route for a minute there, but they went the Cyndi Lauper route instead.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-03-21 at 10:32 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Squid Game phone number turns out to be real, and a Korean man is bombarded with calls and texts
Old 10-04-21, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
The English subtitles were translated from Korean but the English (CC) are dubtitles, at least on my setup.

I finished this tonight and enjoyed it a great deal, kinda felt like they were going the Willy Wonka route for a minute there, but they went the Cyndi Lauper route instead.
Spoiler:
in episode 6. Il-Nam gives Gi-Hun his jacket with the #1 number in essence telling the workers Il-Nam is finished playing and passing his number/protected status to Gi-Hun and he seen wearing it throughout episode 6-7.

Old 10-04-21, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by chowderhead
Spoiler:
in episode 6. Il-Nam gives Gi-Hun his jacket with the #1 number in essence telling the workers Il-Nam is finished playing and passing his number/protected status to Gi-Hun and he seen wearing it throughout episode 6-7.

Spoiler:
I saw it as him throwing in the towel, but if he was passing on his protected status it was just for the one game (a gift to his Gganbu). Of course, Gi-Hun proved himself to be a bit of an ass which lessened the impact there.

IMO at least, but it would have been interesting if he somehow had gone first in the 5th game.

Last edited by RichC2; 10-04-21 at 01:15 PM.
Old 10-04-21, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Perkinsun Dzees
Looks like Hollywood has already shot the remake. That was quick! (Nice to see Josh Hartnett making a comeback)

[[b]Note: some spoilers in the video if you haven't seen Episode Six yet]

Is this real?!?!
Old 10-04-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,636 Likes on 2,609 Posts

Originally Posted by GatorDeb
Is this real?!?!
It's a Deep Fake video and a bad one.
Old 10-04-21, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's a Deep Fake video.
I want it so bad now!!
Old 10-04-21, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 274 Likes on 206 Posts

One of the VIP actors addresses the dialogue:

The following 2 users liked this post by bluetoast:
spainlinx0 (10-12-21), story (10-21-21)
Old 10-07-21, 04:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 362 Likes on 214 Posts

The Squid Game Cast Reveals All Including Origin of The Red Light, Green Light Doll | Tonight Show

Old 10-07-21, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 264 Likes on 192 Posts

Finally finished the first episode. Fell asleep during the second.

I'm trying...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.