The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) -- premieres 6/2/22

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-22, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts
Re: The Orville: New Horizons (Hulu) -- premieres 6/2/22

What about the sandwich.
The following 3 users liked this post by General Zod:
Deftones (07-07-22), tanman (07-09-22), The Cow (07-07-22)
Old 07-07-22, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 87 Likes on 64 Posts

Mercer you evil, evil man….

This episode reminded of the Nic Cage movie “The Family Man”
Old 07-07-22, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
What about the sandwich.
Season final!
Old 07-08-22, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by General Zod
What about the sandwich.
I was expecting egg salad to wreck the space-time continuim.

That was an interesting ethical take on time travel. Plus the explanation of going forward in time (and how it would explain how they get around the theory of relativity with the usual warp/light speed travel).
Old 07-08-22, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I was expecting egg salad to wreck the space-time continuim.

That was an interesting ethical take on time travel. Plus the explanation of going forward in time (and how it would explain how they get around the theory of relativity with the usual warp/light speed travel).
I didn't understand why they needed to go and explain to 2025 Gordon that they would go back to 2015 and bring him back to the future from that point. Obviously the 2025 Gordon didn't want to stay put and might try and stop them and it was a risk for them to do that as he pulled a phaser on them in that scene.

The whole interfering with the past during time travel isn't always thought out. Even if he stayed the rest of his life hidden in the cabin killing animals for food, that could have just as easily messed up the timeline. He could have killed an animal to eat that would have otherwise ended up killing a human who might now do something that drastically changes the timeline.
Old 07-10-22, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts

I absolutely LOVED this episode. The previous episode Lasting Impressions was one of my favorites so I was really surprised and happy to see a follow up episode. I've been obsessively listening to Leighton Meester's rendition of That's All I've Got to Say so the way they opened it up with Scott Grimes on the guitar was perfect. I would have liked to have gotten the whole song but what we got was nice. It was great seeing Leighton Meester again and to finally see Gorden end up with her in a happy life was such a great thing to see. I thought Scott Grimes did a great job in the episode I could really feel his desperation. The B story was ok. At least Charlie did slightly more then just act pissed off at Isaac all the time. I think it's telling that as hot as she is she really hasn't been a great addition to the cast. Of course looks are everything but her character is just really annoying and it's not believable at all that she as an ensign has some kind of ability to process information differently and faster then anyone else including Isaac? I wish they spent less time on the B plot and a little more time with Gordon and seeing his life. I really loved the explanation of being able to go forward in time by just going fast. It was kind of a unique way of using what is observed in real life. But I think they made an error in the technobabble. Lamar says that the closer they approach the speed of light the faster they'll experience time. So Quantum drive doesn't got faster then the speed of light? I don't think that's right or everything in the Orville universe is super close to each other.

I like how they ended the episode without really spelling out what happened to Gordon and his family. They hinted at it several times that he created a new timeline and he gets to live happily ever after with his family but they don't outright say that's what happened so they don't take away from the drama of their decision.

Definitely deserves a repost:

Last edited by tanman; 07-10-22 at 04:39 AM.
Old 07-10-22, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
I really loved the explanation of being able to go forward in time by just going fast. It was kind of a unique way of using what is observed in real life. But I think they made an error in the technobabble. Lamar says that the closer they approach the speed of light the faster they'll experience time. So Quantum drive doesn't got faster then the speed of light?
Quantum Drive goes much FASTER than the speed of light. You missed the line of dialogue that was really important to making Quantum Drive work. It creates a quantum bubble around the ship, removing itself from space/time so that you don't get that Einsteinian relativity effect moving you faster through time as you approach the speed of light. All they had to do to go to the future was turn the quantum bubble/field OFF. No one's going to use that in the future because they don't have the Aronov device to get back to their own time. Well, in theory no one would do that...
Old 07-10-22, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Love, love, love the “Twice in a Lifetime” episode.

Time travel? - check
24 alum - Leighton Meester? - check
Follow-up to my favorite episode? - check

I guess it goes against my complaint about repeating a story (like episode 5), but I’m being very bias here based on my reasons above.

Originally Posted by movieguru
I didn't understand why they needed to go and explain to 2025 Gordon that they would go back to 2015 and bring him back to the future from that point. Obviously the 2025 Gordon didn't want to stay put and might try and stop them and it was a risk for them to do that as he pulled a phaser on them in that scene.
As I remember, Issac called Mercer about finishing his mission in the middle of that 2025 heated conversation. So Mercer, if anything, was going to arrest Gordon and bring him back to the Orville, regardless if they could make it back to the future.

Last edited by MLBFan24; 07-10-22 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-11-22, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by B5Erik
Quantum Drive goes much FASTER than the speed of light. You missed the line of dialogue that was really important to making Quantum Drive work. It creates a quantum bubble around the ship, removing itself from space/time so that you don't get that Einsteinian relativity effect moving you faster through time as you approach the speed of light. All they had to do to go to the future was turn the quantum bubble/field OFF. No one's going to use that in the future because they don't have the Aronov device to get back to their own time. Well, in theory no one would do that...

Yeah I must have misheard it then. Because I got that about the quantum bubble but I also remember Lamar saying something about as they get closer and closer to the speed of light they'll speed through time. In other words they approach the speed of light not breaking it but I must have been wrong.
Old 07-11-22, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

As an aside I didn't know that Adrianne Palicki and Scott Grimes broke up just 2 months after their marriage, only for them to get back together....then divorce again after just 1 year of marriage. That's sad. I've been watching the two of them on screen thinking they were together. Too bad Leighton Meester isn't available could be a real life romance
Old 07-11-22, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
Yeah I must have misheard it then. Because I got that about the quantum bubble but I also remember Lamar saying something about as they get closer and closer to the speed of light they'll speed through time. In other words they approach the speed of light not breaking it but I must have been wrong.
Seth tries to keep his science as sound as possible (for a scifi show set in space). The speed of light is slow as a sloth when dealing with travel between star systems. Just getting outside of our solar system would take over a year.
Old 07-12-22, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Good episode.

I'll also go with the split timeline he got to stay with his family. They do fall into the whole, they could have never met his family if they went back and got him so alternate timelines.
Old 07-14-22, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 1,280 Likes on 731 Posts

I really enjoyed this episode with the background of Isaac and all that. This was also a bit funnier than usual and but they were able to keep the serious tone of the main storyline of the episode. Overall I'm enjoying this season quite a bit.
Old 07-14-22, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Yeah, episode 7 was another good one. Not as good as the previous three, but better than the first three this season. There was more humor, and I loved the flashbacks to Kaylon when the builders were there and how the android uprising started. That was great stuff. The Isaac emotion stuff was good, but predictable. John and Talla? Meh. Marginally funny, but really kind of sad.

Overall, it worked. I'm definitely buying this season on DVD/Blu if it comes out.
Old 07-14-22, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Why couldn’t Talla just let John plow her from whatever position without touching him too hard?
Old 07-15-22, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 280 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Why couldn’t Talla just let John plow her from whatever position without touching him too hard?
I thought about that and think that based on the fact that she has basically superhuman strength compared to an average person (even a physically fit person) that even "vanilla" sexual relations with her could lead to physical harm if she moves her body just a bit (perhaps involuntarily). I remember reading when I was a kid that with enough force behind it, a plastic straw could be punched through an oak tree during a tornado, and that fun fact has fascinated me to this very day. I think relations with Talla are like that, she moves/flexes even a tiny bit and what she touches gets slammed hard, and not in a fun way.

Poor John, he really wanted it to work, but even he knew he had to let it go. Constant trips to the med bay and the cumulative effects of having his bones reset (or teeth put back in his mouth, ouch) would just end up killing the guy sooner than later.

Also, great to learn more about why Isaac's race turned into such dicks.
Old 07-15-22, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,020 Likes on 630 Posts

I thought the plotline with the visiting female-dominant aliens and the crew of the Orville pretending that the Planetary Union males were also all subordinate was kind of dumb and predictable, like a scheme from Three's Company. Like, sure, let's lie to them about the nature of our whole society, then tell them we lied to them, and then they'll trust us, right? I did laugh, though, when one of the alien women was demanding to have Mercer as her sex slave for the night and Malloy quickly volunteered, "I'll do it!"
The following 2 users liked this post by Cellar Door:
mikehunt (12-04-22), tanman (07-19-22)
Old 07-15-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,819 Likes on 1,132 Posts

I like:
-Kalyon backstory. That's said..were did the droid get weapons? They built them with weapons to work as a servant?
-The Female Alien Culture. Waaaay easier to accept than Bortus' All Dick, I mean all dude... Culture. Just kidding
-Bortus' shady reactions to the Female centered culture.

Meh:
-John and Tall . that was out of nowhere. Didn't make sense. John should stay with that hot porcupine Chick.
-Grayson...she has been getting on my nerves since she interfered with Bortus' family.
-They shouldn't have lied to the Female Aliens.
Old 07-15-22, 05:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 700 Likes on 466 Posts

Around the middle of the episode everyone on the bridge turned around and looked at Bortus, and he said something like "what?". Then they suggested he leave the bridge, but I didn't catch why. What was that all about?
Old 07-15-22, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Around the middle of the episode everyone on the bridge turned around and looked at Bortus, and he said something like "what?". Then they suggested he leave the bridge, but I didn't catch why. What was that all about?
He is a male
Old 07-15-22, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 618 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by Cellar Door
I thought the plotline with the visiting female-dominant aliens and the crew of the Orville pretending that the Planetary Union males were also all subordinate was kind of dumb and predictable, like a scheme from Three's Company. Like, sure, let's lie to them about the nature of our whole society, then tell them we lied to them, and then they'll trust us, right? I did laugh, though, when one of the alien women was demanding to have Mercer as her sex slave for the night and Malloy quickly volunteered, "I'll do it!"
That was totally silly. Like they have no idea about the Union if they are negotiating some treaty.

On the bright side, the Ensign isn't a bigot anymore. Which was predictable.

And I feel bad for John.

Last edited by Red Dog; 07-15-22 at 06:17 PM.
Old 07-15-22, 06:16 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Deftones
He is a male
Other males were on the bridge at that time too, though. Mercer and Malloy were at the helm. Was it because of the station he was at?
Old 07-15-22, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by The Cow
Other males were on the bridge at that time too. Mercer and Malloy were at the helm. Was it because of the station he was at?
They were already leaving. He wasn't.
Old 07-15-22, 06:25 PM
Premium Member

Originally Posted by Deftones
They were already leaving. He wasn't.
Just watched that part again. It was right after Grayson made Mercer get out of the Captain's chair to go sit in the pilot chair. They stayed at the helm (Mercer and Malloy) and didn't leave.
Old 07-15-22, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk God

Ok maybe I misremembered that part, but the also made a comment about that new species hating Maclans.
The following users liked this post:
The Cow (07-15-22)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.