TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 41 -- Premieres 9/22/21

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-21, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 41 -- Premieres 9/22/21

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I guess I am missing something, but how did Erika damn near sweep this thing? I can't really recall her doing much during the season other than the obvious hourglass-breaking thing, which anyone would have done in her position, so she doesn't get credit for that.
Originally Posted by Bill Needle
I have no idea either. Since of course production knows who wins when they edit the episodes together it says a lot that they couldn't come up with anything to remotely give her a "winner's edit."

All I can come up with is that the jury just didn't care for Xander for some reason not apparent in the episodes. The hourglass thing was just ridiculous, and easily the most blatant production manipulation of an entire season of manipulations (and perhaps of any season). If that had anything to do with Erika winning then this was the dumbest jury ever.
I do think the Jury disliked Xander more than was apparent in the edit. But ultimately these are real people with feelings and despite all the talk about social awareness and the respect they all have for the game, they don’t like getting their feelings hurt. Erika did play a good game as she was on the right side of almost every vote and didn’t really visibly betray anyone. She was only really tight with Heather who she never voted out. She never alienated anyone, never appeared too cocky. Whenever someone got blindsided, there was always another face that person could point at and be mad — even as they all recognized her as a threat right since the merge.
I thought her game was pretty good, though it’s absolutely laughable that anyone would characterize her smashing an hour glass and giving herself immunity as a “big move”.
Would have been interesting to see if Ricard would have won if he made the final three.
Old 12-18-21, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

I'm fine with Erika winning. Sure, she played the "under-the-radar" game ... but that was probably what was best for her, and as Decker pointed out she played it well.

I had a long car ride yesterday and was listening to podcast interviews with the final five. As suspected, Erika was a lot more liked and Xander a lot more disliked than the tv coverage made it seem. Erika did get an odd edit for a winner, but I thought I saw somewhere how the production was making an effort to have things be less obvious and telegraphed.

Even in lesser seasons, I always enjoy this show and will keep watching. Doesn't sound there's anything crazy planned for next season. Preview snippet showed the return of the joint idol, where someone from each tribe had to say something stupid. That made me I love the one phrase someone is going to have to say next season:
Spoiler:
I have skin. Potatoes have skin. Does that mean I'm a potato?

Old 12-20-21, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

I was disappointed in the Erika victory and was hoping Deshawn would pull it out… even though Ricard was the deserving champion, IMO. Erika was so under the radar she was barely noticeable until the last 3 episodes.
Old 12-20-21, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

in a season of twists and turns and gimmicks, I think the best strategy would be a conservative one of sticking with your alliance and riding them to a victory. Xander was always on the outs and never quite formed the alliances needed to win since his tribe was the first one picked off. Erika played the safest route to a victory even if it was not very interesting or exciting.