TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Survivor Season 41 -- Premieres 9/22/21

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-21, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Re: Survivor Season 41 -- Premieres 9/22/21

Originally Posted by windom
So Jeff changes one of his iconic catchphrases because one guy didn't like it?
"Guys" is now offensive apparently.

Was zoning out, didn't even realize there was a former NFLer. He didn't get much air time and the other guys (can we say "guys" here?) seemed kinda passive but obviously it's early. The backstories, overdone talking heads were grating. Just weak personalities and everything felt neutered.
The following users liked this post:
uteotw (09-23-21)
Old 09-23-21, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 281 Likes on 233 Posts

The Come on in guys to Come on in thing is a big nothing burger I quickly moved on from. Survivor has been “woke” since the beginning having LGBTQIA+ contestants on so no big they removed guy from the catchphrase.

I actually liked the first episode and am curious to see how fast things really move since what, 13 days were chopped from the time they spend on the island.

ETA: I noticed that Windom was not happy with the highlight on back stories last night, but I would have been more surprised if we did not get this first "after school special" episode of Survivor, especially considering they filmed during a pandemic and well, at least one person on the island lost someone to Covid. Not shocking we got some of this last night, but I bet that due to the shortened season we get much less of this from this point forward and more focus on the gameplay. Also, at least one of the ladies with a backstory highlighted last night was eliminated from the game.

I know it is too early to fully form an impression of most of the candidates, but so far I do not actively dislike a handful of players, so that is cool.

In the past I felt that there was a lot of filler in Survivor, and some of the episodes that dragged had me thinking of the this film could have easily been shortened by 15-30 minutes and still been great saying, so now that nearly 2 weeks has been removed from the game time this shall be put to the test. Maybe a shorter season is just the refresh Survivor needed, or not. We shall see.

Last edited by Inhumans99; 09-23-21 at 10:12 AM.
Old 09-23-21, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Glad to see they're going more hardcore but we'll see how long that lasts. If it turns out that every challenge ends in a food reward then skipping the rice will be a non issue. And realistically I'm sure they're not going to let people starve to Alone-like levels.
Old 09-23-21, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 325 Likes on 243 Posts

I know Probst isn't a spring chicken anymore (he'll be 60 in November) but he looks like he's aged 10 years since the last Survivor.

Old 09-23-21, 04:03 PM

Shannon, I did notice that and I was thinking to myself, wow...Probst is starting to look like a much older dude. To be fair, while he does not actually play the game he is 60 and has spent most of his life in the elements so it tracks that he more or less looking like his age.

Also, Mugwump you are right in that they will constantly get food rewards throughout the show, but if the water barrel challenge was anything to go by the contestants will have to work hard for some nourishment. So I am okay with them getting fed all the time but I am also okay with them being put through the wringer to get fed especially considering the show is called Survivor.
Shannon Nutt (09-23-21)
Old 09-23-21, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Even though the show this season is 26 days as opposed to 39,if someone hypothetically won 10-12 food rewards(which would be a high amount) that is still a food reward at a ratio of less then once every 2 days. If you only getting 800-1000 calories a day at camp an occasional food reward isn't gonna stop you from feeling like you are going through the ringer physically and cause a lot of weight loss.
Old 09-24-21, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

The fact that they were, I believe, three days in before the first challenge yet no one looked weak from hunger leads me to believe they're eating more than just coconuts. The show said they weren't getting rice, not that they weren't getting anything. I have no faith in the show to be truthful so I'm skeptical.
Old 09-29-21, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

I thought this might be an episode where they go to tribal council just to get to know each other a little better, but luckily Probst explained to us viewers that someone will be getting voted out. Thanks for the info, Jeff! You might want to give that throat a rest though. You sounded kind of hoarse tonight.
Old 09-30-21, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

The number of unnecessary gimmicks this season is laughable. Secret phrases??
Old 09-30-21, 12:01 PM

Jeff does indeed need to give his throat a break, less screaming at the players during challenges (I am okay with that). Also, that teacher is so un-self aware of how lazy she came across to the viewing audience, much less her teammates it is not even funny, get a clue woman! She is on borrowed time and unless someone takes her to the end as an easy person to win against she is toast. I am fine with that, as there is nothing about her that makes me go dang, why did they have to vote her out so soon. I do like her teammate, Liana Wallace, who I think can go far in the game (I think the promo showing her freaking out is just a fake-out and she will be fine). Even the Pastor, Shantel, seems to be a player to root for.

Finally, the funniest line of dialogue on last nights episode was when Jeff said Welcome to Day 15...day 3 of the game, I did indeed laugh out loud at that.
Old 09-30-21, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
Fans have been complaining for years that the idols have been too easy to find, so this is what we get. I thought it was pretty great.
Boondock Saint (10-01-21)
Old 10-01-21, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Man that was a dumb decision they made in tribal. There had to be some reasoning behind not voting out Xander before he gets super powerful besides Tiff freaking out, but I still don’t get it. @ Jeff still being amazed that Voce knew what 1/6 is as a percentage, even days later. Is it really that astonishing a feat divide 1 by 6?

Also for super-fans I recommend the Ringer podcast The Pod Has Spoken. Hosted by former winner Tyson, it’s a fun listen and give good behind the scenes info about the show.
https://open.spotify.com/episode/7Aa...3w&dl_branch=1
Old 10-01-21, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Man that was a dumb decision they made in tribal. There had to be some reasoning behind not voting out Xander before he gets super powerful besides Tiff freaking out, but I still don’t get it.
If there is a merge or a swap, Xander can't even help because his vote doesn't count. I don't get their decision either.
Old 10-01-21, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I assume it was just because Tiffany was freaking out about the three-part idol. Just one more reason she’s useless.

So does Xander need to throw out that random phrase at every challenge? That won’t be suspicious at all. Maybe he can just wait till the next person speaks up.
Old 10-04-21, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I know Tiffany said her shorts were chaffing, but I don't see how she couldn't straddle the balance beam and crawl across the first time. Didn't it take her at least four times? That's ridiculous. She needs to go.
Old 10-04-21, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Originally Posted by davidh777
I assume it was just because Tiffany was freaking out about the three-part idol. Just one more reason she’s useless.

So does Xander need to throw out that random phrase at every challenge? That won’t be suspicious at all. Maybe he can just wait till the next person speaks up.
So thanks to Xander's blabbermouth tribemate even if the idols become activated everyone will know exactly who has them so any chance to leverage that info was stupidly thrown away.
Old 10-04-21, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Needle
So thanks to Xander's blabbermouth tribemate even if the idols become activated everyone will know exactly who has them so any chance to leverage that info was stupidly thrown away.
Yep. While the gimmick povided a measure of entertainment--seeing this random phrase brought up (and I thought the guy did a good job fitting it in), it really is burying that guy's chances by taking away his vote indefinitely. And his choice to share the info will potentially have negative consequences for some others going forward.
Old 10-07-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

It seems like all these goofy risk/advantage tasks are just a way to fill time in the show so they don't have to build and shoot a reward challenge. It probably helps with the shortened schedule that way also.
Old 10-07-21, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Brad finds the "beware" advantage, attempts the goofy phrase (though he butchered it) and is voted out. No word, but one would have to assume that gets put back into play.
Old 10-07-21, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

I assume Brad could have used his "steal a vote" last night and tied it up. Always a bummer to go home with an unused advantage available.
Old 10-07-21, 03:46 PM

I think Brad went home with what, three(!) unused hidden idols/advantages, the steal a vote, the 3 way advantage, and I forget what the 3rd one was but could swear he had found a third idol/advantage. Incredible. He must have gone all in on trusting one particular castmate and just got so unlucky relying on that person to not turn on him. So far, so good...enjoying the season. I actually like that there is not an immediate Rob/Coach/Russell/etc. hero/villain to root for, it is just a bunch of folks doing what they think is necessary to stay in the game. Kind-of refreshing and also glad that a shortened season means slightly less filler as we quickly hurtle towards the final episodes.
Old 10-09-21, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I assume Brad could have used his "steal a vote" last night and tied it up. Always a bummer to go home with an unused advantage available.
I think he said he couldn’t steal because the unactivated three-part idol cost him his vote.
Old 10-10-21, 08:07 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
Fans have been complaining for years that the idols have been too easy to find, so this is what we get. I thought it was pretty great.
Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
I agree about the gimmicks and twists...I really don't think it's needed. If the producers think that is the key to keeping people interested I think that's a huge mistake.

It's always been about CASTING! Give me a villain you love to hate like Richard Hatch or Jeri Manthy or Russell or a loveable good guy you want to see win like Tony Vlachos or Colby or Rupert and just play old-school Survivor with a reward and an immunity challenge every episode. Make them eat gross shit and give away a car again and the viewers will come!

I don't see any memorable personalities in this bunch at all....
The following 2 users liked this post by bluesix:
Finisher (10-10-21), Spiderbite (11-12-21)
Old 10-10-21, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
I don't see any memorable personalities in this bunch at all....
Yep, none of these people stand out and that's been the case on most recent seasons. I bet a lot (almost all) of the big personalities of seasons past would not be cast today. They wouldn't get past the psych testing/social media background checks/not PC or SJW enough.
Old 10-10-21, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,209 Likes on 4,236 Posts

Considering that their last season with new players was totally overshadowed by sexual harassment claims, I don't think stringent background checks are a bad idea for this show.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.