DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,353 Likes on 978 Posts
re: SNL General Discussion Thread

‘SNL’ writers to ‘boycott’ Dave Chappelle’s return as host: report
Old 11-11-22, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 7,132 Likes on 4,840 Posts

Deceptive headline. Sounds like no writers will work with him, the article only sites one writer who doesn't even state that they won't, just that transphobia is murder, apparently protesting Chappelle.
I never got the outrage. He's a comedian doing some transphobic material in his act. He does lots of offensive stuff. Such is the nature of stand-up. I don't always agree with him, but he's pretty funny usually.
Old 11-11-22, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

A lot of comedians are funny without resorting to trans-hate. He can be just as funny without it. But he wants to continue doing it.
The following 2 users liked this post by TomOpus:
John Pannozzi (11-23-22), jpcamb (11-12-22)
Old 11-11-22, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by TomOpus
A lot of comedians are funny without resorting to trans-hate. He can be just as funny without it. But he wants to continue doing it.
No doubt. I wish he would drop that stuff. But he's gonna do whatever he wants as long as Netflix keeps paying him.
For the record, I saw him on that tour he did that became his last Netflix special. They edited some of his material out and without it, his routine seemed far more trans-centric than it did in person. At least it did to me. My son who didn't go with us watched it and was horrified, which wasn't the reaction of my super-woke daughter who did go to the concert.
Old 11-11-22, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,263 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
Deceptive headline. Sounds like no writers will work with him, the article only sites one writer who doesn't even state that they won't, just that transphobia is murder, apparently protesting Chappelle.
Deceptive headline is not strong enough.

This is total BS coming from agenda-driven online media. Only one SNL writer has even spoken publicly about this, and does not even address Chappelle's hosting directly. There is no boycott. It's all a fiction spun based on one staff writer's social media post.
Old 11-14-22, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I see comments, here and elsewhere, that Sarah Sherman should be promoted to Update anchor, usually accompanied by comments that Jost and Che should be ready to "move on."

If one assumes, and I do, that Lorne Michaels just wants to keep the ship afloat until 2025, then there is no reason for him to want Jost and/or Che to go.

And maybe Michael Che has an itch to spread his creative wings, but why would Colin Jost want to leave SNL?

Unless something happens to Seth Meyers, there's not a better job waiting for Jost out there. He doesn't want to live somewhere else. And he doesn't need more money. He gets 3-4 months off every year. He gets to be famous but not too famous. He's secure enough in his job to happily let other cast members mock him
Old 11-14-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

After watching this week's WE with Sarah having her own background and pretty much killing it for her segment, I almost felt like Che had an 'oh shit' look on his face as they wrapped up the segment. She may be one of the strongest players on the show right now.
Old 11-14-22, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jpcamb
After watching this week's WE with Sarah having her own background and pretty much killing it for her segment, I almost felt like Che h.ad an 'oh shit' look on his face as they wrapped up the segment. She may be one of the strongest players on the show right now.
Weekend Update has been a specific kind of segment, with a specific style and sensibility, for over 20 years.

What Sarah Sherman does is funny and disruptive, but if they tried that every week and for more than a few minutes, it would wear out its welcome fast.
The following users liked this post:
Jonno2006 (11-14-22)
Old 11-14-22, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,041 Likes on 786 Posts

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
What Sarah Sherman does is funny and disruptive, but if they tried that every week and for more than a few minutes, it would wear out its welcome fast.
This. They were among the funniest Weekend Update "guests" of all time, but I couldn't stand it if the entire WU segment featured Roseanne Rosannadanna, Raheem Abdul Mohammed, Joe Piscopo's Saturday Night Sports, Operaman, or David Spade's Hollywood Minute.

Part of the appeal of a character like Rosannadanna was how she played off of Jane Curtin's straightwoman, and Sarah Sherman's WU bits are the same; she's playing off Colin Jost. You need both for it to be funny, and not annoying.
Old 11-23-22, 04:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 842 Likes on 687 Posts

This was a awkward interview

Don't follow Ziwe but guess this is part of her shtick?

Old 11-23-22, 06:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
This was a awkward interview

Don't follow Ziwe but guess this is part of her shtick?
You just post random videos of people you don't know about?
Old 11-23-22, 10:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

What she is doing is like the Colbert Report, but leaning heavily into cringe comedy, but where Colbert was satirizing right wing conservatives, Ziwe is satirizing aggressive wokeness and race consciousness. And there's a little bit of Jiminy Glick, as she is editing the interviews, not going live to tape, so she maybe sat with Che for 20-30 minutes to mine the much shorter segment that the public will see.
Old 11-23-22, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

She did a interview with Julia Fox in the same show Kanye's ex.
Old 11-29-22, 03:17 PM

Old 11-29-22, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,158 Likes on 708 Posts

I haven't been watching SNL lately, but Martin and Short with Brandi Carlile as musical guest will be must-see for me.
Bandoman (11-30-22)
Old 11-30-22, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 443 Likes on 314 Posts

Have both Martin and Short joined the 5 timers club? decided to google it.
JFC Martin has hosted 15 times! This will be the fourth time for Short.
Old 11-30-22, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by jpcamb
Have both Martin and Short joined the 5 timers club? decided to google it.
JFC Martin has hosted 15 times! This will be the fourth time for Short.
Martin was the original host of the Five Timer Club when he welcomed in Tom Hanks. He might have been in every Five Timer sketch.
Bandoman (11-30-22)
Old 11-30-22, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Steve Martin also holds the record for hosting 3 times in a calendar year, 1978, and 3 times in a season, 77-78.
Old 11-30-22, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 294 Likes on 218 Posts

I think some people may think Steve Martin was one of the original SNL cast members. I know I did, for quite a while.
Old 11-30-22, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by windom
I think some people may think Steve Martin was one of the original SNL cast members. I know I did, for quite a while.
I thought so when I started watching SNL as a kid in the late 70's, it seemed like he was on every other new show or repeat. Looking very forward to seeing him and Short on the 10th.
Old 11-30-22, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was hoping for Will Ferrell since Spirited just came out recently.
Old 12-01-22, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In the 80s, when Nick Nolte was too "sick" and had to opt out of his hosting gig at the very last minute, Eddie Murphy took over as host. But during the goodbyes, Steve Martin just showed up on stage, as he'd heard that the host cancelled and he went to the studio. That's how easy it was for him to get to the studio back then.

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca
I was hoping for Will Ferrell since Spirited just came out recently.
Kinda surprised Jenna Ortega isn't hosting, I'm sure she will before the season is out though. And I'm still holding out for The Linda Lindas as MG this season as well.
Old 12-01-22, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paff
In the 80s, when Nick Nolte was too "sick" and had to opt out of his hosting gig at the very last minute, Eddie Murphy took over as host. But during the goodbyes, Steve Martin just showed up on stage, as he'd heard that the host cancelled and he went to the studio. That's how easy it was for him to get to the studio back then.
Your description is misleading.

Steve Martin showed up at the end of the show to do a planned bit. He came on stage and complained that he had not been asked to host.

[Deafening cheers and applause drown out Eddie.Abruptly, an agitated Steve Martin emerges from the audience and joins Eddie. The crowd goes wild.]Steve Martin: Hold it! Hold it just a minute!No, wait! I’m sorry! Wait! [cheers and applause continues as Steve Martin tries to get a grip on himself – Eddie looks on blankly – the rest of the cast is standing in the background as the crowd in Studio 8H goes nuts] Hold it just a second! I’m sorry![Steve puts a hand on Eddie’s shoulder as the noisesubsides] You know, I’m sitting at home, watching the show, they say there’s gonna be no host! I’m sitting home alone. I say, “What’s goin’ on here? No host?!” And I’m sittin’ home alone?! … [applause] I mean, Eddie — you’re takin’ money out o’ MY pocket!… I’m a professional host! I mean, you got a lot o’guys! [counts on his fingers] You got Letterman, yougot Carson, you got me, you got Buck Henry! We’re sittin’ home alone?! … I mean, I got mouths to feed! I got thirteen illegitimate kids across the country. … [applause] I called three girls up tonight. None of ’em’d go out with me! You know why?[sobs] ‘Cuz I hadn’t hosted in two years! … I’m sittin’ home alone! There’s no host! Nobody calls me![suddenly angry] This is the kind of thing that really irritates me! I’ll tell ya something–! And if you feel OFFENDED — and your cast and your producer feel OFFENDED — that I’ve come out here like this– Well,EXCUUUUUSE ME!
Old 12-01-22, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, ok. I didn't realize his appearance was indeed planned. I thought he just went to the studio from his home after tuning in and seeing that Note cancelled last minute.

Sort of like how Paul McCartney was visiting John Lennon in NYC and they were watching the show when Lorne Michaels made his offer to MG George Harrison to reunite the Beatles (I forget the dollar amount....was it like just five grand or something?), and they considered just popping by unannounced.
Old 12-01-22, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,654 Likes on 1,787 Posts

Originally Posted by Paff

Sort of like how Paul McCartney was visiting John Lennon in NYC and they were watching the show when Lorne Michaels made his offer to MG George Harrison to reunite the Beatles (I forget the dollar amount....was it like just five grand or something?), and they considered just popping by unannounced.
One of those fascinating what if's that I think about sometimes, that would have been crazy.

I think it was $3000 and Lorne said ’"You divide it any way you want. If you want to give Ringo less, that’s up to you. I’d rather not get involved.” George wasn't the guest the night Lorne made the initial offer, but was on later in the year and they continued the joke.
majorjoe23 (01-01-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.