TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Discovery (S3E05) -- "Die Trying" -- 11/12/20

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-20, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts
Re: Star Trek: Discovery (S3E05) -- "Die Trying" -- 11/12/20

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Nope.Then you guys read it wrong. You, TGM and anyone else taking that way are all wrong. And it was NOT my intention but if it was. I would simply say it. I don't need to hide my intentions from yall. . I simply referred to Kirk as "a man" because for fuck's sake...does Kirk really need to be named? He is the biggest thing about Star Trek. Again, if I thought you guys were hating on her because she was a woman I'd fuckin' say it. Shit, I still haven't said it. because I'm giving yall the benefit of doubt. Your opinions of Burnham may be utter bullshit but I'm choosing to believes it's not because she is a woman.....either way,again, if I felt you were sexist I'd just say it. I'm not scared of you guys.
No. I did not read it incorrectly. You do not realize the implications of your word choice. Whether it was your intention or not, the words you chose conveyed a meaning.
I explained in the previous post the linguistic implications of your choosing "a man" to refer to Kirk. My analysis is correct.
Old 11-18-20, 07:44 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

I like Burnham and I like Martin-Green in the role. I guess I'm in the minority, I think this is becoming more of an ensemble show as it goes on anyway, so while the focus is still on her, there's plenty else to watch.

Phillipa is without a doubt the most interesting character. I'm really eager to see what they do with her arc this season.
Old 11-18-20, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
I like Burnham and I like Martin-Green in the role. I guess I'm in the minority, I think this is becoming more of an ensemble show as it goes on anyway, so while the focus is still on her, there's plenty else to watch.

Phillipa is without a doubt the most interesting character. I'm really eager to see what they do with her arc this season.
I don't have a problem with Burnham or Green. My problem is that three seasons in, they want to start making other characters like Detmer and Nahn matter, and I don't have clue who these people are.

Seriously, I've watched every episode of this show week-by-week, and the only reason I know Detmer's name is because they said it like five times in the last episode and keep including her in the "previouslys."
Old 11-18-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I think you guys aren't considering how TOS was done - only Shatner, Nimoy and (later) Kelley received opening credits billing. Doohan, Takei, Nichols and Koenig were always end credits. But they built them up over time, and then in syndication the fans built them up in the fandom so that when it came time for the movies, they were just as big of stars as the first three.

Disco seems to be taking this same route, pulling these background characters up and giving them something more to do and I'm all here for it. I'll admit I'm not a fan of Martin-Green (though I want to like the character of Burnham) and I'm enjoying all these other characters being given screentime and actual lines of dialog besides "course laid in" or "haling frequencies open".
Old 11-18-20, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Television storytelling has become vastly more sophisticated than was the standard in the 1960s, and the audience for DIS is much more sophisticated than the original audience for TOS.

I'm all for having more of the Discovery bridge crew be three-dimensional characters, but that means that they have been developed as characters over time. The show has not been doing that work. I can't all the sudden give a shit that Nahn is going to make some kind of sacrifice and stay at the seed repository. She's not that much more than a recurring Red Shirt.
Old 11-18-20, 06:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Guessing they took it that way because you bolded and capitalized the "she" rather than calling her by name. There are a lot of posters around here these days that do passive aggressive snarking that looks similar (which also turns a lot folks defensive).

And I explained why I did that. It had nothing to do with hiding an accusation of sexism.
Old 11-18-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
No. I did not read it incorrectly. You do not realize the implications of your word choice. Whether it was your intention or not, the words you chose conveyed a meaning.
I explained in the previous post the linguistic implications of your choosing "a man" to refer to Kirk. My analysis is correct.

Yet here you are...still bitching about it even after i made several posts explaining in detail that I was NOT accusing anyone of sexism...

Again, I don't need to hide intention on dvdtalk. I say what I fuckin' mean.

Peace
Old 11-18-20, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I wonder which character is going to tell Michael that she's the best person ever in the next episode! Suspense!
Old 11-19-20, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yet here you are...still bitching about it even after i made several posts explaining in detail that I was NOT accusing anyone of sexism...

Again, I don't need to hide intention on dvdtalk. I say what I fuckin' mean.

Peace
It's amusing to me that this is a debate over the meaning of words, which is a reading comprehension issue, and you have not understood that your intentions have nothing to do with this, even though I have posted it twice.

The way you chose to express yourself communicated a meaning. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THAT MEANING WAS YOUR INTENTION OR NOT.

You did not choose your words with the precision necessary to clearly communicate what you intended. You need to believe me. I am not accusing you of anything. I am offering you constructive criticism on your writing. Take it for free.
Old 11-19-20, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm fairly picky when it comes to performances. I'm an actor. I think half the actors on TV can't act. Wonder why Martin-Green as Burnham has never bothered me a bit. Only performer on the show I haven't liked is Yeoh, and she's doing great now they've figured out how to write for her.

Randoms: I can't watch this show when my senile Mom is in the room. She screams whenever she sees Saru, lol. . . Other aliens and monsters she can take, but Saru scares the stuffing out of her.

Last edited by adamblast; 11-19-20 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-19-20, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Count Dooku
It's amusing to me that this is a debate over the meaning of words, which is a reading comprehension issue, and you have not understood that your intentions have nothing to do with this, even though I have posted it twice.

The way you chose to express yourself communicated a meaning. IT DOES NOT MATTER IF THAT MEANING WAS YOUR INTENTION OR NOT.

You did not choose your words with the precision necessary to clearly communicate what you intended. You need to believe me. I am not accusing you of anything. I am offering you constructive criticism on your writing. Take it for free.
Like i said...even after i explained...you still are on about this. You clearly... don't believe me, won't give me the benefit of doubt, don't care about what I have to say if it doesn't fit your bullshit narrative, and are obsessed with being right. So keep your free advice and kick rocks. You're fucking up the vibe of this post.

I'm DONE with you

Good Day to You Sir....
Old 11-19-20, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Like i said...even after i explained...you still are on about this. You clearly... don't believe me, won't give me the benefit of doubt, don't care about what I have to say if it doesn't fit your bullshit narrative, and are obsessed with being right. So keep your free advice and kick rocks. You're fucking up the vibe of this post.

I'm DONE with you

Good Day to You Sir....
"You clearly... don't believe me, won't give me the benefit of doubt,"

You keep posting what your intention was, and I keep telling you that your intention is irrelevant. Not sure what you can't figure out about what I am saying. Trying to be a friend to you. Sorry you can't see that either.