Reload this Page >

Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

Old 10-14-20, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 58 Likes on 40 Posts
Re: Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

If the season gives the character a better ending, it'll be worth it. I always felt the lumberjack ending was done so that they could bring the show back.
Old 10-14-20, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2,151 Likes on 1,583 Posts

I agree with the earlier comment after thinking it over. Start with a clean slate. Only bring back Hall and bring it to whatever new setting it is. Keep Miami and all the old characters out of it. Most of them are dead anyways.
Old 10-14-20, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 441 Likes on 308 Posts

Wondering who needs this more... Michael C. Hall or Showtime.

This certainly doesn't help disprove the thought that Showtime runs it's shows for far too long.
Old 10-14-20, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Coral View Post

This certainly doesn't help disprove the thought that Showtime runs it's shows for far too long.
Ironically last week they cancelled a show that they had previously renewed that deserved a second season (On Becoming a God in Central Florida). Maybe they'll announce another season of Homeland next.
Old 10-15-20, 12:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
Ironically last week they cancelled a show that they had previously renewed that deserved a second season (On Becoming a God in Central Florida). Maybe they'll announce another season of Homeland next.
Oh damn, I didn't know they canceled that. It was a decent show, although it kind of sputtered a bit in the later episodes.

Wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Weeds... telling about their struggles of growing/selling weed legally. Man, it's already been 8 years since the show ended... and 7 years for Dexter. Time is just flying by.
Old 10-15-20, 01:53 AM

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
They should just make this 10 hours of Dexter being a lumberjack with no returning characters, no murders, and no references to his past.
Dexter/Agent Cooper crossover series.
Old 10-15-20, 04:45 AM

Received 3,250 Likes on 2,207 Posts

Oh damn, I didn't know they canceled that. It was a decent show, although it kind of sputtered a bit in the later episodes.

Wouldn't be surprised if they brought back Weeds... telling about their struggles of growing/selling weed legally. Man, it's already been 8 years since the show ended... and 7 years for Dexter. Time is just flying by.
It was announced last year that a Weeds revival is in the works, but on Starz, since Lionsgate was the studio:
https://ew.com/tv/2019/11/07/weeds-s...tarz/?amp=true
The following users liked this post:
jpcamb (10-15-20)
Old 10-15-20, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 261 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Considering the books took an abrupt turn into the supernatural, I don't think that's the route to go either.
Ah, I read the first few books but lost interest over time as the show got worse and worse. Did not realize that the books went that route.
Old 10-15-20, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 853 Likes on 698 Posts

Probably both. Showtime I don’t think has had a show as big in popularity as Dexter for a while. Michael C Hall seems to still do things fairly regularly, but I don’t think he’s had a huge career after the show.
Old 10-15-20, 11:06 AM

He doesn’t need a huge career. He comes from theatre. He’s been on two very popular TV shows. Works in movies, does theatre regularly, and has a band.

Last edited by dex14; 10-15-20 at 11:14 AM.
Old 10-15-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post
He doesn’t need a huge career. He comes from theatre. He’s been on two very popular TV shows. Works in movies, does theatre regularly, and has a band.
I knew he did theater. Didn’t know he was in a band though. I’m just saying he hasn’t done much of note in movies or shows. He probably doesn’t need a big career, but at one time I thought he’d be a slightly bigger star.
Old 10-15-20, 11:24 AM

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

He definitely could probably use an extra paycheck after the writers killed off his character in "The Crown".
Old 10-15-20, 12:40 PM

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

This was one of my favorite shows ever. I'm down to revisit it, and give it a proper send off. You gotta think that Hall wouldn't sign on if they didn't have a good story for this. The original show was so great until Deb found out his secret. Then it kind of lost it's purpose. I mean I would be okay with this all being one big Deb fever dream that played out in her head as while she saw Dexter stab the religious guy played by Colin Hanks in the church. Pick it up from there and have the season being about her hunting him down and trying to arrest him, because she's already envision what her life turns to if she lets him get away with it.
Old 10-15-20, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix View Post
Maybe they can redeem this show from its final season. Maybe.

Potentially unpopular opinion (?), but Dexter without Deb is going to be missing a key ingredient. I loved that character. So personally I hope that Dexter is the only returning character. New setting, new cast would be the best move. Please, no kids. No Angel, Hannah, or Quinn. Hopefully it's Dexter finally giving in to his dark passenger in an all-new setting where no one already suspects anything of him.
I'm with you on this unpopular opinion. Deb was the most important character in relation to Dexter, without her, might as well start clean.

Dexter the character was always awesome, bring him back in a new setting with a new cast and tell a new story. Let the original show be the past.
Old 10-15-20, 02:49 PM

Received 119 Likes on 81 Posts

One interesting thing they could do is have the first half of the season be a new cast and setting, with the presumption that it takes off where the original series ended. And then halfway through have Deb show up with the reveal that everything after season 4 was a fever dream due to a gas leak in Dexter's apartment.

In other words, a blending of two good ideas.
Old 10-15-20, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goat3001 View Post
I'm with you on this unpopular opinion. Deb was the most important character in relation to Dexter, without her, might as well start clean.

Dexter the character was always awesome, bring him back in a new setting with a new cast and tell a new story. Let the original show be the past.
Honestly what would be cool but won’t happen is just a full reboot. Michael C Hall is great as Dexter. Just bring him back and wipe the slate clean. New characters and stories and the only thing that’s the same is Dexter himself. It would be too weird though and would probably go over people’s heads.

If they would at least say the events of season eight didn’t happen I’d be good with it. Seasons five through seven are weak in comparison with the first four, but they aren’t so shitty that I completely hate them. Season eight really is what killed the show for me.
Old 10-15-20, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 351 Likes on 259 Posts

I'm one of the few who actually liked the show all the way through except for the final episode/ ending so I'm down for a better resolution for these characters.
Old 10-15-20, 04:43 PM

at some of the suggestions in this thread.
Old 10-15-20, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A lot of them are better than the series itself ended so...
Old 10-16-20, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
One interesting thing they could do is have the first half of the season be a new cast and setting, with the presumption that it takes off where the original series ended. And then halfway through have Deb show up with the reveal that everything after season 4 was a fever dream due to a gas leak in Dexter's apartment.

In other words, a blending of two good ideas.
Please no. Using the whole "it was only a dream" scenario is so played out, cliched and lazy.
Old 10-16-20, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 141 Likes on 106 Posts

Please no. Using the whole "it was only a dream" scenario is so played out, cliched and lazy.
So is Dexter’s narration, the flashbacks, and having a ghost talk to him and spell everything out for the audience.

I’m interested, but also curious if it’ll be a trainwreck.

Old 10-16-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Lazy is what happened to the show under Scott Buck. If the original showrunner is back on board, who gave us the first 4 seasons.... I'm more than ok with it being a dream.
Old 10-16-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

They really broke faith with their audience in the final season.

I've already been burned and it'll take a creative miracle here to interest me again.

Last edited by adamblast; 10-16-20 at 12:51 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 12:42 PM

If Dexter‘s original series finale didn’t quite cutit for you, the newly announced revival hopes to make things right.

Showtime’s serial killer drama wrapped its eight-season run seven years ago by — SPOILERS ALERT, AND I AM NOT KIDDING— killing off this main character and then sending Michael C. Hall’s titular vigilante into fake death-imposed exile in the middle of nowhere. AKA the infamous Lumberjack Ending.

But with the 10-episode revival picking up in real time, so many years later, “We basically doget to start from scratch,” returning showrunner Clyde Phillips told the Oct. 16 episode of THR’s always entertaining TV’s Top 5 podcast.

“We want this to not be Dexter Season 9,” he continued. “Ten years, or however many years, have passed by the time this will air, and the show will reflect that time passage. So far as the ending of the show, this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was. It’s a great opportunity to write a second finale.”

Given the lukewarm reaction to the September 2013 series finale, from both viewers and even series lead Hall himself, “This is an opportunity to make that right,” Phillips said. “But that’s not why we’re doing it.”

As for righting/retconning any specific perceived wrongs, “We’re not undoing anything,” Phillips maintained. “We’re not going to betray the audience and say, ‘Whoops, that was all a dream.’ What happened in the first eight years happened in the first eight years.”

Michael C. Hall, sharing his own take on the original series finale, told The Daily Beast in 2014, “Liked it? I don’t think I even watched it,” adding: “I thought it was narratively satisfying — but it was not so savoury…. Just inherently because of how long we’d done it, because of the storytelling capital we’d spent, because our writers may have been gassed… Maybe some people wanted a more satisfying-maybe they wanted a happy ending for him, either a happy ending or a more definitive sense of closure.”

Last edited by dex14; 10-16-20 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-16-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I think the only negative is Phillips has already told us how he wanted to end the show. Wonder if he plans on sticking with this:
Spoiler:
In the very last scene of the series. Dexter wakes up. And everybody is going to think, ‘Oh, it was a dream.’ And then the camera pulls back and back and back and then we realize, ‘No, it’s not a dream.’ Dexter’s opening his eyes and he’s on the execution table at the Florida Penitentiary. They’re just starting to administer the drugs and he looks out through the window to the observation gallery.

And in the gallery are all the people that Dexter killed—including the Trinity Killer and the Ice Truck Killer (his brother Rudy), LaGuerta who he was responsible killing, Doakes who he’s arguably responsible for, Rita, who he’s arguably responsible for, Lila. All the big deaths, and also whoever the weekly episodic kills were. They are all there.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.