Reload this Page >

Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

Old 01-16-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Dexter spin-off featuring...Dexter

At the TCA (Television Critics Association) press tour today, Showtime’s president, David Nevins, revealed there’s still a chance for a Dexter spinoff. And that if it happens, it would be about… Dexter.

Said Nevins, “It’s something we continue to talk about. If we were to do it, we would have to have a very good reason to do it. It would have to feel like it’s a new show. I’m not interested in doing it if it’s just a continuation… There have been some light, ongoing conversations. It hasn’t really gone anywhere yet.”

The question up until now had been who a Dexter spinoff could focus on, with many of us guessing Yvonne Strahovski's Hannah McKay. When asked the question today about who a new series would include, Nevins replied, “It would have to involve Michael [C. Hall].” Asked to clarify whether he meant as a producer, Nevins said he meant onscreen, remarking, “I think if we were to do it, I would only do it if it with Michael.”

The Dexter finale received a lot of criticism, but Nevins said he felt, “The fundamental design of where they ended Dexter was really well-conceived. He had to sacrifice the one person who was closest to him in the world and he had to leave and that was where it was headed for a very long time.”

Dexter executive producer John Goldwyn said that Showtime demanded Dexter survive the end of the series, but Nevins denied that today saying, “Honestly, it was never even discussed, the idea of killing him. The people who were really in the center, which was Michael, Scott Buck, Sara Colleton, it was never even… no one even brought up the idea. It wasn’t discussed.”

As to whether the decision to keep him alive was because of the possibility of a new series, Nevins said, “I don’t know. I’m not sure. And it remains to be seen whether they’re going to want to do it, whether I’m going to want to do it. But they never felt like killing Dexter was the right end.”

Nevins said there was no timetable for making a decision on Dexter’s future, calling it “very open-ended.”

I noted that it was surprising to hear a Dexter spinoff would be about Dexter himself and whether we should assume that it would be the character in a completely new setting with a new supporting cast. Nevins replied, “We’re at the very preliminary stage. But I think that show is that character and it’s not been done in television. If I were to do something, I would want to do Dexter in a new concept and configuration. I want it to feel different – not just a continuation of the old show.”
Old 01-16-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 22 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Dexter spin-off featuring...Dexter

Dexter is a great character that was completely ruined in the last few seasons. If they find a way to wipe out all the nonsense and bring Dexter back to his roots I'd be all for it. That just won't happen though.

So I'm not hard pressed to call this a bad idea. They can't do any worse by the character than they already have. If this takes off, I won't watch.
Old 01-16-14, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 929 Likes on 692 Posts

I'm pretty sure this will never happen. No way Michael C. Hall agrees to do another Dexter series after 8 years on it.
Old 01-16-14, 01:33 PM

Received 107 Likes on 70 Posts

Tentative title: "I'm a Lumberjack and I'm Okay"
Old 01-16-14, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

aren't there already like 15 lumberjack shows on the air right now?
Old 01-16-14, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 311 Likes on 239 Posts

So Dexter will now be a reality show on Discovery?
Old 01-16-14, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I love how he says they never discussed killing Dexter but then goes on to say that they felt it wasn't the right ending.

Personally, the only thing I could see working well would be a prequel series with a young Dexter. I don't want any secondary character spin-offs or a continuation of Dexter's story.
Old 01-16-14, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Might as well make it a comedy show, that's where it was heading in the last season anyway! Just put some automated laughs under the ridiculous scenes.
Old 01-16-14, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just like Lost the last season of Dexter so ruined my feelings for the show that I don't know if I ever want to see it again.
Old 01-16-14, 06:36 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
Just like Lost the last season of Dexter so ruined my feelings for the show that I don't know if I ever want to see it again.
True. I will never watch either again. It's too bad because for the first four seasons we had Debra gradually starting to figure Dexter out through police investigation and then the showrunners changed and it went completely off the rails.
Old 01-16-14, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by actionjackson29 View Post
Lost imo improved on second viewing. Dexter. No.
Old 01-16-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 94 Likes on 69 Posts

I watched thru the season with John Lithgow. Should I quit there are are any of the other seasons after that worth watching. I have heard so many bad things about the last several seasons that I don't know if I want to waste my time.
Old 01-16-14, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I work all night and I sleep all day.
Old 01-16-14, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I watched thru the season with John Lithgow. Should I quit there are are any of the other seasons after that worth watching. I have heard so many bad things about the last several seasons that I don't know if I want to waste my time.
That was the 4th. While a lot of people hated the 5th season, I kind of liked some of the cast additions.

Fuck season 6-8.
Old 01-16-14, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 337 Likes on 244 Posts

On one hand, this seems ridiculous. The show was horrible the past few years. On the other hand, I like the idea of a reboot. Start fresh so they aren't stuck with all the stupid decisions previous writers made. I think what would be cool is if we see like a vigilante Dexter. Nothing related to his work with police. Basically the same type of guy he was, but he goes out and does this on his own.
Old 01-16-14, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 929 Likes on 692 Posts

Keep in mind, if this gets made, Scott Buck will be the showrunner. He signed a new development deal with Showtime and would most likely be in charge of this.
Old 01-16-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

They just need to let go of this whole idea. Give it some time and maybe they can reboot the show with a whole different cast and storyline. I just don't see how they could make the show satisfying again with the current people in charge. They're the ones that fucked up the final seasons in the first place. That includes Michael C. Hall.
Old 01-16-14, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 149 Likes on 99 Posts

Pass
Old 01-16-14, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 73 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite View Post
I actually really liked what Julia Stiles brought to season 5, and I've always liked Jonny Lee Miller, but I'm probably in the minority in liking this season. Season six is crap. IMO, season seven is worth watching for Ray Stevenson and to a lessor extent Yvonne Strahovski. Season eight is crap.
Old 01-16-14, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 610 Likes on 451 Posts

Only if it opens with the line "Have you ever had one of those dreams that just goes on and on and on?"

And the we find out that everything past season four was just a dream.
Old 01-17-14, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mwbmis View Post
I actually really liked what Julia Stiles brought to season 5, and I've always liked Jonny Lee Miller, but I'm probably in the minority in liking this season.
We're at least a party of 2. Looking back, there were problems with the season, but I really liked the relationship between Dexter and Lumen. Speaking of which, I wonder where Dexter is a lumberjack. Maybe he's up in Minnesota where Lujmen's from. Hmm. OK, just kidding.

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man View Post
Only if it opens with the line "Have you ever had one of those dreams that just goes on and on and on?" And the we find out that everything past season four was just a dream.
They'd have to start the erasure at the Deb Loves Dexter moment at the very least.
Old 01-17-14, 10:08 AM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DJariya View Post
Keep in mind, if this gets made, Scott Buck will be the showrunner. He signed a new development deal with Showtime and would most likely be in charge of this.
And that's the biggest problem. Honestly, his name is now 'flagged' on my personal radar and I will probably avoid any show he is a part of from this point on, regardless of who else is involved or what the show is about.
Old 01-17-14, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That will never happen. The finale was more universally despised than the finale of Lost. I don't think the audience will ever find enough forgiveness to enjoy that character again.
Old 01-17-14, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not hard, the Lost finale surprisingly wasn't universally despised. I don't think I read a single positive comment on the Dexter finale.
Old 01-17-14, 11:10 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Honestly, Showtime should move on. One would think there are better creative endeavors to pursue than extending the shelf-life of Dexter (which many agree was past due). Ratings or otherwise.

Also, I think it would be a tall order to attempt to redeem the show/character. No matter how much the Showtime brass attempts to sugarcoat how "well-conceived the design was", the reality is that the majority seem to agree the past couple seasons were average at best and the final one was downright embarrassing.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.