Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-20, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Dexter Limited series coming to Showtime -- Michael C. Hall to return

It’s really too bad Phillips ever left the show in the first place. As far as his proposed ending, I remember reading it. It would be okay I suppose. Kind of a fitting end for Dexter (both the character and the show).

My question is will the show be truly limited or is it limited with the possibility of coming back? I feel like it could come back and do big ratings and Showtime may want to keep it going. Of course that’s also down to Phillips and Hall.
Old 10-16-20, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

They should have teased this with Monty Pythons Lumberjack song...
Old 10-16-20, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

They should end the series with a Live Musical episode shot entirely in black and white that is a hurricane crossover with the surviving Golden Girl(s).
Old 11-18-20, 02:39 PM

Received 4,584 Likes on 3,103 Posts

Showtime's Dexter revival is enlisting another familiar face for its return.

Marcos Siega has signed on to exec produce and direct six of the 10-episode revival starring Michael C. Hall.

Set 10 years after Dexter Morgan went missing in the eye of Hurricane Laura, the revival sees the character now living under an assumed name in a world away from Miami, per Showtime's official logline.

Siega had been a frequent collaborator of returning Dexter showrunner Clyde Phillips and directed nine episodes of the series — two of which were written by Phillips. Siega's credits include helming The CW's Batwoman pilot and directing HBO Max's The Flight Attendant. His credits include True Blood, Veronica Mars, Tyrant, Blindspot and The Following. He's repped by UTA and Goodman Genow.

The Dexter revival will be again run by Phillips and is technically considered a closed-ended revival though it does continue the original series. Dexter, which Phillips left halfway through its run, ended in 2013 with Hall's Dexter Morgan going on self-imposed exile as a lumberjack and living a solitary life.

In an interview with The Hollywood Reporter's TV's Top 5 podcast, Phillips said, "We basically do get to start from scratch. … Ten years, or however many years, have passed by the time this will air, and the show will reflect that time passage. So far as the ending of the show, this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was. It’s a great opportunity to write a second finale."

Phillips noted the revival would offer an opportunity to make things right with viewers after the critically panned series finale. "We’re not undoing anything," he said. “We’re not going to betray the audience and say, ‘Whoops, that was all a dream.’ What happened in the first eight years, happened in the first eight years.”

Siega exec produces alongside Phillips, Hall, John Goldwyn, Sara Colleton, Bill Carraro and Scott Reynolds.

Production is scheduled to begin early next year for planned fall 2021 premiere.
Old 01-05-21, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

Clancy Brown in leading role: https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/dex...wn-1234878956/
The following 3 users liked this post by Deftones:
andicus (01-05-21), Bandoman (01-06-21), Groucho (01-05-21)
Old 01-05-21, 05:25 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

That article also gives a good idea of his character, with a little bit of plot information:

Spoiler:
"Brown will star as Kurt Caldwell, the primary villain of the show. Caldwell is described as the unofficial mayor of the small town of Iron Lake. He’s realized the American dream by going from driving big rigs, just like his father did, to now owning several trucks and the local truck stop. Powerful, generous, loved by everyone – he’s a true man of the people. If he’s got your back, consider yourself blessed. But should you cross Kurt, or hurt anyone that he cares for, God help you."
Old 01-05-21, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
That article also gives a good idea of his character, with a little bit of plot information:

Spoiler:
"Brown will star as Kurt Caldwell, the primary villain of the show. Caldwell is described as the unofficial mayor of the small town of Iron Lake. He’s realized the American dream by going from driving big rigs, just like his father did, to now owning several trucks and the local truck stop. Powerful, generous, loved by everyone – he’s a true man of the people. If he’s got your back, consider yourself blessed. But should you cross Kurt, or hurt anyone that he cares for, God help you."
So it sounds like...

Spoiler:
Dexter will be doing lumberjack stuff in lumberjack town.
Old 01-05-21, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Spoiler:
I mean that makes sense given the ending of the series and the fact that this continuation isn’t retconning anything. Presumably Dexter will be up to his old ways somewhat just in a new location.
Old 01-06-21, 06:26 AM

It better not. They already said “this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was.” So from that, I would hope he’s moved on from being a lumberjack.

Last edited by dex14; 01-06-21 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-06-21, 08:45 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts

He's a lumberjack and that's ok.
He sleep all night and he works all day.
Old 01-06-21, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

He cut down trees, he eats his lunch
He goes to the lavatory
On Wednesdays he goes shopping and has buttered scones for tea
Old 01-06-21, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Just saw an article on FB saying it will start shooting in Worcester and Garnder MA this month with other MA towns as well. Similar locations to Castle Rock according to the article so it's not the PNW.
Old 01-06-21, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dex14
It better not. They already said “this will have no resemblance to how the original finale was.” So from that, I would hope he’s moved on from being a lumberjack.
Maybe he knows of this new character from his time as a lumberjack at least.
Old 01-06-21, 10:52 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My guess is that Dexter is pulling a David Banner and going from town to town under different aliases, and the plot involves him showing up in the wrong town at the wrong time.
Old 01-06-21, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My guess is that Dexter is pulling a David Banner and going from town to town under different aliases, and the plot involves him showing up in the wrong town at the wrong time.
That could be an interesting direction to go too. He ends up in the wrong place and discovers a serial killer. He can’t let his old habits die, and feels the need to take care of business.

I'm still curious if Showtime is really only wanting one season or if it does really well if they’ll want to renew it. Kind of hope it’s a one off to give a better ending, but I could see it going the opposite direction.

Last edited by Mike86; 01-06-21 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-06-21, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,741 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Every week a drifter named Dexter will come to a new town, go into a bar, and immediately get beaten up by the a gang of lumberjacks, rednecks, teamsters, or bikers, and then kill them all

Old 01-06-21, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

I'd like to see him become mayor of the town and then it evolve into a sitcom.
Old 01-07-21, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

have him become a mortician and do battle with Norman Bates when he discovers what he was doing at that motel with his mother.
Old 01-11-21, 02:20 PM

EXCLUSIVE: Showtime has set the cast of the upcoming Dexter revival. Julia Jones (The Mandalorian), Alano Miller (Sylvie’s Love), Johnny Sequoyah (Believe) and Jack Alcott (The Good Lord Bird) have joined Michael C. Hall and Clancy Brown in the 10-episode limited series, which begins production next month in Massachusetts.

The descriptions of the new characters provide a clue about the setting of the follow-up in upstate New York. (In the original series’ divisive finale, Hall’s Dexter was last seen in an Oregon logging camp.)

Jones will play Angela Bishop, the first Native American Chief of Police in her town in upstate New York. Sequoyah portrays Audrey, Bishop’s brash and opinionated teenage daughter. Miller will play Logan, a sergeant for the Iron Lake Police Department and the assistant wrestling coach for the local high school. Alcott is Randall, with whom Dexter (Hall) has a meaningful encounter.
Old 04-22-21, 11:30 AM

Old 04-22-21, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So this isn’t supposed to resemble the original series finale, but the teaser tweet is an axe in a tree stump. Kind of makes me think of lumberjack Dexter. Either way though I’m looking forward to this.
Old 04-23-21, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I would assume they're going to address the lumberjack part. They can't really pretend that it didn't happen. Plus I don't really hate that part now in the context of bringing the show back. The last season was horrible and that ending was a joke but if they had renewed the show for another season back then, I don't think people would have been that upset with it. I think people wanted to see a change of scenery and maybe have Dexter on the run.

Old 04-23-21, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, that’s true. The original series finale probably wouldn’t have been as bad if it had been leading into another season. Now that we’re getting a new season later it’s somewhat more acceptable.

I really just hope this new season/limited series can redeem the show somewhat. Although there are definitely aspects that are going to be unsatisfying no matter what (Deb’s death being the big one).
Old 04-23-21, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I sort of want to see the new series but am not sure I can bring myself to watch the last season. This is one of the shows I gave up on back in the day and the reputation for that season is less than stellar.
Old 04-23-21, 02:28 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

If anyone from the main cast will be back, it’s Deb as a ghost or something.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.