Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Amazing Race Season 32 (CBS) premieres 10/14/20

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-20, 10:57 AM

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: The Amazing Race Season 32 (CBS) premieres 10/14/20

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
All of you complaining about this season need to go back and rewatch previous seasons; there have always been alliances and help among teams.
True. But something wasn't working this time...

I consider myself to be a superfan and even I was disappointed in this season. Maybe it was so many teams being part of the alliance that changed the dynamic. In the past its only been two or three teams but this time it was five so you had half the contestants banded together against the other half which just didn't feel fair. Especially after the blondes got taken out (who I really wish had been this season's winners!)

I hope the show comes back again and I hope the producers have gotten a bit more creative in how they let things play out. There are always ways for them to manipulate the teams into working with or against each other.

They could force teams to work with another team they are randomly assigned or make them switch players with another team or even force them to penalize another team instead of given them an option. I would much rather see each of the teams getting to a U-turn be forced to choose another team than giving them the option not to.

And the road blocks need to be reworked. I would like to see them randomly assigned to team members so they don't get to choose who is better at handling heights/tight spaces/eating gross food, etc.

They also need to do a better job with casting. This season had some real duds.
Old 12-17-20, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

That has to be the most low energy I've ever seen New Orleans. Must've been a weeknight between New Years and the start of Mardi Gras season as those streets were dead. In the end it came down to a boring finale which pretty much sums up this season.
Old 12-17-20, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bluesix
True. But something wasn't working this time...

I consider myself to be a superfan and even I was disappointed in this season. Maybe it was so many teams being part of the alliance that changed the dynamic. In the past its only been two or three teams but this time it was five so you had half the contestants banded together against the other half which just didn't feel fair. Especially after the blondes got taken out (who I really wish had been this season's winners!)

I hope the show comes back again and I hope the producers have gotten a bit more creative in how they let things play out. There are always ways for them to manipulate the teams into working with or against each other.

They could force teams to work with another team they are randomly assigned or make them switch players with another team or even force them to penalize another team instead of given them an option. I would much rather see each of the teams getting to a U-turn be forced to choose another team than giving them the option not to.

And the road blocks need to be reworked. I would like to see them randomly assigned to team members so they don't get to choose who is better at handling heights/tight spaces/eating gross food, etc.

They also need to do a better job with casting. This season had some real duds.
they have done something like that with the head to head battles with two team racing against each other and the last team to lose among the last two is almost guaranteed to be eliminated.

Also the roadblock clues are vague like who want to “hold a baby?”
Invariably, there is always someone afraid of heights doing the height challenge.

It definitely wasnt the best season but it is still my favorite show. I hope it can continue in a post covid19 world.
Old 12-17-20, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Cardsfan111
That might have been the least interesting finish I've ever seen.

2 teams completely fall apart and the editing tried to make it seem like the boyfriends were going to stumble, but that was never going to happen.

Between the alliance stuff and how this one wrapped up, I'd have a hard time tuning in again in the future.
Really boring finale.

I assume there won't be another season for quite some time due to Covid.
Old 12-17-20, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man

When they introduce things like U-Turns, it encourages the formation of alliances.
Yep. And as I said before - getting rid of the FFs (which I assume they did to cut production costs). They've basically gotten rid of working air travel to your advantage (also I assume to cut production costs).
Old 12-17-20, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 350 Likes on 269 Posts

Slightly off topic, but through 32 seasons, who are some of your favorite teams?

My favorite team:
Spoiler:
Kristi & Jen - Season 30 (finished 3rd)

The only winning team I guessed correctly:
Spoiler:
Jason and Amy - Season 23

Old 12-17-20, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Dog
Really boring finale.

I assume there won't be another season for quite some time due to Covid.
They were filming Race 33 when COVID shut them down. I expect with the vaccine out, maybe Late 2022 at the earliest is when we’ll see a new Amazing Race again.
Old 12-18-20, 01:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 451 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by sikegrad
I know this season was filmed 2-years ago, but is there another one in the can?
No, unfortunately, they were in the middle of filming when the pandemic hit. They had gotten through something like 3 or 4 legs and had to abandon the production. I assume they'll probably have to scrap that race and start over sometime late next year, so it's going to be a while before we get a new one.
Old 12-18-20, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

Terrible finale to a terrible season by TAR standards. Instantly forgettable.
Old 12-18-20, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

In regards to the alliances in the past, there always seemed to be some challenges that broke it up. That just never happened this time. It did make it more boring.

It was kind of a lifeless finale. I'll give the boyfriends credit in that they did run a good race and did what they needed to do in the last leg to win. It's a shame that this could be the last season, though. At the very least, it's the last one for a while.
Old 05-19-21, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,640 Likes on 2,613 Posts

CBS gave an update today about season 33. They hope to have it by Midseason 2022. But it depends on travel restrictions. Europe is slowly opening up. Most of Asia is still closed unless you quarantine from the latest I've read. Australia is closed until Mid 2022. So their options are a little light right now.

https://deadline.com/2021/05/cbs-pil...ts-1234759899/

Kelly Kahl is CBS's entertainment president

Kahl also hopes to have The Amazing Race back in midseason if the producers are finally able to get back out in the world to shoot Season 33.

“We hope to get them out as soon as there is a piece of the world that opens up that allows enough legs of travel. It’s literally a day-by-day situation, the team is ready to go and we certainly hope to get a greenlight before the end of the year. We hope to have it for midseason, but that all depends on when they get out,” he said.
Old 05-19-21, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I'm glad to hear that it's coming back. I don't know why they can't just shoot a season where you just travel in the US right now since most states have dropped restrictions. They did that for the Family edition, but haven't since then.
Old 05-19-21, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, they shot part of season 33 before the shutdown. So I guess they could add more drama and add the shutdown in March 2020 and then jump forward something like "18 months later"

it would be super weird, but at least you don't screw the contestants out of where they left off.
Old 05-19-21, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

Originally Posted by lwhy?
I'm glad to hear that it's coming back. I don't know why they can't just shoot a season where you just travel in the US right now since most states have dropped restrictions. They did that for the Family edition, but haven't since then.
With no language barrier (and no cultural discoveries), the challenges wouldn't be very interesting at all.
Old 05-19-21, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJariya
Well, they shot part of season 33 before the shutdown. So I guess they could add more drama and add the shutdown in March 2020 and then jump forward something like "18 months later"

it would be super weird, but at least you don't screw the contestants out of where they left off.
18 months later some of those contestants could be pregnant or have work commitments that wouldn't allow them to be on the show now. I'm very interested to see how that plays out.
Old 05-19-21, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

The producers have said they have no interest in doing another US edition. The Family Edition was generally considered a dud.
Old 05-19-21, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DWilson
The producers have said they have no interest in doing another US edition. The Family Edition was generally considered a dud.
If they wanted to be able to produce another season quickly, a US version would be the only choice. It will take time to be able to travel around the world right now. They definitely couldn't travel to places like India right now.
Old 05-19-21, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

If they wanted to be able to produce another season quickly, a US version would be the only choice. It will take time to be able to travel around the world right now. They definitely couldn't travel to places like India right now.
I understand your point, as do the producers, but when they've been asked about it, they've said no. I suppose if CBS asked for a US season they'd do it, or perhaps CBS has told them they don't want one. Let's face it, The Amazing Race is not a priority to CBS, since they left the last season on the shelf for close to two years.

Last edited by DWilson; 05-19-21 at 11:50 PM.
Old 05-19-21, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

18 months later some of those contestants could be pregnant or have work commitments that wouldn't allow them to be on the show now. I'm very interested to see how that plays out.
Covid will end up being just another lame TAR bunch up task.
The following users liked this post:
bluesix (05-20-21)
Old 05-28-21, 08:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Ugh, remember the Family edition where they were stuck driving across the country? No thanks.
Old 05-28-21, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 194 Likes on 156 Posts

It was worth it for the time when they had to go to the Buffalo Bill museum in Wyoming, and when the brothers and sister team got the clue one the brothers said "It puts the lotion in the basket".
Old 09-09-21, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk God

https://deadline.com/2021/09/the-ama...ys-1234829832/

CBS confirmed that the show will be back this season.

It says 3 episodes were filmed for season 33 before they got shut down. It does not say if that season will be scrapped or if they will resume it. It only says it's in "Pre-Production"

It's going to be interesting to see how they tackle this season. I mean New Zealand and Australia are closed. Most of Asia is closed as well. They can only really hit Europe and maybe South America and Mexico?
Old 09-09-21, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,200 Likes on 4,227 Posts

If that's the case, maybe more driving and less flying? I wouldn't mind that as the plane trips seem to be an unfair equalizer sometime.
Of course spending a lot of time in South America and Mexico would be an unfair advantage for any Spanish-speakers.

And they need to rethink or revamp the Speed Bump given to teams who were spared on the last leg. It seems like last couple of seasons they really weren't any sort of a significant penalty, and they should be.
On the flip side, the U-Turn seems to be so time-consuming that it basically will decide the result of an episode right there. I don't like them any more.
Old 09-09-21, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Oh yeah and they can probably hit the Middle East. I know they are pretty much open. Not sure about Africa. I heard Africa has some pretty strict regulations right now due to COVID.
Old 09-09-21, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't see how they're going to be able to produce a travel competition reality show without the cast and crew getting covid whether they are vaccinated or not. I love the show, but it's just not safe right now.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.