Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

What is the oldest thing on your DVR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts
Re: What is the oldest thing on your DVR?

Originally Posted by Tom Banjo
This is my wife’s doing. We watched this entire series together, and then she just “never got around” to watching the last episode. I honestly can’t fathom watching everything except the series finale of something. But whatever, I just let it sit there gnawing away at my OCD. 😆

She must watch the last episode. It's important!
Old 08-27-20, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I haven't had a DVR for like 5yrs. :/
Old 08-27-20, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I've gotten better about clearing stuff off the DVR so the oldest recordings are the entire run of Masters of Horror which aired last Halloween as I'm saving them to watch this October. Back in the Tivo days I was a real DVR hoarder and would keep movies queued up for years.
Old 08-27-20, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 723 Likes on 590 Posts

I double checked and it was American Masters Mel Brooks from 2013
Old 08-27-20, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So what does everyone use if they don't have a DVR for current running shows? (not streaming) I don't really do live tv anymore, too many ads.
Old 08-27-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
She must watch the last episode. It's important!
I’ve given up beating that horse. But still trying to fathom how someone can watch a show religiously, then just not get around to watching the finale for TWO FUCKING YEARS.
Old 08-27-20, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

I’ve given up beating that horse. But still trying to fathom how someone can watch a show religiously, then just not get around to watching the finale for TWO FUCKING YEARS.
Because the show isn't over until you watch the finale. So it's a way of keep the show "alive". I actually get it.

Anyway, for me it's a 2011 airing (MGM HD, I believe) of the horrible Robert Hays/Pamela Stephenson film Scandalous. Actually, I don't even know it's that bad (the reviews say it is), but there's an excellent live clip of 80s band Bow Wow Wow late in the film. That's all I watch, and it's not worth a DVD purchase for the minute and a half of the film I like.

I'm somewhat glad I'm a DVR "hoarder", in that I have some of the Skinemax smut before AT&T cleaned up the channel. Specifically several episodes of The Girl's Guide to Depravity, a Sex in the City rip-off with more nudity. Mostly nudity. I kept the episodes not for the sex and skin (though that's certainly a plus), but for the lovely Rebecca Blumhagen. She's had a few bit parts since, but this is the only show where you can see her (and I do mean SEE her) for more than a hot second.
Old 08-27-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 349 Likes on 268 Posts

To be fair with Timeless, the season 2 finale was May 13, 2018, which everyone thought was cancelled soon after.

But luckily the two part bonus wrap up finale was approved and aired on Dec 20, 2018.

So I can understand if someone lost interest after that hiatus.
Old 08-27-20, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Never had DVR. Once I cut the chord I never went back.
The following users liked this post:
cultshock (08-29-20)
Old 08-28-20, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't understand that either. I was looking forward to it having a proper ending.

Originally Posted by MLBFan24
To be fair with Timeless, the season 2 finale was May 13, 2018, which everyone thought was cancelled soon after.

But luckily the two part bonus wrap up finale was approved and aired on Dec 20, 2018.

So I can understand if someone lost interest after that hiatus.
We have to wait for shows all the time. Odd concept (for me) to just not care about something you like because you had to wait. Now, if a show was bad or got worse then I get it.
Old 08-28-20, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Yeah, she just doesn't want to put the show to bed, seems simple (if silly) to me...Funny, I'm bingeing just that show right now (Timeless), I'm 3 or 4 eps away from the two-part Xmas finale and I have slowed down a little to get closer to the fall & the holidays. I'm always half-thru with lots of shows.

Dad fills up the DVR with Ridiculousness & "funniest home video" shows. And "manly" reality shows like Forged In Fire. He's disinterested in story & plot now, never even finished "his favorite show" (GoT, I kept the last season cued up for him until recently.)

Last edited by adamblast; 08-28-20 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-28-20, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I don’t think sheKs even trying to avoid putting it to rest. At this point I think she just somehow lost interest as the days became weeks, then months. I’ve asked her about it multiple times and sheKs told me I can delete it if it bothers me so much. So 🤷🏻‍♂️ Maybe I will. It’s on Hulu if she ever decides to finish the damn thing.
Old 08-29-20, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Xiroteus
So what does everyone use if they don't have a DVR for current running shows? (not streaming) I don't really do live tv anymore, too many ads.
I can't think of a current show I watch that I can't just stream.

In the "old days" I'd just download a torrent (*gasp!*) for a show that I missed watching live.

I never understood the mentality of filling up a DVR with hundreds of hours of programming, much of which is never even watched, based on some comments here.
Old 08-30-20, 10:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts

2008 Rocklahoma live broadcast. Why? I had my wife record it because me and a friend of mine drove up to see it (I believe only the second day was broadcast live all day) and we ended up being onscreen twice at the second stage.
Old 08-31-20, 08:41 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

On Xfinity X1 boxes, I believe they only allow you to save shows for one year. So I usually have a few old movies that I recorded from TCM in SD (to save room) laying around. When it gets close to a year, I make an effort to watch them.