Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Sphere TV series from the Producers of Westworld & based on Michael Crichton's book in the works at HBO

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Sphere TV series from the Producers of Westworld & based on Michael Crichton's book in the works at HBO

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-20, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,634 Likes on 2,607 Posts

https://deadline.com/2020/08/sphere-drama-series-book-michael-crichton-hbo-denise-the-1203024878/

HBO is developing drama series Sphere based on Michael Crichton’s novel of the same name, from Westworld executive producer/writer Denise Thé, Lisa Joy and Jonathan Nolan’s Kilter Films (Westworld), Robert Downey Jr. and Susan Downey’s Team Downey and Warner Bros. Television.

Written by Thé, based on the novel, Sphere plunges us one thousand feet into the ocean, where a group of scientists confronts the surreal, beautiful, and deadly mysteries of the universe, only to find the people closest to us may prove to be the most alien.

Thé, who also serves as showrunner, executive produces with Kilter Films’ Nolan, Joy and Athena Wickham and Team Downey’s Robert Downey Jr, Susan Downey and Amanda Burrell. The project is a co-production of Kilter Films, Team Downey and Warner Bros. TV.

Thé most recently served as executive producer and writer on Season 3 of the Emmy-winning drama series Westworld. She is also known for writing and producing Person of Interest, on which she first worked with Westworld co-creator Jonathan Nolan, and for her role as writer and consulting producer on Gotham. Thé’s additional writing credits include Medium, Cold Case and Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Kilter Films produces HBO’s hit series Westworld, which was recently picked up for a fourth season. Through their deal with Amazon, Kilter Films is currently in pre-production on The Peripheral, the series adaptation of William Gibson’s 2014 sci-fi thriller novel that follows a woman in a near-future America in which technology has started to subtly alter society. They have also partnered with Bethesda Game Studios to develop Fallout, a television show for Amazon based on the worldwide best-selling video game franchise.

Team Downey produces HBO’s Perry Mason, which was recently renewed for a second season. They are also producing Sweet Tooth, an upcoming series for Netflix. On the film side, Team Downey recently produced the family adventure film Dolittle for Universal, with Downey Jr. in the title role. Currently, the company is in pre-production on the psychological thriller A Head Full of Ghosts, starring Margaret Qualley with Scott Cooper directing. Downey Jr. is perhaps best known for his performance in the title role of the Iron Man franchise. Susan Downey is a prolific film producer whose credits include The Brave One, Gothika, House of Wax and Orphan.

Old 08-27-20, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts
Re: Sphere TV series from the Producers of Westworld & based on Michael Crichton's book in the works at H

Wow, surprised they're resurrecting this property. The feature film is garbage. At least on HBO, it will have room to breathe.
Old 08-27-20, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: Sphere TV series from the Producers of Westworld & based on Michael Crichton's book in the works at H

Yeah I'll wait for the reviews on this one. The '98 movie felt like a bad retread of '89's The Abyss. Nothing about the story is very original or compelling (oooo, water and aliens!) so I hope they bring something to it, though this team's record so far is "meh". . . .
Old 08-27-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts

HBO always gets the benefit of the doubt.
Old 08-28-20, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Big fan of the book. Not a big fan of the movie. I'm really not sure how they'd extrapolate it out to a series. But with Jonathan Nolan involved, we can be sure it'll be entertaining for at least half a season.
Old 08-28-20, 10:19 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I was not a fan of the movie. I remember that I rented and watched it once, but I don't remember anything about it except the poster. Let's face it, there was a whole glut of so-so Michael Crichton adaptations in the wake of Jurassic Park and this was one of them.

I remember loving the novel when I read it as a teenager, though, I think it's still my favorite Circhton novel. I haven't revisited any of them, that could be fun. I could use a good novel to relax.

We don't have cable or HBO, so you'll all have to let me k ow how this show goes.
Old 08-28-20, 10:45 AM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by starseed1981
Big fan of the book. Not a big fan of the movie. I'm really not sure how they'd extrapolate it out to a series. But with Jonathan Nolan involved, we can be sure it'll be entertaining for at least half a season.
Same here, big fan of the book, but the movie was so poorly executed. The way Nolan has treated the Westworld story, I'm sure we'll see the overall concept, but a whole lot of it changed up. Not happy though that this is being made into a series. I'd prefer some kind of limited one where they tell the same story as the book and leave it at that. Westworld was ripe for exploring and expanding, but Sphere was just a contained story. No need to expand on that.

Last edited by E Unit; 08-28-20 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-28-20, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 48 Likes on 44 Posts

I actually liked the book AND THE MOVIE. I am intrigued to revisit the story in a mini-series. Being on HBO is not the best since I don't subscribe.
Old 08-29-20, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

The movie wasn't that bad. It was a popcorn flick with sci-fi undertones. Kind of weird casting but I generally remember enjoying it.
Old 08-29-20, 10:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Book was decent. Movie I remember being pretty bad.

Maybe after this one they can move on to "Congo".
Old 08-31-20, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 211 Likes on 178 Posts

I actually recently re-watched the movie and thought it had its moments but was a mess, particularly with the casting.
Old 08-31-20, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 389 Likes on 279 Posts

I have not seen the movie in a decade or more but just read and enjoyed the book. Not sure how they get more than a limited series out of this with 8 episodes but that's Hollywood...