Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-20, 12:38 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
re: Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

There are parts of this show that move at 2x normal speed for me... and it feels like they are cramming too much into the episode. I'd like it to slow down a bit and not be so frantic.

The slower moments are where the true humor of this show lies... not in the freneticism.
Old 08-17-20, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
Ep2 was decent enough. Like that it's canon but doesn't take itself seriously.
Is it supposed to be cannon? From the interview I read with the creator of the show, he said the show "wouldn't contradict cannon". But just because it doesn't contradict cannon, doesn't meant it is cannon. It seems like it is more like the novels. They don't violate cannon when they are written, but eventually could once a new show or movie comes out, like what happened with Picard or all the TOS movies.
Old 08-18-20, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

Canon, not cannon.

Two eps and I think I am out. Beckett is just too much of an asshole, and everything is so frantic. I like the premise of focusing on the ship's grunts, and how they would be more casual about the day-to-day work they do, but so far it seems like the joke is just that Beckett doesn't give a shit but manages to avoid death while putting her friend through hell, over and over.
Old 08-19-20, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
There are parts of this show that move at 2x normal speed for me... and it feels like they are cramming too much into the episode. I'd like it to slow down a bit and not be so frantic.

The slower moments are where the true humor of this show lies... not in the freneticism.
^this
I dunno maybe it's just me but I can't follow fast frenetic dialogue in shows. Well I can but it's not enjoyable. Is this what all cartoons are like today? I've never watched R&M. Teen Titans, the new Mickey Shorts are all this frenetic high speed pace. While I like some of the content its just so fast. I guess that's the dopamine rush of today's entertainment world.

As far as the show itself I have absolutely no idea what to think of it. It's like it's so wild and crazy I'm still processing it. Like WTF did I just watch? I liked some parts of it and especially the little callbacks to those obscure references that reward long time fans of trek. (Section 31 has a speed walk ). But it was just so insane to see Star Trek like this. I knew it would be wacky and offbeat but this was a little much. I'll still keep watching it though. It's only 20 mins.

Part of me wishes it was a little younger in tone though maybe more like Teen Titans so I could watch it with my 8 year old and introduce her to Trek. I really applaud them for trying something new and trying to gain a new audience. Well the show creators anyways. Screw the executives for hiding new trek behind a paywall. *Edit: an esoteric paywall.
Old 08-20-20, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

First episode of Lower Decks is up on youtube:

And, for those who missed them, all of last season's Short Treks are up, too. CBS All Access must be in a generous mood this week!

Q&A:

TROUBLE WITH EDWARD:

ASK NOT:

EPHRAIM AND DOT:

GIRL WHO MADE THE STARS:

CHILDREN OF MARS:

Should probably act quickly, I doubt they'll be up for long. (They were already posted about a week ago.)
Old 08-20-20, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,101 Likes on 797 Posts

I'll be the super-nerd who complains that The Trouble with Edward undoes a nice joke from the ST canon.
On the DS9 Tribble episode, it's established that ridding the Klingon Empire of tribbles was a great feat, and the implication was that the tribbles got there because Scotty beamed them onto the Klingon ship in the TOS episode.
Edward creates an alternate canon explanation for how the Empire got infested with tribbles.
Old 08-21-20, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

I didn't make it through the first episode. I actually love the concept and think it could make a decent live action show done well. But what the hell? I actually like the snappy fast dialogue of 40s movies and like the Vast of Night had, but thisis almost incomprehensible and the plot was just kinda dumb. I might try again but not sure.
Old 08-22-20, 07:18 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Ep3 was cute. I like how a lot of the maneuvers and even fighting moves are named after Kirk and the TOS era.
Old 09-01-20, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought how the commander was able to take out a huge opponent just by using the double fisted punch was hilarious.
The following users liked this post:
Giantrobo (09-01-20)
Old 09-01-20, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,810 Likes on 1,130 Posts

Yeah isn't the weird double fist thing a Kirk Move? I thought of Kirk as soon as he did it.

EDIT: Yep it is, I googled Kirk Double Fist fighting. I forgot they call it "Kirk Fu"!

From Kirk Fu Fighting To O’Brien Memorializing, ‘Star Trek: Lower Decks’ Easter Eggs In “Temporal Edict”
tanman (09-02-20)
Old 09-01-20, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,739 Likes on 1,888 Posts

I googled "double fist" and all I found was a Jenna Haze and Belladonna video.

But, yeah, that double-fisted punch Kirk favored always seemed weird to me, even as a kid, because it looks like you're going to lose a lot of momentum doing that, and a good single-fisted swing would make a harder and more accurate blow than doubling up the fists. It just feels so awkward to do.

Giantrobo (09-02-20)
Old 09-02-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

We're caught up finally and I am digging this show. It manages to be funny and take digs at Star Trek tropes while still remaining Star Trek. I loved the bit where they promoted Mariner to try to bore her into quitting, though I wonder how many times they can promote/demote someone before they finally kick them out. She does show that she has intelligence and the ability to think in a crisis, so that counts for something.

And very fun to see all the department heads being supportive of Rutherford wanting to try new things. That's the progressive future we need.
Giantrobo (09-02-20)
Old 09-06-20, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm still undecided. But like the Orville it has toned down it's general wackiness a touch to make it a bit more palatable. Again I'm glad they're trying something new with Star Trek.
Old 09-10-20, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Do you know hard it is to get cheese out of fur?!"

One of the things I love about this show is the real food the crew is always eating. Burgers, nachos, taco bowls, whatever Fletcher was chugging in this episode. And I'm loving the recurring theme of the senior staff taking credit for the win, after the Lower Deckers figure it out.

Old 09-12-20, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

Loved all the shoutouts to the TNG holodeck episodes this week.
Giantrobo (09-16-20)
Old 09-16-20, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Love this show.
Old 09-18-20, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I’m enjoying this show a lot more the the first seasons of Discovery and Picard. They are not setting up anything so it hit the ground running. Pretty sure they cribbed a sound effect from Star Wars in episode seven.
Old 09-19-20, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved the Division 14 twist. Nice to know Starfleet actually holds to its ideals.

And a peer of Mariner is already captain? That’s gotta put her in her 30s, even if Starfleet is fast tracking after the Dominion War. Apparently the voice actress is 37 so maybe around there. I’m actually enjoying this idea of her actually being smart and competent- she just doesn’t want to be responsible for others.

I wish The Dog could have escaped on the Cerritos so it could pop up at random times in other episodes.
Old 09-24-20, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have not laughed so hard and enjoyed a Trek story so much in a long time.

Stealing a Bird-of-Prey from Vulcans should not be such an interesting plot point but this shows makes it work.
Giantrobo (10-02-20)
Old 09-25-20, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 156 Likes on 96 Posts

Spoiler:
I love the Roga Danar reference and the very special guest appearance by John deLancie as Q

Giantrobo (10-02-20)
Old 09-29-20, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The last two episodes have been really good. The farm was hilarious with a lot of surprise denizens and references. Including "Anthony".

Veritas was really good too. I loved the gimick of Rutherford updating his OS and it keep having to reboot and him waking up at the worst times. I literally lol's at the
Spoiler:
fan dance and the gorn wedding

There are some really deep cuts and references in here that are just a gold mine. As huge of a fan as I am it's tough getting all of them. I wonder if this show has any appeal at all outside of fans.
Old 09-29-20, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

I'm really enjoying this show (and I'm not much more than a very casual Trek fan) and IMO it's getting funnier.
Old 10-02-20, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Veritas was hilarious.

I thought dude sounded like Kurtwood Smith.
Old 10-02-20, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,205 Likes on 1,508 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Veritas was hilarious.

I thought dude sounded like Kurtwood Smith.
I did notice Kurtwood's name in the end credits, so there you go.
Old 10-02-20, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ep 7 References.

Bandoman (10-08-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.