DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/650870-star-trek-lower-decks-now-paramount.html)

Josh-da-man 07-12-20 03:03 PM

Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

Couldn't find a dedicated thread for this, so I started one.

Finally got a trailer.

Ten episode first season. Premieres Aug. 6 on CBS All Access.

DJariya 07-12-20 03:05 PM

Star Trek: Lower Decks (CBS All-Access) — Animated — Premieres 8/6/20

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...cfe74b816.jpeg

This is from one of the writer and producers of Rick and Morty

Deftones 07-12-20 03:10 PM

re: Star Trek: Lower Decks (Now on Paramount +)

Incorrect. Writer producer of R&M. He did create Solar Opposites, though.

Mike86 07-12-20 03:12 PM

Ugh.... Star Trek what have they done to you? If Discovery and Picard didn’t dig the hole already this show is putting the franchise into its grave.

Xiroteus 07-12-20 03:42 PM

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Hmmm, that's not quite what I was expecting.

Eric F 07-12-20 04:06 PM

Re: Star Trek: Lower Decks

Seems like a combination of The Orville and Futurama.

It does not look very good.

Tom Banjo 07-12-20 04:21 PM

My bar is apparently lower than most. Looks fun to me,

hdtv00 07-12-20 06:39 PM

Sigh.....

Josh-da-man 07-12-20 07:43 PM

I am loathe to invoke the dreaded "c-word" here, but I have to ask: Will this be official canon?

Mike86 07-12-20 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 13771460)
I am loathe to invoke the dreaded "c-word" here, but I have to ask: Will this be official canon?

Supposedly yes from what I’ve read.

milo bloom 07-12-20 09:49 PM

It was a little more “more” than I was expecting but in a good way. I think this will help bring some new energy into the franchise that will help counter how some folks feel about Discovery and Picard.

Mike86 07-12-20 09:59 PM

Those shows are too dark and serious for Star Trek. This is too stupid for Star Trek. I don’t mind bits of comedy scattered throughout some episodes, but I don’t want full on dumb, goofy in my Star Trek.

Draven 07-13-20 10:56 AM

This looks super fun - Star Trek has always had an issue with taking things so seriously (and only focusing on the bridge crew). Looks like a fun direction!

Bandoman 07-13-20 01:58 PM

I'll give this a try, I like that Trek world is trying new things.

Giantrobo 07-13-20 02:03 PM

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...344eb5e695.jpg

DJariya 07-13-20 02:03 PM

I think it looks fine. I'll give it a try. It's something different. I don't want to be one of those who has content written in my head and when something doesn't look like what I have scripted in my head, I get upset or disappointed.

Giantrobo 07-13-20 02:07 PM

Been looking forward to this for some time now. :lol::up: It's a GOOD time to be an Open Minded Trek Fan...

The Cow 07-13-20 02:31 PM

First I have heard of this, but I'm interested and will give it a shot.

Mike86 07-13-20 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by DJariya (Post 13771839)
I think it looks fine. I'll give it a try. It's something different. I don't want to be one of those who has content written in my head and when something doesn't look like what I have scripted in my head, I get upset or disappointed.

I don’t have something scripted in my head, but I do have ideas of what Star Trek should be. This isn’t it. If others like it that’s fine.

As I’ve stated numerous times in the past I’m not a blind fanboy who likes anything with the name of one of my favorite franchises slapped on it and will just eat anything places in front of me up.

Draven 07-13-20 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13771863)
I don’t have something scripted in my head, but I do have ideas of what Star Trek should be. This isn’t it. If others like it that’s fine.

As I’ve stated numerous times in the past I’m not a blind fanboy who likes anything with the name of one of my favorite franchises slapped on it and will just eat anything places in front of me up.

These days the “blind fanboy” seems more likely to hate the new thing their favorite franchise is trying.

Mike86 07-13-20 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Draven (Post 13771877)
These days the “blind fanboy” seems more likely to hate the new thing their favorite franchise is trying.

Not true in every case, but okay. -rolleyes-

brayzie 07-13-20 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13771361)
Ugh.... Star Trek what have they done to you? If Discovery and Picard didn’t dig the hole already this show is putting the franchise into its grave.

I thought you were being melodramatic but I just saw the trailer and I kinda agree. It was cringey.

It’s just one more example of modern Trek trying to play catch up and doing it poorly.

Galaxy Quest did the loving parody all the way back in 1999. And it did Star Trek better than the TNG movies at the time.

Futurama came out the same year too.

It’s funny because recently I’ve felt that Rick and Morty is kind of like Star Trek with it’s sci-fi premise, episodic nature, and exploration of alien worlds.

Mike86 07-13-20 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie (Post 13771961)
I thought you were being melodramatic but I just saw the trailer and I kinda agree. It was cringey.

It’s just one more example of modern Trek trying to play catch up and doing it poorly.

Galaxy Quest did the loving parody all the way back in 1999. And it did Star Trek better than the TNG movies at the time.

Futurama came out the same year too.

It’s funny because recently I’ve felt that Rick and Morty is kind of like Star Trek with it’s sci-fi premise, episodic nature, and exploration of alien worlds.

I mean I half was being melodramatic. :lol: Still though, it looks like hot garbage and nothing at all like what I personally want/expect from Star Trek.

brayzie 07-13-20 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Mike86 (Post 13771965)
I mean I half was being melodramatic. :lol: Still though, it looks like hot garbage and nothing at all like what I personally want/expect from Star Trek.

This looks like a safe, diet version of Rick and Morty but people are saying it’s copying something called Final Space as well.

Mike86 07-13-20 05:54 PM

Good point about Galaxy Quest. It’s a good example of something similar to Star Trek with comedy thrown in, but not over the top and wacky. The Orville seems similar in tone to Galaxy Quest (haven’t watched much of it but that’s how it comes across).

This looks like it’s trying way too hard. They clearly are going for that Rick and Morty audience, which I get is popular and trendy right now, but also isn’t my thing. So it’s not surprising that this doesn’t appeal to me.