TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Yellowstone (Paramount) -- Season 3 Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-20, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts
Re: Yellowstone (Paramount) -- Season 3 Thread

Originally Posted by Neil M.
This has to be at least a 2 season arc. No way they fight this battle in a couple episodes.
That's a fair point. I have a theory about some things that will happen but we'll see.
Old 08-11-20, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I'll finish out this season but I don't know how much I care about season 3 at this point. It's a decent show at best but so many characters are unlikeable and it's not like Succession where its fun to dislike the characters. "Sawyer" seems to be wasted in the series with a bit part and playing the occasional foil to Beth. I expected more out of the season.
Old 08-11-20, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
I"Sawyer" seems to be wasted in the series with a bit part and playing the occasional foil to Beth.
You would think a high roller like him could do better than that Covid-19 self-haircut.
The following users liked this post:
whotony (02-20-23)
Old 08-17-20, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

The last couple episodes have been the best of the season. There was some meandering earlier in the season but the plot is shaping up nicely. I was surprised the drifter returned and is now in deep once again.
jalapenowookie (11-11-20)
Old 08-17-20, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The last couple episodes have been the best of the season. There was some meandering earlier in the season but the plot is shaping up nicely. I was surprised the drifter returned and is now in deep once again.
I find the whole "get a brand, stay for life" or be killed thing insanely ludicrous. As is the casual way this show approaches murder. Do people really align with these concepts in the show?

As was mentioned, clearly a multi-season arc, the whole thing just seems to be starting.
Spoiler:
Conjecture: Drifter betrays them in last episode

Also, this episode made me hate Rip more than I did before. He is a horrible evil human being. The only character seemingly with any conscience left is Kacey.

Best line: "The luster of this place is starting to wear off"

This is not a great season. Will I watch next year? Yep, it's oddly compelling despite being batshit crazy and unrealistic filled with utter psychopaths.
Old 08-17-20, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
I find the whole "get a brand, stay for life" or be killed thing insanely ludicrous. As is the casual way this show approaches murder. Do people really align with these concepts in the show?

This is not a great season. Will I watch next year? Yep, it's oddly compelling despite being batshit crazy and unrealistic filled with utter psychopaths.
I was a bit surprised to see the branding come back; I thought that was a generally "forgotten" part of the much darker first season.
While I differ with you on a few things, I agree that the show is oddly compelling in spite of itself, and I find I want to watch it close to airing, which I don't do with some other shows.
Old 08-17-20, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I was a bit surprised to see the branding come back; I thought that was a generally "forgotten" part of the much darker first season.
While I differ with you on a few things, I agree that the show is oddly compelling in spite of itself, and I find I want to watch it close to airing, which I don't do with some other shows.
What do you differ on?
Old 08-17-20, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 215 Likes on 190 Posts

What do you differ on?
I don't have your all-consuming hatred of Rip.
Old 08-18-20, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Rip is easily the best character of this series.
Old 08-18-20, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by d2cheer
Rip is easily the best character of this series.
I feel the same way. His loyalty to John is a bond that will never be broken. He saved him as a kid and from a government perspective he doesn't exist.
I always root for him
Old 08-18-20, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Yeah I think most people watching the show would probably be rooting for the Duttons. Personally I've grown to love Beth. For all her mental issues, she's one of the strongest characters on the show.
Old 08-18-20, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by DWilson
I don't have your all-consuming hatred of Rip.
From the posts below it seems many agree. I don't know I tend to think loyalty is not an excuse to be a casual murderer. My boss tells me to go off someone, it's just not happening. I think this guy has close to zero redeeming qualities. Would be a horrible world if Rip was held up as a standard of how to behave.
Old 08-18-20, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by kantonburg
I feel the same way. His loyalty to John is a bond that will never be broken. He saved him as a kid and from a government perspective he doesn't exist.
I always root for him
So all the killing for papa Dutton is OK? Just because he is loyal??? It reminds me of people thinking the Kylo Ren and Darth Vader are redeemed because they do one good deed. Certain actions don't have a magical balance sheet
Old 08-19-20, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So all the killing for papa Dutton is OK? Just because he is loyal??? It reminds me of people thinking the Kylo Ren and Darth Vader are redeemed because they do one good deed. Certain actions don't have a magical balance sheet
There's been some questionable killings but a majority of them are justified. Killing Wade was old style justice. He literally attempted to murder two of his people and fell for the trap of going after the drifter. If you want to talk about killing people who just want to leave, then I agree. But most of the people killed are bad people.
Old 08-19-20, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by Neil M.
There's been some questionable killings but a majority of them are justified. Killing Wade was old style justice. He literally attempted to murder two of his people and fell for the trap of going after the drifter. If you want to talk about killing people who just want to leave, then I agree. But most of the people killed are bad people.
The Beth attacker ones were justified the others were just plain murder.

The medical examiner? Murder

The guy they threw off the ledge? Murder

The drug addicts that killed Jimmy's grandfather- maybe understandable but murder

Wade- old school justice or not- murder, though that one bothers me least and you could make an argument I think it was justifiable homicide

Covering up Jamie's murder- accomplice after the fact

He would have killed the bikers for having a cookout on their land

Plus these are just the ones we have seen in the 3 years of the show. He had clearly been to that ledge many times as well.

Bad people or good people murder is murder at least to me. Won't mention it again.
Old 08-20-20, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 811 Likes on 685 Posts

Yellowstone makes more sense if you view it as a metaphor for the end of the Western frontier.
Why So Blu? (12-15-20)
Old 08-23-20, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Omg this show is ridiculous 🤣

I don't know which was worse. Cassie being governor, Rip digging up his Mom or Jimmy getting thrown again

Edit to add, now order 66 on the Dutons.
Old 08-24-20, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck
Omg this show is ridiculous 🤣

I don't know which was worse. Cassie being governor, Rip digging up his Mom or Jimmy getting thrown again

Edit to add, now order 66 on the Dutons.
I have to give them credit for acknowledging the mass murderer Kip is but then they went out of the way to show that for pretty much all of them killing is just what they are.

Have to save hot barrel racer girl started off like wrf? but she has become the voice of all reason in the show for the most part other than convincing Jimmy to do what he did. Think they are going for the "who dies?. who lives?" cliffhanger though I think we all know who those will be. It is intriguing on who hired whom though.
Old 08-24-20, 04:26 AM

Received 93 Likes on 74 Posts

If they make Jamie the person behind the hits I'm out. There simply was not enough time from his conversation with his bio dad to the hits to make it possible.

Now maybe the bio dad planned the hits after Jamie reached out to him the first time.

Old 08-24-20, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

I don't think any of the people they set up as those possibly behind the hits were behind the hits. As the above poster pointed out, there was simply not enough time for Jamie to put that together, Roarke has no good reason for a hit at this point (he still has the upper hand in the negotiation), and Rainwater wouldn't send men with machine guns after the Duttons...he'd be more "old school."

My theory: Those biker dudes from California came back to ice Kayce and John. I think the bomb may be completely unrelated and from a different culprit, but who knows?

Anyway, all of these actors are signed for Season 4, right? So no one is dead. Last night reminded me of that episode of Dynasty where the cast got shot up in a hail of bullets at that wedding in a foreign country, only to return the next season with none of the main cast hurt.
Old 08-24-20, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Yeah if it was Jamie, it was a faster heel turn than Anakin. Tho him telling Rip to never call again was of course suspect.
Old 08-24-20, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If I had to guess, it's probably a mix of all 3. I'm guessing Jamie's father hired the ones to go after John. I'm a little confused though. Was Beth at her office and if so, wasn't she fired? I'm not sure how she'd be allowed back in there.
Old 08-24-20, 05:39 PM

Received 702 Likes on 455 Posts

I want to like this show so much, but this is the type of stuff that turns me off. The way they just go around killing people without any fear of repercussions is just so far beyond reality.
jpcamb (08-28-20)
Old 08-28-20, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

after that finale, the show is on thin ice for me. Really not sure I want to see the next season how all of them magically live thru the hits. And Sawyer seems wasted on the show, not sure why they brought Josh in for this season as he has done very little.
Old 08-30-20, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts

Originally Posted by jpcamb
after that finale, the show is on thin ice for me. Really not sure I want to see the next season how all of them magically live thru the hits. And Sawyer seems wasted on the show, not sure why they brought Josh in for this season as he has done very little.
Remember, this is a show that retconned John Dutton's terminal cancer into a stomach ulcer. Once they did that, we shouldn't have been surprised at anything else that happened.
jpcamb (08-31-20)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.