Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Lego Masters

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Re: Lego Masters

Star Wars themed episode this week, was pretty interesting. I kind of had an idea how the ending was going down. I can't believe that one team picked that Battle Of Crait. I would have thought that would be the hardest to implement.
Old 04-10-20, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I thought the Hoth diorama was the best by far. The female judge's criticism that the AT-AT could have used an explosion on it to add color was ridiculous. Prior to her comment, the male contestant reminded the judges that its armor was too strong for blasters, so how could there be an explosion? I thought the red explosions in the Crait diorama were too tall, and Endor dioramas in general never impress me because the redwood trees end up looking like nothing more than tall logs from the lack of foliage.
Old 04-10-20, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Sheesh, did no one on that show actually watch "The Empire Strikes Back?" Geek hat on -- The downed AT-AT (and yes, they pronounced it correctly although I'll never stop calling it an "A-T A-T" as "at at" makes no damn sense given all the other AT models) could've shown a small electrical explosion around the neck or if they wanted a bigger boom have a Snowspeeder blast it to smithereens after it was downed and its shields deactivated -- Geek hat partially off.

Realistically Hoth was always going to be a hard sell given the monochrome nature of the scene as all that Scottish lady looks for is "pop" and character development, hence all the gushing over a bunch of minifigs on the Endor build. Crait was a head-scratcher for sure but they actually made it look pretty good. But take any random ten people off the street and over half of them are going to pick the Hoth build as the scale was spot on and the scene so iconic.

Next week looks pretty nifty with the animal builds.
Old 04-11-20, 05:18 AM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

What’s the point of having a competition show if they’re not going to send people home 2x?
Old 04-11-20, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I thought this one was pretty solid. The robot builds were interesting. Tyler & Amy, appropriately won. Their droid was adorable and the movement was great (when they finally got it to work) Boone & Mark's had the technical down, but it wasn't all that impressive looking. Sam & Jessica had a decent concept but execution was lacking.

As for the big builds, I kinda agreed with the judges on all three builds. The scope of Endor was great and the small details like fallen logs, the hang gliding Ewok, and the bridge were very cool.

I was super impressed that Jessica and Amy pulled off Crait so well. It was visually appealing and the only cons for me were that some of the scale seemed off. The rebel ship was huge compared to the bunker door where it supposedly came from. Also agree about the explosions, they were a bit too large.

Hoth's scope was massive and doing not one, but two AT-AT's was damn cool. I personally loved the generator design which didn't even get a mention. Overall though it was just kinda ho-hum looking.

All three were impressive in their own ways so I was glad to see them all stick around. A finale with only two teams would be weird.
Old 04-11-20, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Eric F
What’s the point of having a competition show if they’re not going to send people home 2x?
Reminds me of The Amazing Race with their non-elimination legs... although I must admit I'm glad the losers in this week's episode didn't go home because I think they've proven many times that they produce quality work and deserve to be in the final two along with the bearded guys. Both teams have 4 wins. I'd rather see it come down to those two teams than a competition that includes the team that won an episode with ewoks.
Old 04-11-20, 10:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I liked the Droid competition but having seen so many dioramas of each battle (on Brothers Brick and elsewhere) I thought that doing the common battles wasn't that interesting. They should have either pulled out some obscure ones or done something different ...
Old 04-12-20, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric F
I think the problem was, that one team absolutely does NOT deserve to be in the top 2, but somehow their model was better than the other couple, so it would have been tough to justify sending them home.
Old 04-12-20, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
I think the problem was, that one team absolutely does NOT deserve to be in the top 2, but somehow their model was better than the other couple, so it would have been tough to justify sending them home.
yes. Just like the time the frat bros dropped their cityscape legos moving it and the producers extended the challenge to allow everyone to fix their LEGO build.
Old 04-14-20, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 382 Likes on 307 Posts

Originally Posted by joeblow69
Exactly... I hope next season we get some more competitive teams. The husband / wife, bearded bros are heads and tails better than everyone else. I thought the two younger guys had some nice builds but they were almost always a runner up or third. Still, they were consistently better than the guy in the dress and his friend.
Old 04-16-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Although I liked the peacock & monkey model the best in last night's episode, I was ok with that team not winning the whole enchilada. Didn't care for the skyscraper model. I think the right team won.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (04-16-20)
Old 04-16-20, 08:35 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts

I can do better.
Old 04-16-20, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 272 Likes on 201 Posts

How much were the judges swayed by the pregnancy announcement though?

I thought the cityscape that the two guys built was the best of the three.
Old 04-16-20, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 69 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by windom

I think over the course of the season, the judges have tended to favor character and animal builds over buildings when given a choice. It was pretty clear that Tyler and Amy won based on the comments as the judges were trying to steer Mark and Boone to something else. The peacock looked great and may have had a chance if the tail moved or if there was more layout like the build that Amy and Tyler did.
Old 04-17-20, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

While Tyler and Amy's Griffon and lizard were cool... I was blown away by their ground details... that was why I thought they won. The waterfall, how they built up the mountain-scape, etc. Really great attention to details. I'll miss this show.
The following users liked this post:
chowderhead (04-17-20)
Old 04-17-20, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts

One thing is for sure, Tyler and Amy definitely win this month's award for most-annoying couple. They did build some pretty cool models over the course of the season, though, so they definitely are deserving winners.

Seriously, I think they were holding out till the end to announce that news. Good strategy.
Old 04-17-20, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 213 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by funkyryno
One thing is for sure, Tyler and Amy definitely win this month's award for most-annoying couple. They did build some pretty cool models over the course of the season, though, so they definitely are deserving winners.

Seriously, I think they were holding out till the end to announce that news. Good strategy.
They mentioned it the second week (I think), -but they definitely mentioned it before, and casually in those "What we'd do with the money" musings.
Old 04-17-20, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They announced the pregnancy a few episodes prior to the finale, but it still could have been in the back of the judges' minds when they chose the winning team.
Old 04-17-20, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

I didn't think they were. My family all agreed that the best team won. The couple had technical skill and were easily the most creative the entire show.

I thought the cityscape was the worst of the three and was really disappointed in those guys. Fuck...it was just a half building with a bunch of mini-figures doing poses. I can see why the judges tried to steer them into something more creative. I was glad they lost. I thought that they were going to actually be more competitive than that at the end.
Old 04-19-20, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

I thought this was a great finale because all 3 builds were damn good. I think the "right" team won though and actually my top 3 would be in the same order. Tyler and Amy have been the most consistent through the whole season. I guess I'm not a cynic like everyone else. The pregnancy thing didn't even cross my mind. Just seeing all their builds again in the highlight reel just confirmed it. I'm glad the judges pointed out the griffon's multiple points of articulation moving. That was damn cool.

I liked Mark & Boone's second. All the little details were fun especially the mechanical paint brush and the various paint colors dripping off the walls, but in the end it was just a three wall building. It desperately needed a giant character attacking it or something like their Killer Hot Dogs or Amy & Tyler's giant carrot monster.

Sam and Jessica came a long way on the show. They had a rough start but they really came on in the last few episodes. The peacock and whole concept with the monkey was quite original but it was just a static build which hurt it since the other two teams had animation. If they had mechanized the monkey pulling the feather out and the peacock's expression changing as it was plucked then I think the judges would have had a much harder time placing them in third. Also, Jessica and her style is adorable. I found her much more fun to watch than the cosplay girls who got most of the attention.

Originally Posted by Rob V
While Tyler and Amy's Griffon and lizard were cool... I was blown away by their ground details... that was why I thought they won. The waterfall, how they built up the mountain-scape, etc. Really great attention to details. I'll miss this show.
That's what I was telling my daughter. Unfortunately they kinda glossed over the base of the build and just focused on the larger elements.

Hopefully it's back for a second season. Since they've aired this one it will attract a bigger pool of builders (who are interested and applied) to pull from and have stronger teams next season.
Old 04-20-20, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I thought I read that this was def renewed? I hope that's true.
Old 04-20-20, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

My daughter thought of an interesting idea. She really wanted to see what the 2 masters could do in x amount of hours. Would they be that creative? It's quite different if you give me months to work on something vs. 12 hours.
Old 04-20-20, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Rob V
I thought I read that this was def renewed? I hope that's true.
I can't find any mention of it being renewed yet but it appears the Australian version got a new second season so maybe that bodes well for the USA version???
Old 04-20-20, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 809 Likes on 683 Posts

I would prefer if audiences actually picked winners and losers.
Old 04-20-20, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
I would prefer if audiences actually picked winners and losers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.