Reload this Page >

The Mandalorian: Chapter 7: The Reckoning (S1E7) - 12/18/19

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Mandalorian: Chapter 7: The Reckoning (S1E7) - 12/18/19

Old 12-20-19, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 57 Likes on 27 Posts
Re: The Mandalorian: Chapter 7: The Reckoning (S1E7) - 12/18/19

OK, but the Jedi were an organization for thousands of years. They ran shit. They have a council of their highest ranking members. People might take an interest in that. I will give you that people on backwater planets might not know those names. That’s fine.

What bothered me was an empire soldier talking to Darth Vader about his “nutty fake religion” like he was someone who wouldn’t know about those things.

As I was typing that I thought about flat earthers and creationists. Ignore all my arguments.

Old 12-20-19, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely a much better episode than the last 2-3. I think we all know where the next episode is heading in some capacity regarding IG-11. Hopefully it turns out well.
Old 12-20-19, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 141 Likes on 78 Posts

After watching 'Rise of Skywalker' last night, it's pretty clear why the Empire guys want the Baby Yoda.

Spoiler:
This was likely around the time that Palpatine was cloning Snoke (you can see a few failed Snokes in a tank in a scene with Kylo and the emperor).

Old 12-20-19, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Awe shit - Mando has one hell of a cliffhanger!

By the way - my son and I whistle the theme song after ever ep.

Old 12-20-19, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14 View Post

A reminder that Deborah Chow, who directed this episode and episode 3, will be directing the Obi-Wan series in full.
Old 12-20-19, 09:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Can someone please pm me, donít want to read thread till I see, but this was finale, right? Whatís listed in IMDb for 12.27 is probably some special, right? Thanks.
Old 12-20-19, 09:36 PM
Premium Member

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by OldBoy View Post
Can someone please pm me, donít want to read thread till I see, but this was finale, right? Whatís listed in IMDb for 12.27 is probably some special, right? Thanks.
It's in the 3rd post. You can read that far.
Old 12-20-19, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 63 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow View Post
It's in the 3rd post. You can read that far.
No he doesn't have that ability
Old 12-21-19, 07:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 203 Likes on 160 Posts

Oh hell yes ... Favreau figured out a way to redo The Holiday Special and backdoor it in to us! Iím going with that theory. 7 actual episodes and a modern Life Day Special out of nowhere!
Old 12-21-19, 07:54 AM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

what are you high?
Old 12-21-19, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 109 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt View Post
Solid finale...assuming one isn't looking for answers to anything about Baby Yoda.

Who knew TIE fighters could land like that? My toys have been incorrectly designed for years!
Thought the way Moff Gideonís Tie landed was awesome. Caught me off guard for a bit as I was thinking if I had been remembering wrong but they usually keep the vertical wing orientation when landed. Must have been a custom job or something.
Old 12-22-19, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 107 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff View Post
Oh hell yes ... Favreau figured out a way to redo The Holiday Special and backdoor it in to us! Iím going with that theory. 7 actual episodes and a modern Life Day Special out of nowhere!
I had the same theory. Waittita is a wacky guy. Iím hoping episode 7 is a cliffhanger that will be picked up in season 2 and that episode 8 is a stand-alone wacky Mandalorian Life Day.
Old 12-22-19, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by spainlinx0 View Post
Do military leaders from other countries have superpowers that I’m not aware of?

I just always found the way the prequels were handled a little weird. The Jedi has a council that spanned millenia and they weren’t a secret organization. They were like intergalactic cops who had bright swords and were superhuman. Everyone knew them.

In less than 50 years, people acted like they were a myth? I never really got that.
Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
You don't think there would have been many stories about him and how he led armies during the Clone Wars or fought the Emperor in the Senate chamber? If you're aware of major world events that happened in the last 50-100 years, I don't see why we'd assume that all of the Jedi have been forgotten across the "world" of SW.
Originally Posted by majorjoe23 View Post
But these aren’t world events. They’re intergalactic events. Everyone on Coruscant might know about him, but characters in the outer rim? People are talking about planets like they’re other countries, but it’s not like someone on Tattooine would ever set foot on another world, or even hear much about another. If there are thousands or millions of other populated worlds, you might not keep track or whoever is the most powerful Zoroastrian or whatever millions of light years away.
I have an explanation for all this based on real events here on earth, but if I’m going to go to all the effort to find it and repost it then I hope you guys will hear me out and listen to it.

Similar questions were raised back when TFA came out.

Last edited by Mabuse; 12-27-19 at 05:12 PM.
Old 12-22-19, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Here it is.

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I just listened to a podcast that contained a tremendous amount of relevance to The Force Awakens, especially some of the things the film gets criticized for.

Some have been critical about the idea that Han, Luke, The Force, etc seem to have been forgotten, slipping into the realm of myth in a single generation.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/radi...are?act=2#play

This episode of This American Life (it's part 2 "Who Wants to Know") is about two kids, brother and sister, whose father played a role in a rebellion against a superpower. The brother has no memory of his father who died before he was born, the sister has only the faintest of adolescent memories.

A key moment comes when the sister refers to her father's actions as now being a myth. This is a guy who died only 26 years ago and his own daughter regards his leadership and battles and the war he fought as now being a myth residing in a file cabinet that even she doesn't fully know anything about. Does that sound familiar?

Another criticism of The Force Awakens revolves around The First Order and how, after the Empire was soundly defeated, something so similarly oppressive and similar looking could come along and carry on. The podcast recounts the last 30 years of Iranian political history. It tells how after deposing of one evil, undemocratic "Emperor"-like dictator, the rebels cheered that peace and secular democracy would finally arrive only to find that in just a short matter of time an equally repressive group, with an even creepier more evil looking figure head (the Ayatollah Khomeini), would come to power and terrorize the rebels yet again.

Not only is the story of the two siblings very good, but I think it really lends credence to the screenwriters and proves that what we're shown in The Force Awakens is very much aligned with things that can genuinely occur in history.
​​​​​​​
Old 12-23-19, 01:52 PM

Received 302 Likes on 215 Posts

Ok... I

Old 12-23-19, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I feel like Favreu must have been a big fan of the SW toys. The Imperial Troop Transporter in this episode was one of those toys that didn’t actually appear in the movie.

I had a Yoda an IG-88 and a Bobba Fett. But I didn’t make them interact much. The Mandalorian is like somebody shook up the toy box. I love it.
The following users liked this post:
mikehunt (03-23-20)
Old 12-23-19, 09:14 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

While I do like the show and characters, It hasnít really been about anything till now and last ep. They were all isolated with only Yoda as tie. You donít wait for 2 half hour eps at end of season to finally have a story...
Old 12-26-19, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The first 3 were a continuous story and the last 2 are a continuation. So more like 5/8 had a story. And I enjoyed the stand alone ones too.
Old 12-27-19, 09:39 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
The first 3 were a continuous story and the last 2 are a continuation. So more like 5/8 had a story. And I enjoyed the stand alone ones too.
Ep4 introduced the Gina Carrano character, Ep5 may be a factor later with the mystery character at the end of the episode. Ep6 characters will probably come back at some point and the droid did listen to the message for Mando, so maybe that played a factor as well. Yes they were mostly singular adventures, but they weren't completely pointless.
The following users liked this post:
mewmartigan (12-27-19)
Old 12-30-19, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan View Post
You don't think there would have been many stories about him and how he led armies during the Clone Wars or fought the Emperor in the Senate chamber? If you're aware of major world events that happened in the last 50-100 years, I don't see why we'd assume that all of the Jedi have been forgotten across the "world" of SW.
Well at the end of Ep3, Palpatine declares that the Jedi tried to assassinate and basically paints them as a rogue organization to the rest of the public. It's not a leap to think, as someone else suggested, that anything Jedi related has been suppressed and/or erased from official records. Plus, the emperor could go even farther to not want ppl being aware of the Force as that may raise curiosity of what it is, leading to them learning about the Sith, and maybe investigating too closely into himself and Vader.

On top of that, who knows how many millions were killed during the Clone Wars, then the purging done by the empire (e.g. Alderaan goes bye bye), and the blowing up of two death stars. A lot of ppl who may have had knowledge of such force wielders history are now gone. This show also takes place in the Outer Rim, far away from the day to day knowledge of the main galactic senate, where the jedi probably rarely ventured.

Old 12-30-19, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 124 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by VinVega View Post
Ep5 may be a factor later with the mystery character at the end of the episode.
I would assume that was Darth Fring Moff Gideon.

Old 03-23-20, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Mabuse View Post
I feel like Favreu must have been a big fan of the SW toys. The Imperial Troop Transporter in this episode was one of those toys that didnít actually appear in the movie.

I had a Yoda an IG-88 and a Bobba Fett. But I didnít make them interact much. The Mandalorian is like somebody shook up the toy box. I love it.
Agreed. My family had that transport toy too. It made an appearance in Rebels too
Old 03-23-20, 04:18 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm hoping S2 has a huge transport in the shape of Darth Vader's head.
Old 03-23-20, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TGM View Post
I'm hoping S2 has a huge transport in the shape of Darth Vader's head.
Maybe they can visit a droid factory too.