Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

The Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 10 Thread (Beware of Spoilers if you care) -- Premieres 10/6/19

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 10 Thread (Beware of Spoilers if you care) -- Premieres 10/6/19

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-21, 04:34 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 10 Thread (Beware of Spoilers if you care) -- Premieres 10/6/19

Originally Posted by DJariya
Yeah I know, some here like you simply got bored of watching this show. It's no longer the pop culture phenomenon that it was 5-7 years ago.
I just hate the narrative that Negan killing Glenn made the audience abandon the show.

It was that they just never introduced any new characters that people cared about.

Old 08-05-21, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,661 Likes on 2,629 Posts
Re: The Walking Dead (AMC) -- Season 10 Thread (Beware of Spoilers if you care) -- Premieres 10/6/19

Originally Posted by TGM
I just hate the narrative that Negan killing Glenn made the audience abandon the show.

It was that they just never introduced any new characters that people cared about.
I know it's long in the tooth and the seasons are really long for a cable show. So I understand that you and others simply just don't find it compelling anymore.

I only made that comment because a few posters here made comments that they just found the show too dark and depressing and the Glenn, Abraham and company getting beaten to death was the last straw.
Old 08-05-21, 06:59 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 402 Likes on 251 Posts

sure it was depressing, but if they cultivated new people to carry the torch it would've been fine. I think I watched for 2 more seasons after Negan was introduced and my wife and I couldn't remember the names of 90 percent of the characters, and we didn't care enough to be bothered. lol.

I'm still bitter about it all, the show was amazing at one point... such a waste.

Is the Andrew Lincoln series/movie/whatever DOA?
Old 08-05-21, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Yeah, outside of the situations the characters find themselves in and constantly doing stupid things - the lack of any decent new characters is a big problem.

They kept killing off main characters, which is fine, but replaced them with minor characters for the most part and just gave the long lasting ones more screen time.
As was mentioned, there are so many characters that have minor roles in the show that I can't even recall their names. This has been an issue for about 5 seasons now.
Old 08-06-21, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 137 Posts

And long lasting characters aren't necessarily fit for being pushed into lead roles solely because they weren't killed off already (Maggie).
Old 08-07-21, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 90 Likes on 77 Posts

Yeah majority of the issues with the show boils down to killing off good characters only to replace them by a bunch of B & C characters, and propping up characters into lead roles solely for not being killed off.
Trimming the fat and introducing some decent characters would go a long way for the show. But heck they've announced an end, so I guess I'll watch till the end... But I've dropped all of the spin-offs.
It really says something when Negan is practically the sole character left making the show semi-watchable.
Old 08-07-21, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Koby
It really says something when Negan is practically the sole character left making the show semi-watchable.
Yes, and not the over-the-top baddie Negan either - but the prison-reformed more subtle Negan.